Photo

What's wrong with music today?

113 replies to this topic
epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:13 PM Edited by epoxi, 23 September 2010 - 05:19 PM.

Here are just my thoughts on why music in the charts is so terrible today, and why it wasn't in previous decades.

Well, first of all, how do you get a record in the Top 40? You have to sell more of your single than anyone else. So if people like your music they'll go out and buy it, and all the decent music rises to the top...in theory.

This was true before the third millennium reared its ugly head and there was another factor: the internet. Suddenly, 90% of the market isn't buying music any more because they can take it for nothing, guilt-free, with no security guard running after them.

Now make yourself the leader of a record company, you're panicking, you try to get the government to sort it out, but they simply can't or won't do anything for you: it's just not worth their time. So you spend the next few years running around like a headless chicken, watching your stock price drop, and your empire falling around you.

Suddenly, you realise something. Someone is still buying music. Someone with a disposable income, someone who doesn't know how to use file-sharing, someone who buys everything on impulse...this is the average 15 year old girl in Western society.

So the most logical thing to do is drop all your flailing rap-stars and rock legends, and swap it all for what these girls want. Make generic songs about love, make TV shows where the mobile phone-wielding kids will actually pay you to vote, and even do your job for you by picking the ones they want. Take all your existing talented singers and make them sing soft-core dance music: it's what gets everyone paid!

Disney and Nickelodeon get in on the act too: take your existing TV shows and franchise them, with the magic of auto-tune you can make hit records and pedal them to your audience at no extra cost.

So in essence, music hasn't become bland, irritating and unimaginative because the human race is degenerating into tasteless consumers, it's because you've stopped paying for decent music, so the record companies aren't catering to you any more.

Take everyone's favourite controversy Justin Bieber, he is no doubt a very talented singer, and from what I've seen he is extremely polite and humble, plus he has the endorsement of Usher: an R&B heavyweight. But when he steps into the recording booth he is given terrible songs, and sings them.
Put yourself in his shoes: you can either sing the song, make millions and be top of the charts...or you can stand up to your boss, make a fool of yourself and be replaced by some auto-tune kid off the street within minutes.

What personally gets on my nerves (apart from the Bieber and GaGa haters who spend more time talking about them than the fans do) are people like Ke$ha: she can't sing, isn't attractive, girls look up to her but all she can talk about is getting drunk, acting like a whore and only furthering the spoilt teenage stereotype. In this respect, at least Bieber and even the Jonas Brothers (yeah, I went there) are respectful, careful about their behaviour and lyrics, and are generally nice guys.

There's always been cheesy teen pop in the charts, but the proportion of the music market it made up was correlated to the number of people who liked it. It's just that the linking factor was how much people actually spent on the records.

tl;dr : Don't complain about the Top40 if you don't buy music.

inb4 "epoxi has beeber feever lulz"
inb4 "Actually, I buy all my music on vinyl, carefully frame each one and place it on my wall to invite the friends I don't have round to admire them."

Let the poo-flinging begin... turn.gif

Minus the Boom
  • Minus the Boom

Today is the first day of the rest of our lives

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:43 PM

I never quite thought of it this way, but you make sense, and you might be right. I never quite understood why JB has to die because he makes music a lot of people (including me) don't like, but it seems to be the cool thing to do right now. I don't buy music and I don't complain about the Top40 in general, but that doesn't stop me from complaining about the songs if I'm somehow forced to hear them.

E.A.B.
  • E.A.B.

Group: Leone Mafia Family

• Members

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:09 PM

I always thought it was because companies started targeting young teenagers (10-15).

I mean, I see a lot of these 10-15 year olds dress VERY fashionably these days, so I always thought it was consumerism taking hold of them and catering to them.

The people who liked 'good music' always numbered less than the generic pop madness. It's always been that way. The people that watch Family Guy number much more than the people that watch [Pretty good but under watched show X]. Everything works in a pyramid.

