Photo

Gta V Vs. Saints row 3

102 replies to this topic
ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

Sure SR is a fun franchise but it really gets stagnant very quickly. I played the entire game again in Co-op for the achievements and I never once cared about story or the characers. There's no charcter depth, no plausible story, and no reason for me to care about what's going on beisides getting my achievements.Yes I got bored with GTA IV for another reason. There wasn't enough. Not enough interesting things to do in the between time, not enough weapons, not enough variety in missions.

In the end I play both but there's a place in my heart where GTA will always be and SR will always be in my pile of games.

IVSA_Guy
  • IVSA_Guy

Street Cat

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:47 PM

I have seen the SR video's and I must say, it sucks apesh*t.

Conal123
  • Conal123

The Irish Brigade

• Members

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:49 PM

Gta is in a keague of its own!simple

Evj
  • Evj

Оптик

• Members

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (IVSA_Guy @ Aug 17 2010, 21:47)
I have seen the SR video's and I must say, it sucks apesh*t.

Dude if you think it sucks because of the videos, then you have to play it. wink.gif

Linki
  • Linki

Neonic

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:38 AM

QUOTE (DneroJohnson @ Aug 17 2010, 21:07)
Both are good in their own ways, nuff' said.

In terms of gameplay, SR > GTA. Why? Because SR focus on one thing, HALF-ASSED FEATURES. That's the most important thing in a f*cking GAME. Although I still prefer GTA than SR smile.gif

Fixed.

Rockworm
  • Rockworm

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:59 AM

jumping out of a plane and landing on my feet was the silliest thing ever... I'm like wtf imagine not getting hurt after jumping out of the copter and just landing on the street like willy nilly... welcome to saints row the strangest f*ck you to reality i've ever played.

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

Cleaning the Trash since '94

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:04 AM

QUOTE (Rockworm @ Aug 17 2010, 19:59)
jumping out of a plane and landing on my feet was the silliest thing ever... I'm like wtf imagine not getting hurt after jumping out of the copter and just landing on the street like willy nilly... welcome to saints row the strangest f*ck you to reality i've ever played.

This was one of the funniest video game related post Iíve heard in a while good one. icon14.gif

No but in all seriousness this post is true.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Godfather

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:15 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 18 August 2010 - 05:30 AM.

QUOTE (DneroJohnson @ Aug 18 2010, 08:07)
Both are good in their own ways, nuff' said.

In terms of gameplay, SR > GTA. Why? Because SR focus on one thing, FUN. That's the most important thing in a f*cking GAME. Although I still prefer GTA than SR† smile.gif

Are you saying GTA doesn't focus on fun? I had tons more fun playing GTA III, VC, SA, and GTA IV than both Saints Row games.

IMO the so called "fun" in Saints Row/Saints Row 2 is very temporary. They give off the impression that there's a ton of things to do, but not really. Take the activities for example.

At first glance you're like "wow look at all the activities I can do", but it's only because most are repeated at several locations throughout the city. If you broke down each activity to one activity type there's just as much, maybe less than there is in GTA 4.

Just Cause 2 does this aswell with its settlements. There's 360+ of them to complete, but most are repeated over, and over. You're not really doing a heap of things, you're mainly doing the same thing at different locations without realizing it.

Anyway I can start up a new save of VC, or SA, and play them for hours, and hours. Same with GTA IV. GTA III is a bit hard to get into these days, but honestly even the old, faithful GTA III has elements to it that I would rather than the Saints Row games.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:28 AM Edited by GTAvanja, 17 August 2011 - 09:57 AM.

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Aug 18 2010, 07:15)
IMO the so called "fun" in Saints Row/Saints Row 2 is very temporary. They give off the impression that there's a ton of things to do, but not really. Take the activities for example.

At first glance you're like "wow look at all the activities I can do", but it's only because most are repeated at several locations throughout the city. If you broke down each activity to one activity type there's just as much, maybe less than there is in GTA 4.

Just Cause 2 does this aswell with its settlements. There's 360+ of them to complete, but most are repeated over, and over. You're not really doing a heap of things, you're mainly doing the same thing at different locations without realizing it.

