Photo

BioShock Infinite

246 replies to this topic
MWC
  • MWC

Hustler

• Members

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

just finished the game and wow that ending, my face was literally frozen like this dontgetit.gif

one of the best games i ever played, now that i finished it im thinking of going threw Bioshock 1 and 2 since i never got around to finishing them

also i think nobody mentioned that songbird was actually designed when one of the fink brothers saw a creation of a big daddy trough a rift, which is also why they share similar features, and also why elizabeth and him are so attached to each other

also does anyone know the choices that we made threw the game actually made an impact or something or are they just there to *not really a big spoiler hint at the ending

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Contribution Award [Gen Chat]

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (LifeWithScissors @ Saturday, Mar 30 2013, 15:25)
Planning to buy Bioshock Infinite. Heard it's a very good game.

Buy it.

I have to double dip and get the xbox copy too because my wife's PC won't be able to do it proper justice and she wants to play after having watched the opening sequence on my PC. I'm pretty sure it was the version of 'Will the Circle be Unbroken' playing in that church in the beginning that got her.

People seem to be finishing pretty fast. I never know how to take that. Is the game on the short side or are people just motoring through it? To those who've finished - about how many hours would you say from start to finish.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

I wanted to buy it - but when I gave Bioshock 1 a chance I could never reconcile the amazing story with the mindless shooting that comprised the gameplay.
I'm truly sorry to see that repeated in this game.
Why create such an amazing city, with its own political system and history - only to use it for a shooting game? I can't play it, and even if I could the ending would have left me feeling pretty damn cheated.
That ending sucks, they had a chance to explore the mentality of both religious fundamentalists and revolutionaries - and they blew it.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Sunday, Mar 31 2013, 19:28)
I wanted to buy it - but when I gave Bioshock 1 a chance I could never reconcile the amazing story with the mindless shooting that comprised the gameplay.
I'm truly sorry to see that repeated in this game.
Why create such an amazing city, with its own political system and history - only to use it for a shooting game? I can't play it, and even if I could the ending would have left me feeling pretty damn cheated.
That ending sucks, they had a chance to explore the mentality of both religious fundamentalists and revolutionaries - and they blew it.

I couldn't agree more. So far it is just a corridor shooter with an interesting story. I'm looking forward to how that story progresses, but when I finish it I'll be trading it in. i'll reserve full judgement on it until I've finished it, but gameplay wise atm it's pretty sucky - here comes some more fodder for me to shoot or melee...sigh.

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Members

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:53 PM Edited by mrpain, 31 March 2013 - 07:55 PM.

QUOTE (trip @ Monday, Apr 1 2013, 02:32)
People seem to be finishing pretty fast.  I never know how to take that.  Is the game on the short side or are people just motoring through it?  To those who've finished - about how many hours would you say from start to finish.

The game definitely felt like a long experience to me. It's the ending that makes it seem long. I say the game is a good length of 15 hours.

QUOTE (kudoboi @ Sunday, Mar 31 2013, 21:56)
Actual review starts at 2:00

tl;dr 9/10

Gotta love Angry Joe. One point he made out was the missing element of puzzles and I agree completely. To be honest, I rarely use Vigors unless it comes to desperate times. They could have been more useful if there were puzzles that forces you to use your powers.

Oh and to anyone wondering where Elizabeth got her powers from, it is because two parts of her exist in different tears. Her missing finger in Booker's and herself in Comstock's. Having two parts of her in two tears gave her the powers somehow.

EDIT: And I do agree with Typhus and JOSEPH about the gameplay wise. For such an immersible atmospheric game, the shooting mechanics doesn't do anything revolutionary. Well beside the sky lines. I mean c'mon, sky lines!

MWC
  • MWC

Hustler

• Members

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (mrpain @ Sunday, Mar 31 2013, 20:53)
QUOTE (trip @ Monday, Apr 1 2013, 02:32)
People seem to be finishing pretty fast.  I never know how to take that.  Is the game on the short side or are people just motoring through it?  To those who've finished - about how many hours would you say from start to finish.

The game definitely felt like a long experience to me. It's the ending that makes it seem long. I say the game is a good length of 15 hours.

