Photo

A Very Sad Thing Is Happening With My GTA

15 replies to this topic
cidamelo
  • cidamelo

RIP Amy WINEHOUSE!GRANT RODIEK is back to the EA GAMES!&

• Members

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:14 PM

Hi friends, I never had problems with GTA III (it was the only GTA I never had problems), but now a problem is occuring with my GTA. Sometimes, I can't alt-tab or return to the desktop by pressing "WINDOWS", when I try to do it, the game freezes. I've tried to delete GTA3.set, I've tried to run it in compatibility mode, but it never worked. I don't know what I can do anymore. sad.gif Maybe it was because, before I installed the game, I already had the "GTA 3 User Files" paste? My Windows Is WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL SERVICE PACK 3. Please help me sad.gif

AlfieWilRus
  • AlfieWilRus

I don't know what this is

• Members

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:48 AM

Hmm, I've had a problem similar to this. Ok, try uninstalling the game and then reisntalling. That is what I did.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:40 AM

Try running the game in 98 compatibility mode, and everything should be fine-this is a known bug with XP SP3 and Vista.

Remember to delete the .set file in the User Files Folder in My Documents.

Also, I don't know about XP, but on Vista, after you select the 98 compatibilty mode, the User Files Folder might move to the Public folder.?

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

• Members

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:16 PM

radioman I tried to run GTA III in compatibility mode with Windows 98 but they say to me insert the disk sad.gif I deleted the SET file and nothing worked. I'll reinstall the game.

twannie1997
  • twannie1997

Thug

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:55 PM Edited by twannie1997, 17 August 2010 - 05:59 PM.

radioman is right, its in /Users/Public in 98 compatibility mode, very wierd wow.gif

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

• Members

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:51 PM

twannie1997 but my problem isn't with the save files. My problem with Windows 98 Compatibility mode is that it doesn't recognize the cd!!

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

• Members

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

I reinstalled the game and the problem continues. sad.gif

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (cidamelo @ Aug 17 2010, 22:54)
I reinstalled the game and the problem continues. sad.gif

Here comes the question - Is your game legal?

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:31 AM

QUOTE (cidamelo @ Aug 17 2010, 15:51)
twannie1997 but my problem isn't with the save files. My problem with Windows 98 Compatibility mode is that it doesn't recognize the cd!!

I had that happen with SA and VC on my old Vista Basic PC I used to have-in 98 comptibilty mode, it would not recognoze the disc-but it did recoginze the disc in XP compatibilty mode and w/out compatibilty mode.(But one won't really help since you're on XP).

However, are you using any "No-CD cracks? Also, Have you tried updating the drivers for your Video Card, Sound card, and DX? Have you tried updating to DX 12?-that one tends to work great on Windows 7, so it might work on XP.? Have you tried the V1.1 Patch?-That might help, since you have an older OS(XP), instead of the later OS's Vista or 7.Just a heads up.

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

• Members

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:32 PM

I'm not using a no-cd crack, and I don't have mods (I have a translator, though). How do I update the Video Card, Sound card, and DX?

AlfieWilRus
  • AlfieWilRus

I don't know what this is

• Members

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (cidamelo @ Aug 18 2010, 17:32)
I'm not using a no-cd crack, and I don't have mods (I have a translator, though). How do I update the Video Card, Sound card, and DX?

Ok, how about if you put in the complete system specs of your computer. So we can verify if you actually do have to update and when was the last time you updated anything on your computer? Sorry for the 3 day wait reply.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:43 PM

Also, please post the REQUIRED information from the Troubleshooting topic here:
Before you post a topic, please read the pinned bug lists/fixes. It is likely that you're not the first person to encounter a problem, and we may have found a solution already. In addition to these pinned topics, please utilize the forum search engine. adamcs has produced an extremely helpful guide which explains the finer points of successful searching, accessible here.

If all of the above is no help, you'll need to post a new topic. Please provide useful topic titles. "Help" or "problem" give us no insight into the problem - every topic in the Troubleshooting forum will no doubt entail a problem seeking help!

To get the most amount of help for your problem, we need as many details as we can get about your system's specs. Therefore it is highly suggested (read: demanded) that you provide:
What platform: PC, PS2, or X-Box
What version number of GTA: SA
What CPU and its speed
How much RAM, also what kind (DDR, SDRAM) and speed
What video card
Which version of Windows (and any service packs)
Which DirectX version
What sound card
History: Is this your first install? Did it work once before? Anything that is relevant.
Screenshots, if applicable. This is especially necessary with display issues which can be explained far easier by use of visual aids.
Above all else, a detailed description of your problem. Give as much information as possible! Keep it relevant, though. We don't need a fifty-page printout from some diagnosis program. Usually the above prompts will suffice.

Also, have you tried deleting the .set file in the User Files folder in Documents(Vista and 7)/My Documents(XP) after the driver updates? Also, try getting rid of the Translator and play the game normally as it was intended, and see if that helps. The above quote will help determine the problem(s).

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

• Members

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:54 AM

Sorry, I thought that the system requisits were useless to post since every new computer can run GTA III. sad.gif But I''ll post them:
What platform: PC, PS2, or X-Box PC
What CPU and its speed: Intel Core2Quad 2.33 GHz
How much RAM, also what kind (DDR, SDRAM) and speed: 4 GB RAM (but only 3 GB USABLE)
What video card: GeForce 9400
Which version of Windows (and any service packs): Windows XP PROFESSIONAL SERVICE PACK 3
Which DirectX version: 9
What sound card: Realtek HD Audio output
History: I never had problems with GTA III. It was the ONLY game I NEVER HAD PROBLEMS WITH!!! Since I told it to my son, THE GAME GAVE THIS PROBLEM! I formatted my computer and the game is giving this problem. cryani.gif cryani.gif
Screenshots, if applicable. This is especially necessary with display issues which can be explained far easier by use of visual aids: I don't know how a screenshot can explain the problem notify.gif

I deleted the SET file and I don't know how to update my drives sad.gif I deleted the translator reinstalled the game and the problem persists. I guess I'm unlucky sad.gif

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:36 AM

If driver updates and 98 compatibilty mode doesn't work, then try "rolling back" to SP2 for XP and see if that helps...you can always re-install SP3 if the roll back does not work. With Windows update, it's real easy, since Windows automatically creates a restore point before it installs the upgrade(SP3) in this case...Just a heads up.

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

• Members

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:53 PM

But I can't run GTA IV in Service Pack 2. sad.gif

Mr Scratch
  • Mr Scratch

Sly Bastard

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:10 PM Edited by VF94, 31 August 2010 - 08:12 PM.

EDIT:sry didn't read the full first post

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users