Photo

TV series general chat

1,675 replies to this topic
Arrow
  • Arrow

• Facade Corporation
  • European-Union

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:53 AM

Just watched the latest episode of Sherlock.

F*cking christ that was awesome, probably by favourite episode yet.

Yeah, it was really good. Gatiss has been doing a really great work in changing to a darker tone. I'm really thrilled for the next episode.

XXI
  • XXI

Unnie

• Daily Globe
  • Wales
  • Best New Member 2015

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:36 AM Edited by XXI, 10 January 2017 - 10:38 AM.

Rant about last night's episode of ANTM

Spoiler

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Everything You Do Is A Balloon

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:23 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 10 January 2017 - 06:40 PM.

Going to start watching The Wire, heard it's excellent but takes a while to get going and become invested in it.

This is true because they immediately use names of people that you haven't even met yet so it's a little frustrating but at the same time The Wire is never patronizing. It assumes the viewer is intelligent to pick it up and once you do the pay-off is very rewarding. All the creative production choices were great and can really be justified. One that comes to mind is a deliberate non-use of recaps at the start of the episodes as it's doesn't portray life as realistically. Life is always moving forward. Another is music in the show is only heard from cars and houses, never as a soundtrack.

The Wire was originally going to be a book written by it's creators and was developed in to a TV show. Ed Burns, the co-creator is an ex Baltimore cop so he had an inside scoop on bureaucracy, corruptions and struggles officers of the law have with just trying to do their job. Equally, you get to see as much screen time for streets and drug trade and how characters both sides of the law are corrupt and morally grey. They often use real locals some being ex-criminals themselves and a lot of the characters are based on real people. 

It's obviously a crime drama but it can be hilarious at times. Not because it's looking for cheap laughs but because it's great at showing the gritty realism as well as the human nature of things and people can be funny even in the hardest of times or situations.

It's often cited as one of the most, if not the most realistic TV depiction law/crime show. It's also fully of little philosophies that give plenty of food for thought. 

I hope you enjoy it, I know you'll give it the good chance it deserves. 

I'll warn you though, it can be quite good and layered, like a book that when you watch something else after it, it can seem sh*t in comparison. Unfortunately The Wire and shows like The Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire sort of raised this bar for me that I can't help but compare other shows to them. 

Here's a nice little scene from season 1 where the analogy of Chess is made to the drug game. 

• Neon_Dreaming likes this

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:46 PM

Going to start watching The Wire, heard it's excellent but takes a while to get going and become invested in it.

This is true because they immediately use names of people that you haven't even met yet so it's a little frustrating but at the same time The Wire is never patronizing. It assumes the viewer is intelligent to pick it up and once you do the pay-off is very rewarding. All the creative production choices were great and can really be justified. One that comes to mind is a deliberate non-use of recaps at the start of the episodes as it's doesn't portray life as realistically. Life is always moving forward. 

The Wire was originally going to be a book written by it's creators and was developed in to a TV show. Ed Burns, the co-creator is an ex Baltimore cop so he had an inside scoop on bureaucracy, corruptions and struggles officers of the law have with just trying to do their job. Equally, you get to see as much screen time for streets and drug trade and how characters both sides of the law are corrupt and morally grey. They often use real locals some being ex-criminals themselves and a lot of the characters are based on real people. 

It's obviously a crime drama but it can be hilarious at times. Not because it's looking for cheap laughs but because it's great at showing the gritty realism as well as the human nature of things and people can be funny even in the hardest of times or situations.

It's often cited as one of the most, if not the most realistic TV depiction law/crime show. It's also fully of little philosophies that give plenty of food for thought. 

I hope you enjoy it, I know you'll give it the good chance it deserves. 

I'll warn you though, it can be quite good and layered, like a book that when you watch something else after it, it can seem sh*t in comparison. Unfortunately The Wire and shows like The Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire sort of raised this bar for me that I can't help but compare other shows to them. 

Here's a nice little scene from season 1 where the analogy of Chess is made to the drug game. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=N8lyda_ZkLQ
Thank you for the info, im looking forward to watching it even more now, the fact that a former Baltimore cop is the co-creator is very interesting, it sounds almost like a fly on the wall documentary with the lack of recaps. I like it when a show is challenging and assumes the viewer will know what's going on, it makes the viewing more enjoyable. It also shows a confidence in the writing of the show which I like. I'm on mobile without earphones so I'l check out the clip later. I've heard that The Sopranos and The Wire are the best crime dramas out there. I've seen The Sopranos so this weekend I'm going to start the Wire.
  • Mister Pink likes this

XXI
  • XXI

Unnie

• Daily Globe
  • Wales
  • Best New Member 2015

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:00 PM

Krislian got sent home instead of awkward one trick pony Kyle, f*cking shocking tbh.

