Photo

Official Soul & Funk Topic

26 replies to this topic
Cheat
  • Cheat

the only people for me are the mad ones

• The Connection

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:14 AM

user posted image S oul music is a music genre originating in the United States combining elements of gospel music and rhythm and blues. Soul is "music that arose out of the black experience in America through the transmutation of gospel and rhythm & blues into a form of funky, secular testifying." Catchy rhythms, stressed by handclaps and extemporaneous body moves, are an important feature of soul music. Other characteristics are a call and response between the soloist and the chorus, and an especially tense vocal sound. The genre also occasionally uses improvisational additions, twirls and auxiliary sounds.

F unk is a music genre that originated in the mid-late 1960s when African American musicians blended soul music, soul jazz and R&B into a rhythmic, danceable new form of music. Funk de-emphasizes melody and harmony and brings a strong rhythmic groove of electric bass and drums to the foreground. Funk songs are often based on an extended vamp on a single chord, distinguishing it from R&B and soul songs centered around chord progressions.
Like much African-inspired music, funk typically consists of a complex groove with rhythm instruments such as electric guitar, electric bass, Hammond organ, and drums playing interlocking rhythms. Funk bands sometimes have a horn section of several saxophones, trumpets, and in some cases, a trombone, which plays rhythmic "hits".
GenreDescription
Smooth SoulSmooth soul is a subgenre of soul music that developed in the early 1970s from soul, funk and pop music in the United States. The subgenre experienced mainstream success from the time of its development to the late 1970s, before its succession by disco and quiet storm.
Smooth soul is characterized by melodic hooks, funk influence and smooth production style. Unlike pop-soul, which predominantly featured dance-oriented music at the time, smooth soul was more ballad-oriented with generally romantic and seductive lyrical themes.
Neo soulNeo soul is a term describing a style of music that emerged from soul and contemporary R&B. Heavily based in soul music, neo soul is distinguished by a less conventional sound than its contemporary R&B counterpart, with incorporated elements ranging from jazz, funk, and hip hop to pop, fusion, and African music.
Developed during the 1980s and early 1990s as a soul "revival" movement, neo soul emerged into the mainstream with the commercial and critical breakthroughs of several neo soul artists during the 1990s, as it was marketed as an alternative to the producer-driven, digitally-approached R&B of the time.
P-FunkP-Funk is a shorthand term for the repertoire and performers associated with George Clinton and the Parliament-Funkadelic collective and the distinctive style of funk music they performed. The P-Funk groups had their heyday in the 1970s and continue to attract new fans thanks both to the legacy of samples they bequeathed to hip hop and the live shows that the bands continue to perform.
Regional GenresLike with many other genres, different styles of soul music can be located throughout the map of the States, most notably Chicago Soul, known for Jerry Butler, Curtis Mayfield and their group The Impressions, Memphis Soul as represented by Al Green, Booker T. & the M.G's and many other artists - including Isaac Hayes - from Stax Records and Hi Records and Detroit Soul, also known as Motown for the legendary Motown Records, with Marvin Gaye and numerous other artist each give the soul music their own vibes and sounds throughout the United States.

* Thanks to Wikipedia for most of the info and the description

First off, shoutout to Tony.Cipriani for creating the original thread, but after asking Mark about it, we decided that it's about time to create a new one since the old one's latest post is from March '08.

----------------------------

Soul. Funk.
Hate it or love it, these groovy genres majorly influenced most of the modern popular music - hip hop, house, disco music, contemporary R&B, even some of rock and punk have soul and funk in their roots.

Whether it be soft, smooth soul or rockin', sexistic funk, everybody, from punks to hip hop heads have at least one soul and/or funk track they like to participate with. That's what we do:

Post music, discuss music, enjoy music.
I'lll start with my 3 favorite groovy tunes.

Curtis is my all-time favorite, even though rap is my dominant genre, I don't love any rapper's songs as much as I do Curtis'. Pure talent.
Rest in Peace, legend.

Isaac is second, but they can't really be compared.
This is a rather rare track, most of you probably haven't heard it, but you'll like it.

I love The Meter's drumbeats and basslines, that's what you call groovy n' funky.

meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Gaming] 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2010

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:54 PM

Great intro, very informative.

Cheat
  • Cheat

• The Connection

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (meta187 @ Oct 3 2010, 17:54)
Great intro, very informative.

Thanks, I was trying to do a Soul & Funk 101 kinda thing icon14.gif

You know meta, as far as I know, you're not a regulard soul/funk listener (correct me if I'm wrong), but you can come up with joints I'm not even aware of - well, except for the Remy Shand joint.
You see I'm kind of a old school type of a guy - I like Marvin, James Brown and 'em fellas, but don't get me wrong - I love the new stuff, I'm just not too aware of it. I should expand my knowledge though!

Really liked that Take A Message, it's a classic.

