Quantcast

» «
Photo

TRUE BLOOD

325 replies to this topic
meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Gaming] 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2010

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:44 AM

No spoiler tags used in this topic unless its in regards to Season 4.

user posted image

One of my favorite shows on television at the moment. I wasn't initially interested at all with all the Twilight crap floating around these last few years but I watched Season 1 with my wife when we were in between shows to watch and we were completely hooked within three episodes and watched the entire first season within three days just before the 2nd season started. Anyways, I asked around and it looks like we have a few more TB fans floating around the boards.

Anyways heres's a thread to discuss the show as well as your favorite characters, moments and quotes from the 3 seasons.

Season One Summary

The main mystery of the first season concerns the murders of women connected to Sookie's brother, Jason (Ryan Kwanten). Maudette Pickens and Dawn Green are both strangled shortly after having been alone with Jason. Though Detective Bellefleur has little doubt that Jason is the killer, the town sheriff does not suspect him. Jason and Sookie's grandmother is murdered shortly afterward. At the end of the season it is revealed that Arlene Fowler's fiancé, Rene Lenier, is actually a man named Drew Marshall who has created a false identity, complete with Cajun accent. He has been killing women he considers "fang-bangers".

The first season also focuses on Sookie's relationship with Bill and Sam's relationship with Sookie's friend Tara. Bill explains the rules of being a vampire to Sookie and, after killing a vampire to defend her, is forced to "turn" a young girl named Jessica into a vampire as punishment. In the last episode of the season, Jessica is left under Bill's care. After Maudette and Dawn's murders, Jason becomes addicted to vampire blood and has a short relationship with another addict, Amy Burley, which ends when she is murdered by Drew. The season ends with the discovery of a body in Detective Andy Bellefleur's car in Merlotte's parking lot.

Fav Moment: When Rene Lenier is revealed as the mysterious killer, he did a really good job of being likable and unassuming up until the last few episodes.

Fav Character: LaFayette - had some of the best lines and performances.

Fav Quote:"Scuse me. Who ordered the hamburger... with AIDS? In this restaurant, a hamburger deluxe comes with french fries, lettuce, tomato, mayo, and AIDS! Do anyone got a problem wit dat? Aw baby, it's too late for that. fa**ots been breeding your cows, raisin' your chickens, even brewin' your beer long before I walked my sexy ass up in this mother f***er. Everything on your God damn table got aids. Well all you gots to do is say hold the aids here. Eat it! Bitch, you come into my house ,you gonna eat the food THE WAY I F***IN' MAKE IT! Do you understand me? Tip your waitress." -LaFayette

Season Two Summary

Season two focuses on two main plots – in the first, the disappearance of the 2,000-year old vampire Sheriff of Area 9, Godric, causes Eric to enlist Sookie and Bill's aid in finding the ancient vampire in Dallas. Their paths cross Jason's as he seeks to discover meaning in his life with the Fellowship of the Sun, a church dedicated to anti-vampire activities.

The second plot line concerns a maenad named Maryann who visits Bon Temps after Tara attracts her attention at the end of the first season. Maryann is a figure from Sam's past and knows his true identity as a shapeshifter. Her influence on the town and its residents results in mayhem that grows more destructive as the season progresses. At the end of the season, Bill proposes to Sookie, but is kidnapped by unknown assailants when Sookie retreats to the bathroom to consider his proposal.

It loosely follows the plot of the second novel of The Southern Vampire Mysteries, Living Dead in Dallas. In addition, the character of Sophie-Anne Leclerq, initially introduced in the sixth novel Definitely Dead, was introduced as a major supporting character.

Fav Moment: When Sookie accompanied Godric to the rooftop to meet the true death. Classy exit.

Fav Character: Maryann. Just a really cool unique villain for the genre. Charlaine Harris tales a lot of things from Whitewolf's Vampiire the Masquerade role playing game, having mythical creatures included in a world with vampires is very much from that.

