Photo

Gta V Vs. Saints row 3

102 replies to this topic
Old_BenKenobi
  • Old_BenKenobi

Just a crazy old man.

• Members

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:35 AM

I wouldn't, because I don't care about the story at all. As long as the missions are enjoyable the story can be as shallow as it wants to be. I'd much rather have an 8 hour campaign with 20 great missions than a 20 hour story with 50 that repeat the same scenario over and over.

Hell, I half think that Red Dead should have been made without a main narrative and instead focused on creating a world rich enough and full enough that I could create my own stories through my own actions and that takes advantage of the open world setup rather than be limited to running through a single linear storyline padded out with boring and pointless travel time. Because the existing GTA formula feels like they've taken a rather boring closed-world linear single player game with fantastic production values, chopped it into pieces and transplanted it into an entirely different game thats based around freedom and exploration.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:02 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 21 August 2010 - 10:38 AM.

QUOTE (Old_BenKenobi @ Aug 21 2010, 20:35)
I wouldn't, because I don't care about the story at all.   As long as the missions are enjoyable the story can be as shallow as it wants to be.  I'd much rather have an 8 hour campaign with 20 great missions than a 20 hour story with 50 that repeat the same scenario over and over.

Hell, I half think that Red Dead should have been made without a main narrative and instead focused on creating a world rich enough and full enough that I could create my own stories through my own actions and that takes advantage of the open world setup rather than be limited to running through a single linear storyline padded out with boring and pointless travel time.  Because the existing GTA formula feels like they've taken a rather boring closed-world linear single player game with fantastic production values, chopped it into pieces and transplanted it into an entirely different game thats based around freedom and exploration.

Well I care. IMO GTA isn't GTA without its story. If I wanted a game that has no story at all I would track down a copy of Sonic The Hedgehog, and buy another Sega Megadrive.

I grew up in the 90s playing video games, and I've simply shifted along with the industry. Too bad some people think we still live in 1995 where every video game should be like an old school arcade machine. What's boring to someone might be fun to someone else.

Just as you found GTA IV boring I found Saints Row/Saints Row 2 boring aswell. Saints Row does absolutely nothing we haven't seen before. The sad thing is probably the most unique feature the Saints Row series has ever implemented has been streaking, flashing etc.

I've never understood why the Saints Row series is held above Scarface, The Godfather, Mafia etc. All those games have done more for the genre than Saints Row ever will.

Old_BenKenobi
  • Old_BenKenobi

Just a crazy old man.

• Members

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:35 AM

Saints Row 1 didn't make much of a splash but Saints Row 2 did and I think thats because when SR2 was released GTA IV had just come out with this new direction and there were many GTA fans (myself included) not interested in that at all. SR2 feels like (and was marketed as) a throwback. It fills a niche that had just been emptied. When SR1 came out San Andreas wasn't even two years old and was still fresh. Why play Saints Row when you can still play San Andreas? When SR2 came out it was a different time and it just so happens to fit in at the right time. Saints Row does nothing new but that is a big reason for its success.

The Saints Row series has its own upsides, like the in-depth customization available and not moving like you're wearing cement shoes, but ultimately I think the series only succeeds because GTA has moved away from what SR is doing. If GTA went back to that style then I think SR would go back to being "that game".

As for why Scarface, The Godfather and Mafia don't fare as well compared to SR2 with the masses, I can't speak for the first two (in other words I agree with you) but for Mafia, the PS2 and XBOX port (aka the only exposure console gamers got) blew balls, and console gamers are a biiiig chunk of the market.

Going back to the focus on story in games, I think the industry is going in the wrong direction. While the presence of some sort of story is important in many types of games (I recognize and respect that) I don't think it should be as big a focus as it is currently. I mean, I hear developers brag stuff like having an hour and a half of cutscenes in games and I think "Why are people celebrating this? The more cutscenes there are the less time you're in control!" And especially when open world is as big of a trend as it is now. Any prewritten story limits where the game can be taken and these limitations are put on the player, and I think this is the exact opposite of what should be present in an open-world game.

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:51 AM Edited by The-King, 21 August 2010 - 11:53 AM.

A game's supposed to be an interactive movie (unless it's story blows balls like Call Of Duty), a modern game that doesn't fill that role should be for all intents and purposes considered a failure (with a few exceptions). If you can't play a game and feel like you know your characters than what's the point? Kane and Lynch does that very well, the gameplay's always been a bit shoddy, but the story to go along with that made the games well worth playing in their entirety. I love playing a game where I can see a character and feel some emotion other than "that's a cool block of pixels, I wonder what it does for/to me." In Fable I legitimately felt bad because I chose to kill Whisper on my first playthrough, because the game connected my character and by extension me intrinsically to her. A game without a well done narrative might as well not even be produced.

