Photo

TV series general chat

1,776 replies to this topic
Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:02 PM

I'm having a resurgence in my interest in sci-fi, i'm thinking of starting Battlestar Galatcia. Would anybody recommend it.

Original series or remake?

The remake is amazing. Definitely a recommendation.
The remake, im glad you liked it, I believe there is a miniseries also, should I watch that before I start the series?

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
  • Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2016
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2014
    Second Best Alien

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:05 PM

Nah, it's technically a "prequel" but it's not important to the storyline.  Just start the regular show.

Also, The Expanse.  It's the best sci-fi show I've seen in forever, and I LOVED Battlestar.

• Neon_Dreaming likes this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:10 PM

Yeah, definitely watch the miniseries. It's pretty much the first few episodes of the show, and sets everything up.

Yeah, definitely watch the miniseries. It's pretty much the first few episodes of the show, and sets everything up.

Nah, it's technically a "prequel" but it's not important to the storyline.  Just start the regular show.

Also, The Expanse.  It's the best sci-fi show I've seen in forever, and I LOVED Battlestar.

I think you're thinking of "Blood and Chrome" or "Caprica". The miniseries consists of three parts that shows the destruction of Caprica and sets up the whole series from that point on.
  • AlienTwo and Neon_Dreaming like this

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:14 PM

Thank you @darthYENIK and @Alientwo, looking forward to starting it. I will check out the Expanse too.
  • AlienTwo likes this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
  • Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2016
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2014
    Second Best Alien

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:23 PM

Yeah, I was thinking of Caprica.  I watched BSG live back on Sci-fi, I guess I didn't realize it started with a mini-series.  Anything that has Commander Adama in it is a must watch.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:50 PM

Yeah, I ran into that problem when I rewatched the whole thing through Netflix a long time ago. The streaming side had the series proper, but I needed to get the blue ray for the miniseries through the mail. They eventually put the miniseries on the streaming side, but then took both away, at least in the US.

fast and bulbous squid
  • fast and bulbous squid

you can call me... SUPERLIGHTDUSKMASTER99

• Members
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:01 AM

Not sure why, but I was watching some episodes of Spongebob's newest season. After seeing how bad the show got after the movie (there were some good episodes here and there, but lots of infuriating ones) I was pleasantly surprised that the few episodes I watched were really good. It seems like the show might be getting back in the swing of things, which is nice to see.

Noale
  • Noale

I DID NOT HIT HER I DID NOT OH HI MARK

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:35 AM

Spongebob is still going on? Thought it was all reruns at this point. Then again, I'm a little too old to have continued following it.  :lol:

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:24 AM

Oh my god. They're bringing Roseanne back.

And Dan isn't dead!

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:28 PM

Oh my god. They're bringing Roseanne back.

And Dan isn't dead!

is the one dude from Big Bang theory going to be able to get out of his contract to join Roseanne

gtaoplayer
  • gtaoplayer

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 May 2017 - 06:23 PM

After all these years... That 70's Show still does it for me every time. Lol

Arrow
  • Arrow

• Facade
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:48 PM

Has anyone watched the War Machine (Brad Pitt starer) pilot yet? From what I hear it's an over-stuffed, grossly exaggerated performance, anointed by cheesy ‘grey’ makeup.

JASONROCKS1998
  • JASONROCKS1998

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:52 PM

Recently caught up with all 2 seasons of iZombie (as well as every episode of Season 3 thus far) on Netflix and it is probably my favorite show on TV right now. Absolutely incredible show with exceptional acting (especially from Rose McIver) that I find to be a little underrated. Just gets better with every episode, and does a great job of fitting both the procedural murder cases alongside the season long story arcs into each episode. 

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:14 PM

Has anyone watched the War Machine (Brad Pitt starer) pilot yet? From what I hear it's an over-stuffed, grossly exaggerated performance, anointed by cheesy ‘grey’ makeup.

Pretty sure that's a movie, not a TV show. Planning on watching it soon - I really enjoy Pitt's work.

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:09 PM Edited by feckyerlife, 01 June 2017 - 03:09 PM.

its Nelfix's first movie bomb, but i guess thats want they want since Reed Hastings says Netflix need more failures than hits.

Mukkus
  • Mukkus

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:45 AM

Thank you @darthYENIK and @Alientwo, looking forward to starting it. I will check out the Expanse too.