Fav Quote:" Now Jesus and I agree to see other people that doesn't mean we don't still talk from time to time." -LaFayette

Season Three Summary

On July 30, 2009, HBO confirmed that True Blood would be renewed for a third season, which began shooting on December 3, 2009. It premiered on June 13, 2010, simultaneously on HBO and HBO Canada, and contained 12 episodes.

Season three loosely follows the plot of the third novel of The Southern Vampire Mysteries, Club Dead, and introduces werewolves to the show's mythology. It also introduces the characters of Russell Edgington, the Vampire King of Mississippi, and his private investigator, Franklin Mott. In addition, some characters from the fourth novel Dead to the World are introduced: Crystal Norris as Jason's love interest, her family of werepanthers from Hotshot, and Sookie's fairy godmother, Claudine. Sookie's heritage as part fairy is also revealed later in the season, a major plot element from the eighth novel, From Dead to Worse.

Fav Moment: When Russell punches through the newscasters spinal column on live television.

Fav Character: Russell Edgington (easily)

Fav Quote: "Mine is the true face of vampire! Why would we seek equal rights? You are not our equals. We will eat you after we eat your children. Now time for the weather. Tiffany?" - Russell Edgington

Season 4 Updates

True Blood Spoilers – Alan Ball Prepping Season 4!

The most revealing tidbit provided by Alan Ball and crew at the San Diego Comic-Con 2010 True Blood panel was that Ball and his writing crew are currently breaking stories for season 4.  Ball dropped a huge hint as to what may be in store for True Blood fans with one word:  Hallow.  Fans of the books know exactly where this is going, thankfully for the less literate fans of the series their book-loving brethren can’t spoiler toooo much since Ball likes to play fast and loose with Charlaine Harris’s True Blood mythos.  The breakdown goes like this:

Hallow Stonebrook is the lead witch of a coven that causes a lot of problems for Sookie and crew.  The wiki page for “Dead To the World,”  The True Blood book that most prominently features Hallow and her crew, describes a fairly epic confrontation between the denizens of Bon Temps and the wicked witches of the bayou.

Hallow, and her brother threatened Eric that they would curse him by turning Fangtasia’s alcoholic drinks bad, and cause patrons to trip over the dance floor and sue them, which would badly affect Fangtasia’s revenues. Pam tells Sookie that a witch had come with a message from Hallow saying that Hallow lusted for Eric and asked him if he would entertain her for seven nights, she would only demand a fifth of his business, rather than half. Eric had refused and suddenly vanished from the office where they were discussing this offer. Eric says he does not remember anything and that he was born the moment he was running down the road. Pam and Chow asked Sookie to keep Eric safe while they solve the problem with the witches. Later Sookie learns through Holly Clearly (another waitress at Merlotte’s) that this coven of witches have a lot of power that they are willing to use for evil, that they drink vampire blood and that they are werewolves as well. Holly also tells Sookie that this new coven has called all local witches and Wiccans to join them. Furthermore, Sookie learns that her brother, Jason, is missing and starts looking for him. Sookie informs Alcide Herveaux of the existence of this werewolves-witch coven in Shreveport and heads to Hotshot to speak to Crystal Norris (a were-panther) as she was the last person Jason was seen with.

Source

*All season summaries courtesy of Wikipedia.

If you feel so inclined, feel free to list a few of your favorites as well.

CODE

[U][B]Season 1[/B][/U]

[B]Fav Character:[/B]

[B]Fav Quote:[/B]

[U][B]Season 2[/B][/U]

[B]Fav Moment:[/B]

[U][B]Season 3[/B][/U]

[B]Fav Moment:[/B]

user posted image

MHH
  • MHH

Consulente Infinito

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:21 AM

I started watching since season 1 and I still enjoy the hell out of the series,
but to break it down to favorite this or that of each season would require myself to go through every season again.
But my favorite character so far is Jessica aka 'Baby Vampire,' is just a small comical edge in the series with her going through a vampire puberty as it were.
She is embarrassed about her fangs coming out in public, and doesn't fully know what the hell new things she can do, but progressively learning over the seasons.