Similarly, if everyone that downloads [awesome band X]'s music buys it, it still wouldn't get it into the top 40 cause MOST PEOPLE DON'T LISTEN TO THEM. Your theory only works if the people that listen to Band A are numbered enough to get that band into the top 40.

Anyways, I always attributed it to a new market opened up for pre-teens and very young kids. Plus, companies getting more crafty. Whereas before, bands came up to companies, now companies go up to people and make them into bands. Remember N*Sync? Backstreet Boys? Yep.

They can sing, though. But sh*t like Big Time Rush makes no argument against the fact that they were picked for their looks and merchandised right away. To who? Look at their videos. 9-15 year old girls.

or we're just getting older. You know how old people complain about how things are different from before? Yep....

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:46 PM

The thing is though, will I ever, realistically, stop pirating music of my own accord? No. Do I feel bad about this? Yes. If I had the amount of disposable income to buy all the albums, EPs, singles etc that I wanted I would, and I'd be glad that these people were getting the money that they deserve. But I don't, so in the foreseeable future I'll be pirating music and feeling bad about it. I still buy music occasionally, but only for bands that I know will need the support or for artists that I really enjoy. For massive acts that I know won't be massively affected my my £5 I'll try and go to a show if it's nearby and buy some merch while I'm there to help support them instead.

I really agree with you on the whole point about acts like Justin Bieber and Jonas Brothers vs acts like Ke$ha. I may not like either JB act musically (they're certainly not my style) but at least they have some talent and seem like decent people, as opposed to Ke$ha who thinks that being rock'n'roll means being drunk and wasted all the time.

Actually looking at the UK and US Top 40's though there are some noticeable differences. The type of pop music you're talking about seems much more prevalent over there; your top 40 seems to be exclusively pop with an eminem song every now and then. Compare this to the current UK top 40, while still very pop-y, there's a lot more variation with stuff like dubstep and grime having quite a foothold.

BTW, it's GaGa who's ruining music, not Ke$ha tounge.gif .

PS: While looking at the US chart I noticed Florence and the Machine pretty high up. This is good, glad to see her doing well over there.

Useless Dave
  • Useless Dave

Voted member of the year 2010

• Members

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (epoxi @ Sep 23 2010, 17:13)
Suddenly, you realise something. Someone is still buying music. Someone with a disposable income, someone who doesn't know how to use file-sharing, someone who buys everything on impulse...this is the average 15 year old girl in Western society.

What 15 year old girl doesn't use LimeWire?

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:57 PM Edited by epoxi, 23 September 2010 - 09:59 PM.

QUOTE (Robinski @ Sep 23 2010, 18:46)
BTW, it's GaGa who's ruining music, not Ke$ha  tounge.gif .

Again, it's a case of the market being silly and not the supplier.

I recall at the Brit Awards, Lady GaGa sang a very impressive soul-style rendition of Telephone (I know, I know, but if you heard it you would appreciate what I'm saying), and that completely changed my opinion of her as it showed her ability and her willingness to experiment.

However, I was very disappointed when I heard the radio the next day in which other 'stars' (namely Emma Bunton...ex-Spice Girl...*sigh*) were saying "Oh, it was great to see her there, but it wasn't very good. I wanted to hear Poker Face."

user posted image

QUOTE (Useless Dave @ Sep 23 2010, 19:11)

The ones who aren't your sister.

02fishera
  • 02fishera

PSN ID: TeamTango91

• The Yardies
  • England

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:24 PM

Justin Bieber polite and humble? Don't make me laugh happy.gif I saw some interview with him a couple of months back, he was trying to chat up the presenter (and failing)and the presenter looked really uncomfortable. I think the kid is too smug for his own good.

