Photo

Evan's Tips to Making Missions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic
Evanthebassist
  • Evanthebassist

Evan

• Members

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:11 AM Edited by Evanthebassist, 30 July 2010 - 07:01 PM.

NOTE: This is just tips I made for helping people make better missions.
If you want an actual function manual, GO HERE

I was bored so I decided to start writing some tips out there for everyone.
I've been making missions for quite a while and I can make a quality mission that usually takes a person 12 mins to complete in about 10 mins.

[CLICK Y FOR THE DYOM MENU] LOL.
How this kind of works is like a timeline.
Starting positon = Objective 0.
First objective = Objective 1.
Anything you put after 0 and before 1 appears in between the two times.
Same with if you add another Objective (2).
DYOM allows you to do up to 100 objectives in each mission, but I usually get bugs between objective 35-50. You really shouldn't need that much objectives in one mission anyway.

Intro Notes:

Keyboard Characters:
You can do shift with other numbers also,
but these are one's that I mostly use.
SHIFT + 1 = (!) Exclamation.
SHIFT + 3 = (?) Question.
SHIFT + 6 = (=) Equals.
SHIFT + 7 = (/) Slash.
SHIFT + 8 = (') Apostrophe.

Colored Texts / Up or Down Signs:
You DO NOT need Notepad++ for this.
To make a colored text you use ~.
The possible colors are:
Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, Purple, and White (Which is kind of pointless).
Also if you want to do up or down signs, ~u~ or ~d~ are the codes.
To choose a color, you use the first letter of the color.
EX: Red: r, but you must start and end it with ~.
So if you wanted to say:
Get to Your House.
You would write:
Get to ~r~Your House~w~.
The ~w~ is for changing it back to your normal color.
You want the checkpoint that is at your house to be RED so it matches with your new colored text you used.

Talking People and Main Characters:
What you could do is if you're writing:
EX. Charlie= Hello, friend!
You're going to write a color for his name and then program it back to white after.
So:
~b~Charlie~w~SHIFT + 6 Hello, friend SHIFT + 1.
Blue^ White^ ^=(Equals sign) ^!(Exclamation)

You'll have to play with it for it to work to your advantage.

Beginning A Mission:

First press 'NEW MISSION' from the 'mission menu' tab.
Type the name of the mission and your name. (You can also make them colored!)
Okay, the important thing is to find a place that you want the character to start.
You can choose three routes for this:

If you want the main player (YOU) to just stand there and not have an animation:
You can just choose the player from either just starting or clicking the 'player tab'.
Just put him/her where you want to start the mission.

If you want the main player to actually have an animation:
what you're going to do is, put the 'PLAYER' out of focus.
Around a corner or far away, but not that far, from where you want the cutscenes at.
Click on the 'ACTOR' tab and choose the same character as the main character (YOU) in the mission. From here you can choose the animation. Then make other actors and have cutscenes, but I'll talk about those later. After you have put your cutscenes and stuff, then you will need to go near and aim towards the actor that is the main character in the mission. You will go to the 'objective' tab in the menu and click on 'hide actor'. That will than hide that actor after the last objective. Then the last part is you will go to where you hid the actor and click on objectives>special objectives>teleport, and choose the same character. You will now appear there after the animation and cutscenes!

Starting the main actor in a car:
I don't usually use this method but,
This one is kind of like the last one except in this one you will first choose 'PLAYER' and move him where ever, it doesn't matter. Then go to objectives>special objectives>Teleport to car. You will select a car and its color and stats, and your done. Easy as that.

Using Objectives/settings/cars/objects in Game:
Objects:
Easiest of all things, just put it in at the place you want in our situation it woould be after objective 0.
If you want something to explode or fire, you also can choose from those in the list of objects. (NEAR THE BACK) The explosion will work just like anything else, it will go off where you put it in your timeline list.
Say you want like a gate in your mission, but then you want it to blow up midway into the mission and disappear, so you can get through.
1. Add a gate from objects list.
2. Then do your cutscenes or whatever you want in the story.
3. When your ready to put your bomb in, add the explosion next to the gate. (Becareful, you or others will die if you/their too close. Hense, the term 'explosion'.)
Also if you want, If you put a cutscene right after you put the explosion, it will go off in the cutscene.
4. Same spot in your timeline as the explosion, aim your view towards the gate. Then click on objects and 'hide object', on the gate.

Settings:
(Me being the shamwow guy) Self-explanatory, you want rain, you got rain with weather. You want to change the time, just change the time. You want the cops on or off you, stop having a boring wanted level, stop having a boring life. Lol biggrin.gif !

Cars:
You can either add a character in a car by choosing an actor with the animation 'sit in car'>Drivers seat, and you can create a route, follow you, attack you, or just sit in the car.
You can just add a car, for decoration, or to drive.

