31 replies to this topic
Frijj
  • Frijj

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:39 PM

I was thinking it could be set in scotland for the reasons because,
Rockstar north is based over there so it could be thier turn to do a new gta,
I live in edinburgh and i usually walk past the R* North Building (Dont ask about me going in to ask theyv got a mean security gaurd at the door and also they would say nothing)
Also my bro was doing his driving lessons and his instructor also teaches a employe at R* so he got some info from him,

So it could be set in glasgow and also he said its gonna be great, he cant say anymore do contract ETC...

R* North Building is located in Edinburgh.

Drift-Kingz
  • Drift-Kingz

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:51 PM

Welcome.

http://www.gtaforums...=360786&st=2960

Kwandilibro
  • Kwandilibro

Be eye itch.

• Members

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:57 PM

What is this topic supposed to be about?

To answer the title question though, no. If GTA appears in the UK, it needs to be in London, or a mix of cities including London. No other single city in Britain can quite create a good environment for GTA.

TommyMufc-Champs
  • TommyMufc-Champs

Account ditched. New account Tommy.

• Members

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (Kwandilibro @ Sep 26 2010, 17:57)

To answer the title question though, no. If GTA appears in the UK, it needs to be in London, or a mix of cities including London. No other single city in Britain can quite create a good environment for GTA.

+1 London Is the only City In the UK that rahkstar2.gif could do well.

joshdempsey
  • joshdempsey

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (TommyMufc-Champs @ Sep 26 2010, 18:22)

I completely disagree. R* North is in Edinburgh, and just round the corner is Glasgow. The MURDER capital of Europe... Set it in Glasgow and it'll be a blast!

TommyMufc-Champs
  • TommyMufc-Champs

• Members

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (joshdempsey @ Sep 26 2010, 18:30)

I completely disagree. R* North is in Edinburgh, and just round the corner is Glasgow. The MURDER capital of Europe... Set it in Glasgow and it'll be a blast!

Meh confused.gif Glasgow doesn't appeal to me.

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Dr. Green Thumb.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:33 PM

Scotland may be crime ridden but it's just dull.

Kwandilibro
  • Kwandilibro

Be eye itch.

• Members

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (joshdempsey @ Sep 26 2010, 14:30)

Murder rate eh? So is Camden, NJ. Won't be seeing a GTA there any time soon It's not about the murder rate, it's the overall appeal and atmosphere. NYC actually has a really low murder rate compared to let's say, Detroit. We had a GTA there.

Besides, what the f*ck is in Glasgow that London doesn't have?

TommyMufc-Champs
  • TommyMufc-Champs

• Members

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:38 PM

The Ibrox, Celtic park wink.gif

joshdempsey
  • joshdempsey

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:47 PM

The constant riots between Celtic and Rangers tounge.gif

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:20 PM Edited by Official General, 26 September 2010 - 07:23 PM.

@ Frijj - GTA set in Scotland ? In the Edingburgh or Glasgow maybe ? I'm sure you are just bored with too much time on your hands and you just wanna play silly jokes to get a reaction on here. You cant be serious, this aint even worth proper response.

Ah, why not let me pretend to take this topic seriously at least. On topic, London would be the best and only place for a UK-based GTA game for many reasons already stated by others above. Anywhere else in the UK can forget about having a GTA game based on it. I dont even wanna see a GTA game set outside of the USA, and if it is, its highly unlikely I would buy it (I'm British before anyone starts to have a dig at me). I'm pretty sure that the next GTA game is not gonna be set in the UK anyway, so this Scotland theory is not worth mentioning even so more.

@ joshdempsey - High murder rates does not qualify a city to be best suited for a GTA game. Yeah Glasgow is rough and crime-ridden in many parts, but so what ? What is so special about it that makes it a great setting for a GTA game ? Childish fights and brawls between rival football fans is not my idea of an explosive and enjoyable GTA game. I cant see anything great or interesting about Glasgow's criminal scene at all. And no, GTA: Glasgow will not be a blast, it will be extremely boring and dull. Thankfully you and Frijj do not work for Rockstar or own the company.

02fishera
  • 02fishera

PSN ID: TeamTango91

• The Yardies
  • England

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:26 PM Edited by 02fishera, 26 September 2010 - 07:28 PM.