What's the point in playing an emotionless pile of random events which eventually lead up to a sense of accomplishment for having completed your desired set of events which gave you the result you hoped for without a narrative driving those events along?

xbox360kris
  • xbox360kris

Taxi driver, Civilian, Police officer

• Members

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:41 PM

gta = realism
sr= total madness(?)

also saints row has sh*tty handling for the vehicles.
but it has a lot more options.. like pimpin your car n stuff
erm...

i prefer gta

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Zaibatsu

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:03 PM

Although I did had fun in Saints Row 2, GTA IV was so much better.

I was born a GTA fan and will die as a GTA fan. GTA IV was such a masterpiece for me due to it's awesome atmosphere of the city. The episodes made it even better with The Lost and Damned being my favourite story out of the three stories. I play games mainly for the stories as it gives me a purpose for killing somebody.

While in Saints Row 2, its mindless stupid fun. But I rather have my character to have a motivation to kill somebody instead of going all out guns blazing. Plus, I hate the cartoony look of the game.

Then there's always Red Dead Redemption and the upcoming Mafia 2.

Red Dead Redemption is now my favourite video game story of all time. I love the western feel of the game and John Marshton is the biggest badass who ever lived. I would actually picked up a new Red Dead over a new GTA and SR anyday biggrin.gif .

Mafia 2 will have a superb story for sure and I will definitely picked it up someday.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:53 PM

SR's storyline is sorry. It embodies every "gangsta" videogame and movie cliche. It tries too hard to be funny (Freckle Bitches....Yawn) and in my opinion, this game is practically for video games what Scary Movie 3, and Vampires Suck is for movies.

Gantons Most Wanted
  • Gantons Most Wanted

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (Linki @ Aug 21 2010, 00:14)
QUOTE (Gantons Most Wanted @ Aug 20 2010, 22:01)
I know its GTAForums and the majority are gonna side with GTA and "how awesome the graphics are" but seriously the game was seriously lacking and extremely overhyped.
Some of the new gameplay features were good like being able to call up your friends to buy guns and stuff like that but once the games done your left with no replay value.
As for going for 100% I've always found at times with GTA some of the requirements are just a complete ball ache such as the import exports because sometimes you can't find the vehicles at all.
With Saints Row 2 I picked up on boxing day a year ago at first i was hesitant but what it might have lacked story wise it made up for with the missions and side tasks a long with all the customisation. Plus the amount of rewards for doing the side tasks makes it worth while to try get 100% completion.
The game may not fair well graphically but to be honest it may be a GTA clone but at least its not got caught up with the primary focus on how the game looks and making it realistic.
Overall for me the gameplay is whats most important and obviously the story but in Saints Row 2 it may have lacked story but the gameplay was epic and fun in co-op.

Yep, gameplay is most important. That's another reason why GTA 4 is better.

SR2 favours repetitive gimmicks over core gameplay. The gunplay is terrible and it doesn't help that the AI doesn't work. Driving is unrewarding and every car feels the same except for the speed of cars. Floaty character movement, like he/she is wearing hover-boots.

GTA 4 has no replay value? Hahaha, no. I've spent over 300 hours on single player alone, discounting my time on my PS3 version. I don't understand how that says GTA 4 has no replay value, because 300+ hours on one game tells the complete opposite.

GTA 4 is the best open world game yet (I prefer it to RDR too).

Well i guess its down to personal opinions but honestly 4 did put me off the series some what. A lot of people i know from college and where I work bought the game on the release date and overall many of them got so bored with the storyline around not even half way. Now I know its been an iconic series to date but honestly i don't check for the new GTA stuff unless they make V extremely well and sort out the driving system i get the having certain aspects to be realistic but seriously its a f*cking game if you want a life simulation play sims.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:23 PM Edited by Miamivicecity, 21 August 2010 - 11:40 PM.

QUOTE (Old_BenKenobi @ Aug 21 2010, 22:35)
The Saints Row series has its own upsides, like the in-depth customization available and not moving like you're wearing cement shoes, but ultimately I think the series only succeeds because GTA has moved away from what SR is doing.  If GTA went back to that style then I think SR would go back to being "that game".

Which is why I said a couple of pages back that the only reason the Saints Row series is popular, because alot of people weren't happy with GTA IV.

