» «
Photo

What's wrong with music today?

113 replies to this topic
Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:13 PM Edited by Robinski, 17 December 2010 - 10:19 PM.

QUOTE (win001 @ Dec 17 2010, 21:13)
Well, I do like early 2000s music. Some sound retarded, but most are actually funny and good.

Late 2000s is what im talking about. It's just pure crap. Green Day? Give me a break.

So, starting in 2007, music was just complete crap. 1960-2006 music was very good.

How can you be so specific? Nailing down "when music went crap" to a single year is ridiculous.

As for all you guys saying music these days is sh*t, why not look into stuff that isn't mainstream? Surely you can't say all music these days is crap, just maybe the music being produced today that you do like isn't popular. Have a go at some more exotic genres. The mainstream isn't the be all and end all, especially in the age of the internet.

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:29 PM

Most of the music I listen to was made in the late nineties and 2000s and most of it is far better than the vast amount of garbage the eighties produced (see pretty much every hair metal band ever). Like Rob said, nailing down a specific era as "the death of good music" is just about as ignorant and closed minded as you can possibly get.

I'm not bothered as much by people that only listen to mainstream music as I am by closed minded c*nts who can't pull their heads out of the past and actually make an effort to find new, good music and instead rant on and on about how music nowadays has no heart.

Phone Number
  • Phone Number

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:16 AM Edited by Phone Number, 21 December 2010 - 07:50 PM.

delete

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

They said I could be anything, so I became a custom member title

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:21 AM Edited by *MURDOC*, 18 December 2010 - 05:24 AM.

QUOTE (Phone Number @ Dec 18 2010, 00:16)
You guys are idiots. You guys weren't even around
60-80's so you're just bandwagoning because you think that old automatically means good.

Songs from now were made exactly back then. Nothing has changed. Complaining about songs that talk about drama, girls, clubbing, and some other stuff? They did that in the 60s-80s, too.

No, most people complaining about recent pop and the like, are complaining about the huge reliance some artists have on digitally modifying their music heavily, creating something the artist is just not capable of.

I enjoy music from long ago up to right now, but every era also has music I cant stand, so it really goes both ways.

And since when are you not allowed to like something that was created before you were born?

If anyone sounds like an idiot here, its you.

Tyler
  • Tyler

time is a flat circle

• Unknown

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:25 AM

QUOTE (Phone Number @ Dec 17 2010, 23:16)
You guys are idiots. You guys weren't even around
60-80's so you're just bandwagoning because you think that old automatically means good.

All of the music today is influenced in part to the music of the past. Imagine a family. The mother and father are the classic musics from yesteryear, and the children are the music we see today. Both parents had a part in influencing the child, and the child is easily a known procreation of the parents. You can look in any musical artist's play-book and see at least one influence from music past.

As Murdoc said, there is music good and bad throughout, but the reason most good music is remembered is probably because it's our natural instinct to see the past through a rose coloured glass™.

Phone Number
  • Phone Number

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:33 AM Edited by Phone Number, 21 December 2010 - 07:51 PM.

delete

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:42 AM

I lead a very different life than probably 90% of the musicians I listen to, so that doesnt really make any sense at all, Im just curious, what kind of music do you listen to, because its likely very different to what I listen to.

I only say this because most of the music I like, that has lyrics or themes that I relate to IS older music, because in life, there are things that never change with time, love, violence, drugs, money, et cetera, all themes that have existed for a long, long time, so you dont have to live in that time to understand and relate to the artist.

win001
  • win001

Top Gear

• Members

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (Robinski @ Dec 17 2010, 22:13)
Well, I do like early 2000s music. Some sound retarded, but most are actually funny and good.

Late 2000s is what im talking about. It's just pure crap. Green Day? Give me a break.

So, starting in 2007, music was just complete crap. 1960-2006 music was very good.

How can you be so specific? Nailing down "when music went crap" to a single year is ridiculous.

As for all you guys saying music these days is sh*t, why not look into stuff that isn't mainstream? Surely you can't say all music these days is crap, just maybe the music being produced today that you do like isn't popular. Have a go at some more exotic genres. The mainstream isn't the be all and end all, especially in the age of the internet.