Objectives:
There are many objectives in the game, and you can choose any of them.
Add actor will be an enemy to kill,
Add car will mean you have to drive it, but if you click 'must destroy' then you must destroy it instead.
Add pickup means you must pick it up to advance.
Add checkpoint, just choose the kind of checkpoint and where you want it and the color and text for it.
Countdowns and timers are just for if you need to accomplish a task in an amount of time.
Set Wanted level to change it.
Timeout is for using random text sceens without objectives. Like if you want just a sceen for an incoming phone call or something.
Cutscenes:
Most important for creating a story.
Easy to use, just click on it, and set it where you want it to be and everything. Time limits for cutscenes: I usually use 5-6 seconds. But if you want it to be long lasting, I use 12.

Others:
You want someone to get shot in a cutscene:
Make the person you want to get shot an 'enemy status'
Make the shooter 'friend status' and attack direct on both of them.

A bombing area that you want the character to be stealthy or else and enemy will shoot and you will end up failing the mission. EX. DOWNLOAD
1. Create a friend actor with the 'must survive' status.
2. Hide the actor in a cornered area that you cant see. (Block him with thin walls)
3. Put a trail of the red explosive tanks (In objects) From the edge of the wall that you hid the actor in to where ever you want. If an enemy shoots, and hits the explosive it will trail back and kill the actor and you will fail the mission.

Faster actor / car / object choosing.
If you have an actor that you want but you are clear on the other side of actors and don't want to go all the way back,
1. You must have the actor already in your mission.
2. Aim at the actor and press 'EDIT ACTOR' Then press enter.
3. This will do nothing to your DYOM, but next time you press add actor,
It will start with the one that you just clicked edit on.
Also works on cars and objects! biggrin.gif

Chimpso
  • Chimpso

Ran away with the spoon...

• Members

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:09 AM

Hey Evan, this looks great biggrin.gif . Would you like me to link to this in my TUT?

Evanthebassist
  • Evanthebassist

Evan

• Members

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:06 PM

Sure man, sounds good.

Levindski
  • Levindski

Azure

• Members

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:56 PM

Nice, but you really need to fix up the "your" and "you're" errors.

So if you wanted to say:
Get to Your House.
You would write:
Get to ~r~You're House~w~.

The bolded part is the silliest mistake. Why would you tell people to write "You're" and make it "Go to you are house"?

Also, for the apostrophe in (You're), your going to use SHIFT + 8.

Again, this makes no sense. You wouldn't write "You're" in the first place, so people wouldn't need to use an apostrophe. Also, even if they did, it should be "you're going to use" instead of "your".

Other than that, nice tips, my friend.

Drift-Kingz
  • Drift-Kingz

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:09 AM

QUOTE (Levindski @ Jul 27 2010, 11:56)

So if you wanted to say:
Get to Your House.
You would write:

The bolded part is the silliest mistake. Why would you tell people to write "You're" and make it "Go to you are house"?

Again, this makes no sense. You wouldn't write "You're" in the first place, so people wouldn't need to use an apostrophe. Also, even if they did, it should be "you're going to use" instead of "your".

WTF? This isn't grammar school kid! Stop going like:

"oh oh fix this oh and your that oh spelling mistake"

Seriously WTF?

OnTopic: Look's really nice Evan! icon14.gif I haven't read the whole thing but assuming your a good mission designer, I'd say you did a pretty nice job colgate.gif

Levindski
  • Levindski

Azure

• Members

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:20 AM

QUOTE (Drift-Kingz @ Jul 28 2010, 04:09)

So if you wanted to say:
Get to Your House.
You would write:

Seriously WTF?

OnTopic: Look's really nice Evan! icon14.gif I haven't read the whole thing but assuming your a good mission designer, I'd say you did a pretty nice job colgate.gif

WTF yourself. Do you normally speak with such verbal ineptitude? sarcasm.gif

The fact is, that particular mistake makes the guide's instructions wrong, and cheapens the guide as a whole. Forgive me for being too intelligent for you, but I was trying to help Mr. Evanthebassist out.

Chimpso
  • Chimpso

• Members

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:52 AM

Guys, chill. Geez, what are you arguing over? Spelling mistakes. Calm down, this sort of arguing can get you banned in these forums.

Just thought I would warn you.

Drift-Kingz
  • Drift-Kingz

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (Levindski @ Jul 28 2010, 00:20)
QUOTE (Drift-Kingz @ Jul 28 2010, 04:09)

So if you wanted to say:
Get to Your House.
You would write:

Seriously WTF?

WTF yourself. Do you normally speak with such verbal ineptitude? sarcasm.gif

The fact is, that particular mistake makes the guide's instructions wrong, and cheapens the guide as a whole. Forgive me for being too intelligent for you, but I was trying to help Mr. Evanthebassist out.

1. No I don't.

2. There's no need to help him with his grammar as it's not related to this matter.

3. The fact is, it DOESN'T make the instruction's look wrong.

Look I don't wanna start an unblemished argument here but seriously, I'd rather pay attention to the main topic instead of prattling about how your discoursing about someone's "yours". This kind of stuff can get you banned from the forums so keep in mind to PAY ATTENTION to the main topic and not worry about grammar mistakes bored.gif Okay?