Hypothetically speaking if GTA IV was more like SA, with GTA IV's graphics, physics, plus all of what made SA so great would many people really care about Saints Row?

ryuclan- Yeah I agree. The humour in both games is really, really weak IMO. The kind of humour most teenagers would find funny.

Even worse still was how in Saint Row 2's story they tried to make an emotional moment when Carlos was killed.

Good call on the comparison to those movies too. GTA is more like the old school spoof films like Blazing Saddles, The Naked Gun, Airplane, Spy Hard etc that could be funny without being too overboard.

Saints Row tries to be funny, but it simply isn't IMO. Kind of like Disaster Movie.

Gantons Most Wanted- No one wants GTA to be a life simulator ffs. GTA IV contrary to popular belief was by no means "realistic". Logical? Yes, but as realistic as people tend to exaggerate? No.

What was wrong with the driving? Each vehicle felt unique in they handled which was something the last gen GTAs severly lacked.

The driving in GTA IV is fine. Nothing needs to be fixed. Driving in Saints Row though is a painstaking process. There's no sense of speed at all. Even the rusty pieces of sh*t in GTA IV had a greater sense of speed than all of the sports cars in Saints Row/Saints Row 2.

Rockworm
  • Rockworm

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:29 PM

good analogy guys those new parady movies are not funny and neither was SR 2.
I will admit there were some cool stuff in there. Some action cut scenes that kept me entertained. And the missions themselves were fun. But as soon as it was over I was already moving on.
Meanwhile I still have loads of fun popping in GTA IV doing absolutely nothing.

3minty3
  • 3minty3

Are you watching closely?

• Members

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE (Gantons Most Wanted @ Aug 21 2010, 23:04)
and sort out the driving system i get the having certain aspects to be realistic but seriously its a f*cking game if you want a life simulation play sims.

Personally they nailed the driving aspect. The mechanics made it much more rewarding to do stunts or speed round a corner. Also each car felt unique and was easily distinguishable from others in terms of handling. Whereas the driving in saints row was very tedious and I personally didn't enjoy it.

Rockworm
  • Rockworm

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:38 PM

UGH don't get me started with SR2's driving... some of the worst i've experienced in a game.. I don't get how anyone can enjoy that.
people complaining about GTA IV's so called "bad" driving are insane especially if we're comparing these 2 games where one has fun driving and the other has driving so terrible it almost made the game unplayable.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE (Rockworm @ Aug 22 2010, 10:38)
UGH don't get me started with SR2's driving... some of the worst i've experienced in a game.. I don't get how anyone can enjoy that.
people complaining about GTA IV's so called "bad" driving are insane especially if we're comparing these 2 games where one has fun driving and the other has driving so terrible it almost made the game unplayable.

People will typically complain about something being bad when they're bad at it themselves.

Linki
  • Linki

Neonic

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:25 AM

Those last five posts are the truth.

Also, I don't want GTA to be a life simulation, I just appreciate 4s attention to detail that makes it such an immersive experience. Making LC feel like the real world should be celebrated, not discouraged.

The reason why people were disappointed in 4 was because they were expecting it to be something it wasn't trying to be in the first place. I read the previews so I knew what I was expecting from 4, turns out GTA "fans" who only played SA were expecting SA 2.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE (Linki @ Aug 22 2010, 11:25)
Those last five posts are the truth.

Also, I don't want GTA to be a life simulation, I just appreciate 4s attention to detail that makes it such an immersive experience. Making LC feel like the real world should be celebrated, not discouraged.

The reason why people were disappointed in 4 was because they were expecting it to be something it wasn't trying to be in the first place. I read the previews so I knew what I was expecting from 4, turns out GTA "fans" who only played SA were expecting SA 2.

I also remember many pre-release articles where R* said that it wasn't going to be like SA. One of things I really admire about R* with the development of GTA IV is they step outside of their comfort zone.

Instead of sticking with what worked previously they went into territory GTA had never been in. A more story driven, down to earth GTA. Obviously it hasn't sat well everyone, but that's apart of being human. Learning by your mistakes. GTA IV definitely wasn't a mistake, but now they can evaluate the stuff people didn't like, and it's already evident with games like TBOGT, and RDR.

If the world just stuck what used to work we would still be neanderthals creating fires with sticks, and rocks, and in the case of the video game industry we would still be playing Tertris. R* took a gamble with GTA IV, and I would say it's split the community as alot of people love the new approach it took as much as those who don't.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:13 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Aug 21 2010, 23:43)
QUOTE (Rockworm @ Aug 22 2010, 10:38)

People will typically complain about something being bad when they're bad at it themselves.