I wouldn't mind Glasgow if it appeared alongside London and somewhere like Cardiff or Manchester. Otherwise no, other than the high crime rate there is no attraction.

@ Official General - I bet you would by it once everyone else is paying it wink.gif

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE (02fishera @ Sep 26 2010, 19:26)
I wouldn't mind Glasgow if it appeared alongside London and somewhere like Cardiff or Manchester. Otherwise no, other than the high crime rate there is no attraction.

@ Official General - I bet you would by it once everyone else is paying it wink.gif

@ 02fishera - No my friend, I dont work like that. I am not a follow-the-crowd type of guy, once I've decided I dont like something or an idea, I don't like it, I'm very decisive and firm on things like that. I just prefer the settings of American cities for GTA games, thats why I loved the previous GTAs in the first place. I know I would not like a GTA game set in London and its highly unlikely I would buy it. I DEFINITELY would NOT like a GTA game set in anywhere else in the UK like Glasgow, Cardiff or Manchester I would NOT buy it NO WAY.

Believe what you want, buts thats the truth of my statement.

02fishera
  • 02fishera

PSN ID: TeamTango91

• The Yardies
  • England

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:35 PM

Fair enough icon14.gif

mobe
  • mobe

Peon

• Members

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:28 PM Edited by mobe, 26 September 2010 - 09:31 PM.

QUOTE (Frijj @ Sep 26 2010, 17:39)

I live in edinburgh and i usually walk past the R* North Building (Dont ask about me going in to ask theyv got a mean security gaurd at the door and also they would say nothing)
Also my bro was doing his driving lessons and his instructor also teaches a employe at R* so he got some info from him,

R* North Building is located in Edinburgh.

I live in Edinburgh as well, just round the corner from Rockstar North. The big doorman guy works for the building not Rockstar, there's other businesses in there as well. Rockstar North is on the third floor and round the other side and not the side you see from the street. If you go for a walk up Carlton Hill you can see into it. http://en.wikipedia....rthfromhill.jpg

I've known a few people who've worked there over the years right from the early DMA days in Dundee. As the game's got more and more popular they talk less and less about it. Everyone I've met who's worked there has been really cool though, nice friendly people. They clearly love they're gaming and do it very, very well. Talented bunch. Scotland should be much more proud of its gaming studios, we make some of the best games in the world and its often totally forgotten by people here, or perhaps not even realised, that the greatest and one of the most successful games of all time comes from here.

As for it being set in Scotland. I can't see it, to parochial. I can barely see it being set in London for the same reason let alone Glasgow. From an architectural point of view I'd love to see a London set GTA, it would look amazing, but as GTAIV proved, the game needs to be about more than just a beautifully rendered city.

Drift-Kingz
  • Drift-Kingz

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:15 AM

I agree with Kwandilibro here. I bet you guy's London has about a 70% chance of being the next location icon14.gif It's pretty much the whole atmosphere and feeling of the city that gives it potential.

TheBruceter
  • TheBruceter

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:39 AM

lol typical Englishman wink.gif If it wiznae for us, there wid be no GTA!

I agree that it probably wouldn't work if it was just GTA: Scotland.. a GTA:UK would work better though with add ins such as Wales and Northern Ireland.

As for 'nothing much happens in Glasgow' How the feck would you guys know? rofl Its not like i go checking news from half way round the world.
http://news.bbc.co.u...estscotland/hi/

2 stabbings, Power drill attack, motorcyclist dies, car crash, presenter bludgeoned to death

and come on, thats only 1 weekend wink.gif lol Wait until you read something after an Old Firm derby.. lol

Nevermind the Commonwealth games are being held here in 4 years time (think thats when it is.)

So I think people should investigate and know what the f*ck they are talking about first, before slating a topic.

Glasgow would work better than what half you f*ckers think.. lmao How do you think it was folk from Dundee that came up with GTA? lol

I only live 20 miles away from Glasgow so my news is generally their news. Alot of crime.

mobe
  • mobe

Peon

• Members

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (TheBruceter @ Sep 27 2010, 10:39)

lol typical Englishman wink.gif If it wiznae for us, there wid be no GTA!

I agree that it probably wouldn't work if it was just GTA: Scotland.. a GTA:UK would work better though with add ins such as Wales and Northern Ireland.