Other than that I completely agree with the rest of your article, people need to start buying music so that we can get rid of generic and stop Simon Cowell from lining his pockets with the money he makes from an X Factor Xmas number 1.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (02fishera @ Sep 23 2010, 22:24)
Justin Bieber polite and humble? Don't make me laugh happy.gif I saw some interview with him a couple of months back, he was trying to chat up the presenter (and failing)and the presenter looked really uncomfortable. I think the kid is too smug for his own good.

You may be right, I'm just basing my opinion on a couple of interviews I've seen and on videos like this:

Everyone comments "Uhuhuhuhohaouh yeah he so dumb, he got hit by a bottle," but instead of throwing a hissy fit or getting angry like most would, he took it in his stride.

Useless Dave
  • Useless Dave

• Members

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (epoxi @ Sep 23 2010, 21:57)
QUOTE (Useless Dave @ Sep 23 2010, 19:11)

The ones who aren't your sister.

I don't have Down Syndrome so I didn't find this funny.

But seriously, every teenage girl I know uses LimeWire or some other sh*tty virus filled sites/programs. It's not that uncommon. Because the lot of them think "I'll only like this song on the album anyway" and just download that one song. They have better things (to them) to spend money on than an album.

GTABlackKnight
  • GTABlackKnight

Respect the Old-School

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:54 AM

I recall at the Brit Awards, Lady GaGa sang a very impressive [B]soul-style rendition of Telephone[B/] (I know, I know, but if you heard it you would appreciate what I'm saying), and that completely changed my opinion of her as it showed her ability and her willingness to experiment.

However, I was very disappointed when I heard the radio the next day in which other 'stars' (namely Emma Bunton...ex-Spice Girl...*sigh*) were saying "Oh, it was great to see her there, but it wasn't very good. I wanted to hear Poker Face."

icon13.gif i saw that and it sucked. she ain't even got no soul in her. she's a f*cking pop singer. this proves that she's failing to try to be black. she might as well go f*cking kill herself right now. suicidal.gif

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:59 AM

Woah.. I totally agree with you here epoxi. Totally.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:01 AM

QUOTE (GTABlackKnight @ Sep 23 2010, 22:54)
I recall at the Brit Awards, Lady GaGa sang a very impressive [B]soul-style rendition of Telephone[B/] (I know, I know, but if you heard it you would appreciate what I'm saying), and that completely changed my opinion of her as it showed her ability and her willingness to experiment.

icon13.gif i saw that and it sucked. she ain't even got no soul in her. she's a f*cking pop singer. this proves that she's failing to try to be black. she might as well go f*cking kill herself right now. suicidal.gif

Will you please knock this "I HATE GAGA SHE SUCKS" sh*t off? It's f*cking annoying.

Thunderfuckrapist
  • Thunderfuckrapist

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:04 AM

GOOD music has only existed underground for the last 20-30 years, and that's where it will remain. Sure every once in a blue moon something actually worthwhile gets some airplay, but its quickly swamped by the tidal wave of bullsh*t that is todays music "industry". If your looking for good music, the radio or TV is not where you're going to find it. The bright side is that there will always be kids around the world being creating new and good music, you just have to look a little hard to find it is all.

NickRad
  • NickRad

I'm Boxxy you see

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:23 AM

This is
user posted image

Useless Dave
  • Useless Dave

• Members

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (NickRad @ Sep 24 2010, 05:23)
This is
user posted image

He didn't actually say that. You know this, correct?

Suihkubad
  • Suihkubad

Peon

• Members

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:13 PM

You people got to understand that there is no good and bad music. Musics job is to entertain----> good music entertains---->people buy music they get entertained buy----->the guy who sells most records is the best musician/singer/player.

Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:52 PM

Just because [whatever you like] isn't in the top 40, doesn't mean that they aren't producing it anymore. It's just not the popular music right now. If you like metal, there is still metal being produced. You just might have to look beyond VH1's countdown to find it.

I really don't get how people can say that they hate music because it's so easily avoided. If you don't like Gaga, don't listen to her. It really is that easy.

