Photo

What's wrong with music today?

113 replies to this topic
Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:25 PM

Yeah dude. Miles Davis sounded exactly like John Coltrane who sounded exactly like the Rolling Stones, who sounded exactly like Ray Charles, who sounded exactly like Deep Purple, who sounded exactly like James Brown, who sounded exactly like Reverend Gary Davis. I'm not sure if you're trolling, or just abhorrently ignorant. Either way, stop.

RobsEpicFret
  • RobsEpicFret

A man can be Destroyed,but not Defeated.

• Members

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:03 PM

your ear must be jacked up

Deep purple sound a bit the same because of course they're the same genre and 5FDP and Godsmack are the same thing they're like f*cking clones of each other, maybe your trolling,all people i know tought they were the same band.
this Awful whiny teenage sad sounding signing is not but crap
if your gonna sing sad why you have heavy guitars on the back???
sad signing isn't bad but when you do it like you freaking crying maybe becaause your girl left you, which is what they mostly sing about
and they have names that don't even fit the sound

the bleeding by FFDP and So Cold by Breaking Benjamin sound like a cover with different lyrics

Useless Dave
  • Useless Dave

Voted member of the year 2010

• Members

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (Moonshield @ Nov 30 2010, 14:25)
Yeah dude. Miles Davis sounded exactly like John Coltrane who sounded exactly like the Rolling Stones, who sounded exactly like Ray Charles, who sounded exactly like Deep Purple, who sounded exactly like James Brown, who sounded exactly like Reverend Gary Davis. I'm not sure if you're trolling, or just abhorrently ignorant. Either way, stop.

It's like he didn't say "It's just that most in that time just sucked and sounded the same."

I'm not sure if you're trolling, or if you just don't really read posts.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:23 PM

No. Now, you've got to see how absolutely ridiculous it is to baselessly say "most musicians sounded the same in the 60s" as if he's heard every single musician that produced work during the decade. You understand the concept of hyperbole, right?

Tyler
  • Tyler

time is a flat circle

• Unknown

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (NickRad @ Nov 30 2010, 05:02)
No i'm not into this mainstream junk believe me I'm not. It's just that most in that time just sucked and sounded the same. The only bands I like from those eras are Queen, Bon Jovi, ACDC and Rush.

So you like My Chemical Romance, but not 'mainstream sh*te'? Elaborate, I believe you just contradicted yourself, seeing as My Chemical Romance is mainstream.... sh*te.

NickRad
  • NickRad

I'm Boxxy you see

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE (Unoriginal44 @ Dec 1 2010, 09:39)
QUOTE (NickRad @ Nov 30 2010, 05:02)
No i'm not into this mainstream junk believe me I'm not. It's just that most in that time just sucked and sounded the same. The only bands I like from those eras are Queen, Bon Jovi, ACDC and Rush.

So you like My Chemical Romance, but not 'mainstream sh*te'? Elaborate, I believe you just contradicted yourself, seeing as My Chemical Romance is mainstream.... sh*te.

I'm sorry was that really necessary? I didn't come here and start naming your favourite bands/singers but I'll say this then, Gerard Way has waaaaaaaay more talent than Bob Dylan smile.gif

Thunderfuckrapist
  • Thunderfuckrapist

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:43 PM

Trolling or just retarded? Its hard to tell.

Tyler
  • Tyler

time is a flat circle

• Unknown

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (NickRad @ Dec 1 2010, 13:34)
I'm sorry was that really necessary? I didn't come here and start naming your favourite bands/singers but I'll say this then, Gerard Way has waaaaaaaay more talent than Bob Dylan smile.gif

So a guy that gets his kicks and money by blowing the goth cock of fame is better than a man who inspired the likes of almost every person you've ever listened to - including the cock gobbler? Get outta town man. You did actually start it up, and as a big fan of music in general, I'm going to go ahead and call you out on it. Why is Bob Dylan worse? Do you also hate Billy Idol for no reason, or Neil Young perhaps? Maybe you even hate Bob Crosby and Cole Porter, but I'm sure a connoisseur of music like yourself would never be caught dead with a record - much less music older than 2002 on your iPod?

You don't get why people call you a troll do you? It's because you say something that you know will antagonise someone, and you never elaborate further. Guess what? My chemical Romance is f*cking stupid. It's not a troll bro.

