» «
Photo

70s music

116 replies to this topic
Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

I Still Jerk-off Manually

• Members

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:37 AM Edited by Marlowe., 29 August 2011 - 08:30 AM.

Get your groove one! cool.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:38 PM Edited by Slamman, 30 August 2011 - 10:45 PM.

Nice Sig there! haha Steve Miller is not a personal favorite but again, got exposed at a young age, and he's a staple of USA Rock radio, plain and simple. Jungle Love... Long before I knew there was some connotation to the term!

Speaking of The Pusherman....

Hoyt Axton getting credit? I found it was Steppenwolf only a decade or so ago! haha

I neglected this is 1967/68, a bit before the 1970s, but it's hard for me to recall ANYTHING that young. Hoyt Axton played a funny character in the HB Halicki car crash movies back so long ago, he was personal friend of HB. (The maker of Gone in 60 Seconds and it's successors)

Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

• Members

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:04 AM

My parents had to tell me what a 'midnight toker' was. I don't know if anyone uses that term anymore (if ever). Anyway, S'more Steve Miller, just cause.

70s Aerosmith > all other Aerosmith, case in point:

And somthing off of DP's best album,

...there's somthing about Ian Gillian's voice on that record...I could listen to him sing, scream and shout for hours.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:52 AM Edited by Slamman, 02 September 2011 - 05:02 AM.

I can see SOME folks round here gifted with a golden pair of ears, I included! hahaha

Reminded me of Moving Out by Billy Joel, Love that song since the 70s, too!

UFO I remind everyone, pay a visit to the thread down the page for more ROCKIN' SCHENKER guitarwork!!

Illousion
  • Illousion

Over the hills and far away

• The Connection

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:29 PM

The Doors - L.A. Woman

Damn good song! Heard it at the Hard Rock Cafe at Hollywood Boulevard and I just can't get it out of my head.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:18 PM

Along with The Eagles, a band with only Timothy B. Schmit from Cali, They are one band that personifies California in general.

I got one I'm kicking myself for neglect... ZZ TOP, very much an FM radio staple, that didn't happen by accident, they write songs that many folks like hearing day in, day out. Sadly, the one song licensed to GTA is not this one!!
Shame, Housers, get on the ball and rock with some ZZ that sounds better then cabaret! haha

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:55 PM

Wouldn't ZZ Top be 80s?

You guys know Devo was a way better band before the synthesizer craze? Just some good guitar, bass, and drum work with great f*cked up lyrics.

Here are a few of my favorite 70s Devo.

Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

• Members

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:05 AM

I can really relate to "I Need A Chick" 70s Devo is great!

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:27 AM Edited by Slamman, 09 September 2011 - 02:13 AM.

QUOTE (trip @ Friday, Sep 2 2011, 20:55)
Wouldn't ZZ Top be 80s?

You guys know Devo was a way better band before the synthesizer craze?  Just some good guitar, bass, and drum work with great f*cked up lyrics.

Here are a few of my favorite 70s Devo.....

You're thinking VIDEO AGE, there, Tripmills, Remember ZZ is that Little ole band from Texas LONG before video promos found a home and outlet on cable, Promotional videos (music videos for the kids these days) were around BEFORE MTV as well!

Anyway, La Grange, for instance ...a radio staple but covered by the backyard ANY Gig they'll take it Van Halen band! haha

Speaking of Edward Van Halen and Billy F. Gibbons, I found Steely Dan is really a staple of the era, and here's Jeff SKUNK Baxtor as well

Quiet Riot covered this SLADE original song, and made it their own, much like Metallica did with all their early influences. We owe a lot to the Protometal, protorock scene, And we shall remember them here, proper

Illousion
  • Illousion

Over the hills and far away

• The Connection

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:01 AM

Fleetwood Mac - Don't Stop

Awesome song! biggrin.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

TUSK! ^

I'd like to poll you if you were alive in the 70s, what do you remember, let's hear some stories from the Retro Gamers!

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Friday, Sep 23 2011, 08:00)
TUSK! ^

I'd like to poll you if you were alive in the 70s, what do you remember, let's hear some stories from the Retro Gamers!

Can I participate?

