Quantcast

» «
Photo

Dota 2

50 replies to this topic
jelly
  • jelly

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:54 PM

Hey, guys. GUYS. Yeah. Ignore Poached Cod 54 and Medals of Fire 23 for a while.. There's something else you should be salivating over.

user posted image

Valve's New Game Announced, Detailed: Dota 2

The rumors and speculation can cease. Valve is making Dota 2, we've played it, and it's already amazing even though it's not coming out until next year. And we haven't yet laid eyes on Dota 2's biggest innovation: a radical approach to integrating the game's community back into the gameplay itself.

What's a Dota?

Dota 2 takes its name from the Warcraft III mod Defense of the Ancients, a drastic change to that stock real-time strategy title, which pits two teams of five players against each other in highly competitive, 40-minute or longer matches. Unlike most RTSes, DotA has each player controlling a single hero who levels up and stockpiles gold to purchase powerful equipment and consumables. As computer-controlled armies continually spawn and rush the enemy's base, players are responsible for using their powerful heroes to turn the tide of the battle in their favor.

DotA quickly gained massive popularity on Blizzard's Battle.net service, with the growing community utilizing user-created channels and the rudimentary custom game browser to connect players. As mods tend to do, it branched into several variations as time passed. Eventually, one rose to the top: DotA-Allstars, originally created by Steve "Guinsoo" Feak (now employed with Riot Games designing League of Legends). Allstars is currently maintained and updated by IceFrog (who declined to give his real name), who was hired by Valve in 2009 and is now working on Dota 2.

user posted image

DotA enjoys such unprecedented popularity for a number of interconnected reasons. The game has a skill curve as long and as wide as Counter-Strike or StarCraft; expert players dominate matches with lesser-skilled individuals solely through manual dexterity and hard-won knowledge. Extensive upgrade paths allow players to combine items into more powerful versions, gaining thousands of hit points or powerful life-stealing attacks. Team play is hugely rewarded; though the map is large enough for all ten players to spread out and fight creeps on their own without anyone engaging anyone else directly, late-game play is almost invariably centered around giant 3v3 or even 5v5 team fights.

The mod has benefited from excellent, long-running support in the form of constant updates that add new content or address balance issues. Said balance is good enough that no dominant team composition or strategy has ever taken hold for long. The heroes are varied enough that a match featuring different team rosters can take on an entirely different character from the last.

The enormous following generated by DotA's deep gameplay is unprecedented. Today, years after its release, a third-party site hosting an update can get hammered by more than six million downloads in a day. The mod spawned a new subgenre, commonly referred to as "action-RTS," that contains two successful commercial games in League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth (and the unfortunate flop Demigod) as well as DotA-Allstars itself. Valve Corporation, the company beloved for its Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, and Left 4 Dead series as well as its outstanding Steam digital distribution and matchmaking platform, is making its entry into this still-growing genre next year with Dota 2.

What Does Valve Bring?

Valve's approach to Dota 2 is unusual in that the gameplay itself is remaining almost entirely untouched. "Our first reaction is to assume that [design elements are] there for a reason," project lead Erik Johnson explains. "IceFrog is one of the smartest designers we've ever met. He's made so many good decisions over the years in building the product. He virtually never makes a decision that doesn't have some reasoning behind it and a way to pick apart the logic behind it." This approach means that Dota 2 basically is DotA-Allstars with new technology.

DotA-Allstars' roster of 100+ heroes is being brought over in its entirety. The single map games take place on is functionally identical to the one that you can download for free today in the Warcraft III mod. Items, skills, and upgrade paths are unchanged. Some hero skills work slightly better due to being freed from the now-ancient Warcraft III engine, but Dota 2 will be instantly familiar to any DotA player.

A few things will make significant differences to players making the transition. Dota 2 uses Valve's Source engine, so the game is much prettier. Source itself is getting a few upgrades, including improved global lighting and true cloth simulation. Dota 2's integrated voice chat is a huge step up from having to set up your own Ventrilo server, and the speed of voice communication is very nearly a requirement for a game as team-focused as DotA.

AI bots will take over for disconnected players, and will be available to play against in unranked training matches as well. However, don't get your hopes up for a full-fledged single-player game, though. Johnson says, "Our goal with the AI is just that their experience isn't destroyed just because one person couldn't finish the game."

The visual style is remarkable for retaining the somewhat cartoony feel that the Warcraft III version of DotA-Allstars is built around, while going in a few different directions. "I think there are functional aspects to the art that are pretty significant to the players," Johnson muses. The environment, particularly in the forests that fill in the map between the three lanes that the NPC armies follow, uses a desaturated color scheme to give the colorful heroes and abilities some visual pop. The sizable art team is putting a lot of work into making the shapes and animations of each hero distinct to the point that players will be able to instantly identify any hero they see and quickly gauge the threat level of any situation.

The game will also feature a ton of custom voice work. You'll get amusing lines from heroes as they deny the enemy team last hits on creeps, and champions who have backstory connections will trade quips when nearby.