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:48 PM

the expanse season 2 feb 1

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 4 weeks ago

Samurai Jack is back!

March 11th.

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The creature that could this doesn't have a soul

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 4 weeks ago

Has anyone watched the Scream TV series on Netflix? Just started episode 1 last night. So far so good.

I watched the first episode but I wasn't feeling it, never went back to it tbh. Please let me know if it's actually worth giving it a chance though 

America's Next Top Model? More like Instagram's Next Top Model, amIrite?

seriously, Bring back Tyra as host and Miss J as judge. I don't think Rita is a good host and needs to f*ck off

I was losing a bit of interest, but the final episodes were really good and had me hooked. Now I'm onto season 2.

I think it does a good job keeping a nostalgic tone with the movies, but does its own thing.

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Members
  • Syria

Posted 3 weeks ago

No one's watching Taboo? the period drama with Tom Hardy?

Was a bit slow to start but by god was episode 4 insane. Its picking up now and this was easily the best episode since the pilot, really interested in seeing where the show is going and the concept and performances are just utterly engrossing.

I finished Mad Men recently and I don't really know how I feel about that ending. Band of Brothers is another show i'v been meaning to watch that I finally got around to; stellar from start to finish. Episode 6 is one of my favorite episodes of any TV show, period.

• krypt0s likes this

Achlys
  • Achlys

You're Dying to Be With Me

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 3 weeks ago

Band of Brothers is another show i'v been meaning to watch that I finally got around to; stellar from start to finish. Episode 6 is one of my favorite episodes of any TV show, period.

I've always wanted to watch that show, do you know where I can watch it for free online?

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Members
  • Syria

Posted 3 weeks ago

Band of Brothers is another show i'v been meaning to watch that I finally got around to; stellar from start to finish. Episode 6 is one of my favorite episodes of any TV show, period.

I've always wanted to watch that show, do you know where I can watch it for free online?

Try Putlocker. That's where I get most of my shows/films from.

• Mister Pink and Achlys like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Everything You Do Is A Balloon

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Mister Pink, 3 weeks ago.

I thought Putlocker was taken down? 

EDIT: Ah.. I see it's back :D

http://putlockers.ch/

XXI
  • XXI

Unnie

• Daily Globe
  • Wales
  • Best New Member 2015

Posted 3 weeks ago

ugh i can't stand Rita Ora as the new ANTM host, she has ZERO personality. bring back Tyra!

• Kushology and Achlys like this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Anyone watch Powerless?

I had low expectations, and it's slightly funnier than I thought it would be, but it's still held back by the same thing every DC comics show is, which is they can never go all out and have Superman, or Batman, or any big name DC characters be a big part of the show. Crimson Fox and Jack O Lantern don't count. The only big name to show up is Joker, for two seconds, who has a bag over his head as the police take him away, as if he's being kidnapped by terrorists.

Great concept, but DC/WB do not have the balls to pull it off in the way it should be.

Diani The Otter
  • Diani The Otter

Two Steps From Hell

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 2 weeks ago

Just discovered Archer. Where has this been all my life!?

The Gardener
  • The Gardener

jebeno isti

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Can someone suggest a series to me please. I've hit a rut of starting shows and stopping because they're disinteresting.

The only shows I've ever made it through are the Sopranos, the Wire, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and Sons of Anarchy (though the last two seasons were terrible and I only stuck it out because of the time I'd already put in).

I made it through two seasons of deadwood but found it hard to follow partly because of the complexity of the plot but mainly because I'm hard of hearing and couldn't decipher half the sentences they characters spoke. (No subtitles, good job Sky)

I made it 5 episodes into Vikings. Gave up. Convinced a 15 year old wrote some of the dialogue.
2 episodes into Borgias. Tries too hard to be intriguing and the actor who plays the popes son is rubbish .
Not interested in Better Call Saul until it's finished. (Not interested in forgetting the plot each time a new seasons comes along)
Gave up 5 minutes into Of God's and prophets because a middle aged man with a Cockney accent pparently living in Bethlehem 1000 BC passes me off.

I'm leaning towards Mad Men or Boardwalk Empire. Is Mad Men all about advertising, or is there other good plot points and characterisation? And I've heard Boardwalk Empire is as gritty as Sopranos and wire except boring as hell.

Any suggestions?
  • El Diablo likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by El Diablo, 2 weeks ago.

you haven't seen Boardwalk Empire yet??

f/cking do it now.

it's awesome. it's not boring. it's deliberate. they don't do fast paced jump cuts. they let scenes unfold and allow actors to act instead of just saying lines. it's really beautiful. you can feel characters breathe and move within the space. it might seem to start slow but it's very purposeful character development which has huge implications as the story unfolds and picks up pace. the blending of historical accuracy with dramatic fiction is about as perfect as I've ever seen in a period piece like this.

also, Boardwalk is way better than Mad Men.

this doesn't mean Mad Men is bad, but Empire is way above it.