I couldn't find a pic, but how about the FM converter you could attach to your AM radio in the car?

Speaking of cars. How about when there was only 1 speaker that was located in the center of the dash.

I did manage to find a pic of this. It is the 8 track to cassette converter for your car stereo. Yup, my buddy had one forever.
user posted image

That paranoid feeling when driving behind a Pinto.

On a more embarrassing note; I saw ,The Osmonds, live in concert during the height of their popularity. Not by choice, my mother made me go with my sister and friends.

Spending $8 to see a concert of a popular band - sometimes 2 popular bands at the same $8 ticket.

Wondering what that weird thing with the blurry tv screen was in the corner of the pinball arcade.

That green winter jacket with the fur around the hood and the orange inside liner that ever boy had.

Sneakers were just sneakers.

Rollerskating outdoors on skates that had metal wheels, and the numbness you would feel in your legs when going straight down a hill.

Rusty Tonka trucks with sharp metal edges.

Hotwheels track whipping fights.

What where those toy cars that had a rip cord to get going and would smash into stuff and their doors and sh*t would fly off? The cars where already made to look dented and smashed up. SST or something like that.

Waiting a few years between Star Wars movies and being totally freaked out when finding out Darth Vader was Luke's father. Sure it was 1980, but close enough.

Wearing dark colored stripped pants - not to be different and wacky, but to fit in with everyone else.

Having only 2 phones in the house. One on the wall in the kitchen and one in the parent's room that plugged in with that fat 4 prong plug. And speaking of phones; Dial-a-Joke. Oh and how about being able to dial 0 and get a live operator. Oh oh oh...how about when you call your friend and it is endlessly busy, so you call the operator and ask her do an emergency break though. I never did that one, but I had a necrotic friend who used to do it to me.

The list goes on and on so I'll just leave you with some Carpenters.

Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

• Members

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:22 AM

The Carpenters depress the heck out of me for some reason.
Looking through, I haven't noticed any Eagles

Or Allman Brothers:

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:25 PM Edited by Slamman, 25 September 2011 - 10:41 PM.

I love EVERY EAGLES SONG EQUALLY, I think you guys are all deaf and dumb if you simply cannot wrap your head around how excellent they truly are

Simply, THAT'S MUSIC!

Trip, I think I had one of those cars with the plastic zip-rip cord. I remember 'em. Remember Silly String and Silly Puddy, to name a few? Ever think to buy a "Pet Rock"?? haha

I had a FM converter for AM, the late 70s Plymouth Horizon, that's where it all began for me and driving.

One of the cars I was looking to buy was a Olds Toro, 1981? It had an 8 track deck with tapes!!

Check that for your Carpenters?! ^

Wow, of course, the Man In Black is hard to argue with, but the Eagles are still the best! hahaha

Algonquin Bridge
  • Algonquin Bridge

Large, metallic bridge structure carrying cars across water.

• Members

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:37 PM

Listen to that funky muted strumming, going "chunka-chunka-chunka-chunka". Then you've got that sweet-ass bass line going on. Let's not forget those vocal harmonies, which aren't quite Stayin' Alive high, are pretty damn good!

I also have a great multitrack recording of this song; it's great to hear just the keyboard playing, or just the brothers harmonising.

Haters, proceed to hate and Jive Talk.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:56 PM Edited by Slamman, 25 September 2011 - 11:04 PM.

At about 1979, 1980, I can't be sure with my memory, so look it up! haha, Grease as a musical with 50s style back in vogue, just seemed like more of the DISCO late-70s vibe, but even after so many years, the best songs still carry, and that proves it, when you have staying-power, there's some quality to the music, even though it's hard to be a "COOL GUY" and say you dig that stuff! haha

Love the theme song, probably more so?! hahaha

Original Light
  • Original Light

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:01 PM

This song gives me butterflys...

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Sunday, Sep 25 2011, 18:25)
Trip, I think I had one of those cars with the plastic zip-rip cord. I remember 'em. Remember Silly String and Silly Puddy, to name a few? Ever think to buy a "Pet Rock"?? haha

How about the invention of plastic soda bottles? The commercial for the first 2 liter plastic bottle is still engraved in my head...all slow motion and dramatic like as the bottle fell to the floor.