Least favorite is Tara, I never got behind the character from the start as she seemed just written poorly to me and thus became rather irritating to watch her season after season go through her storyline. Although it appeared that she has left as indicated by the end of the last season.

Without reading the actual books I do wonder were the last seasons events leave Bill Vs. Eric at.
What happens to Sookie following revoking bill and eric from her house and what happens to the werewolves under Russels command now that he is a little restrained for 100 something years (which was an awesome scene with the 3 of them).

So yeah I'm a looking forward to the new season, but luckily we have many other great series to soften the blow until the return.

Andyzoot
  • Andyzoot

Player Hater

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:48 PM

So are we going to be discussing the spoilers you've got for Season 4 in this topic? Because if so I'll take my leave. If not then I'll take a seat with a bottle of Tru Blood.

I miss Russell already.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:13 PM

@MHH: I'm going to be honest, it was pretty difficult to narrow it down and fill out that list so I don't expect people to, it’s just there for fun. I just happened to have the material in front of me while I was putting together the intro and figured what the hell.

I really like it when underdog, loser type characters get with hot chicks so I enjoy the whole thing with Hoyt and Jessica working things out and the stuff with his crazy mom and ex girlfriend is pretty funny as well.

@panda: More or less if people want to discuss something about the upcoming season, aside from speculation we’d ask that they use spoiler tags but that’s certainly not the focus of the thread or won’t be until Season 4 actually starts. So sit back and enjoy your Type O & AB positive cocktail.

It’s been confirmed Russel will be appearing in some form or fashion next season, whether that’s going to be actively or in a flashback hasn’t.

Sauron
  • Sauron

chillin' like a mega villain

• The Precinct

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:04 PM

I thought Season 3 was the best season yet until the finale. The season felt as thought it was building towards a massive climax and then it all just sort of fizzled out. Was really disappointing.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• The Connection
  • Olympics

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (Sauron. @ Sep 28 2010, 23:04)
I thought Season 3 was the best season yet until the finale. The season felt as thought it was building towards a massive climax and then it all just sort of fizzled out. Was really disappointing.

Have to agree with you there. Really enjoyed the season and what it bought to the table got really excited for the finale and then it all fizzled out into nothing except for the very last second of the episode and even then it wasn't as good as I was expecting. Hope season 4 is better though and doesn't end with such a disappointment.

Best moments from the different seasons. Well probably where Eric had a flashback with his family and saw all of them get killed by Russel and the werewolves. Really enjoy the flashback where both Eric and Godric were part of the Nazi SS killing that werewolf, but I'm a sucker for war oriented things. Actually come to think of it, I really enjoy alot of the flashbacks throughout the different seasons.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:30 AM

I liked the flashback where Godric zipped around the viking camp taking everyone out and first made Eric, he looked all weird and demonic in that scene.

And yea the season finale fell a little short, knowing what Russel was capable of you expect some sort of bad ass bloody fight scene with plenty of generic character fodder for him to kill. Maybe a large squad of Swat members from the American Vampire League for him to tear apart while the main charcters get their sh*t together. Instead he falls for a kind of lame trick and gets put into torpor.

My 2nd favorite character from the season was Franklin, probably because he was one of my favorite actors in the Tudors and I liked his loopiness, I was hoping they'd keep him around a little longer.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Yardie Achievement Award

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:05 AM

QUOTE (Pandazoot @ Sep 28 2010, 14:48)
So are we going to be discussing the spoilers you've got for Season 4 in this topic? Because if so I'll take my leave. If not then I'll take a seat with a bottle of Tru Blood.

I miss Russell already.

It's kinda obvious that he'll return. But that's jut my opinion. I'm usually right about these things.

Mike Tequeli
  • Mike Tequeli

American non-Voter at Heart

• The Connection

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:29 AM

Finally made the topic just as the season ends eh?