Anyway I can start up a new save of VC, or SA, and play them for hours, and hours. Same with GTA IV. GTA III is a bit hard to get into these days, but honestly even the old, faithful GTA III has elements to it that I would rather than the Saints Row games.

In GTA4 there are no activities except take your buddies to a strip club ans sh*t like that. So even if activities are repetative it's better to have them. Even without all those extra activities there is more to do in SR2 than in GTA4.

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:32 PM

gta v better not be like that coke Ad

Nativedeem
  • Nativedeem

Thug

• Members

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (MagnAn @ Aug 17 2010, 17:08)
Mafia 2.

Seriously, I think Saints Row has always been somewhat of a weak GTA clone.
And I don't mind GTA clones at all, if they are at least done well.

In my opinion GTA is for video games what The Simpsons is for TV shows.
Both mock society in a subtle jet recognizable way.
Saints Row has never come any farther than sex or excrement jokes.

mafia 2 isnt a sandbox game. You cant compare it with gta or sr.

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Australia

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:05 AM

Rofl. Look at this. 70 pages of dissing GTA.

LuisBellic
  • LuisBellic

8 Balls

• Members

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:11 AM

i love both gta and sr im gonna get both

Linki
  • Linki

Neonic

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Aug 18 2010, 09:28)
QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Aug 18 2010, 07:15)

In GTA4 there are no activities except take your buddies to a strip club ans sh*t like that. So even if activities are repetative it's better to have them. Even without all those extra activities there is more to do in SR2 than in GTA4.

As for Just Cause 2 you really can't compare it GTA or SR/SR2. Just Cause focuses on blowing stuff up in a huge open world. And Just Cause 2 does a great job doing that. I have over 60h on Just Cause 2 and I'm still not bored of it and I played GTA4's storyline and uninstalled it right after that. Even playing through the story was tedious.

No, just no.

Do you play GTA just for the minigames? Nope, you play the actual game. And GTA 4 beats SR easily in that department.

Rockworm
  • Rockworm

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:15 AM

people who say theres not enough to do in GTA 4 have no imagination. I find stuff to do by making it myself. Starting a chase with the cops, trying to do crazy jumps where it wouldn't look so obvious... trying to find new and creative ways to get on a hard to reach spot.... hell i find just exploring the city fun as hell.
meanwhile I had got bored of saints row 2 before I even done everything the game gave me. Its a point where more doesn't always mean better.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:29 PM

Jesus christ. Who cares, they are both totally separate games with separate goals.

Gta needs to fix this stupid ass " not allowed to run unless you hold a button " sh*te, we all know how to walk, hold the stick slightly, we learnt that as a child, rockstar. Also NO MORE AUTO AIM FOR f*ck SAKE.

Saints row is designed for full map co-op in ANY part of the singleplayer game, and doesnt take itself seriously, because why would you? You dont play GTA and act like a civilian and walk around and drive according to the traffic lights. You want to punch peds in the face, for a laugh, and thats exactly what saints row gives you. It obviously isnt for realism, because its a video game, its designed for fun, and fun with a friend in co-op, to laugh your head off as you throw a ped into a basketball net. Its all about freedom, and the whole game is your playground to mess with, I think all that game needs is an improved engine with revised driving and it be ace.

Proud Fool
  • Proud Fool

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:50 PM

^ I wish people would get that into their thick skulls, they don't get that SR is TRYING to be unrealistic, you know, like a game...

Evj
  • Evj

Оптик

• Members

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (Proud Fool @ Aug 19 2010, 17:50)
^ I wish people would get that into their thick skulls, they don't get that SR is TRYING to be unrealistic, you know, like a game...

Yeah but a game can be unrealistic and makes fun like Just Cause 2...

Rockworm
  • Rockworm

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:59 PM

lol some people seem to think that realism in a game automatically = bad... i'm all for mindless fun but imagine the mindless sh*t you can pull off in SR being in a game like Fallout or Batman Arkham Asylum... the game would be considered crap.
Mindless reality bending is all fine but it isn't meant for every game and I for one think GTA benefits from being more realistic.