NickRad
  • NickRad

I'm Boxxy you see

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE (Unoriginal44 @ Dec 1 2010, 13:50)
QUOTE (NickRad @ Dec 1 2010, 13:34)

So a guy that gets his kicks and money by blowing the goth cock of fame is better than a man who inspired the likes of almost every person you've ever listened to - including the cock gobbler? Get outta town man. You did actually start it up, and as a big fan of music in general, I'm going to go ahead and call you out on it. Why is Bob Dylan worse? Do you also hate Billy Idol for no reason, or Neil Young perhaps? Maybe you even hate Bob Crosby and Cole Porter, but I'm sure a connoisseur of music like yourself would never be caught dead with a record - much less music older than 2002 on your iPod?

You don't get why people call you a troll do you? It's because you say something that you know will antagonise someone, and you never elaborate further. Guess what? My chemical Romance is f*cking stupid. It's not a troll bro.

Alright your forgetting one thing that this is my OPINION. I have nothing against Billy Idol and to be honest I've never heard of the others. Who gives a damn if most of the music on my iPhone isn't past the noughties, music is entertainment if I like a band/artist I don't expect you too agree. I didn't come here and start naming bands/singers because if you like certain bands/singers I'm not going to bad mouth them because thats your opinion. I can guarantee you'd like the stuff I like compared to the people at my school (Trust me on that). And if you think My Chemical Romance is stupid thats your opinion, there not my favourite band (Green Day and Muse tie) but when you start throwing around homosexual slander thats a bit far. FYI I actually don't hate Bob Dylan infact I don't mind a couple of his songs, I just think Gerard Way has more talent

RobsEpicFret
  • RobsEpicFret

• Members

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:31 AM

Theres a difference you know.

I dislike country but its a great genre
I dislike MOST of New school Rap and Pop and its a complete talentless genre

If you like your chemical romance so much why don't you tell us the reasons?
If you like Bob Dylan why don't you tell us the Reason?

Heres what i think, Chemical Romance? ummm never heard never will because its probally another boy band that an emo chick listens to in school(which i always hear em talk bout)
Bob Dylan is great no reasoning of hating him unless it isn't just your style

I'm gonna tell you Resons why i like my bands.

Led Zeppelin
Thats a great band even if some songs are kind of weird
they have some master peaces and the band wasn't split up until 1980
and all those 12 years only one member got out of the band which the reason was death
the drummer's brother who is a drummer too replaced him but ithink the band split up because of his death it happened in the same year
ok now my reasons

Lyrics-Not so Special on most of the songs i know but Stairway to Heaven were some Great lyrics!
Vocals-Robert Plant may not have the best voice but his style of singing is just great.
Instrumentals-The Guitar Riffs are a blast however the solos in most songs are not the greatest but were really cool,specialy Tangerine Solo
Drums were really enjoyable good rhythym.
Song Topics-I Like how now all the songs are not the same thing. and every song title amazes me how unique it is

i could list more but just so tired sleepy.gif

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (RobsEpicFret @ Dec 2 2010, 02:31)
Heres what i think, Chemical Romance? ummm never heard never will because its probally another boy band that an emo chick listens to in school(which i always hear em talk bout)
Bob Dylan is great no reasoning of hating him unless it isn't just your style

You negated your own points when you said you dislike My Chemical Romance and you have never heard them and will never hear them. You can't have a go at someone for stating their, admittedly slightly misguided opinions about certain artists when you yourself are doing the same thing.

Only words I'm going to say on this, My Chemical Romance are far from a bad band, they're not the best band ever or the most talented but over the years they've crafted some catchy rock songs and shown they're a little bit more then a typical 'emo' band. The fact that they at least try to differentiate themselves from album to album is something that should be commended at the very least before simply slagging them off. Also it's worth noting that they're one of the very few bands in the mainstream that have attempted to do a concept album in the past few years which shows again that they're not just trying to follow a crowd.

The only issue that I really have is the image issue, but that is most because of their fans who do tend to buy into the emo lifestyle a bit more then the band themselves do. Its one of those situations where the fans can actually put you off of the product.

It really annoys me when you get people slagging off the music of a certain band or artist because of their supposed image or their fans without having listened to the band first. Being a fan of Prog Rock I see it a lot, a band I've just gotten into called Marillion gets a bit of a bad rep or just completely ignored because of having proggy roots yet some of their music is beautiful. It's always worth listening to the band first before you just say "I'll never listen to them but they're probably this, this, this" because you might be surprised.

Tyler
  • Tyler

time is a flat circle

• Unknown

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:30 AM

Just to note, I listened to My Chemical Romance when their first two albums were still new. I liked most of the first, but found their change horrible, and frankly I thought they just bought into their audience to try and get more sales. A bit too much.

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (Unoriginal44 @ Dec 2 2010, 11:30)
Just to note, I listened to My Chemical Romance when their first two albums were still new. I liked most of the first, but found their change horrible, and frankly I thought they just bought into their audience to try and get more sales. A bit too much.