QUOTE (kudoboi @ Sunday, Mar 31 2013, 21:56)
Actual review starts at 2:00

tl;dr 9/10

Gotta love Angry Joe. One point he made out was the missing element of puzzles and I agree completely. To be honest, I rarely use Vigors unless it comes to desperate times. They could have been more useful if there were puzzles that forces you to use your powers.

Oh and to anyone wondering where Elizabeth got her powers from, it is because two parts of her exist in different tears. Her missing finger in Booker's and herself in Comstock's. Having two parts of her in two tears gave her the powers somehow.

EDIT: And I do agree with Typhus and JOSEPH about the gameplay wise. For such an immersible atmospheric game, the shooting mechanics doesn't do anything revolutionary. Well beside the sky lines. I mean c'mon, sky lines!

actually i believe that elizabeth got her powers when after she was taken by as baby from booker, rosalind and ronald letuce did experiments on her and somehow transfered the ability to open rifts from their machine to her, because it is obvious that they had the ability to open rifts before elizabeth as they used it to take her as a baby before the whole dimension where she became elizabeth existed and you can see the machine that they used to open rifts in their lab near the end of the game

Algonquin Bridge
  • Algonquin Bridge

Large, metallic bridge structure carrying cars across water.

• Members

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:16 AM

Regarding Elizabeth's powers... Remember her stumpy little finger? She lost the tip in Booker's universe when Comstock pulled her through to his. So we have One part of Elizabeth existing in one universe, and the rest in another. The universe does not like this - or as Rosalind Lutece puts it in her audiolog, "The Universe does not like having its peas mixed with its porridge.

Remix
  • Remix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:00 AM

So yeah, I finished the game in just under 11 hours today. I've spent a few hours on Reddit and read some of the discussion on the ending there. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy the game as much as others did, but I really did like the story and the atmosphere. I wanted to like the game, I really did, I just found the combat more of a tiresome task that needed to be completed before being able to advance the story.

The ending was rather unsatisfactory and left me with more questions than answers. Still, the concept was neat but it really came down to being a time travel story - and they're always frustrating.

I'm glad I played it though because it really shows the potential of what games can and eventually will be, I unfortunately just couldn't love it!

les
  • les

Kith the batman.

• The Precinct

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (Remix @ Monday, Apr 1 2013, 06:00)
So yeah, I finished the game in just under 11 hours today. I've spent a few hours on Reddit and read some of the discussion on the ending there. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy the game as much as others did, but I really did like the story and the atmosphere. I wanted to like the game, I really did, I just found the combat more of a tiresome task that needed to be completed before being able to advance the story.

The ending was rather unsatisfactory and left me with more questions than answers. Still, the concept was neat but it really came down to being a time travel story - and they're always frustrating.

I'm glad I played it though because it really shows the potential of what games can and eventually will be, I unfortunately just couldn't love it!

I feel the same way, though perhaps to a lesser extent; I thoroughly enjoyed myself while playing the game, but I did find that the combat grew tiresome at certain points in the story. After spending some time browsing r/BioShock, and becoming familiar with many of the main theories and conclusions drawn by the community, my opinion of the game was only improved. The art direction, writing, and attention to detail (in some cases to a scary extent) is almost without parallel -- fact is that the atmosphere and composition of this game, despite, at its core, being 'just another shooter', is good enough to put this title easily within my top ten favorite games of all time.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

Just finished it. Who cares? I don't. I don't care what parallel universe Booker is living in or whether he's dead. I have zero empathy for the guy - possibly because of the first person perspective - that takes away from any emotion the guy is feeling, especially moments like 'press x to comfort Elizabeth'

Gameplaywise the whole thing became a chore before I got to Chen Lin. There's a scissors, paper, brick mechanic with some enemies being immune to some vigours and weak to others, but apart from that it's just line 'em up and knock 'em down. For a game with such an allegedly high minded story the gameplay is crass - why not just make a movie?

I'm going to have to give it 5/10, because the gameplay does not serve the story - it's a total mismatch. They should have done more with the tears into parallel worlds and given it the mystery that the story was about. There is only the sense of going down a linear path to the big reveal, which to me was too obtuse to warrant caring about.

mirmihir
  • mirmihir

Jerichoholic

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

This game is GOTG for me. The gameplay is good, art direction is excellent, but the meta narrative is what sets it above the rest.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:49 AM Edited by Tycek, 02 April 2013 - 01:26 PM.

