» «
Photo

BioShock Infinite

245 replies to this topic
Reconite
  • Reconite

PC Gaming Master Race

• Members

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:12 PM Edited by Reconite, 21 September 2010 - 07:58 PM.

user posted image

Official Site

Previews & Interviews:
http://kotaku.com/56...-into-the-skies
http://gameinformer....mpressions.aspx
http://uk.pc.ign.com.../1111864p1.html
http://www.joystiq.c...shock-infinite/
http://uk.gamespot.c...2&mode=previews

New BioShock announced! It seems a prequel to the first one, developed by Irrational (not 2k Marin who did BioShock 2). The interviews are long reads so I won't quote any. The trailer looks awesome. colgate.gif

Lithium
  • Lithium

Draugr

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:20 PM Edited by LithiuM_FirestorM, 12 August 2010 - 07:01 PM.

QUOTE (Reconite @ Aug 12 2010, 14:12)
user posted image

Official Site

http://kotaku.com/56...-into-the-skies

New BioShock announced! It seems a prequel to the first one, developed by Irrational (not 2k Marin who did BioShock 2). It's a long read so I won't quote it. The trailer looks awesome. colgate.gif

It wouldn't let me watch the trailer for some reason, but the game looks like it will be interesting for sure! Don't know how good it's going to fit in with the Bioshock concept though.
EDIT: So there's going to be robots in the game I take it? Looks different that's for sure.

Reconite
  • Reconite

PC Gaming Master Race

• Members

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:21 PM

I found the trailer on youtube right now, so I put it in the OP.

General Goose
  • General Goose

Because Jeb Bush is all in my house with disease.

• Members

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:47 PM

Saw this on IGN.

Looks VERY interesting. I'm looking forward to how the story works.

Tyler
  • Tyler

bubblingbubblingbubbling

• NATO
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:12 PM

Now this looks much better than the second for sure. Returning to the roots, and we can see that from the trailer.

The concept of a floating city is mad, I wonder if the composer in the trailer was Andrew Ryan?

BLlTZ
  • BLlTZ

Typical behaviour for someone with your condition.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Texture/Model 2013 "SRt3 2012 Mipmap Edition"

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:28 PM

What has to do Bioshock Series with the SKY. panic.gif
This will get and turn 180 degree; something like from Far Cry Series to Far Cry 2.
Just Perfect! I colorfull Alice in Wonderland Game that is like is made for kids under 11 years old. Now everything is Bright and no water popping off from everywhere around the dark corners, crawling through corridors on the ocean floor, claustrophobic with the weight of the ocean bearing down on you. Beeing a prequel or sequel with a total different look how they can say is in the same Univers of Bioshock ?! Bioshock idea was meant to be only on the see when 2kgames released the first one even Andrew Ryan said that Rapture couldn't be made on sea or sky

Everything will be like a Lala-land with Tin Man's in Tights where the robot-hand is very familiar with some of the movies for kids I've seen when I was young. This doesn't have any to do with the Series. Is like turning out Valve's Half-Life 2 into Crysis. WTF they have done!

THIS IS RAPTURE; This is Andrew Ryan! This is the nature of Bioshock Series! NOT Flyoshock (like someone said on Gaf)-Columbia world idea taken from reality with not talent! What it will with Bioshock 4 ?! In space. I prefer to still wait for Bioshock 3 from 2kGames where this one is Bioshock Infinite.

Till then all the news you want to read directly from NeoGaf source.
I don't like the sound of it and I don't know how many will accept this new idea and I'm already one of those in that group. mad.gif First when I was reading the name topic thought about that "can't belive how quick 2kgames can be with the prequel or sequel; "maybe it will give to this game the timeline before everything happend and at the end everything is starting to collapse, but noooo .... Bioshock in space."

BioShock Infinite is a first-person shooter currently in development at Irrational Games, the studio behind the original BioShock (which sold over 4 million units worldwide). Set in 1912, BioShock Infinite introduces an entirely new narrative and gameplay experience that lifts players out of the familiar confines of Rapture and rockets them to Columbia, an immense city in the sky.

Former Pinkerton agent Booker DeWitt has been sent to rescue Elizabeth, a young woman imprisoned in Columbia since childhood. Booker develops a relationship with Elizabeth, augmenting his abilities with hers so the pair may escape from a city that is literally falling from the sky. DeWitt must learn to fight foes in high-speed Sky-Line battles, engage in combat both indoors and amongst the clouds, and harness the power of dozens of new weapons and abilities

A Message from Ken Levine

Keeping secrets is hard.

The last three years for me have been dominated by a single question: “What are you guys doing there?”