JayM
  • JayM

Mighty Ink

• Members

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:05 AM

I think you're bang on, the internet was always going to change the charts in some way through illegal downloading. Your theory behind it makes sense too and I also agree about the people who spend a lot of their time discussing how they hate Bieber, GaGa, etc. I'll never understand those people.

Tommy-Vercetti19
  • Tommy-Vercetti19

Sure, Grand, No Probs

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:37 PM

Also because since all the labels want are these people to cater to the 10-15 teenagers, many decent bands and mucisians with great talent are being pushed aside and forced to go underground so many of them are unheard of.

It's like if you don't get through on Britain's Got Talent/X-Factor your not going to go anywhere. That ideology has to be removed.

Trevor Phillips Enterprise
  • Trevor Phillips Enterprise

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:51 PM

QUOTE (OnePiece @ Sep 24 2010, 03:04)
GOOD music has only existed underground for the last 20-30 years, and that's where it will remain. Sure every once in a blue moon something actually worthwhile gets some airplay, but its quickly swamped by the tidal wave of bullsh*t that is todays music "industry". If your looking for good music, the radio or TV is not where you're going to find it. The bright side is that there will always be kids around the world being creating new and good music, you just have to look a little hard to find it is all.

This.

I go to underground DIY gigs and festivals...thats why I don't give a sh*t about whats on the radio or how much of a ponse Justin Beiber is or how sh*te Lady Gaga is, because I boycotted all of that commercial bullsh*t when I was a kid. Instead of watching the X-Factor every week or going to pay £30-£50 to see some sh*t like U2...get down to your local music scene and pay to see something decent.

This is a prime example as to why I just can't help but laugh in the faces of those who have their heads rammed so far up the corporations arses that they come out with absurd comments like "Punk is dead"....no it isn't, it is fully alive where it belongs, and that is in the underground. The Punk scene is probabally the most authentic, without a doubt, thats why I love it and hate anything commercial.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE (Wreckless Jake @ Sep 30 2010, 18:51)
The Punk scene is probabally the most authentic, without a doubt, thats why I love it and hate anything commercial.

lol. High horse much? Get over yourself dude.

A lot of punk is as much of a contrived fashion scene than anything else in the mainstream. You get the burnt-out old geezer street punks that have been in the scene since the 70s and 80s and are in it until they die wearing the same goddamn black jeans they did back then, and then the dudes that try WAY too hard to look and be "punx" with their leather jackets, kuttes and sh*tty haircuts, and their choosing to squat and not contribute anything to the local economy in any way (they're often one in the same). They're worse than the trendsters that shop at malls to look for the exact outfit they just saw Snookie wear on Jersey Shore, even though they know better than them. They make a conscious to fit into their scene just like teenieboppers, instead of being a f*cking individual. They're f*cking jokes. Yeah, there are tons of genuine people in the scenes, but it really depends on the city's scene itself. My city's full of fakes that care more about judging you and your band, talking sh*t about you and your band, and desperately trying to look cool. BUT if you go even 90 minutes north to Columbus, you'll find some great kids that care about the music, and not about a f*cking fashion show. Everybody's positive, and appreciate what the local, semi-local, and the bigger national bands that come through, and have a great time.

Tyler
  • Tyler

[rain]

• Unknown

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:23 AM

Moon, I love the way you preach inlove.gif

Nowadays, I think we can all agree that anything on radio is 'Mainstream', at least by the standards everyone here is proclaiming. So what, there's new music? Get over it, love it, or don't listen to it. Your only going to change it by trying, and lord knows that if you're on here (The Internet), then you are probably not trying to do anything.

I think the people I hate the most with this sort of arguments are the ones who solely stick to the 'Man, today's music suck! Steve Perry and John Fogherty are the sh*t!', even though they don't realise that the same message that they preach, is the same thing that makes music more different. If I turned on the radio to a pop station and heard CCR, The Doors, The Band, Foreigner, Journey, Led Zepplin or any other 'good music' (I'm not saying those bands are bad, in fact I f*cking love everyone of them), I would be severely disappointed - no matter how conservative I am. For god's sake, things change, and the theory at the original post may well be the reason it has turned into what it is today. This whole 'staying with the scene' thing Moon was talking about earlier is exactly my point.