The bulk of innovation in Dota 2, however, is ancillary to the gameplay itself. Valve is upgrading Steamworks (the company's backend technologies for matchmaking and other gameplay and community-related things) to allow them to create in-game rewards for participating in the Dota 2 community. The idea is to have everything a player does in or out of game tie back into their online identity. Like the improvements to Source, the Steamworks upgrades will be available to third-party developers who choose to use Valve's tools when Dota 2 launches in 2011.

At a basic level, posting useful feedback or participating in constructive discussions on the forums will contribute to your standing in the community in a visible way. Valve doesn't have the specifics on how this will work nailed down yet. Will you get points that contribute to a visible ranking, like a Gamerscore? Will your posts need to be recommended by other community members to count for anything? What counts as a constructive discussion? These questions are all being actively explored at the moment. Valve assures us that the designers have a slew of awesome ideas for how to implement rewards in a way that’s visible to the rest of the community, but there are no details to announce yet. "When we talk about this identity that exists inside and outside the game, we don't think we're anywhere near it with what exists on Steam right now," Johnson admits.

If this was just about getting points for posting comments, though, we wouldn't waste your time by telling you about it. Dota 2 goes much farther than that. Everything from unlocking new skins for your favorite hero to getting a unique title for writing a strategy guide is on the table. Valve has ambitious plans (for which, again, there are no specifics to share) to host everything themselves and provide the best framework for the community to interact with each other. The idea is to reduce the social friction inherent in having to dig around a bunch of different fansites and wikis to find what you're looking for.

http://gameinformer....ed-details.aspx

Yeah, so, lots to digest. Basically one of the most awesome mods in the world is now gonna be remade into a proper standalone game by the most awesome developer in the world. Do you really need to know more? Well, now that you've realized it's gonna be awesomest awesome of course you do. The reveal article linked above is hooge, SO GO READ IT!

Chinatown Wars
  • Chinatown Wars

<3 Chris

• Members

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:51 PM

I feel you man

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:51 PM

2011? Is that Valve time or human time?

Chinatown Wars
  • Chinatown Wars

<3 Chris

• Members

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:53 PM

basshunter should totally make a 3rd remix when this releases

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:08 PM

I used to play Dota a few years ago, this looks nice. icon14.gif

Kuruma.
  • Kuruma.

turnt up

• The Yardies
  • Scotland

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:27 PM

i don't want to sound ignorant or anything but wtf is dota?

AndyGanteks
  • AndyGanteks

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Contribution Award [Sports]
    Most Skilled Player 2013
    Best Event 2013 "GTAF Gang League 2013"
    Most Valuable Player 2012
    Best Contributor [Multiplayer] 2012
    Most Valuable Player 2011
    Winner of World Cup 2010 Prediction League
    Best Event 2010 "GTAF Gang League 2010"
    Most Valuable Player 2010
    Best Team Player 2010

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (gta3kuruma @ Oct 13 2010, 22:27)

http://en.wikipedia....of_the_Ancients

rdbx1234
  • rdbx1234

Cow-tippin Crack Baby

• Members

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:50 PM

this sh*t is so popular in the philippines..

I played the mod like once or twice at the internet cafes after peer pressure but never really got into it.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:16 PM

http://icefrogtruth.blogspot.com/

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE (gta3kuruma @ Oct 13 2010, 17:27)

Is to hard to use Google man?

Chorup
  • Chorup

Trick

• Members

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:28 AM

This is awesome. I've been playing Dota for years and over the last year and a half or so I've been playing Heroes of Newerth a lot. I'm surprised they didn't mention HoN since it's basically the same game. I've never played LoL but it doesn't really appeal to me from what I've seen.
If they get Icefrog on board and it's more of a continuation of the WC3 Mod, then Dota 2 will be better than any of the other Dota replicas out there. I'm looking forward to some more news coming out on this. Huge blow for HoN and LoL one would think though. Each will have to bring something new to the table, that's for sure.

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:04 AM

QUOTE (Street Mix @ Oct 13 2010, 22:16)
http://icefrogtruth.blogspot.com/

I'm gonna guess sockpuppet blog from either HoN/LoL developer or fanboy.

baptiste
  • baptiste

Docking request accepted

• Zaibatsu

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:55 AM

I've never been a fan of arena type of game. Much prefer proper RTS the likes of Starcraft 2 or smth.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (gta3kuruma @ Oct 13 2010, 15:27)

Did you miss the whole "What's Dota?" Part of the OP?

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Zaibatsu

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:58 AM

I've played DoTA, used to love it at first but got tiresome of it after hours of playing it. Shadow Shaman kicks ass!

Glad that it's an independant game now!

PHCharls
  • PHCharls

• Members

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:00 AM

From the studio that brought us Half-Life, Portal and Team Fortress, the next big thing will be Dota 2. That's a new Defense of the Ancients game coming to PC and Mac in 2011.

Valve describes the game as "a massive sequel for one of the most played games in the world."

Dota is shorthand for "Defense of the Ancients," a style of real-time strategy game that requires players to channel and protect herds of computer-controlled minions as they attack an opposing force. DOTA games have been popular since they were birthed as a mod for WarCraft III.