Some of you were pretty certain it was an X-COM game, which I can now safely say it is not. It is also not part of the Freedom Force, SWAT, X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, Kingdom Hearts or Yar’s Revenge franchises. The time for discussing what Irrational Games is NOT doing is over.

Today we announce BioShock Infinite.

That’s right, this is a BioShock game.

It’s a sequel.

But it’s also not a sequel.

Let me explain.

At Irrational Games, we believe that in order to fulfill expectations, you have to defy expectations.

When we completed the original BioShock, we felt we had said all we wanted to say with Rapture, but we weren’t done with the idea that is BioShock. BioShock is so much more than a story of a single place or a single time. We had so much more we wanted to say.

There are two core principles for us that define a BioShock game. First, it has to be set in a world that is both fantastical and yet also grounded in the human experience. Second, it has to provide gamers with a large set of tools, and then set them loose in an environment that empowers them to solve problems in their own way.

It would have been easier for us to go back to the well. We could have taken the easy route. We could have simply done more of the same, but we would not have been true to ourselves as game developers. Making the original BioShock was hard. We challenged ourselves every step of the way, and we tossed aside many elements and ideas simply because they weren’t good enough.

So when we started the sequel, we said to ourselves: “We want to expand on those core principles, but beyond that, there are no sacred cows. Everything else that people know or think they know about BioShock is open for negotiation.”

You will find yourself in a completely new world. Columbia is not an unknown secret city at the bottom of the sea. It’s a creation of an America transforming from a regional agrarian collection of states into a world power with global reach.

You now play an actual character, and not a cypher who is unaware of his own identity. You are Booker Dewitt, a particular character with an established history, with a voice you will hear as he talks to himself and others in the game.

You’ve come to Columbia for a reason: to find a mysterious young woman named Elizabeth and bring her safely out of the city. She will travel with you, interact with you, and react to the situations you cause to happen, and through your relationship with her, we’re able to tell the story of this new and amazing world.

This world of Columbia presents radical differences in scale from what you are used to. You’re not crawling through corridors on the ocean floor, claustrophobic with the weight of the ocean bearing down on you. Instead you find yourself navigating through huge environments, zipping around on Sky-Lines at eighty miles per hour and getting into firefights at ranges of two thousand yards.

In fact, there is so much new and radical about BioShock Infinite that we simply can’t tell you all about it in one revelation. What we present to the world today is merely the tip of a very large iceberg. In the coming months we’ll begin to reveal more of what BioShock Infinite is all about and let the world know why we are so excited.

For now, we want to thank you all for your patience, and for sticking with us all these many months while we labored in silence.The time for silence is over. First up for the fans of this site is another episode of Irrational Behavior with Shawn Elliott that covers the announcement of BioShock Infinite and the work that led up to it. I’m sure you’ll dig it.

Down the road a bit, actual gameplay footage awaits. It’s something you’re going to want to watch more than once. Trust me on this one.

Reconite
  • Reconite

PC Gaming Master Race

• Members

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:34 PM

The name "BioShock" was never limited to the water setting. It was called BioShock because the game was based on biopunk ideas, like implants and body modifications.

Just like System Shock was based on cyberpunk ideas.

And complaining about a game having colour is f*cking stupid, sorry.

BLlTZ
  • BLlTZ

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:52 PM Edited by -BLITZ-, 12 August 2010 - 08:54 PM.

Colours going to the extreme way of Lalaland like bedroom-wallpaper that can be found on kids room where the city is very clean from that trailer. Bioshock wasn't black and white but not saturated of colors. Yes! I know why Bioshock is beeing called like that but the first & second it what it is - and now this one ?! Stupid or not, that's my asnwer for the moment. You like it; it's fine and cuz it's your choise, not mine.

The story of Bioshock was made under the sea. The Sequel remain under the sea. Why they didn't made 2 up in the sky because the next sequel/prequel from 2kgames that they are preparing it will be on the sea if i'm not wrong. So the univers of Bioshock is under the sea.

Lithium
  • Lithium

Draugr

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE (-BLITZ- @ Aug 12 2010, 16:52)
Colours going to the extreme way of Lalaland like bedroom-wallpaper that can be found on kids room where the city is very clean from that trailer. Bioshock wasn't black and white but not saturated of colors. Yes! I know why Bioshock is beeing called like that but the first & second it what it is - and now this one ?! Stupid or not, that's my asnwer for the moment. You like it; it's fine and cuz it's your choise, not mine.

The story of Bioshock was made under the sea. The Sequel remain under the sea. Why they didn't made 2 up in the sky because the next sequel/prequel from 2kgames that they are preparing it will be on the sea if i'm not wrong. So the univers of Bioshock is under the sea.