Jazz-funk is also a groovy subgenre, that I didn't list though, but those are just examples, not any types of limits.
I believe most have heard this track - either the original or a sampled version. It's golden.

LanceVanceDance07
  • LanceVanceDance07

Endless...

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:46 PM

I listen to my fair share of Soul and Funk music, it's a wonderful genre of music. It influenced the type of music I listen to now.

@meta: That Remy Shand song is awesome, love it

Here are some funky classics...

Suihkubad
  • Suihkubad

Peon

• Members

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:58 PM

How about a topic where there is actually some conversation instead of "here are my favorite songs lol *ten youtube windows*"

Is funk dead? The only new funk I've heard are some "professional" musicians with music degrees playing funk from a sheet when funk is dirt created in a 5m*5m room with ten musicians playing for 10 hours straight. Not some perfectly played jazz. Maybe rap has taken funks place in undergroundness and dirtyness

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:04 PM

@Cheat: I actually grew up listening to a ton of things, funk included. My father listened to a lot more of the folk and classic rock, my mom the Motown R&B and Soul along with a lot of Elvis. I don't think they intentionally branded me with diverse tastes but I'm sure having all those records and cassettes laying around at both of their homes really helped to expand my horizons on the music tip.

Suihkubad: Well funk has certainly been sort of used as a hybrid towards a ton of other genres at this point. George Clinton and a number of other classic artists still do a lot of collaborations and new tracks from time to time but true contemporay standouts are hard to come by.

Contemporary Funk:

The Funk genre has lost most of its popularity since the 1970s, but saw a mini-revival in the early 1990s due to the sampling of Funk songs by hip-hop artists. Examples of popular contemporary funk artists include Soulive and funk pioneer George Clinton, who's still recording new music after more than three decades. Also, many rock bands use a stong funk element in their music, including Primus and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

That's not to say no one is still making the music here are a few contemporaries.

Can't get enough of this girl. ^

Very soulful White Stripes cover.

Cheat
  • Cheat

• The Connection

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:46 PM

To repeat myself, funk evolved into/influenced many of the biggest genres nowadays; hip hop, rock, even some of punk, a lot of experimental and contemporary rock artists nowadays have surprisingly much funk in them.

Not to forget about subgenres - electro music, funk-sampling electronic music most known from the works of Afrika Bambaata and Word Class Wreckin' Cru, nu-funk (a lot like acid jazz) and funk jam, the way I see it is that funk lives as these genres for the most.

--

@meta ahh, cool. I have noticed that you have a really wide - and a really good - taste of music.
Liked that Nicole Willis & Soul Investigators track a lot icon14.gif
@LanceVanceDance Give It To Me Baby is pretty much the most legendary song I've heard wink.gif

Despite all the talk on subgenres, Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings have proved that real soul and R&B still lives.
One of my favorite groups of these genres, too.

If someone doesn't know, P.O.D. are actually nu metal, alternative metal and everything in between, but this Funk Jam from their '96 album Brown is sooo funky.
You can hear the punkish bass and all the great drumwork, the funky wah-wah guitarring, kinda reminds me of Santana, just... Better.

Kraak & Smaak are a great example of electro music at it's best.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:07 PM

I was just listening to this track today. I got introduced to it from listening to the Beastie Boys as they sampled it on their track Car Thief. I love it!

gizmo
  • gizmo

aka JuVeNiLe

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:00 AM

my new favorite place on gtaf. smile.gif

and sharon jones is queen of soul right now. she's like 3'8" tho haha.

johnny_zoo
  • johnny_zoo

Aces!

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:10 AM Edited by johnny_zoo, 20 October 2010 - 09:13 AM.

Speaking of funk music are there any Jamiroquai fans here their long awaited new album Rock Dust Light Star releases on the 1st of November. biggrin.gif

I for one cant wait its been 5 years since the last very poor album, by their standards anyway. So now Im looking for a return to some of their earlier work circa 1992/96. And judging by the 30 seconds teasers on iTunes it should be great!

Cheat
  • Cheat

• The Connection

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:28 AM

@JuVeNiLe cool man, glad to hear you like it! Loved that Curtis you posted, but hey - there isn't a Curtis Mayfield track I wouldn't digg!
@johnny_zoo I'm not a regular listener of Jamiroquai, but I have been trying to start listen to his music a lot lately - if the new album gets acclaimed, I'll probably get it.

Just a random gem I felt like posting. Can't get enough of this.

Same for this, you just gotta play it over and over again! tounge2.gif

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:04 PM

No mention of James Brown or The Bar-Kays? What the fu-?

Cheat
  • Cheat

• The Connection

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (Indi. @ Jun 2 2011, 00:04)
No mention of James Brown or The Bar-Kays? What the fu-?

Well, no Supremes, Tavares, Chi-Lites, Delegation, Dynamic Superiors, Earth Wind & Fire, Manhattans, Lyn Collins, Syl Johnson, Willie Hutch, Carpenters or Ohio Players has been played yet, do you want me to go on biggrin.gif ? We're way early in the topic, I already thought the topic is long gone and dead, but thanks for the bump, and the good music.