IceWolf729
  • IceWolf729

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:50 PM Edited by IceWolf729, 19 August 2010 - 09:54 PM.

It's really simple. I played GTA since Vice City (completed IV and EFLC 100%, Vice City and San Andreas only 98% cryani.gif ) and I also played SR2 (completed it 100 %), both on PC.
If both are released on the PC, I will get both. I will install them both on my HDD and I'm sure they won't argue with each other turn.gif . I will have them nicely alongside Mafia 2 and Bully Scholarsip Edition, in complete harmony smile.gif .

Autopilot
  • Autopilot

Broke

• Members
  • Iceland

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:16 PM

I've always preferred the GTA's over any other sandbox game. At first glance however I found IV to be somewhat dull which turned me on to SR2 for only a few hours. That is seriously how long it took me to realize just how average it is.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:03 AM

QUOTE (Rockworm @ Aug 19 2010, 22:59)
lol some people seem to think that realism in a game automatically = bad...

There is only one game that did realism right that had free roaming elements and that game is Mafia 1.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:47 AM Edited by ryuclan, 20 August 2010 - 01:53 AM.

QUOTE (Piperka @ Aug 19 2010, 00:05)

Did that guy say SR2 had better graphics than GTAIV. The f*ck?

Nevermind, that guy is a tester and obviously an imbecile. I used to post in that forum like a week before SR2's release and honestly I can't stand the people there. The mods are all Volition employees and the average poster can't help placing their mouths upon the employees dicks. Not saying the same wouldn't happen here given a few R* employees made themselves known here, but damn, those people really should hop off.

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

Cleaning the Trash since '94

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:50 AM

QUOTE (Piperka @ Aug 18 2010, 17:05)

Haha this is almost as good as those links some one posted in gen chat to a website abut how the earth is flat, wow that guy is the definition of a fan boy(s).

Gantons Most Wanted
  • Gantons Most Wanted

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:01 PM

I know its GTAForums and the majority are gonna side with GTA and "how awesome the graphics are" but seriously the game was seriously lacking and extremely overhyped.
Some of the new gameplay features were good like being able to call up your friends to buy guns and stuff like that but once the games done your left with no replay value.
As for going for 100% I've always found at times with GTA some of the requirements are just a complete ball ache such as the import exports because sometimes you can't find the vehicles at all.
With Saints Row 2 I picked up on boxing day a year ago at first i was hesitant but what it might have lacked story wise it made up for with the missions and side tasks a long with all the customisation. Plus the amount of rewards for doing the side tasks makes it worth while to try get 100% completion.
The game may not fair well graphically but to be honest it may be a GTA clone but at least its not got caught up with the primary focus on how the game looks and making it realistic.
Overall for me the gameplay is whats most important and obviously the story but in Saints Row 2 it may have lacked story but the gameplay was epic and fun in co-op.

Linki
  • Linki

Neonic

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE (Gantons Most Wanted @ Aug 20 2010, 22:01)
I know its GTAForums and the majority are gonna side with GTA and "how awesome the graphics are" but seriously the game was seriously lacking and extremely overhyped.
Some of the new gameplay features were good like being able to call up your friends to buy guns and stuff like that but once the games done your left with no replay value.
As for going for 100% I've always found at times with GTA some of the requirements are just a complete ball ache such as the import exports because sometimes you can't find the vehicles at all.
With Saints Row 2 I picked up on boxing day a year ago at first i was hesitant but what it might have lacked story wise it made up for with the missions and side tasks a long with all the customisation. Plus the amount of rewards for doing the side tasks makes it worth while to try get 100% completion.
The game may not fair well graphically but to be honest it may be a GTA clone but at least its not got caught up with the primary focus on how the game looks and making it realistic.
Overall for me the gameplay is whats most important and obviously the story but in Saints Row 2 it may have lacked story but the gameplay was epic and fun in co-op.

Yep, gameplay is most important. That's another reason why GTA 4 is better.

SR2 favours repetitive gimmicks over core gameplay. The gunplay is terrible and it doesn't help that the AI doesn't work. Driving is unrewarding and every car feels the same except for the speed of cars. Floaty character movement, like he/she is wearing hover-boots.