@Joseph X
Great post, man. With all these people praising this game and calling it game of the year, best game ever and some other titles your opinion is like a bit of fresh air. I was hyped for the game till I saw it at my friend's. Bioshock turned into linear shooter (!) with replenishing health (!!) where you can't carry more than two weapons (!!!) and where your only job is to kill enemies and snoop the drawers (!!!!). What happened to the Elizabeth, who turned from active companion into beautiful, sweet, talkative but nothing more than collector bot from Dead Space 3? And if bringing all the items wasn't enough she's even opening all the locked doors for you. What happened to the game, which turned from action-semi-RPG turned into linear run'n'gun? Of course it's beautiful, Columbia is breathtaking, vistas can blow your eyes out, but when you stop your sightseeing you'll get back to killing not very interesting enemies.

Am I the only one that feels that this series is evolving into wrong way. I know that shooters are more appealing to the mass (vide CoD), but does really Bioshock have to go this way, because this series is losing everything that is good. I know that you may say that System Shocks aren't exactly connected to Bioshocks, but we may assume that the second series is just spiritual successor of the first one. Both SS and SS2 had open world (till some point), but when we didn't cross the line we could go anywhere we want. Bioshocks were linear, but the maps were that big that they simply imitate the open world. They got a lot of rooms, different corridors you could venture into to find something interesting. Bioshock Infinite got quite small maps, which got one paved road for you. SSs got something for your mind - puzzles (SS1 got many of them and there were fine, SS2 drop them into the favor of hacking, which wasn't that good). Similar puzzles were in Bioshock, but suddenly in Infinite Elizabeth is doing all the job and you have to stay and wait?

/rant

Carbine23
  • Carbine23

Work Hard & Say It's Easy

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

One of the best games i've played since Red Dead Redemption. But i will say that i feel like there are plot holes in the game. For anyone confused with the ending just look up explanations and analysis's on the internet. I sort of was on the right track with the ending but the explanations' helped me fully understand it

King Of Monra
  • King Of Monra

When someone close to you dies, move seats

• Members

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

I just randomly bought the game for someone else on steam.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:26 PM Edited by Stinky12, 03 April 2013 - 10:34 PM.

Just finished the game and are their multiple ending to this or there's only 1 ending?
In BS and BS2, they're multiple endings depending on your decision with them little sisters.
Bioshock infinite is very similar to Bioshock 2 in terms of father and daughter relationship.
One disappointment with the game is the lack of info on the Boy of silence. And Handyman has a sad story behind it, when you listen to the voxophones found in the game.

MWC
  • MWC

Hustler

• Members

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE (Stinky12 @ Wednesday, Apr 3 2013, 23:26)
Just finished the game and are their multiple ending to this or there's only 1 ending?
In BS and BS2, they're multiple endings depending on your decision with them little sisters.
Bioshock infinite is very similar to Bioshock 2 in terms of father and daughter relationship.

theres only 1 ending

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (MWC @ Wednesday, Apr 3 2013, 22:28)

theres only 1 ending

Thanks, I thought I was playing it wrong. tounge.gif
And does anyone know how to change gears?
Not Vigors where you can access by press Q (for PC)

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE (Stinky12 @ Wednesday, Apr 3 2013, 23:37)
QUOTE (MWC @ Wednesday, Apr 3 2013, 22:28)

theres only 1 ending

Thanks, I thought I was playing it wrong. tounge.gif
And does anyone know how to change gears?
Not Vigors where you can access by press Q (for PC)

You need to press O.

michael92
  • michael92

God, I ate too many cheeseburgers at Burger Shot

• Members

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

The game brings the nice feel that Bioshock 1 gave, FINALLY we get an actual Bioshock 1 sequel (2 doesn't count, different developer, feels like the same damn game, but not as good)

Doing a lets play of Infinite actually:

Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:03 PM Edited by Indi, 07 April 2013 - 03:06 PM.

Completed it a few hours ago. It was pretty good to be fair and I would consider it GoTY. However, it simply just does not beat the original BioShock.

The City of Columbia is a beautiful environment but the eeriness and the atmosphere of Rapture just cannot simply be matched in my opinion, I hope the next BioShock will go back to Rapture because man when I played that game it was crazy, f*cking Big Daddy's and Little Sisters freaked me out -- but with BSI I didn't get that feeling of isolation and loneliness like I did with Rapture.