You might like the remake of V, if you haven't seen it yet

GrudgefromSanAndreas
  • GrudgefromSanAndreas

Straight outta Pluton's Ass

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:58 AM

Is there any spy fiction movie set in the future or fantasy like WOW and LOL? I'm curious if (James Bond style) secret agents would fit in Star Wars/Trek or World of Warcraft. Never played WOW tho, watched some yt videos, most are boring af. Srsly i see only JB trailers' audio in WOW videos

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:39 PM

Is there any spy fiction movie set in the future or fantasy like WOW and LOL? I'm curious if (James Bond style) secret agents would fit in Star Wars/Trek or World of Warcraft. Never played WOW tho, watched some yt videos, most are boring af. Srsly i see only JB trailers' audio in WOW videos

Rogue One?

GrudgefromSanAndreas
  • GrudgefromSanAndreas

Straight outta Pluton's Ass

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:07 AM

Of course! But i didn't watch that movie. My town doesnt have a movie theater/cinema and i cant afford Netflix. Will have to travel to a bigger town or city...

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:58 AM

There was a few episodes of The Adventures of Pete and Pete on TV today.

That show is way underrated. Just excellent.
  • Arrow likes this

Arrow
  • Arrow

• Facade
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:53 AM

Started watching Designated Survivor. It seems good so far. Saw some ads about it on Netflix earlier this week.

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:06 PM Edited by Neon_Dreaming, 19 June 2017 - 04:07 PM.

So I finished Battlestar Galactica, It was great. I would strongly recommend it to anyone with an interest in Sci-Fi. Such a quality show which kept me engrossed throughout.

So Say We All.
  • Mister Pink, AlienTwo and GrudgefromSanAndreas like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:14 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 08 July 2017 - 09:14 PM.

Been meaning to watch that for years ^  Glad you liked it. 

So, Nelsan Ellis who plays Lafayette in True Blood died from heart failure. I never watched True Blood but I did always love this scene... 

• darthYENIK and Neon_Dreaming like this

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:20 PM

Yeah it's a really good show, well worth a watch imo. I would definately recommend it. Recently i've been finding it hard to concentrate and enjoy films/tv as much for some reason. Battlestar was the antidote to that. I binged it and was engrossed throughout.

If you're interested in watching consider starting with the mini-series which is about 3 hours long. You don't have to watch it but it helps set the scene and then you'll know if Battlestar is for you.
  • Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:27 PM

Yeah it's a really good show, well worth a watch imo. I would definately recommend it. Recently i've been finding it hard to concentrate and enjoy films/tv as much for some reason. Battlestar was the antidote to that. I binged it and was engrossed throughout.

If you're interested in watching consider starting with the mini-series which is about 3 hours long. You don't have to watch it but it helps set the scene and then you'll know if Battlestar is for you.

Excellent, I'll give it go. I might start the mini series tonight. :D

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:56 AM

So, Nelsan Ellis who plays Lafayette in True Blood died from heart failure. I never watched True Blood but I did always love this scene... 

https://www.youtube....h?v=5Ff_6VsRuas

That f*cking sucks. He was the best part of that show at times. Too f*cking young.
  • Mister Pink likes this

Rebel Yell
  • Rebel Yell

Roots Radicals

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:42 AM Edited by Loosestring, 27 July 2017 - 07:27 PM.

So, it's the summer which means I can go back watching long-standing TV series again. The Wire - check! The Sopranos - check! I actually had The Shield in my mind, but I decided to give it a pass in favour of Boardwalk Empire. It seems really tempting when you love Steve Buscemi's acting. Just recently finished Season 1... Brilliant, plain brilliant. I'm actually more of a solid fiction guy, in other words I don't really like that much when they involve historical figures without parodying in fiction works - be it a TV show, a movie or a video game... Boardwalk Empire is full of (criminally) historical figures - basic examples including Al Capone and his boss Johnny Torrio, Jewish mobster Arnold Rothstein with a young, hot-headed "Lucky" Luciano as his protege. However, Boardwalk Empire shines out, intensifying these real-life figures instead of just carbon-copying them. In spite of being less than action-packed, Season 1 was exciting and thrilling... and it seems that sh*t is gonna hit the fan in the next season... can't wait.

Besides...

- Stephen Graham is perfect as Al Capone.