GTA 4 has no replay value? Hahaha, no. I've spent over 300 hours on single player alone, discounting my time on my PS3 version. I don't understand how that says GTA 4 has no replay value, because 300+ hours on one game tells the complete opposite.

GTA 4 is the best open world game yet (I prefer it to RDR too).

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Godfather

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:27 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 21 August 2010 - 01:39 AM.

QUOTE (Piperka @ Aug 19 2010, 11:05)

I have an account on that forum, but I haven't posted in a while. I joined just after SR2 came out, but honestly most of them are illiterate imbeciles.

Linki- I'm glad someone can see the light. Saints Row is quantity over quality, and always will be. GTA IV might not have as much in it, but as a base to build upon it's superior to Saints Row/Saints Row 2 in every way possible.

I think some people get mixed up between what defines gameplay. To me great gameplay doesn't mean a heap of features mashed together. There should be an even flow between the core of the game, and the features that are implemented which IMO both Saints Row games don't have.

This is why the GTA series has been so successful over the years. Even SA as much as it had in it still had a good balance between its core, and the features it had.

Anyway if this makes me a GTA fanboy, so be it. I gave both games a fair go, and they didn't do anything for me. There are way better sandbox games on the market that deserve to be on the mantle piece along with GTA. Unfortunately they never see the light of day, because they're not "gangsta" like the Saints Row games are. confused.gif

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:54 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Aug 21 2010, 01:27)
because they're not "gangsta" like the Saints Row games are. confused.gif

LMAO!

Saints Row isn't "gangsta" whatsoever. Yes there are gangs, but honestly look at the people in them. None of those people are slightly intimidating, except the small few. It was just extremely unbelievable and full of fluff. Fun fluff, but fluff nonetheless. R* said that GTAIV was going to be to this gen what GTAIII was to the last gen, and honestly I think it achieved that. It was barebones and back to basics but it's just a foundation for the next gta and the next.

Old_BenKenobi
  • Old_BenKenobi

Just a crazy old man.

• Members

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:10 AM

I can't say which will be better since theres no info on either of them. I'm anticipating what Rockstar's going to do with GTA V a lot more than what Volition are gonna do for SR3 but only because I'm hoping Rockstar actually makes GTA fun this time around. I hated GTA IV and loved SR2 and based on that I'm leaning towards SR3 but I'm watching Rockstar to see what they do because they need to do something to breathe life into a franchise thats starting to get stale. It seems Rockstar is going backwards, focusing on having a sweeping dramatic story and uber-cinematic cutscenes more than on making the actual goddamn game fun. Hey Rockstar, if I want to watch a movie I'll watch a f*cking movie, I won't play 40 missions all consisting of a rehashed "drive here, shoot these guys and escape cops" formula just to hear your dialog and experience your story.

Red Dead's gameplay was definitely a step in the right direction and I hope GTA V takes cues from that but I hope they shed the archaic leftovers that game inherited from GTA IV.

Only time will tell.

Rockworm
  • Rockworm

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE (Old_BenKenobi @ Aug 21 2010, 04:10)
I can't say which will be better since theres no info on either of them. I'm anticipating what Rockstar's going to do with GTA V a lot more than what Volition are gonna do for SR3 but only because I'm hoping Rockstar actually makes GTA fun this time around. I hated GTA IV and loved SR2 and based on that I'm leaning towards SR3 but I'm watching Rockstar to see what they do because they need to do something to breathe life into a franchise thats starting to get stale. It seems Rockstar is going backwards, focusing on having a sweeping dramatic story and uber-cinematic cutscenes more than on making the actual goddamn game fun. Hey Rockstar, if I want to watch a movie I'll watch a f*cking movie, I won't play 40 missions all consisting of a rehashed "drive here, shoot these guys and escape cops" formula just to hear your dialog and experience your story.

Red Dead's gameplay was definitely a step in the right direction and I hope GTA V takes cues from that but I hope they shed the archaic leftovers that game inherited from GTA IV.

Only time will tell.

people like this probably would complain that the story was too short sarcasm.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users