As for 'nothing much happens in Glasgow' How the feck would you guys know? rofl Its not like i go checking news from half way round the world.
http://news.bbc.co.u...estscotland/hi/

2 stabbings, Power drill attack, motorcyclist dies, car crash, presenter bludgeoned to death

and come on, thats only 1 weekend wink.gif lol Wait until you read something after an Old Firm derby.. lol

Nevermind the Commonwealth games are being held here in 4 years time (think thats when it is.)

So I think people should investigate and know what the f*ck they are talking about first, before slating a topic.

Glasgow would work better than what half you f*ckers think.. lmao How do you think it was folk from Dundee that came up with GTA? lol

I only live 20 miles away from Glasgow so my news is generally their news. Alot of crime.

The choice of where a GTA is set is not about how much crime there is in any given city. Apart from LA every single city that has been GTA'd has had a lower crime rate per head of population than that of Glasgow. They made it work in New York last time and New York is a very crime free city these days.

Speaking as a Scotsman a GTA set in Glasgow would be hilarious but probably not universally translatable both in humour or culture.

vincentmillidge
  • vincentmillidge

vincent millidge III

• Members

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:00 PM

id like to see a gta london surrounded by countryside/coast and then a smaller city to the north which would incorporate manchester,liverpool and glasgow...etc the smaller city should be more industrial lots of old mills, derelict buildings, constant grey skys and should be in massive contrast to londons shiny corporate cosmopolitan landscape,Id also make the protag from the manc-liver-glasgow town as it would add to to the story once he's down in london

Mati
  • Mati

f*ck the planet till it spins on a broken axis

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:23 PM

Well, the next GTA could be anywhere. Only because Rockstar north is in Scotland you cant say such a rumour. I mean Halo Reach is created by Bungie and Bungie doesnt live on reach.

okei
  • okei

Dressed to kill like I'm Gianni Versace

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:31 PM

I think a 1980s GTA set in Glasgow would be brilliant.

Anybody ever heard of the Glasgow Ice Cream Wars? tounge2.gif

ezcool
  • ezcool

Newbie since 2007

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:06 PM

What about - No England?

Seriously, leave that for ANY other game, just don't ruin GTA.

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Dr. Green Thumb.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (okei @ Sep 27 2010, 12:31)
I think a 1980s GTA set in Glasgow would be brilliant.

Anybody ever heard of the Glasgow Ice Cream Wars? tounge2.gif

It would certainly make an interesting premise, but still a bit dull i think.
Glasgow is a fairly monocultural city now, in the 80's i think nearly all of the people there would be Scottish or maybe Irish.
And Vice city touched on the Ice cream wars in a way with the Cherry popper minigame.

LuisBellic
  • LuisBellic

8 Balls

• Members

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:49 PM Edited by LuisBellic, 24 November 2010 - 08:40 AM.

POST REMOVED.

LuisBellic
  • LuisBellic

8 Balls

• Members

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:39 AM

It would be f*cking awesome if it was in Scotland and Loch ness monster was a myth.

WF the Hobgoblin
  • WF the Hobgoblin

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:10 PM

Geez yer money or al chib ye pal!

Pass...

BrightonEarly
  • BrightonEarly

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:40 PM

R" just put out a bunch of Scottish Kilt Desktop backgrounds today..... wow.gif

Where is the blue? user posted image

pdbq
  • pdbq

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:56 PM

Firstly, I'm English (to avoid argument)

But although I'm sure r* could set the game in germany or Iceland and still come up with a good game, but in my opinion a new York or a LA is more iconic and has a lot more flexibility and allows more and creative storylines..

Also, I don't think it's fair for any of us to say for sure where it's going to be set, I wasn't present in these forums at the time but I hear that LC in IV was a BIG shock to everyone, so who knows maybe another shock is in store for us

Freezer89
  • Freezer89

• Members

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:00 PM

Nah.. whether it's London or Glasgow or Edinburgh, i don't wanna to drive on the "wrong" side of the street. Would be too confusing for me.
And i doubt that in these cities (besides London) there are point of interests.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Godawful-Disturbed-Earl Root

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:02 PM

Location subjects are Pinned, Ryan is pointing out at present, however, Scotland would be interesting based on the innate Rockstar Knowledge of their home base!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users