PC Multiplayer

6 replies to this topic
Boooster
  • Boooster

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:00 AM

Hi,

I've tried searching around the web for this but everything I have found has either been for X-Box or back from 2008-2009.

Essentially when I play GTA IV multi-player I have a difficult time connecting to games. I can get into 1 out of every 4 or 5 games I try to. When I try to join a game it gives me the loading screen for awhile, and the says "Disconnected from game session". This happens 99% when I try to join bigger games of 8+ people, and 80% for smaller games. Usually I keep trying and it works.

Also, if by chance I succeed at joining a big game of 12+ or enough people join my smaller game to make it big, I am usually kicked out after a few minutes (it says everyone has left). I know it isn't my internet connection because it is 15 Mbs, and I know it isn't slowdown in my computer that is causing it - any ideas what can be done?

My router has UPnP enabled but in my network information tab in GFWL UPnP is Not Available, and NAT Restriction is on Moderate.

Any help would be much appreciated.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:17 AM

Here is a list of ports that should be open

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=415686

Boooster
  • Boooster

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:56 AM

Hi, those ports have been open the whole time. DOes it have something to do with UPnP not being available (even though it is available via the router and my firewall)?

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:50 AM

Try this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934430

Boooster
  • Boooster

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:07 AM Edited by Boooster, 11 October 2010 - 11:19 AM.

Ok, I played around with the firewall and it seems to have been a step in the right direction. Now my GFWL account detecs UPnP and sees my NAT as Open. I was able to join a big 20 person game on my second try which was great, but I was dropped after around 4 minutes. It didn't just have everyone leave like before, but told me that connection to one or more player shave been lost. I'm going to assume this is either because of my connection or because I am on wireless.

Thanks for the help - much appreciated! I hope this will be the start of more stable games smile.gif

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:54 PM

Detailing a bit what you did exactly may come in handy for someone else in the future.

Boooster
  • Boooster

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:44 PM

Ok, pretty much the setup I had before I started changing things was to have UPnP enabled in my router and the following ports open (enabling port forwarding):

UDP 88
TCP+UDP 3074
TCP+UDP 80
TCP+UDP 53
TCP+UDP 443
TCP+UDP 1096
TCP+UDP 2074

With this I was still getting dropped and looking at my network information (GFWL -> Settings -> Network Information) I saw my UPnP was not available and NAT was Medium,

I use AVG firewall so I went into firewall settings added GTAIV.exe and RGSClauncher.exe as "Allow for All" in application settings.

When I checked network information in GFWL I saw that UPnP was Available and NAT was Open. Ever since then it seems to be working.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users