It is true. When Lady Gaga and some other more crappy artists emerged in 2007, when I first heard them I immediately think it was crap. 2010 music is just a punch in the face. Bad mainstream music. Katy pery is this crazy sh*thead that doesn't sing anything other than teenage dreams even though she aint a teenager. Fail. Then I started listening to something older.

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (win001 @ Dec 18 2010, 11:16)

It is true. When Lady Gaga and some other more crappy artists emerged in 2007, when I first heard them I immediately think it was crap. 2010 music is just a punch in the face. Bad mainstream music. Katy pery is this crazy sh*thead that doesn't sing anything other than teenage dreams even though she aint a teenager. Fail. Then I started listening to something older.

There are literally thousands of new artists, so its ignorant and unfair to judge them all by a handful of mainstream pop musicians.

win001
  • win001

Top Gear

• Members

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (*MURDOC* @ Dec 18 2010, 16:19)
QUOTE (win001 @ Dec 18 2010, 11:16)

There are literally thousands of new artists, so its ignorant and unfair to judge them all by a handful of mainstream pop musicians.

You have a point. But the people who represent them are just so crappy. Replace them with someone less popular and better singing.

Useless Dave
  • Useless Dave

Voted member of the year 2010

• Members

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE (win001 @ Dec 18 2010, 16:16)

Yeah. It's about as stupid as when the Beatles sang about being a walrus. They weren't walruses. FAIL!!!!111

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE (Useless Dave @ Dec 21 2010, 07:14)
QUOTE (win001 @ Dec 18 2010, 16:16)

Yeah. It's about as stupid as when the Beatles sang about being a walrus. They weren't walruses. FAIL!!!!111

Haha I was thinking something along those lines as well.

@Win001: Bands and singers can and will sing about anything, it can be personal to them, it can be a fantasy/sci fi story it can be something they can relate to or have related to or it can be something to make people feel good, that is the beauty of music.

If you dislike the artist you don't have to look for any specific reason because being honest it looks more like you're just grasping for a reason to dislike them. You could just say 'He/She/It isn't too my taste' and then move on.

GTABlackKnight
  • GTABlackKnight

Respect the Old-School

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 December 2010 - 05:50 AM

QUOTE (Indi. @ Dec 17 2010, 21:28)
Justin Bieber is a talented kid, but like I say would you really turn down that amount of money? I know I would for dignity, but obviously Bieber just wants the money. But he is a talented singer and musician.

Are you f*cking kidding me?! Justin Bieber has ZERO talent. And his singing is worse than death. I'm amazed that people can go through one of his songs unscratched.

Doink
  • Doink

:O

• The Precinct

Posted 26 December 2010 - 05:54 AM

QUOTE (NickRad @ Dec 1 2010, 23:35)
QUOTE (Unoriginal44 @ Dec 1 2010, 13:50)
QUOTE (NickRad @ Dec 1 2010, 13:34)
I'm sorry was that really necessary? I didn't come here and start naming your favourite bands/singers but I'll say this then, Gerard Way has waaaaaaaay more talent than Bob Dylan smile.gif

So a guy that gets his kicks and money by blowing the goth cock of fame is better than a man who inspired the likes of almost every person you've ever listened to - including the cock gobbler? Get outta town man. You did actually start it up, and as a big fan of music in general, I'm going to go ahead and call you out on it. Why is Bob Dylan worse? Do you also hate Billy Idol for no reason, or Neil Young perhaps? Maybe you even hate Bob Crosby and Cole Porter, but I'm sure a connoisseur of music like yourself would never be caught dead with a record - much less music older than 2002 on your iPod?

You don't get why people call you a troll do you? It's because you say something that you know will antagonise someone, and you never elaborate further. Guess what? My chemical Romance is f*cking stupid. It's not a troll bro.