Is it just me or is your english a lot worse than normal?

BLlTZ
  • BLlTZ

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:09 PM

I'm not part of America, Canada, Uk; etc. Just because I miss a letter there and there I don't have an excuse - I am from where I am. Belive me, I don't even have complete 5 years of english in knowledge. It happens to miss some word or two; I'm not perfect and nobody is.

Lithium
  • Lithium

Draugr

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (-BLITZ- @ Aug 12 2010, 17:09)
I'm not part of America, Canada, Uk; etc. Just because I miss a letter there and there I don't have an excuse - I am from where I am. Belive me, I don't even have complete 5 years of english in knowledge. It happens to miss some word or two; I'm not perfect and nobody is.

I didn't say it was bad, I said it was worse than I've seen you type before.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:42 PM

I can't say that I like the idea of a city in clouds. It's not really original. But I'll keep my out on this. I loved Bioshock and Bioshock 2 although first one was a lot better. I actually played Bioshock 1 from 9am to 9pm on the first day and I didn't even noticed the time passing by. That is the only time something like that happened. It speaks a lot about how immersive that game is.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:23 AM

Hmm quite different, we all know the beauty of the first game was the atmosphere and the actual design of the game world being that art Deco deal. The second games lacklustre sales proves this theme and atmosphere can't hold up a sequel as the "fresh eyes" effect of the first is gone. In my eyes the series can only move forward with a newish setting and design ideas. You might be scoffing at the seemingly bright and colourful "Around the World in 80 Days" look but to me that only makes whatever evil or corruption that much more effective. As for the originals claustrophobic thing of being underwater well I find the prospect as shown in the trailer of being hundreds of feet in the air and falling to your doom pretty terrifying. The only thing that bothers me is that Girl's face, looks to much like a Dreamworks computer animated movie character totally unlike the more realistic faces in Bioshock which breaks the connection with the original.

Rockworm
  • Rockworm

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:02 AM Edited by Rockworm, 13 August 2010 - 03:07 AM.

very interesting.. I still need to play 2 but its cool.

@Blitz... I don't mean to be rude here but you seem way to nitpicky... Everything has to be just right for you or you'll hate it. God can't u just enjoy something for what it is?

Edit: just watched the trailer and I love it. It looks awesome. I applaud the devs for trying something different. It'd get tedious if we had the same setting every time.

Tyler
  • Tyler

bubblingbubblingbubbling

• NATO
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:03 AM

I am interested in knowing what that semi- big daddy thing was. It looked like its heart was inside of the head, and it has robotic phalanges. Very weird indeed.

I am also wondering as to how this will work as a prequel, unless it is something set around a year before the first Bioshock. Seems like an unorthodox idea to be in a floating city, but then again it is also weird to be leagues under the Atlantic ocean in a city.

BLlTZ
  • BLlTZ

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE (Rockworm @ Aug 13 2010, 05:02)
@Blitz... I don't mean to be rude here but you seem way to nitpicky... Everything has to be just right for you or you'll hate it. God can't u just enjoy something for what it is?

Ouh! No, no, no! Is not about what, I'm not even thinking in that kind of way. I'm not even like that. I'm just dissapointed in all of this. They released the game; they want answers from the public; I've have show mine. Pretty obvious and stupid indeed to think that from one guy the hole world have to lisen.
Dissapointed because many of what GTA3Freak-2001 said will not be included anymore in this sequel/prequel.

Supreme.
  • Supreme.

• Members

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:27 AM Edited by Supreme., 12 December 2011 - 07:27 AM.

Yeah, seems great. Love the setting and that Irrational are back on it. I've only played the first BioShock, which was great in areas, but decided the sequel wasn't worth my time, so if this is a prequel that obviously won't be a problem.

I'll be on the lookout for it.

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Members

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:56 AM

I like the new Cloud City setting. But will it top off the beautiful world of Rapture?

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:16 AM

I have the first two, but have still to play them. That trailer was amazing, though.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:22 AM

I still haven't played Bioshock 2 yet, and probably won't, so this may be the reason I'm a bit confused here. In BS 1 it was established that the outside world was pretty much as the world was at the time, and all the advances in genetics and technology took place in Rapture. I can allow for the whole cloud city thing in the alternate universe thing, but where do the psychic powers (talked about in the IGN demo) come from? All the plasmids, and thus stuff like telekinesis, came from the ADAM slugs in the sea which, while far fetched, at least gave some pseudo-science explanation for them.

