» «
Photo

Daily Star eats humble pie

20 replies to this topic
CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:06 AM Edited by CharmingCharlie, 24 July 2010 - 01:35 AM.

Ok a few days ago I posted this picture in the funny pictures topic :-

user posted image

This was an honest to god story that was reported in the Daily Star "news"paper on Wednesday of this week. They really actually believed that Rockstar were developing a game called GTA Rothbury. They believed it so much that they even traumatised the 69 year old grand mother of one of the victims by showing her "Rockstars planned game". Needless to say it was an absolute load of sh*te and Rockstar never had any intention of developing a game like this (nor would any publisher in their right mind).

Anyway it seems that lawyers were hurled at the Daily Star by Rockstar and the Daily Star realising how stupid they have been have issued this apology :-

QUOTE ("Very busy Daily Star apologist")
ON 21 July we published an article claiming that the video games company Rockstar Games were planning to release a version of their popular Grand Theft Auto video games series titled “Grand Theft Auto Rothbury”.

We also published what we claimed would be the cover of this game, solicited comments from a family member impacted by the recent tragedy and criticised Rockstar Games for their alleged plans.

We made no attempt to check the accuracy of the story before publication and did not contact Rockstar Games prior to publishing the story. We also did not question why a best selling and critically acclaimed fictional games series would choose to base one of their most popular games on this horrifying real crime event.

It is now accepted that there were never any plans by Rockstar Games to publish such a game and that the story was false. We apologise for publishing the story using a mock-up of the game cover, our own comments on the matter and soliciting critical comments from a grieving family member.

We unreservedly apologise to Rockstar Games and we have undertaken not to repeat the claims again. We have also agreed to pay them a substantial amount in damages which they are donating to charity.

source
Direct Link to Daily Star apology

The author of the original story though was less than apologetic and had this to say on his facebook page :-

QUOTE ("Daily Star "reporter")
"These are grown (?!?) men who sit around all day playing computer games with one another who've today chosen to enter the real world just long enough to complain about my story slamming a Raoul Moat version of Grand Theft Auto!

"You would think I'd denied the Holocaust!!! Think I'...ll challenge them to a virtual reality duel....stab....I win!!!""

Not sure who is the childish one here wink.gif .

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

Horny

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:11 AM

Lol who was the original author? He sure seems to have the writing skills to report for a very low-brow tabloid newspaper...

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:17 AM Edited by CharmingCharlie, 24 July 2010 - 01:29 AM.

The original author was a guy called Jerry Lawton, I think this is a picture of him on this link :-

http://www.thesixtha...no-fights-back/

He really does look like the picture of "integrity" doesn't he. I think it is absolutely staggering that the Daily Star didn't for one minute think "ey up better check this out first".

Mand'alor
  • Mand'alor

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:23 AM

The sad thing is that c*nt won't be fired from writing for the paper.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:44 AM

They took the time to mock up a dummy box and ask people about it but they never went to the source? What kind of paper are they writing?

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:48 AM

Sad that Jordan and Alex Reid's marriage is on the rocks only two weeks after their TV wedding. Who are they btw?

I loved the quote:
We made no attempt to check the accuracy of the story before publication and did not contact Rockstar Games prior to publishing the story. We also did not question why a best selling and critically acclaimed fictional games series would choose to base one of their most popular games on this horrifying real crime event.

nice job guys

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown
  • Most Corrupt Staff 2014

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:59 AM

This is an OUTRAGE! Wait, isn't that a tabloid?

TheEazyDuzIt95
  • TheEazyDuzIt95

I sit back and tell my bus driver where to go

• Members

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:12 AM

How the f*ck did they fall for that? The video game cover is so obviously fake...

General Goose
  • General Goose

Because Jeb Bush is all in my house with disease.

• Members

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:30 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHA.....

Idiots. Moronic, stupid idiots.

Really makes me feel better about myself, knowing I'm not these people.

Runey
  • Runey

Boss

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:31 AM

He kind of looks like Slamman.

And that's not a good thing. At all.

Xboxless
  • Xboxless

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:09 AM

I like how he gets all teed off at gamers. He is just ranting to cover up his stupidity!

What a loser!

Weirdo.
  • Weirdo.

Some crazy stuff on that internet!

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE (Runey. @ Jul 23 2010, 19:31)
He kind of looks like Slamman.

And that's not a good thing. At all.

He looks more like that midget Will Ferrel keeps calling an elf in Elf.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:40 AM

This is how the tabloids work though isn't it? The guy may be a bit childish in the way he responded but eh people who work in the tabloid press are far from idiots; they simply know their audience and know what will sell papers. The only people who'll read this apology/retraction are those who were particularly outraged over the original story (read: us) and a large portion of the readership will have read the story, got a little offended ("Grr those bastard vidya gaymes!") and then skimmed past an apology cos they don't actually care about it.

That's just how it works: you print a story to get some attention and sell papers, then if someone calls you out on unsubstantiated claims you just print an apology in a tiny column somewhere deep in the paper. There'll never be a front page "We were wrong" story on the Sun or the Daily Star.

To be honest with you guys though, I'm going to study journalism at uni soon and I'd love to land myself a job writing for one of the tabloids for a bit. It may not be proper, "good" journalism but I bet it's a laugh. Most tabloid writers probably don't even believe what they write, it's just a like a game to most of them.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:39 AM

Well it is the Daily Star, what did we really expect from them. Just another example of how dumb the english newspapers can be over here at times.

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Zaibatsu

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:02 AM

What I don't understand it is why Rockstar where so light with them, if they wanted they could of ripped the f*ckers apart.

vinnygorgeous
  • vinnygorgeous

"Crash JP Morgan buy silver"

• Members

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:30 AM

What a c*nt! I hope they apologised to the gran they traumatised. As a journalist he is pathetic, and the editor and in house lawyer are also useless, I find it astounding that they would publish before fact checking or giving a right of reply, as I was always told- journalism is not an art its a trade, just follow the rules. I dunno why but this all makes me way more angry than it should do, think I'll have to go calm down and resist the urge to message the c*nt on facebook, the c*nting c*ntfaced c*nt.

Runey
  • Runey

Boss

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

Let's be honest here, what do you expect from a tabloid? Half the sh*t they print is made up.

lloydo
  • lloydo

Count

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:55 PM

Isn't that the poor mans newspaper?

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

Oh god, how retarded. Also, 'Daily Star: we don't report the facts, we craft it'.

Bernard Jazz
  • Bernard Jazz

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (lloydo @ Jul 24 2010, 13:55)
Isn't that the poor mans newspaper?

Not quite, it's the morons newspaper. The kind of person that deifies celebrities and spends half an hour looking at the contents on the 3rd page.
The chap that wrote the article seems to be very closed-minded towards gamers, wouldn't exactly trust him to write an article without prejudice.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (Runey. @ Jul 24 2010, 10:31)
Let's be honest here, what do you expect from a tabloid? Half the sh*t they print is made up.

Yeah but they interviewed an old lady who I suppose had been affected, leading her to believe that this game was real.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users