If you really do only listen to one group, or consider yourself a certain brand, then you are already incapable of judging other artist's music. Get over your image and learn that people like Lady Gaga actually can sing - despite their fashion and image. I'm not saying you should buy all of her albums, I'm only trying to make sure everyone here understands that the over-simplification of musical genres is only doing two things. Re-enforcing the cliché, and making your bias purposefully too conservative to actually help music progress. As long as I can remember I embraced most of music, that is, except for techno and electronic music altogether. Recently however, I have listened to a very talented artist of the genre and learned to appreciate how great electronic can be, and in the process eating my own words.

Anyway, to answer the OP's arbitrary question, the problem with music today is 'you'. It's 'your' opinion, though, not 'your' inability to purchase tracks off of the internet legitimately.

Cheat
  • Cheat

the only people for me are the mad ones

• The Connection

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:42 AM

Oh dear Merciful Lord...
Any-f*ckin'-time I see talk about 'real' music, I see it followed or majorly consisting of anti-Bieber and anti-Gaga comments, but you know what?

Music is entertainment. If someone is entertained by their music, so be it.
If you aren't, fine, don't be, but do you really need to complain? No.

I agree, piracy sucks, I agree, to me, personally, mainstream music mostly sucks nowadays, but that doesn't give me the right to judge whoever likes today's mainstream music, and it neither gives me the right to judge whoever is making the music.

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

DYOM mission designer/user

• Members

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:27 PM

I'll just say this: After the 80's, the music died. I really wish I was born in the 80's but I wasn't so f*ck it. But anyways, the fact that music died is this: ---> that is what the teenagers in my country listen to these days....pure horror cry.gif .... And how can you explain to them that Guns N Roses, Ac/Dc, Michael Jackon, Motley Crue etc. are good?? You can't...the teenagers of the 2000 -> present are DEF...It's sad really.

Dark.
  • Dark.

unfed pendulum.

• Members

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (Jimmy_Leppard @ Nov 19 2010, 15:27)
I'll just say this: After the 80's, the music died. I really wish I was born in the 80's but I wasn't so f*ck it.

Well, everyone likes what they like. The problem is that there's an extremely small amount of diversity on the radio today; it all sounds the f*ckin' same, and most of it sounds horrible and simple to play. I used to listen to mainly 80's stuff myself- Maiden (always will), Michael Jackson (is a god), Mötley Crüe, Metallica, Dokken, etc.- that is, up until recently. There's a whole lot of music out there, and to say that music died with the 80's means you're limiting your tastes and not opening up to new things. Believe me, I know that most of what is popular today sucks total ass, but if you do some research on artists that are out there but not too well-known, you'll find some great music! I recently expanded my tastes to include experimental metal and avant-garde. After listening to a few bands of those styles, I realized just how much more I prefer them over stuff like glam rock (which isn't too great to begin with) and ordinary heavy metal. It's all about inventing the future, not recreating the past! smile.gif

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

RIP Amy WINEHOUSE!GRANT RODIEK is back to the EA GAMES!&

• Members

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:28 PM Edited by cidamelo, 19 November 2010 - 08:31 PM.

Hi, I remember that in the 80's, my parents used to say their music was better, so I think maybe it is a nostalgical feeling, even thought I prefer old songs. But I like songs of nowadays too, obviously there's bad songs, but when these tv shows plays songs from 80s, they play only the best songs, and nowadays they play the bad and the good songs. I think Justin Bieber has some nice songs, like One Time, but I thought he was a lesbian girl. I don't like Ke$ha very much, her songs are kind annoying and you're right, she has an awful body!!