• Arthur Fookin Shelby likes this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Members
  • Syria

Posted 2 weeks ago

I know this is only tangentially related to TV chat but what do you all think of a possible John Wick TV series?

http://www.denofgeek...being-discussed

There is a lot of uncharted territory they could use for a TV show. But at the same time part of the magic of John Wick is the way its set up where in there is a sense of familiarity between all the characters involved and the mystery of that world; and the movies don't linger on needless eposition and what have you. It's a fast paced action movie with an interesting world as a backdrop, and I don't know how well that would work out in an episodic format.

So i'm torn. One part of me wants to see a prequel deepen the mythology and see things like John's early days as an assassin, the impossible task the Russian mafia boss gave him when he wanted out etc and a part of me wants to keep it in the dark.

The Gardener
  • The Gardener

jebeno isti

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

you haven't seen Boardwalk Empire yet??

f/cking do it now.
it's awesome. it's not boring. it's deliberate. they don't do fast paced jump cuts. they let scenes unfold and allow actors to act instead of just saying lines. it's really beautiful. you can feel characters breathe and move within the space. it might seem to start slow but it's very purposeful character development which has huge implications as the story unfolds and picks up pace. the blending of historical accuracy with dramatic fiction is about as perfect as I've ever seen in a period piece like this.

https://www.youtube....h?v=nND3a64a8qk

also, Boardwalk is way better than Mad Men.
this doesn't mean Mad Men is bad, but Empire is way above it.

Just watched the pilot and can already tell I'm going to enjoy it. The gangsters seem believable which is something not enough serials do (this was thing Breaking Bad did badly for me).

I doubt it will happen, but I hope there's some more superb portrayal of Irish-Americans as was the case in the pilot. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • El Diablo likes this

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by feckyerlife, 2 weeks ago.

Can someone suggest a series to me please. I've hit a rut of starting shows and stopping because they're disinteresting.

The only shows I've ever made it through are the Sopranos, the Wire, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and Sons of Anarchy (though the last two seasons were terrible and I only stuck it out because of the time I'd already put in).

I made it through two seasons of deadwood but found it hard to follow partly because of the complexity of the plot but mainly because I'm hard of hearing and couldn't decipher half the sentences they characters spoke. (No subtitles, good job Sky)

I made it 5 episodes into Vikings. Gave up. Convinced a 15 year old wrote some of the dialogue.
2 episodes into Borgias. Tries too hard to be intriguing and the actor who plays the popes son is rubbish .
Not interested in Better Call Saul until it's finished. (Not interested in forgetting the plot each time a new seasons comes along)
Gave up 5 minutes into Of God's and prophets because a middle aged man with a Cockney accent pparently living in Bethlehem 1000 BC passes me off.

I'm leaning towards Mad Men or Boardwalk Empire. Is Mad Men all about advertising, or is there other good plot points and characterisation? And I've heard Boardwalk Empire is as gritty as Sopranos and wire except boring as hell.

Any suggestions?

Boardwalk is good but not on soprano's level, if you need action mad men isnt for you, i personally didnt like it. it would be better to tell us what you are into so people could make suggestions. you seemed to like gangster shows, which there arent many good ones, brotherhood was probably the only other decent one but it ended up getting cancelled because it couldnt compete with sopranos, but that show was about the irish mob.

based off what you listed as you finished.  i would suggest- Pinky Blinders, Strikeback, Animal Kingdom, The Killing, Power, Bosch, Burn Notice. 

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 2 weeks ago

Burn Notice is an underrated show that doesn't really get the credit it deserves.

• feckyerlife likes this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Strike Back is easily the best action TV show of all time. I'm not being a hyperbolic millennial, I honestly believe it's the greatest action TV show ever.
  • feckyerlife likes this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Members
  • Syria

Posted 2 weeks ago

Any suggestions?

Mad Men is not only about advertising, although that part of the show is VERY enjoyable IMO. Its more about the people than the business; and despite a few missteps in the last 2 seasons its an incredible, incredible show.

Diani The Otter
  • Diani The Otter

Two Steps From Hell

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 3 days ago

I just recently got into the show Gotham. Can someone explain to me why the sky is always grey and cloudy? It doesn't seem to be winter during the show so I can't figure out why it is

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 2 days ago

That whole show has a certain aesthetic. Almost like it's a world out of time. They have cell phones, but all the cars are 30+ years old, and the way people dress is very retro.

It's all stylistic decisions.
  • Diani The Otter likes this

Diani The Otter
  • Diani The Otter

Two Steps From Hell

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 2 days ago

That's pretty cool. I really enjoy the show. I feel pretty bad for Penguin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users