I've heard Three Cheers, Black Parade and one or two tracks from the latest. I didn't really like Three Cheers, I enjoyed Black Parade to a point, the first five or so tracks are good, then the few tracks after that are a bit dull and then the last two go back to being good. I've heard the two single releases from the new one and they're pretty decent.

They're certainly not mindblowing or the greatest band that there has ever been but image/fans aside and they do have some pretty decent songs there.

Useless Dave
  • Useless Dave

• Members

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (Moonshield @ Nov 30 2010, 19:23)
No. Now, you've got to see how absolutely ridiculous it is to baselessly say "most musicians sounded the same in the 60s" as if he's heard every single musician that produced work during the decade. You understand the concept of hyperbole, right?

And at the same time, you can't really argue his opinion. Have you heard every single musician that produced work during the decade? Me neither.

RobsEpicFret
  • RobsEpicFret

• Members

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:44 PM

I Listeneed to some OLD chemical romance today
they were Okay i don't really care if their emo...
but new songs are like....MEH.

But i think bob dylan is much better

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Feds

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:42 PM

David Gilmour from Pink Floyd has more talent in his left kneecap than all of My Chemical Romance combined.

Tyler
  • Tyler

time is a flat circle

• Unknown

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:03 AM Edited by Unoriginal44, 03 December 2010 - 01:07 AM.

QUOTE (Vanilla Shake @ Dec 2 2010, 17:42)
David Gilmour from Pink Floyd has more talent in his left kneecap than all of My Chemical Romance combined.

To me, most bands today just seem like another brick in the wall eh?

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:53 AM Edited by The-King, 03 December 2010 - 02:07 AM.

QUOTE (NickRad @ Dec 1 2010, 17:35)
Snip

Your opinion became invalid the moment you lumped Rush in with AC/DC.

Is it not ironic that I'm listening to Malignant Narcissism off of Snakes And Arrows at this very moment?

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:15 AM

QUOTE (Useless Dave @ Dec 2 2010, 13:56)

And at the same time, you can't really argue his opinion. Have you heard every single musician that produced work during the decade? Me neither.

Yet I've heard enough, even the top selling artists of the time, to know that most didn't "suck and sound the same" as he puts it. You can't justify such a baseless argument whatsoever.

Useless Dave
  • Useless Dave

• Members

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE (Moonshield @ Dec 3 2010, 02:15)
QUOTE (Useless Dave @ Dec 2 2010, 13:56)

Yet I've heard enough, even the top selling artists of the time, to know that most didn't "suck and sound the same" as he puts it. You can't justify such a baseless argument whatsoever.

Who says he hasn't? And even then, it's just opinions.

I'm not a fan of '60s music but I don't hate it either.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:00 PM

Wait, so blindly disregarding any sort of logic with the argument that "it's his opinion" is perfectly okay? That goes WAY beyond saying you hate a genre of music. I get it that it's his opinion, and that's fine, but that doesn't mean it isn't an ignorant one (read: uninformed opinion vs informed opinion). That sort of logic would have held up in the 1500s, along with "The Earth is Flat!" and "The sky is a giant water tank!" but today's different man. There's the scientific method along with logic and reasoning. So maybe if he came and backed up his opinion, that an entire decade of music sucked, with these things called facts, his opinion might be credible. Until then, I'm done talking about it.

win001
  • win001

Top Gear

• Members

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:02 AM

The modern day equivalent of Madonna is probably Lady Gaga. Obviously the modern day ones are crap.

Ok, something wrong with music is the failure to make good lyrics and tunes. There wasn't any auto-tune crap in the 80s, weren't there? Today's artists are very lazy, from what I noticed. From Katy Pery singing about guys online to Gaga singing ra-ra-ra-ra ro-ma-ro-ma, they're basically caused by laziness. They don't have any ideas so that means they're just making crappy songs. While in the 80s, it wasn't like that. From Bryan Adams singing about why he hardly believes that they are in heaven to Guns n Roses singing about the jungle. Hey, isn't 80s a little bit interesting? They put effort in making music. It's almost like they naturally just want to make wonderful music. They don't care about money and fame. They just care in making quality music. While in today's music they just make crappy songs for money and fame. And also I don't think today's artists want to make music. As I said earlier they just care about money and fame and getting famous people to like and marry them. Anything that comes to mind they just use that without further research. But artists in the 80s anything that comes to mind they just use that and research it to make their lyrics better.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:21 AM

Music was just as bad in the 80's. The big thing is that we've forgotten all the sh*t and only remember the good artists. I can guarantee that there'll be people in twenty year's time saying exactly the same thing but about this decade.

The amount of rose tint on your glasses is unparalleled.