GTA's driving did take some getting used to but I loved it afterwards. The cars actually have weight and it takes a little skill to get it done the way you want.

SR's driving is too blocky for me and I don't really enjoy it too much.

qua236
  • qua236

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:46 AM

SAINTS ROW 3 IT SHOWS MORE OF A SAN ANDREAS TYPE STYLE, GRAPHICS ARE BETTER AND WHEN YOU KILL SOMEBODY WHEN THE COPS ARENT AROUND THEY DONT MESS WITH YOU UNLESS THE GUN IS OUT OR IF SOMEBODY TELLS
IF GTA V IS AS BORING AS IV WAS I WONT BUY IT I LIKE ROLLING OUT WITH MY CREW I MISS THE OLD TANKS EVER SINCE SAN ANDREAS GTA IS TAKING STEPS BACK AND SAINTS ROW IS STEPPING UP

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

Relevant jorts intensify.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:02 AM

QUOTE (qua236 @ Tuesday, Aug 16 2011, 19:46)
SAINTS ROW 3 IT SHOWS MORE OF A SAN ANDREAS TYPE STYLE, GRAPHICS ARE BETTER AND WHEN YOU KILL SOMEBODY WHEN THE COPS ARENT AROUND THEY DONT MESS WITH YOU UNLESS THE GUN IS OUT OR IF SOMEBODY TELLS
IF GTA V IS AS BORING AS IV WAS I WONT BUY IT I LIKE ROLLING OUT WITH MY CREW I MISS THE OLD TANKS EVER SINCE SAN ANDREAS GTA IS TAKING STEPS BACK AND SAINTS ROW IS STEPPING UP

Please break your caps-lock and/or fingers. icon14.gif

dov3434
  • dov3434

Gooner

• D1RTY12
  • Commonwealth

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:37 AM

I'd prefer he did both, and get his eyes tested to be honest lol.gif .

Comparing this two games to begin with is just stupid. The similarities end quickly, it's like comparing Fallout 3/New Vegas with Borderlands, they just play completely different. As Mr caps lock up there said Saints Row has clearly been geared towards the San Andreas style, though the third installment is just about being OTT and silly and ridiculous. I don't see how you can compare a game where you can suck people up and shoot them out of a cannon mounted on the back of a truck while dressed like a pirate or a ninja to a game like GTA IV which clearly has a much more serious narrative, and I doubt they'll change that with GTA V. That may or may not make much sense, just trying to give an example lol.gif .

Point is, why can't people just like both and stop acting like they're in direct competition when they're clearly so much different.

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:46 AM

QUOTE (dov3434 @ Wednesday, Aug 17 2011, 02:37)
Comparing this two games to begin with is just stupid.

Okay, I've already said what I'm about to say many times but whatever.

They're perfectly comparable. They're both openworld crime game based in a city. Now, the rest of their content isn't entirely the same or is very different but that leads onto my next point; if they were exactly the same, what would be the point in comparing?
We compare and contrast to see what makes them both the same and different.
Comparing them isn't stupid on it's own, but I think with GTA and SR it's been done enough already.

dov3434
  • dov3434

Gooner

• D1RTY12
  • Commonwealth

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:11 AM

Fair point, well made there smile.gif . I guess I'm sick of seeing these two compared all the time lol. I guess it's not really the comparing part that's stupid, as you say it would be pointless if they were identical.

What I do find stupid is when people whine and complain about one or the other when they've missed the point. Like that all caps post up there, GTA has gone for a more serious approach. I guess what I find stupid is when people say one is just out and out better than the other just because they prefer the style of one game over the other, everyone has their own opinion. I personally prefer GTA IV's style, doesn't mean that SR sucks, I happen to like both in fact.

Basically yeah I'd say your right, and that with GTA and SR it's just been done too much. I can't even talk about SR to anybody without GTA being mentioned lol.

Dabai Namona
  • Dabai Namona

Hiri Hanenamo

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:28 AM Edited by Dabai Namona, 17 August 2011 - 04:36 AM.

I believe GTA V will suck balls if R* continue the same theme and style as GTA IV. SR3 will kick its ass for sure. For having such a long delay in releasing GTA V, it is pretty obvious they are ran out of ideas in improving GTA hence they are spending more time on games like RDR, Agent, Max Payne 3 and LA Noire. I would have to say SR3 will become the new open-world crime game king. GTA is finished IMO.