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

DYOM mission designer/user

• Members

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (Dark. @ Nov 19 2010, 20:23)
QUOTE (Jimmy_Leppard @ Nov 19 2010, 15:27)
I'll just say this: After the 80's, the music died. I really wish I was born in the 80's but I wasn't so f*ck it.

Well, everyone likes what they like. The problem is that there's an extremely small amount of diversity on the radio today; it all sounds the f*ckin' same, and most of it sounds horrible and simple to play. I used to listen to mainly 80's stuff myself- Maiden (always will), Michael Jackson (is a god), Mötley Crüe, Metallica, Dokken, etc.- that is, up until recently. There's a whole lot of music out there, and to say that music died with the 80's means you're limiting your tastes and not opening up to new things. Believe me, I know that most of what is popular today sucks total ass, but if you do some research on artists that are out there but not too well-known, you'll find some great music! I recently expanded my tastes to include experimental metal and avant-garde. After listening to a few bands of those styles, I realized just how much more I prefer them over stuff like glam rock (which isn't too great to begin with) and ordinary heavy metal. It's all about inventing the future, not recreating the past! smile.gif

No, no. I'm not limiting anything. There is good music today aswell, but what I meant to say is that there are some bands that are awfull and people listen to them just because it's cool or some sh*t... Like I posted a song in my previous post...what do they hear in it? That's called non musicality. I'm searching for an unique music and today's music is just a cheap copy of the 80's tunes..that is sad...really sad.

RobsEpicFret
  • RobsEpicFret

A man can be Destroyed,but not Defeated.

• Members

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:53 PM

This is how i judge music
Just Because you don't like doesn't mean it stupid, maybe its not just your taste
I Love Classic Rock and Metal
but i don't like Country but it still has talent in it, it just isn't my thing
but when it comes to some hip hop artist like lil wayne
He Has a bad voice
always the same thing his talking about
bad lyrics that only people who don't know any oher rappers might like
he tries to get attention by saying, he lived on a violent neighborhood
try to look sad and crap,but look at him now
Hes a f*cking Gang banging ass bad example for kids
every guy who listens to lil wayne in my class act like kids and think they gang bangers specially when rapping his music
WHAT DO PEOPLE SEE IN HIM??? most of people say:Oh He Cold, Hes G
Justin beiber Doesn't have talent neither, only lilttle girls or teenages listen to him
who cares of how he looks thats not music,he looks like a lesbian anyways
he uses auto tune and his lyrics sound like he got it from a Dr.Seuss book
And really polite and humble? hes a f*cking ass behind cameras with the staff!
i can tell you anysong i like,why its talented and why i personaly like it.

Dark.
  • Dark.

unfed pendulum.

• Members

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (RobsEpicFret @ Nov 19 2010, 17:53)
he uses auto tune

People shouldn't even bother singing if they constantly need their vocals electronically enhanced and pitch-corrected. The whole idea of "auto-tune" doesn't cut it for me, unless it's used to purposely make speech humorous (e.g. YouTube videos). It's just degrading to a musician.

Ats.
  • Ats.

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:09 PM Edited by Ats., 19 November 2010 - 10:13 PM.

I believe there's no such thing as 'good music'. Like Cheat said, music is entertainment. If someone is entertained by Soulja Boy, Justin Bieber or any other artist then let them be. You can't force yourself to like and dislike something just because others do.

To close minded people like GTABlackKnight, I say f*ck you. Why do you waste time writing tens of posts about how much you hate Lady Gaga or w/e? Why do you care?

QUOTE (Dark.)
People shouldn't even bother singing if they constantly need their vocals electronically enhanced and pitch-corrected. The whole idea of "auto-tune" doesn't cut it for me, unless it's used to purposely make speech humorous (e.g. YouTube videos). It's just degrading to a musician.

Auto-tune is actually just a voice effect. To successfully pull it off, you must have some singing abilities. It isn't that easy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users