SSP commercials start around 2:30 and the crash up derby ones I remember most are at 3:30(other great memories in the entire video as well)

And since this is the music forum. Have we had any Styx yet?

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:11 PM Edited by Slamman, 25 September 2011 - 11:14 PM.

Yeah, I don't want to say I was feelin' TOO damn mellow in the Swingin' 70s, but I was a kid, so for me, discovering JIMI HENDRIX was considered a big 70s discovery, and I saw a report recently that the only Coke glass bottler is here in Minnesota, a small operation that believed they are the TRUE BOTTLERS! haha

Bee Gees define an era, that's nearly a given, and the Eagles are thought of in the same reverent regard

I think even Billy Joel was SO DANG popular at the close of the 70s, he was a staple as well, and a hit maker for sure, and he's still at it!

I always think of Alice Cooper's Only Women Bleed as a similar anthem to the above ^

Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

• Members

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:27 AM

ELO, anyone?

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:23 AM Edited by Slamman, 28 September 2011 - 06:45 AM.

Has to be my favorite, since I first heard this track, and it still is amazingly Grandiose..

Jeff Lynne is someone who's well respected even outside of ELO, working with the Traveling Wilburys

Nearly forgot their most notable work, ? Did we not?
Roll Over.... Tell Tchaikovsky the News! hahaha

Hope this Berry version gives you an Eargasm

I forgot how groundbreaking this stuff really was, but it WAS!

HaydenHarman
  • HaydenHarman

Peon

• Members

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:11 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Sunday, Sep 25 2011, 22:25)
Simply, THAT'S MUSIC!

This is weird that you post this, my cousins dad(my uncle by marriage) died not too long ago and this song is dedicated to him and I believe they played it at his funeral

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:32 AM Edited by Slamman, 01 November 2011 - 05:50 AM.

My dad's friend Cal is a Don Henley Eagles and KISS fan, and I was surprised by that, my Dad and mom are not into much other then The Carpenters or old standards.
I am the eldest so I turned myself onto 70s radio and the like, I was even surprised that 10CC got onto a GTA game, that's showing some taste, ROCKSTAR

Another classic from ARS

Jackson Browne was really popular, even Stephen King used the premise of a Browne concert in his classic book Christine!

Steve Marriott of Humble Pie and Alexis Korner, who is not known well in the USA but he was there with all the big acts in Britain coming up and making the WAVE of music that changed the World, More should be known about him in this day and age

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:47 AM Edited by trip, 05 February 2012 - 03:13 AM.

Was this covered yet?

And how about some Gordon Lightfoot

Sorry if it is a repost(i didn't look) - one of my first 45s

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:05 AM Edited by Slamman, 05 February 2012 - 11:13 AM.

Ain't nuthin' 'rong with dustin' off some old LP records and stacks of 8 track tapes, my man! HELL, best music on Earth came out of this era, truly!

markwey
  • markwey

Cool Cat

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:52 PM Edited by Markwey, 05 February 2012 - 02:54 PM.

The Outlaw himself - Waylon Jennings performing "I've Always Been Crazy" live in '78 from The Lost Outlaw Performance.

And "Midnight Rider" by The Allman Brothers Band with Dickey Betts on guitar.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:59 PM Edited by Slamman, 06 February 2012 - 12:12 AM.

I don't know who performs this VERSION, but the video is a must see for you Southerners!

Which is better for you? I've always liked both, but AC DC wins

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:55 AM

Alright..look...I really try and not impose any of my GratefulDead ways around here.
Since you guys are busting out rock classics, how about some classic Dead.

Make me happy. Close your eyes and give it a listen if you aren't familiar with China Cat/I know You Rider from the Europe '72 album.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

Not a big fan myself, but I was privy to the PayPerView of Woodstock 1994, had kind of a Dead reunion there, mostly members of the Band, Levon Helm? Remember him? I was attempting to put some YouTube videos of the event on YouTube, and Skynyrd, even WAY back when I was worried they would pull my videos, and it's not for lack of trying! What will SOPA mean to peeps like us and our YouTube fetish??

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Time flies when you throw a clock.

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:43 PM

Haven't heard this song for quite a long time:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users