The main plot was the strongest of any of the seasons, but overall the whole thing was dragged down by stupid B plots. This season might have been the worst overall for that very reason. The season finale was absolute sh*t as well, although I will tune in to season 4 and watch it religiously.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:46 AM

A lot of people didn't like the side story with Sam but I actually did like what it revealed about him and his past. Jason and the were panther chick well...that felt like a bit of a distration, also some things were funky. In the end, the man she had to go with started shooting major people in the Hot Shot inbred commune in front of everyone with no hesitation but didn't shoot Jason who he had every reason to shoot simply because Jason attempted to talk him down. I wasn't convinced that's how it would have played out, despite Jason's dumb luck throughout the last 3 seasons he would have probably gotten a hole in the head during such an exchange.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:13 AM

I'm always on the fence about this show. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. But thanks to DVR, I don't really have to choose.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:31 AM

Season 4? What? We've only just go the first episode of season two a week or so back.

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:09 AM

Be careful in here then Robinski because this thread is US pace.

I enjoyed Series 3 while watching it, but because all the plot threads fizzled out rather than conclude it made the series seem very weak. It built up to absolutely nothing. Side-stories like Sam's went absolutely nowhere, though it developed his character a bit. While watching I was thinking 'where are they going with this'. Turns out they didn't know either.

I preferred S2 with it's main plot thread that all the characters were involved in. There were side-stories but at least something to interlink them.

Andyzoot
  • Andyzoot

Player Hater

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

Ugh, I'm hating this side plot with LaFayette and Jesus, but the whole Jason/Crystal thing really took the cake. Crystal was all over the place, first she's siding with Jason, then her little commune. Really grating. In fact the only really interesting storyline was everything involving Russell, Sookie, Bill and Eric. I like Jessica too, she can be really awesome, like the scene where her and Bill protect Sookie's house from the werewolves, but Jessica is stuck in a boring little sideplot with Hoyt (although that shot of Hoyt's mum getting the gun should give us a bit more excitement in Series 4) I hope Series 4 gives us some more backstory on 'The Authority' a part of me hopes that the leader of 'The Authority' is Vlad the Impaler or something crazy like that.

Oh and the return of the Fellowship of the Sun would be pretty cool.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• The Connection
  • Olympics

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (Robinski @ Sep 29 2010, 06:31)
Season 4? What? We've only just go the first episode of season two a week or so back.

Yeah I don't think you should come in Rob until you've watched up to the end of Season 3, just so you wont be spoiled. Although that's probably already been done.

JayC
  • JayC

WWJCD

• Feroci Racing

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:07 PM

Guess we are all in agreement that season 3 was fairly weak. Got to the point where I only watch now to lust after Jessica while my missus wets herself over Eric. I guess I should thank the show for eradicating the need for foreplay in my relationship.

Now that I've went to far I shall leave since I don't want season 4 spoilt innit.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:49 PM

Well with Season 4 getting ready to start there are a ton of trailers and teasers coming out so I suppose it's about that time to link a few. Spoilers be damned these are official previews.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013
    Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Helpfulness Award [GTAF]

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:55 AM

I'm very excited for this, there's some really interesting story lines from the books that look like they will feature in this season!

Something about this screen test promo that make's me more excited for it to start.

TEoS
  • TEoS

WE'RE BEING ATTAAAAAACKED!

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:14 PM

A lot of Season 3 hate on here, surprised. I hated the LaFayette/Jesus subplot and Jason and the Werepanthers, but other than that I thought it was a pretty solid season. Russel was probably one of the better TV show villains of the past few years.

I'm excited for Season 4, but I think this Fairy nonsense might be a little too much for me.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013
    Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Helpfulness Award [GTAF]

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:53 AM

The story does get more and more eccentric with each book, so those plot lines came at no surprise to me. Season 2 has been the most full on so far, but I think Season 4 will really introduce the madness such as Eric losing his memory, Jason becoming a werepanther... They seem to enjoy pushing the boundaries as well with stories that weren't in the books.

A little off topic but HBO surely know how to entertain. I'm still on a high from Game of Thrones and with TB starting next week and then I suspect Boardwalk Empire in the autumn, it's really thrilling never to be short of shows to watch every week.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:30 AM

QUOTE (MissCloud)
A little off topic but HBO surely know how to entertain. I'm still on a high from Game of Thrones and with TB starting next week and then I suspect Boardwalk Empire in the autumn, it's really thrilling never to be short of shows to watch every week.