This has got to be my favorite Tavares joint, always something to wind everything down to, and a definetly beautiful love jam. Tavares at their best.

This positive love joint is off the '74 album Mighty Love, straight from their golden days after leaving Motown. The "Detroit" Spinners have always been on point, rest in peace to all the legends lost along the way.

To play some Chi-Lites here, this is from the Half A Love album, definetly a personal favorite of their's.
Always proper.

I've always loved The Dynamic Superiors, this is just one of the many gems they have, really one of my favorite soul groups of all time.
Happy Song is just another classic, they've got them for days.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:38 PM Edited by Indi., 01 June 2011 - 09:44 PM.

Wooo. That's some good music smile.gif .

Still consider it funk, because it was sampled from Chic - Good Times. But with a heavier bassline.

Gotta have Mike tounge.gif .

Expanding my funk library with all these songs on hear!

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:52 PM

I am amazed...no Parliament, Funkadelic, or even Parliament Funkadelic?

Just so that everyone can have a Soul reference.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:00 PM

I listened to this about 10 times a week back.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:59 PM

^^ A real soulful song, thanks meta!

Thought I'd give that a worthy mention, one of my favs.

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

Gone Fishing

• Angels of Death MC
  • England
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:35 PM

Are we bringing this back? I'll just leave these here then:

I've been really digging Mandrill as of late. I've only recently become acquainted with their catalogue, which admittedly is in rather short supply online. So I decided to buy their album Just outside of Town as there were a few tracks from that record that tickled my fancy. I haven't had the opportunity to listen to it yet, but I am sure I won't be disappointed.

Cheat
  • Cheat

• The Connection

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:11 PM

@tripmills like said, the topic is still very young, so don't expect for every single soul and funk artist to be spun around here just yet - you're right though, it's almost wrong, how no Parliament or Funkadelic has been played here yet, so:

A cheesy choice, maybe, but Maggot Brain remains my personal Funkadelic favorite.

@meta that's amazing. You sir, have been blessed with an amazing taste of music, not like that's a new thing though!
@Indi musically, Mr. Giscombe's sound has never been the type I adore the most, but I love the energy in his singing, which is brought up well in that classic.
@gamesguru I only know a little about Mandrill, but I hear they've been going on, more or less, from the sixties or the seventies, which is awesome. Heard they did some Obama-dedicated material a few years back.
I hear the Kanye sample on Peace and Love, but the original is awesome as well. Think I need to look up their productions more.

I guess disco should apply here too, just like soul and funk. Now, the funny thing is that I don't even like disco music, usually, at all, but this classic has got to be the most positive song ever. Everytime I hear the chorus, my face lights up, really.

Another artist I'd like to bring up here is Chaka Khan. Now, for a lot of people, she's "just" the frontwoman of Rufus, but for me, her solo career has always been the real deal, and - not to look badly upon her achievements with the group - her career with Rufus is a peripheral part of her career, 'cause she's an amazing singer. I find this song sultry, also one of my Chaka favorites.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:14 AM Edited by ThePinkFloydSound, 12 October 2012 - 10:28 AM.

Having a funky morning. This has such a dope beat.

Tyler
  • Tyler

This is gonna take crackerjack timing, Wang.

• Unknown
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:04 AM

Despite these not being very popular genres, I'm gonna bump this topic for some great things I've been listening to lately. Would love to see funk and soul be more widely accepted, though. Stuff is too groovy to hate.

This right here is some prime funk from an underrated Funkadelic album.

Little more modern. Love Hill, I wish her luck in the coming years with her tax evasion issues.

If any of you guys are fans of hip-hop, soul and funk I really can't recommend this uploader enough. They've got some great setlists and I've discovered a lot of good stuff from them.

InstantCClassic
  • InstantCClassic

Gatorade me, b*tch.

• Members

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:01 PM

Heard this on VH1 Soul back in 2008. Thought I'd share it with you guys.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:22 AM Edited by trip, 22 June 2013 - 01:26 AM.

So I see this topic bump up here...I think to myself what is soul...then I think "holy f*ck...my earlier post from 2 years ago better be the same song I am thinking about posting now"

Phewwww.
http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1060510956
There is no better reference to what soul is than this song.

edit:
I should add that the "what is soul"? stuff doesn't show up in the song until about 1:50 in...just in case you want to be unfunky and fastforward.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:40 AM

@InstantClassic: Great find.

To continue in a similar direction:

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

I love this thread - glad to see love for the old school stuff.

Speaking of soul, we lost another legend with the passing of Bobby 'Blue' Bland;

http://ca.news.yahoo....035920476.html

Wolf of Badenoch
  • Wolf of Badenoch

Infrequent poster....

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

That link's broken. Here's another one:
http://www.rollingst...-at-83-20130624
R.I.P

Funktipus
  • Funktipus