Alright your forgetting one thing that this is my OPINION. I have nothing against Billy Idol and to be honest I've never heard of the others. Who gives a damn if most of the music on my iPhone isn't past the noughties, music is entertainment if I like a band/artist I don't expect you too agree. I didn't come here and start naming bands/singers because if you like certain bands/singers I'm not going to bad mouth them because thats your opinion. I can guarantee you'd like the stuff I like compared to the people at my school (Trust me on that). And if you think My Chemical Romance is stupid thats your opinion, there not my favourite band (Green Day and Muse tie) but when you start throwing around homosexual slander thats a bit far. FYI I actually don't hate Bob Dylan infact I don't mind a couple of his songs, I just think Gerard Way has more talent

I love it when people start throwing around "OMFG ITS MY OPINION. MY OPINION MAN. MYf*ckINGOPINIONIONIONIONION"

My opinion is that your opinion sucks.

Ahem....I f*cking love Lady Gaga. I'll admit it: There are a few pop songs out there today that I've enjoyed because they were catchy and served their purpose: To entertain. Hell yeah I jam out to Poker Face and Bad Romance in my car on my way to work and whatnot.

GTABlackKnight
  • GTABlackKnight

Respect the Old-School

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:00 AM

QUOTE (Doink @ Dec 26 2010, 05:54)
I'm sorry was that really necessary? I didn't come here and start naming your favourite bands/singers but I'll say this then, Gerard Way has waaaaaaaay more talent than Bob Dylan smile.gif

So a guy that gets his kicks and money by blowing the goth cock of fame is better than a man who inspired the likes of almost every person you've ever listened to - including the cock gobbler? Get outta town man. You did actually start it up, and as a big fan of music in general, I'm going to go ahead and call you out on it. Why is Bob Dylan worse? Do you also hate Billy Idol for no reason, or Neil Young perhaps? Maybe you even hate Bob Crosby and Cole Porter, but I'm sure a connoisseur of music like yourself would never be caught dead with a record - much less music older than 2002 on your iPod?

You don't get why people call you a troll do you? It's because you say something that you know will antagonise someone, and you never elaborate further. Guess what? My chemical Romance is f*cking stupid. It's not a troll bro.

Alright your forgetting one thing that this is my OPINION. I have nothing against Billy Idol and to be honest I've never heard of the others. Who gives a damn if most of the music on my iPhone isn't past the noughties, music is entertainment if I like a band/artist I don't expect you too agree. I didn't come here and start naming bands/singers because if you like certain bands/singers I'm not going to bad mouth them because thats your opinion. I can guarantee you'd like the stuff I like compared to the people at my school (Trust me on that). And if you think My Chemical Romance is stupid thats your opinion, there not my favourite band (Green Day and Muse tie) but when you start throwing around homosexual slander thats a bit far. FYI I actually don't hate Bob Dylan infact I don't mind a couple of his songs, I just think Gerard Way has more talent

I love it when people start throwing around "OMFG ITS MY OPINION. MY OPINION MAN. MYf*ckINGOPINIONIONIONIONION"

Ahem....I f*cking love Lady Gaga. I'll admit it: There are a few pop songs out there today that I've enjoyed because they were catchy and served their purpose: To entertain. Hell yeah I jam out to Poker Face and Bad Romance in my car on my way to work and whatnot.

You're joking right? Either you're female, gay, or a complete cocksucker.

Doink
  • Doink

:O

• The Precinct

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:04 AM

QUOTE (GTABlackKnight @ Dec 26 2010, 06:00)
QUOTE (Doink @ Dec 26 2010, 05:54)

Not joking. I don't give a sh*t if people don't like my taste in music.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE (GTABlackKnight @ Dec 26 2010, 06:00)

You do realise this is just as ignorant as someone saying "you like RnB therefore you must be black" right?

Welcome to 2010, prejudice ain't that welcome here.

Ats.
  • Ats.

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:49 AM

@GTABlackKnight:

[RAGE]Please get the f*ck out of the forums. Your posts are so stupid, I have no words. Have a sh*tty day and I hope you'll get banned soon.[/RAGE]

Anyways, we've had enough of your bullsh*t. In reality Lady Gaga, Bieber and others you hate actually have talent, and you know it. If Bieber has zero talent then why don't you try to sing like that?.... So, can you? That's what I thought, you can't. Therefore Bieber doesn't have zero talent. Go listen to your RnB if you want, I do not give a sh*t.