HBO have done a good job of keeping at least one show on all year round that stops me from cutting them off for a month or two to save money on my cable bill. Def looking forward to Boardwalk Empire in the fall.

I was worried about all this fairy sh*t going into the 4th Season but after watching the opening scene for the first new episode they are going way darker than all that so I'm looking forward to it.

* On another topic, I'm not sure if anyone here is familiar with the White Wolf universe of Role Playing Games, such as Vampire The Masquerade or Werewolf The Apocalypse set in their World Of Darkness series but Charlaine Harris stole/borrowed quite a bit of her content from those books to be sure. A lot of her ideas about crossing over supernatural genres all come from those sourcebooks. They actually sued the makers of Underworld some years back for snatching ideas as well.

http://whitewolf.wik...rld_of_Darkness

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:13 AM

I'm excited. I keep seeing the commercial where Jessica rips open her shirt while straddling Hoyt. It takes me be surprise every time.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:28 AM Edited by meta187, 25 June 2011 - 12:32 PM.

It's getting close now, less than two days till the opening episode.

I'm a bit pissed.

HBO is doing an advanced screening of Episode 2 tomorrow night on HBO Go which is hosted online. Unfortunately, only select cable providers have been selected to participate in it.

Time Warner Cable is no rinky dink cable company, I'm really surprised and feeling sh*tty we weren't included.

Xeon 
  • Xeon 

• Members

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Wednesday, Jun 22 2011, 08:13)
I'm excited. I keep seeing the commercial where Jessica rips open her shirt while straddling Hoyt. It takes me be surprise every time.

I'm pretty certain that that's not actually Hoyt, which adds another interesting element to the season.

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:20 PM

So yeah, apparently people didn't enjoy the faery world. Too campy, some say. Syfy made-for-TV movie sequence, some say.

Am I the only one who didn't mind it? ._. It's gonna be all vampires vs. goblins, it seems. Awesome.

Bill, King of Louisiana? Sure has potential. icon14.gif

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:39 PM

I didn't really mind that part in the faerie world but humorously enough when they were running up the hill away from the evil fae and those magic bombs were going off by their feet that's exactly what I thought! Like this seriously looks like something ripped from a SyFy original series or some crap.

And like yourself I think Bill being King of Louisiana has a ton of potential. I was really disappointed they didn't show how the final fight between him and Queen Sophie played out from the previous season but it must have gone in his favor.

Other than that it was a pretty decent first episode, obviously they're just setting up some things for the upcoming season:
  • Jason seems like less of a dipsh*t and more responsible now.

• Bellefleur is obviously more of a douchebag because of the V.

• Tara is into chicks, which seems about right given the events of last season.

• LaFayette is acting a bit more of a bitch than I enjoy but I think it'll be cool once they get that witchcraft angle rolling.

• Sam's still acting like an annoying dick.

• Arlene and Terry's situation seems pretty tame for now.

• The house Hoyt and Jessica moved into was supposedly a bit creepy or haunted from the final episode of Season 3 but it seems they let that loose end hanging as well.

• Eric is Eric.

• And holy sh*t does Sookie cry a lot in this episode.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Yardie Achievement Award

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:53 AM

Too much magic. They didn't have to go that far with it. Faerie world looked like something out of those weird Australian TV shows for kids. Other than that I liked it.

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:59 AM

I'm still catching up with Seasons 2 and 3, I've joined it rather late so far, and have just finished Season one. However I am very much enjoying the series so far, and I'm looking forward to catching up soon, so I can start watching Season 4.

majorhawke
  • majorhawke

The living-dead Kennedy's

• Members

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:46 AM

I cant believe sookie goes and makes a fang banger out of herself and goes and f*ck's eric. I cant stand to watch the show anymore.... wink.gif

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:57 AM

Please use spoilers when detailing parts of the show that others may not have seen yet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users