If I can be convinced that this is a good game that doesn't just rape the original for a cash-in I'll probably buy it. If not I'll just leave it as I did BS2. Personally I thought the original was the closest to one of the "perfect" games I've played and it didn't need a sequel and it most certainly didn't need multiplayer.

Lithium
  • Lithium

Draugr

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (Robinski @ Aug 13 2010, 06:22)
I still haven't played Bioshock 2 yet, and probably won't, so this may be the reason I'm a bit confused here. In BS 1 it was established that the outside world was pretty much as the world was at the time, and all the advances in genetics and technology took place in Rapture. I can allow for the whole cloud city thing in the alternate universe thing, but where do the psychic powers (talked about in the IGN demo) come from? All the plasmids, and thus stuff like telekinesis, came from the ADAM slugs in the sea which, while far fetched, at least gave some pseudo-science explanation for them.

If I can be convinced that this is a good game that doesn't just rape the original for a cash-in I'll probably buy it. If not I'll just leave it as I did BS2. Personally I thought the original was the closest to one of the "perfect" games I've played and it didn't need a sequel and it most certainly didn't need multiplayer.

Have to agree with you there Robinski. The second game wasn't that great. It didn't captivate me like the first one. I think it was just because the shock value (no pun intended) was gone. I have yet to beat the second game just because I have no interest in doing so. Maybe some day.... sarcasm.gif

Ciabatta
  • Ciabatta

Rude Boy

• Members

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE (Robinski @ Aug 13 2010, 10:22)

I haven't played BioShock 2 either but from what it sounds like that game was the cash in. This game actually is from the same developer as the original.

I actually like the new concept. It is something new and refreshing for each fan of the BioShock universe. The city of Columbia was an American project so it was highly publicized, unlike Rapture's creation. There is little mystery behind it in the eyes of the public in the game's reality. Yet there is much to be unveiled to us, the gamer, and how we interact with this new world. I think that mystery is what is appealing about this game. The concept of how this will stay true to BioShock and how will it differ.

I like the era and the nationalistic theme that the game seems to be taking. It's playing off the sentiment of America (and the world, for that matter) in the early 20th century. I watched the Rewind Trailer on IGN and the city seems to be protecting itself against "anarchists", whom many people at that time thought were trying to take down the grandeur of America. It's playing off the paranoia of such real-U.S. events like Sacco-Vanzetti. Maybe the city went rogue because it is trying to reshape America? Who knows? There's a lot left to be answered.

I would like to know who are new villain is.

Rockworm
  • Rockworm

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:09 AM

Interview yo

Snake Without a Tongue
  • Snake Without a Tongue

Franklin Shot Tupac

• Members

Posted 14 August 2010 - 05:47 PM

Wow, I'd lost all faith in Bioshock after the squeal, but that trailer awed me the same way the original did. Definitely looking forward to it.

ObsydianRaven
  • ObsydianRaven

Formerly Sethpenguin

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:47 PM

I watched the trailer and I thought, "WOW this is amazing".

I definitely am going to buy this when it comes out. It looks very interesting both plot and setting wise. I wonder if they'll tie Bioshock Infinite with the original. Like for example, perhaps Andrew Ryan could've been inspired by Columbia and have used that inspiration to build Rapture.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:03 AM

What a f*cking prince!

I love BioShock, and anything with the BS name I will buy (as long as it isn't 'BS' mainstream of course).

But this looks brilliant, and the guy who was the brains behind the original; Ken Levine, is back too!

Plus Irrational Games who is a subsidiary of 2k Games, is back again on this, which they also made the first BioShock, so THIS is going to be a...

GREAT. f*ckING. GAME.

Jesus'En'Hitler420
  • Jesus'En'Hitler420

Suck on that missle cock

• Members

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:38 PM

Wow, it's 12:30pm, I'm already drinking, me and my buddy just watched this and shat our pants. That is some scary sh*t falling like that. That trailer portrayed that feeling... almost too well.

xrCore
  • xrCore

'MURICA

• Members

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:52 AM

After falling in love with the first one, and the reason I got an Xbox, I must have Infinite. I knew a third BioShock in the same setting wouldn't work, it just gets bland. Smart move by the devs, can't wait!

Reconite
  • Reconite

PC Gaming Master Race

• Members

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:58 PM

They call it a "gameplay trailer" but it's really just one big scripted cutscene.

Also, by the looks of it... it might have regenerating health, if this "gameplay" trailer is anything to go by. I hope it doesn't. confused.gif

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:08 PM

I don't know what to make of that. It's very cool, but is that how the game will actually play?

I'm surprised that they're showing this game off more than a year before it will come out. Surely it's too early to start showing media from the game? It can't be anywhere near finished.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users