Quantcast

» «
Photo

Would you rather...

23 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you rather (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you rather

1. An amazing film (18 votes [39.13%])

Percentage of vote: 39.13%

2. An amazing television series (28 votes [60.87%])

Percentage of vote: 60.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Sore Butt
  • Sore Butt

chillin' like a mega villain

• The Precinct

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:23 PM

I know this is going to receive some adverse opinions but I would prefer an amazing television series to film. Maybe I have a short attention span but I prefer being able to watch an episode or two rather then committing to an entire feature length movie. I prefer watching the plot unfold gradually and a story being told. I love discovering a new series I've never seen before and being able to dedicate days to watching each episode.

This also got me thinking about the discrepancy between film actors and TV actors and the differences in their wages.

Just curious as to your opinions.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:27 PM

This is a tough one. In today's age, there can be some good TV series, like Band of Brothers. But I'll go with movie. They may be shorter, but most of the time a lot more effort is put into it.

meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Gaming] 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2010

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:33 PM

In depth character and plot development, something new to look forward to every week. I love good movies and will certainly say a lot more production resources go into them but I'll go with television series to get me through the weekends.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:46 PM

I went with film only because it is more of a challenge to make something amazing in the shorter running time.

An amazing TV series may have an amazing base plot, great acting, great direction, and beautiful production, but they also get the luxury to miss fire on large chunks of time. Heck, there could be an entire 1hr episode that just plain sucks. An amazing movie does not get that luxury.

I'll stop there otherwise I will just start ranting and rambling.

Edit:
forgot to add the I agree with darthYENIK

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:32 AM

Gosh, I didn't think it would be that hard to choose between TV series' and films. For me, TV series' edged out films by a very small margin. There's something about these series that even after unending seasons after seasons of the same show, they make you keep coming back for more. I guess it's that urge inside that makes you want to know how it's going to end and you don't wanna miss anything in between. In contrast, films make it a little easy for you since they get over in a couple of hours. TV series, on the other hand, have it tough since they have to make sure that their fan-base doesn't get bored after the first few seasons. They have to continually ensure that they catch the audiences' fancy every single season until the very end. Many a times, the writers might hit a block that could jeopardise the series. With a film, the director knows what's going to happen from start to finish as he has it all planned out at the very beginning and it's much more easier that way. So, yeah, making a successful TV series is more absorbing than making a film.

Rockworm
  • Rockworm

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:47 AM

A good movie is a fun watch and all but you watch it and move on. With a good tv show you got hundreds of hours of quality entertainemnt that you can enjoy and if its really good rewatches are fresh. I can't say that about movies.... I mean sure a great movie is a fun rewatch but its the shows I remember more.

AmyJones
  • AmyJones

ADVIL CHAMPION

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:49 AM

I for one avoided those sarah conner terminator episodes. f*ck off.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:01 AM

I like both, but for different reasons. Having studied film theory, I see a great movie as something to absorb and analyse. As such, watching a film is more a mental exercise than a way to be entertained for a couple of hours. That sounds very douchey, but there are certain things that are drilled into you for so long that you can't switch them off. As soon as the production company logo pops up, I feel like I am required to judge something.

Now, these feelings do translate to TV series to a degree, but I am much more able to sit back and merely enjoy a good show, rather than automatically pick it apart. There's something about the difference in presentation which shuts off that part of my mind. I am also able to tell myself that the criteria is different for shows, and that screenwriters are required to fill much more time than they would with a film. So, I'm a lot more lenient when it comes to TV.

So, both. Depending on what I want to get from it.

Hecate
  • Hecate

I am for the air.

• NATO
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:57 AM

I'll put in for a great series, simply because I'd like something amazing to watch weekly. I love movies, more than most television programmes, so I'd like some contrast there. I'd also like to be drawn into a show like I was for Dexter or The Sopranos again - those shows literally gave me hope that another would rise up one day.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica
  • Yardie Achievement Award

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:07 PM

I'll go with a good TV show over good movie any time. I enjoy character development, great story that can last for years etc. Movies are great but like Rockworm said, you watch them and move on. I still haven't moved on after watching LOST. I'm obsessed to the f*ckin' bone and I'm proud of it.

Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:18 PM

Even the best shows can get stale, but I can watch a great film over and over and still have it feel fresh.

I prefer to pop in a great film than run through entire seasons, or the entire series itself. I love TV, but I watch too much as is, so I'm sticking with film.

However, Boardwalk Empire seems to blend them both. And that's why I love it.

Rockworm
  • Rockworm

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Oct 15 2010, 13:07)
I'll go with a good TV show over good movie any time. I enjoy character development, great story that can last for years etc. Movies are great but like Rockworm said, you watch them and move on. I still haven't moved on after watching LOST. I'm obsessed to the f*ckin' bone and I'm proud of it.

LOL I still obsess over 24.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:40 PM

There are good series shot more cinematic-ally. Great series are few and far between though. I would say The Sopranos is better than most films I've seen and the same with The Wire but there's way more great films than there are great series.

I'm suppose I'm 50/50 on it. Although, some series change their storyline to accommodate actors leaving etc and it's not always good. Also T.V. series like Lost whore out more tripe to get people watching and stretching more series out making it up as they go a long. Where films stick to that good story and it ends. If they make a sequel you're not so obliged to watch it and it may not be representative to the original as it may have different writers, directors and producers and it wont matter if there's some inconsistency as you know the original is the original. Or some sh*t, lol

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Oct 15 2010, 16:40)
There are good series shot more cinematic-ally. Great series are few and far between though. I would say The Sopranos is better than most films I've seen and the same with The Wire but there's way more great films than there are great series.

I'm suppose I'm 50/50 on it. Although, some series change their storyline to accommodate actors leaving etc and it's not always good. Also T.V. series like Lost whore out more tripe to get people watching and stretching more series out making it up as they go a long. Where films stick to that good story and it ends. If they make a sequel you're not so obliged to watch it and it may not be representative to the original as it may have different writers, directors and producers and it wont matter if there's some inconsistency as you know the original is the original. Or some sh*t, lol

I think this post summed up what I think right down to the letter.

But if I were forced, in some weird situation, to pick between my favorite television show and my favorite film, I'd go for the TV show.

Lithium
  • Lithium

Draugr

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:06 PM

I voted for film!

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:52 PM

There seems to be a verb missing from the question.

Gantons Most Wanted
  • Gantons Most Wanted

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:25 PM

definitely has to be a television series because the duration can be alot longer but most importantly develop the story and characters over a longer period of time.

Big Slow
  • Big Slow

<3 629

• The Connection

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:36 PM

Definitely a TV series. I don't even see how it's a question really. Why settle for 2 - 3 hours of great entertainment when you can have multiple years of it, with a possibility of spin-offs? I liked Stargate the movie when it first came out, but I think I've walked away with far more satisfaction with the 4 television series that spawned from it than I ever would from the original itself.

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:52 AM

Imagine if The Wire or Battlestar Galactica were 1.5hr movies.

I guess that's my answer. tounge.gif

markwey
  • markwey

Cool Cat

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:44 AM

Amazing television series.

One like Miami Vice was cool.gif

Sore Butt
  • Sore Butt

chillin' like a mega villain

• The Precinct

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ Oct 19 2010, 07:52)
There seems to be a verb missing from the question.

cryani.gif

I realise it is a bit of an apples and oranges argument but I was genuinely interested in some of your opinions.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:17 PM

I think that a television is ultimately superior because it gives us something very important - closure.
We become emotionally invested in characters like Tony Soprano or Walter White. And whilst a film can cut off at a certain point and be lauded as being 'artistic'. A whole, sprawling series can let us get inside the protagonists mind so that the ending is fulfiling, final and fitting for the character.
Nothing is more important than the ending for me. That's often where TV has an edge over movies and games in terms of storytelling.

Lithium
  • Lithium

Draugr

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (Markwey @ Oct 22 2010, 05:44)
Amazing television series.

One like Miami Vice was  cool.gif

It's funny how your over seas and love this show. It reminds me of how they always say people over there get everything from North America years later (Ie. like in Euro trip, "Miami Wice number 1 new show!" hahaha. biggrin.gif

Canofceleri
  • Canofceleri

OG

• The Connection

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:04 PM

Depends. There are too many amazing films. The quality of even some of the better TV shows rarely matches the quality of the best films, in my opinion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users