- Nucky Thompson and Jimmy Darmody shine out as kind of more likeable, less hypocritical versions of Tony Soprano and Christopher Moltisanti... but the Season 1 finale indicates otherwise. 

- Nelson Van Alden is such a f*ckshow... one crazy, creepy S.O.B. 

- Michael K. Williams as Chalky White is awesome, but he needs more screentime.

- The guy who plays Arnold Rothstein is such a talented actor.

- Eli Thompson is a fun character to hate. The reason is that the the role fits the actor just right in, IMO.

- I'm not too fond of Luciano. I probably need to give him some more time. 

• Mister Pink likes this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:21 PM

I started watching Breaking Bad again.

Watching the beginning of that show makes you really appreciate how great it is. Every character you look at so differently at the start, than you do at the end. Hank is an asshole, but the journey you go with him over the whole show is pretty great. You go from thinking, "I hope this guy gets shot" to "I hope they don't shoot him". He's the anti-Walter White. Our perception of him goes from bad to good, but at the same time, he doesn't change too much, he just is shown in a different light, goes through some hard stuff, and makes some tough decisions. But he's still the same guy, maybe a bit more seasoned of a DEA. And all the characters are kind of like that. Your initial perception is that of two dimensional. That's how our brains work. We make a first impression in our minds, and through experience we form a full perception.

It's the best show I've ever watched. Better Call Saul is right up there, too, but a bit less dark. Not that darkness is a sign of a great show, and the finale had a pretty dark moment, but I like seeing normal people get put in very f*cked up situations. Like the acid bathtub and Crazy 8 in the basement episode in Breaking Bad (which I just watched).
  • Mister Pink, AlienTwo and Rafae like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:42 PM

So, it's the summer which means I can go back watching long-standing TV series again. The Wire - check! The Sopranos - check! I actually had The Shield in my mind, but I decided to give it a pass in favour of Boardwalk Empire. It seems really tempting when you love Steve Buscemi's acting. Just recently finished Season 1... Brilliant, plain brilliant. I'm actually more of a solid fiction guy, in other words I don't really like that much when they involve historical figures without parodying in fiction works - be it a TV show, a movie or a video game... Boardwalk Empire is full of (criminally) historical figures - basic examples including Al Capone and his boss Johnny Torrio, Jewish mobster Arnold Rothstein with a young, hot-headed "Lucky" Luciano as his protege. However, Boardwalk Empire shines out, intensifying these real-life figures instead of just carbon-copying them. In spite of being less than action-packed, Season 1 was exciting and thrilling... and it seems that sh*t is gonna hit the fan in the next season... can't wait.

Besides...

- Stephen Graham is perfect as Al Capone.

- Nucky Thompson and Jimmy Darmody shine out as kind of more likeable, less hypocritical versions of Tony Soprano and Christopher Moltisanti... but the Season 1 finale indicates otherwise. 

- Nelson Van Alden is such a f*ckshow... one crazy, creepy S.O.B. 

- Michael K. Williams as Chalky White is awesome, but he needs more screentime.

- The guy who plays Arnold Rothstein is such a talented actor.

- Eli Thompson is a fun character to hate. The reason is that the the role fits the actor just right in, IMO.

- I'm not too fond of Luciano. I probably need to give him some more time. 

Dude, Boardwalk Empire is up with the greats. I'm glad you liked Season 1. Some of the best characters and story are ahead of you yet. I wont give an ounce of any spoilers. But yeah, you pointed out a lot of the great points about the show. It's highly underrated, probably the most underrated TV show given it's production value, cast and writing. 

Just found out that John Heard died yesterday. Liked him Home Alone films and of course The Sopranos.. 

• AlienTwo likes this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:26 AM Edited by Leftist Bastard, 25 July 2017 - 11:56 AM.

TheExpanse.jpg

.......is fantastic! seriously. It's like Star Trek meets Blade Runner; and it has Thomas Jane in the lead! and Adam Jensen! it's an interesting world with a lot of intrigue and lots of social and political dynamics - the slums are vivid and well realized and so is the utopia of future Earth and a colony turned rival nation that is Mars. The characters are well written and developed [other than Amos, seriously f*ck that guy] lots of great attention to details and while it might be slightly uneven near the first half of the first season it's overall really, really well done and scratched my sci fi/cyberpunk itch.

Just started S2. Here's hoping it's better or just as good.

• Grae and AlienTwo like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users