Musicians job is to entertain. If people are being entertained, then the musician is doing their job.

Mati
  • Mati

f*ck the planet till it spins on a broken axis

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:31 PM

Agree. Music from 2010 is all bullsh!t.

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:23 PM Edited by *MURDOC*, 27 December 2010 - 07:02 AM.

QUOTE (mati1501 @ Dec 26 2010, 10:31)
Agree. Music from 2010 is all bullsh!t.

Only if you're close-minded enough to judge all of the worlds music by a handful of artist.

Rejoice, the doorknob has been banned!

Useless Dave
  • Useless Dave

Voted member of the year 2010

• Members

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE (Ats. @ Dec 26 2010, 11:49)
@GTABlackKnight:

[RAGE]Please get the f*ck out of the forums. Your posts are so stupid, I have no words. Have a sh*tty day and I hope you'll get banned soon.[/RAGE]

Anyways, we've had enough of your bullsh*t. In reality Lady Gaga, Bieber and others you hate actually have talent, and you know it. If Bieber has zero talent then why don't you try to sing like that?.... So, can you? That's what I thought, you can't. Therefore Bieber doesn't have zero talent. Go listen to your RnB if you want, I do not give a sh*t.

Musicians job is to entertain. If people are being entertained, then the musician is doing their job.

Your whole argument of "YOU CAN'T DO IT SO HE MUST HAVE TALENT" is severely flawed. I can't currently drive, so does that mean everyone who can drive has talent? No. People get into car accidents every day. You can say "WELL ANYONE CAN LEARN TO DRIVE" in an attempt to argue this, but anyone can learn how to sing. Just not everyone can learn how to sing well. Same with driving.

And furthermore, it's further flawed because the only way Justin can really sing like that, which he has acknowledged, is because he hadn't properly hit puberty yet. If you look at live recordings recently, he can't hit all of the high notes that he could before, and even Wikipedia mentions this somewhere on his page, that he has to change up the songs a bit now because his voice is a bit deeper.

Lastly, it's just music. And he's a guy on the internet on a forum for a video game, that you will never actually meet in real life. Calm down.

Ats.
  • Ats.

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (Useless Dave @ Dec 27 2010, 08:37)
Lastly, it's just music. And he's a guy on the internet on a forum for a video game, that you will never actually meet in real life. Calm down.

Yeah, I know, but he just kept posting ignorant sh*t and in the end it pissed me off. Thank god he's banned now.

Claude4Catalina
  • Claude4Catalina

being a fag since '07

• Members

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:39 PM

I'm gonna use hip hop as an example.
it used to be Biggie and Pac running the scene, then artists like Jay Z, Eminem and the wave of late 90's/early 2000's mc's such as DMX came to light, but nowadays, the hottest in hip hop seem to be them Young Money wasters and Em, who, while Recovery was good, he still isn't at the top of his game. and one reason is because of teens only liking an artist for one track, so just download it straight up, using Eminem as an example, the other day waiting for a train with a female friend, playing music through my phone, got to Recovery, start playing Talkin' 2 Myself, and my friends asks me to play Love The Way You Lie, claiming she 'only likes his charts hit'. I'm sorry but the only reason LTWYL was so popular because of Em collaborating with Rhianna, which will attract teenyboppers, and then they claim to be fans of Eminem because of one song. that is what is wrong with music, people claiming to be fans, but probably couldn't name five non charting song from that artist, and this applies to all genres of music, not just hip hop.

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:13 PM

I'll give you whats wrong with music in two words:
NO ATMOSPHERE
This has plagued songs from every generation, although within time some people will enjoy a rather mediocre song for the sound quality of the recording which is part of the atmosphere I have to say.... But there are other things like the actual instrumentals, vocal expressions, and reverb that should evoke feelings of a time, place, or condition, etc. Most music today ("mainstream" or not) has all its sounds so clear it sounds so flat and dimensionaless; the future will probably hold even higher quality, crisp recordings that will probably add atmosphere to today's tracks but that's not enough.

Lyrics aren't enough, the sound itself can convey a message much stronger than anything you can write.

I want my surf reverb riffs with munchkin choruses and castanets dang it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users