Tuff Luv Capo
  • Tuff Luv Capo

We must find Ansama Benlanden

• Members

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:52 AM

I hate saints row but whoever said GTAIV takes themselves too seriously is kind of right. I'm all about realism, but taking forever to get in and out of your car or change direction on foot is like watching paint dry when you're just trying to play around online.

Dingleman
  • Dingleman

SA:LC Mod Leader

• Members

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:05 AM

I'll just save up for both.. when I crave mindless destruction and childish humor, Saints Row all the way. When I want some more realistic chaos, a good story and puns at media, GTA. It's like saying I enjoy watching both The Simpsons and South Park, they fall under the same category but they are VERY different in terms of what they intend to deliver.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:08 AM

QUOTE (dingleman @ Wednesday, Aug 17 2011, 06:05)
I'll just save up for both.. when I crave mindless destruction and childish humor, Saints Row all the way. When I want some more realistic chaos, a good story and puns at media, GTA. It's like saying I enjoy watching both The Simpsons and South Park, they fall under the same category but they are VERY different in terms of what they intend to deliver.

Which one's The Simpsons?

Dymez
  • Dymez

West Coast

• Members

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:50 AM

I prefer Grand Theft Auto over Saints Row. However, I like both series and although Saints Row 2 took a step back (graphically and physics wise) from its predecessor, I will still be getting Saints Row: The Third come November; they took a major leap forward from all the footage I have seen and features they have spoken about. Both games are very much comparable in every right, hence they are in the same exact genre.

There is nothing wrong with liking both games; there is nothing wrong with liking one over the other. I think it's stupid to say a video game "sucks" when it's all about preference. Buy and play what you like, not what someone else tells you to. I'll be in GameStop, at opening time, on the day of release for both games.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE (Dabai Namona @ Wednesday, Aug 17 2011, 15:28)
it is pretty obvious they are ran out of ideas in improving GTA hence they are spending more time on games like RDR, Agent, Max Payne 3 and LA Noire.

You have evidence to back up this assumption that they're running out of ideas for GTA?

Out of all those games only one is being developed and published by R* North and that's Agent. R* North have been the R* studio primarily in charge of the core GTA games since the beginning.

LA Noire technically isn't a R* game. R* helped, but it's in fact a Team Bondi game.

RDR was a joint production between R* North and R* San Diego.

Max Payne 3 is being developed by R* Vancover.

Agent is the only game other than GTA V of course R* North are working on 100%. Maybe GTA V might be following the old "saving the best until last" saying? Who knows.

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:39 AM

Well as we know nothing of GTA V yet this is kind of hard to answer, i think just because they are both sandbox style games doesn't necessarily mean they can be easily compared anyway. I dont think IV vs Saints row 2 was a fair comparison so i dont see why this should be any different.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE (tms_junk @ Wednesday, Aug 17 2011, 11:39)
Well as we know nothing of GTA V yet this is kind of hard to answer, i think just because they are both sandbox style games doesn't necessarily mean they can be easily compared anyway. I dont think IV vs Saints row 2 was a fair comparison so i dont see why this should be any different.

You're a f*ckin' idiot you know that.
You can compare any two games by the amount of fun you have playing them. So basically you can compare CoD with GTA if you want. Just by saying which one is more fun to you, you will make a comparison.
What's up with you idiots thinking that you can't compare two things unless they are COMPLETELY THE SAME?! How the f*ck can you compare something if it's the same? The whole idea is to compare two different things. And you can use various criteria to make a comparison. In case of GTA and Saints Row you can compare them any way you want because they're both video games and they are in the same f*ckin' genre!

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Wednesday, Aug 17 2011, 09:55)
QUOTE (tms_junk @ Wednesday, Aug 17 2011, 11:39)

You're a f*ckin' idiot you know that.
You can compare any two games by the amount of fun you have playing them. So basically you can compare CoD with GTA if you want. Just by saying which one is more fun to you, you will make a comparison.
What's up with you idiots thinking that you can't compare two things unless they are COMPLETELY THE SAME?! How the f*ck can you compare something if it's the same? The whole idea is to compare two different things. And you can use various criteria to make a comparison. In case of GTA and Saints Row you can compare them any way you want because they're both video games and they are in the same f*ckin' genre!

Just thought id let you know that your so cool how much you swear in your posts icon14.gif

And secondly, its my opinion that they cant really be compared fairly, did i ask you to like it? No.
Do i care if you like it? No.

Thats my opinion and thats why i posted it, i must of missed the bit when your opinions and ideas are more of worth then anyone else's?

And if you look i said they cant be compared fairly, not that they cant be compared at all.

And as you like swearing so much here's a free gift, your a c*nt.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users