GameInformer.com spilled the first official details, saying that the game runs on Valve's Source engine and includes voice chat. Gameplay appears to be faithful to the series' roots, supporting three-lane maps and focusing on multiplayer competition (with artificial intelligence taking over for players whose connections drop.) Graphics are upgraded, though said to follow in the original cartoony style birthed in the original. Steamworks-based achievements will be able to reward players for actions in the player community as well as in the game.

Also intriguing is Game Informer's description of a coaching system:

By logging in as a coach, veteran players can do their part to help out newer folks. Valve hasn't entirely decided on the specifics of how newbies and coaches will be matched up, but once they're together a few things happen. The coach sees the pupil's screen, and gets private voice and chat channels to communicate with them. The coach probably won't be able to take control of anything directly (once again, the details are currently under discussion), but information is power in Dota 2 and having a mentor whispering in your ear can make all the difference in the world.
IceFrog, one of the lead developers behind DotA games is making the Dota 2 project for Valve, the company said. IceFrog was hired by Valve last year. IceFrog has been maintaining the most recent version of the core game, DotA Allstars.

Rumors about a DotA game from Valve have been intensifying lately, since the revelation that the company was trying to trademark the DotA acronym, a move that did not go down well with all fans of the genre.
Dota2 Link

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:41 PM

I have to confess this whole DOTA thingie isn't really my cup of tea, so I won't really comment on the game. However it looks like Blizzard may be spoiling for a bit of a scrap with Valve over all this :-

QUOTE (Blizzard Dude)
“Valve is usually so pro mod community. It’s such a community company that it just seems like a really strange move to us… I really don’t understand why [they would do it], to be honest.”

QUOTE (Blizzard Dude)
When asked what would happen if Valve objected to Blizzard’s use of the DOTA name, Pardo replied “Our response is that they don’t own the term DOTA at this point. It’s something that they’re filing for.”

source :- http://www.rockpaper...ota/#more-42499

So there could be a bit of bitch slapping in the works by the looks of it and hell if there is one thing the software industry excels at is girly bitch fighting tounge.gif .

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:27 PM

HEP HEP HEP

http://www.rockpaper...tions-answered/

Vin.
  • Vin.

RD loves me.

• The Connection

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:51 PM

This is going to be epic.
And i wouldnt get into a sh*t fight with Blizz. Just call it something else.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:13 PM

Does anyone else think that Valve is being kinda dicks for copyrighting something that originated as Warcraft mod? Warcraft belongs to Blizzard, and mod belongs to the mod community. It feels like a dick move. I know it's Valve and they'll take a good care of the game but it just doesn't feel right.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:04 PM Edited by Indi., 15 August 2011 - 11:20 PM.

Bump dis sh*t yo.
http://www.ausgamers...ws/read/3099508

Trailer released.

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:27 PM

New Counter Strike, more (cinematic) footage on DoTa 2... I don't care about it I want more cool/real Valve stuff.

New Day of Defeat? New Left 4 Dead (eventhough I think they should let the games be as they are and just expand on it with their DLC)? Goddamn f*cking Half Life 3/Episode 3???!!!!

Law0070
  • Law0070

Not Your God...

• Members

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:22 AM

it looks really awesome biggrin.gif

lkkarus
  • lkkarus

Trick

• D1RTY12
  • Canada

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:10 PM

Can't wait, used to play Dota alot till I migrated over to LoL.

Law0070
  • Law0070

Not Your God...

• Members

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:42 AM

little update
one link: http://www.dota2.com.../international/
a few things: live streams, games to be seen, a beta to sign up for etc biggrin.gif

the game has been played, the replays been posted, the livestreams are being broadcasted on the web...it's awesome, really

gonna sign up for the beta now

though some heroes got fxcked over and doombringer lost his fire ability?

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:24 PM

Yeah, been having some fun watching the tournament. I don't know much about the game (and only two of the teams ._.), but it's still interesting. Stakes are also pretty high at $1mill.

lkkarus
  • lkkarus

Trick

• D1RTY12
  • Canada

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:49 AM

I hate all the dumbasses who think Dota 2 is a ripoff of LoL...

baptiste
  • baptiste

Docking request accepted

• Zaibatsu

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:19 AM

QUOTE (lkkarus @ Tuesday, Aug 23 2011, 00:49)
I hate all the dumbasses who think Dota 2 is a ripoff of LoL...

You really shouldnt even be near those people.

Law0070
  • Law0070

Not Your God...

• Members

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:30 PM

http://games.ign.com.../1189750p1.html

YES YES YES YES YES!

woopwoop, still, what saddens me is all those morons considering this a brand new game, a new competitor for DotA, whilst they barely know the existance of the first DotA!

I hope more people will be attracted to be playin' dota again (the old one)

I actually made a Thread about DotA 1 on these forums...hope you don't care i post a linky here...it wasn't much of a success, didn't seem like a popular game on these forums lol

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:40 PM

They must be idiots to choose some retarded dota 2 over BF3, Diablo 3 and Skyrim and other nice games.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users