Levindski
  • Levindski

Azure

• Members

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (Drift-Kingz @ Jul 28 2010, 14:20)
1. No I don't.

2. There's no need to help him with his grammar as it's not related to this matter.

Look I don't wanna start an unblemished argument here but seriously, I'd rather pay attention to the main topic instead of prattling about how your discoursing about someone's "yours". This kind of stuff can get you banned from the forums so keep in mind to PAY ATTENTION to the main topic and not worry about grammar mistakes bored.gif Okay?

1. That's reassuring.

2. Excuse me, but I was focusing on the matter at hand. In posting any sort of guide or list of "Tips" that are meant to voluntarily help other people, you should offer the correct instructions. The instructions he posted were this:

So if you wanted to say:
Get to Your House.
You would write:

...which are obviously incorrect. I'm not trying to be a dick just by correcting his grammar, but instead by helping to improve the overall correctness of his guide icon14.gif ; thank you for not noticing that. icon13.gif

Drift-Kingz
  • Drift-Kingz

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (Levindski @ Jul 28 2010, 10:40)
QUOTE (Drift-Kingz @ Jul 28 2010, 14:20)
1. No I don't.

Look I don't wanna start an unblemished argument here but seriously, I'd rather pay attention to the main topic instead of prattling about how your discoursing about someone's "yours". This kind of stuff can get you banned from the forums so keep in mind to PAY ATTENTION to the main topic and not worry about grammar mistakes  bored.gif   Okay?

1. That's reassuring.

2. Excuse me, but I was focusing on the matter at hand. In posting any sort of guide or list of "Tips" that are meant to voluntarily help other people, you should offer the correct instructions. The instructions he posted were this:

So if you wanted to say:
Get to Your House.
You would write:

...which are obviously incorrect. I'm not trying to be a dick just by correcting his grammar, but instead by helping to improve the overall correctness of his guide icon14.gif ; thank you for not noticing that. icon13.gif

1. That's reassuring.

Okay.

You actually focused on this:

So if you wanted to say:
Get to Your House.
You would write:
Get to ~r~You're House~w~

NOT the matter at hand icon13.gif

Levindski
  • Levindski

Azure

• Members

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:17 PM

Wow, how hard can this be to understand?

So if you wanted to say:
Get to Your House.
You would write:

That obviously is the matter at hand, since it is part of the "Tips", and the entire point of this topic is to discuss these "Tips". If that's not the matter at hand you're talking about, then you have no idea how forums work.

Drift-Kingz
  • Drift-Kingz

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (Levindski @ Jul 28 2010, 11:17)
Wow, how hard can this be to understand?

So if you wanted to say:
Get to Your House.
You would write:

That obviously is the matter at hand, since it is part of the "Tips", and the entire point of this topic is to discuss these "Tips". If that's not the matter at hand you're talking about, then you have no idea how forums work.

Your not discussing the "Tips" your actually discussing about his grammar. Your like

Fix your You'res and yours

Seriously stop making stuff up. Your being an idiot discussing about the most stupidest grammar mistakes. That's pathetic man. And on top of that, your making up excuses like:

I actually am discussing about the topic:
So if you wanted to say:
Get to Your House.
You would write:

Huh? How are you discussing about the topic? Your not saying:

Oh so you do ~r~ and then ~w~?

Instead you do this:

That's wrong man! It's supposed to you're and your and your grammar your...

Seriously I'm not wasting my time on you anymore. I'm actually going to test my friend's map mod right now so seriously can you shut up?

Levindski
  • Levindski

Azure

• Members

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:27 PM

You're just not getting it. There was stuff wrong with his instructions. That's what I was correcting, not his grammar in general.

Evanthebassist
  • Evanthebassist

Evan

• Members

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:18 PM

Knock it off, guys.

Chimpso
  • Chimpso

• Members

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:21 AM

QUOTE (Levindski @ Jul 29 2010, 00:57)
You're just not getting it. There was stuff wrong with his instructions. That's what I was correcting, not his grammar in general.

Levind... Who... Cares... It's a spelling mistake.

Check my TUTs and you will see loads of them. The person reading still knows what it means/should mean, so they is no point in going crazy and starting an argument over something as trivial as this.

Evanthebassist
  • Evanthebassist

Evan

• Members

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:02 PM

New info, up and down signs and faster object/actor/car choosing.

Drift-Kingz
  • Drift-Kingz

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:59 PM

Good tips Evan wink.gif

This deserves to be in the tutorial's topic.

guib
  • guib

Do you hear the Whisper Men? The Whisper Men Are Near.

• Members

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:23 PM

You said that I DONT NEED ++notepad, but how can i edit it then???

Chimpso
  • Chimpso

• Members

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:57 AM

You DO need Notepad++ to edit the file outside the DYOM program.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users