GTABlackKnight
  • GTABlackKnight

Respect the Old-School

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (win001 @ Dec 17 2010, 00:02)

The modern day equivalent of Madonna is probably Lady Gaga. Obviously the modern day ones are crap.

Ok, something wrong with music is the failure to make good lyrics and tunes. There wasn't any auto-tune crap in the 80s, weren't there? Today's artists are very lazy, from what I noticed. From Katy Pery singing about guys online to Gaga singing ra-ra-ra-ra ro-ma-ro-ma, they're basically caused by laziness. They don't have any ideas so that means they're just making crappy songs. While in the 80s, it wasn't like that. From Bryan Adams singing about why he hardly believes that they are in heaven to Guns n Roses singing about the jungle. Hey, isn't 80s a little bit interesting? They put effort in making music. It's almost like they naturally just want to make wonderful music. They don't care about money and fame. They just care in making quality music. While in today's music they just make crappy songs for money and fame. And also I don't think today's artists want to make music. As I said earlier they just care about money and fame and getting famous people to like and marry them. Anything that comes to mind they just use that without further research. But artists in the 80s anything that comes to mind they just use that and research it to make their lyrics better.

i 100% agree with you icon14.gif

@Robinski go fall off a jagged edge cliff.

Chunk
  • Chunk

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (Unoriginal44 @ Dec 3 2010, 02:03)
QUOTE (Vanilla Shake @ Dec 2 2010, 17:42)

To me, most bands today just seem like another brick in the wall eh?

Well, that was terrible.

nerner
  • nerner

OG

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (GTABlackKnight @ Dec 17 2010, 15:34)
@Robinski go fall off a jagged edge cliff.

I just love people who can have reasoned debates about music. No really, shut up.

@win001: You are yet again doing what most people do in this situation, you imagine that everyone was singing like Bryan Adams or Guns and Roses. They weren't. As I'm sure I have already said, you're subconsciously picking songs which you like from that decade and applying that to be the norm. This freedom of choice is what governs your musical views in a way; to stereotype specific genres and eras of music based on a small selection which you have chosen yourself is just stupid.

What you are doing is effectively saying that all flowers in a field are beautiful even though you have only seen glimpses from the outside of the field. While when you are standing in another field you simply can't see the beautiful plants as you can't look beyond the ugly flowers that surround you.

Music today is still good, you just need to get off of your arse and look for it. Try out some music compatibility tests or something; as long as you stop moaning and making quite frankly baseless accussations I couldn't care less.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (Robinski @ Dec 17 2010, 01:21)
The big thing is that we've forgotten all the sh*t and only remember the good artists.

I don't know dude, he brought up Bryan Adams.

win001
  • win001

Top Gear

• Members

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (nerner @ Dec 17 2010, 16:12)
Music today is still good, you just need to get off of your arse and look for it. Try out some music compatibility tests or something; as long as you stop moaning and making quite frankly baseless accussations I couldn't care less.

Well, I do like early 2000s music. Some sound retarded, but most are actually funny and good.

Late 2000s is what im talking about. It's just pure crap. Green Day? Give me a break.

So, starting in 2007, music was just complete crap. 1960-2006 music was very good.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:28 PM Edited by Indi., 17 December 2010 - 09:31 PM.

I have not been following this topic very much with the discussion/debating side of things. But expoxi... so in other words we changed the way music is, I absoultely agree with everything you have said.

You summed it up nicely, very nicely; and Justin Bieber is a talented kid, but like I say would you really turn down that amount of money? I know I would for dignity, but obviously Bieber just wants the money. But he is a talented singer and musician.

The only people who actually buy music these days (modern) are like you said teenagers who probably don't know anything good about music. If you compare the music from the 50s and 60s to today. You can just tell that music is just so bad now on mainstream radio; it is absoultely f*cking atrocious, all it is about is love and "teenage dreams" and all that bollocks, all I listen to now is music from 30-50 years ago, nothing from today. I see adverts on TV and I just want to pity of how music has gone, terrible.

Same re-cycled beats, laziness and shocking lyrics. Someone get a music legend from the 60s-80s please back in the studio.

nerner
  • nerner

OG

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (win001 @ Dec 17 2010, 21:13)
QUOTE (nerner @ Dec 17 2010, 16:12)

Well, I do like early 2000s music. Some sound retarded, but most are actually funny and good.

Late 2000s is what im talking about. It's just pure crap. Green Day? Give me a break.

So, starting in 2007, music was just complete crap. 1960-2006 music was very good.

Contrary to popular belief, music doesn't just suddenly become crap. Read my post, find some music from the late noughties that you like, and then stop moaning.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users