Don't get me wrong the story in this is solid and BSI is the sequel that BioShock 1 deserves but as a whole I still don't think it holds up to BioShock 1. I also liked Elizabeth helping me out at times but it did take the difficulty away for me a bit.

As a BioShock game it's second best, as a game in itself it's definitely GoTY so far (probably until GTA V comes out). BSI beats BS2 by a longshot and it's good that BSI was made by the original devs of BioShock again.

I'd rate it about an 8.9, it's not quite a 9, but it's not quite an 8 either biggrin.gif .

EDIT: PC fans, the port is solid but the stuttering issues still haven't been fixed.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:06 AM

I just now finished it. Loved it. The entire setting was beautiful. I didn't really get the rail shooter complaint people were mentioning. There is still going to be a lot of point A to point B shooting, but some of the scripted cinematics were great along the way.

They really captured scale perfectly. Big ass sh*t looks and moves like big ass sh*t. The f*cking bird was awesome.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:10 AM

Only a minute into this video, and TotalBiscuit's been explaining the difficulty in critiquing this game, so I thought I'd share.

Shteeve McClaren
  • Shteeve McClaren

Rat

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

How does the PS3 version of this game compare? Is it worth getting on a console?

NikoBellic1993
  • NikoBellic1993

Peon

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (Indi @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 15:03)
Completed it a few hours ago.  It was pretty good to be fair and I would consider it GoTY.  However, it simply just does not beat the original BioShock.

The City of Columbia is a beautiful environment but the eeriness and the atmosphere of Rapture just cannot simply be matched in my opinion, I hope the next BioShock will go back to Rapture because man when I played that game it was crazy, f*cking Big Daddy's and Little Sisters freaked me out -- but with BSI I didn't get that feeling of isolation and loneliness like I did with Rapture.

Don't get me wrong the story in this is solid and BSI is the sequel that BioShock 1 deserves but as a whole I still don't think it holds up to BioShock 1.  I also liked Elizabeth helping me out at times but it did take the difficulty away for me a bit.

As a BioShock game it's second best, as a game in itself it's definitely GoTY so far (probably until GTA V comes out).  BSI beats BS2 by a longshot and it's good that BSI was made by the original devs of BioShock again.

I'd rate it about an 8.9, it's not quite a 9, but it's not quite an 8 either biggrin.gif .

EDIT: PC fans, the port is solid but the stuttering issues still haven't been fixed.

I doubt Ken Levine wants to return to Rapture because that's the reason he didn't do BS2 and did Infinite instead which is why 2 sucked and Infinite is amazing . And there is no story to tell from Rapture anyway, the story in 2 looked like it was made by some fanfic guys, i mean playing as a Big Daddy, really ? Not to mention it was pretty lackluster .

Mobster124
  • Mobster124

Rat

• Members

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

I just brought the game today. I've played the first hour and a half, so far it's amazing. I have only got into the action, plus when it happens then stops, it give you time to relax and explore the world. There are so much to see.

.: Phaze
  • .: Phaze

Why so serious?...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

I honestly can't wait to get my copy from Gamefly. This game looks amazing... I just have to find time to play it, because I work two jobs... I'll figure it out...

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:22 AM

QUOTE (.: Phaze @ Wednesday, Apr 10 2013, 15:59)
I honestly can't wait to get my copy from Gamefly. This game looks amazing... I just have to find time to play it, because I work two jobs... I'll figure it out...

You'll find time biggrin.gif . I'm a man of little time too.
I finish very few AAA titles [other then GTA], but this one had me glued 'till the end.

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

zero punctuation : bioshock infinite

http://www.escapistm...oShock-Infinite

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:04 AM

Does anyone else think the carbine rifle is a little too powerful? Also the gun upgrades are kind of redundant since all the weapons are powerful enough already? although I haven't completed the game yet it may get a lot harder.

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

This game was one of the most beautiful, epic, confusing and emotional experiences I've ever had. The gameplay was at times repetitive and frustrating, only slightly better than the average game. However the story, characters, themes and environment are all fantastic. Holy sh*t, THAT ending.

f*cking brilliant.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users