Wimbledon 2011

44 replies to this topic
Brown Sugar
  • Brown Sugar

turnt up

• Members
  • Ethiopia

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:07 AM

So i went to wimbledon for the first time just yesterday and the first tennis match i ever go to Federer gets knocked out in wimbledon for the first time in years before the final, the murray match was also exciting. did anybody else go this year or any previous years if so then what did you think of it?

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Winner of Euro 2008 Prediction League

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:37 AM

I think Fed's dominance is coming to an end, like previous champions like McEnroe, Becker and Sampras the game moves on and a new style of play takes over. It's just the cycle of tennis, there's some decent young players coming through.

Me and a group of mates always had plans to travel down to Wimbledon for a few days but nothing ever come of it unfortunately.

ldee
  • ldee

Hustler

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:07 PM

Screw Nadal's stiff, robotic and bull-charging kind of playstyle. I'm a fan of Murray and the tall and hard hitting Berdych. A win for Nole wouldn't be bad either.

JoeyLeone25
  • JoeyLeone25

AMF Elder

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:06 PM

Originally the 2010 topic, but because it was only on the second page with two replies, I thought I'd change the name and see if we can get some activity going in it for the next two weeks. So, err, Wimbledon started yesterday, I'm not a huge supporter of Tennis, but it is a sport that I will watch if it's on television. Didn't see any of the matches except for Nadal's, who despite a little blip in the first set looked, well, unstoppable. Personally, I think he's going to be the player to beat if anybody else is looking to take home the Wimbledon crown.

Brown Sugar
  • Brown Sugar

turnt up

• Members
  • Ethiopia

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:12 PM

I watched a bit of the Murray match and when I turned it on he was 1 set down which was surprising, but at least he won, after winning queens I think he could do very well this year.

Wrong Kind
  • Wrong Kind

Louis van Gaal's red and white army!

• Members
  • British-Antarctic-Territory
  • Most Knowledgeable [Sports] 2013

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (JoeyLeone25 @ Tuesday, Jun 21 2011, 14:06)
Originally the 2010 topic, but because it was only on the second page with two replies, I thought I'd change the name and see if we can get some activity going in it for the next two weeks. So, err, Wimbledon started yesterday, I'm not a huge supporter of Tennis, but it is a sport that I will watch if it's on television. Didn't see any of the matches except for Nadal's, who despite a little blip in the first set looked, well, unstoppable. Personally, I think he's going to be the player to beat if anybody else is looking to take home the Wimbledon crown.

I agree Nadal Is the player to beat. I'm backing him to win It or even Djokovic. I'm huge fan of Djokovic and he Is good solid tennis and It's about time he won Wimbledon.

Now for Murray I don't think he is going to win It. I reckon he will maybe get to the Semi-Final and run Into Nadel I mean Murray could beat Nadal that's If Nadal Is playing average and Murray pushes himself to the superb level then there could be a upset on the cards. I don't think Federer Is going to win It, I think he will be like Murray; get to Semi-Final and run Into a player (maybe Djokovic) and the other player will beat him.

That's the way I see It icon14.gif

Josh
  • Josh

Raus Raus Fila Fila

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:59 PM

I really dislike Andy Murray, I'd much rather anyone else won than him I guess.

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:34 PM

Aww the Isner-Mahut match didn't last as long as last years match tounge.gif .

Thought Mahut could have taken it to a 4th set as he took the 3rd set to 6-6 but he lost the tie breaker.

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (Josh @ Tuesday, Jun 21 2011, 18:59)

I dislike Nadal for some reason, Federer all the way.

Wrong Kind
  • Wrong Kind

Louis van Gaal's red and white army!

• Members
  • British-Antarctic-Territory
  • Most Knowledgeable [Sports] 2013

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:44 AM

QUOTE (Josh @ Tuesday, Jun 21 2011, 19:59)

He's alright but I would like to see him win Wimbledon other than that I'm too fussed about Murray.

Djokovic all the way!

Carter.Slade
  • Carter.Slade

A Dark Passenger

• Members

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE (El Zilcho @ Tuesday, Jun 21 2011, 20:14)
QUOTE (Josh @ Tuesday, Jun 21 2011, 18:59)

I dislike Nadal for some reason, Federer all the way.

1UP icon14.gif

JoeyLeone25
  • JoeyLeone25

AMF Elder

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (Josh @ Tuesday, Jun 21 2011, 19:59)

That's interesting because recently a lot of my friends and family members have told me that they're not fond of Murray, nor do they wish to see him win Wimbledon due to his arrogance. Personally, I'd like to see him win just to see British tennis get back on the map for a second, however, honestly, unless he somehow manages to avoid (i.e. they pull out with injury or get knocked out before) Nadal, Federer, Berdych, Djokovic and Soderling, I don't think it will happen, because just like Henman before him, at the minute he's just not good enough.

Josh
  • Josh

Raus Raus Fila Fila

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (JoeyLeone25 @ Wednesday, Jun 22 2011, 11:11)
That's interesting because recently a lot of my friends and family members have told me that they're not fond of Murray, nor do they wish to see him win Wimbledon due to his arrogance. Personally, I'd like to see him win just to see British tennis get back on the map for a second, however, honestly, unless he somehow manages to avoid (i.e. they pull out with injury or get knocked out before) Nadal, Federer, Berdych, Djokovic and Soderling, I don't think it will happen, because just like Henman before him, at the minute he's just not good enough.

I'd rather somebody who I liked won Wimbledon I guess. At least Henman brought people together with his mediocrity, Murray just angers people.

JoeyLeone25
  • JoeyLeone25

AMF Elder

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (Josh @ Wednesday, Jun 22 2011, 21:59)
QUOTE (JoeyLeone25 @ Wednesday, Jun 22 2011, 11:11)

I'd rather somebody who I liked won Wimbledon I guess. At least Henman brought people together with his mediocrity, Murray just angers people.

True, even though personally I just look beyond his arrogance and try to enjoy his tennis instead, which on his day is pretty damn good (that is unless he starts losing and therefore brings out that old chestnut of "it was going good until my knee started to give way"). Still, I think most people will be happy because bar a miracle, it's unlikely (in my opinion anyway) that he will beat Federer, Nadal or Djokovic on the grass courts this year. Also, not to stay rambling on about Murray for too long, but yesterday I was 'watching' BBC Live Text Commentary on Wimbledon Day 3, and the bloke doing it (along with a few TV personalities as they were quoted) was complaining that Murray should have been on Centre Court rather than Court 1.

Now, their argument was that Murray is the bigger draw being British, but personally I found that to be hugely disrespectful to Tennis in general, especially coming from those that comment/have played the game! They even suggested that Andy Roddick (three-time Wimbledon finalist) should have been replaced on Centre with Murray (two-time Semi-Finalist), because he would have made for not only a bigger draw, but also a more competitive match for the fans. Which was instantly debunked as Roddick beat the 127th Hanescu 6-4, 6-3, 6-4, while Murray's 'competitive match' saw him also win in straight sets against the 83rd seed Kamke. If anything, I can now see why everybody hates Andy Murray, it's because of his talent or arrogance, it's because the bloody BBC doesn't shut up about him for whole weeks!

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:25 PM Edited by Seddo, 24 June 2011 - 06:29 PM.

The first Murray f*ck ups have already happened early on in the first set, had 3 break points and failed them all and then also lost a couple of break points during 40-40. He's just been broke himself 40 love.

This Ljubicic can really hit a ball.

Edit: Murray just broke back straight away haha.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:16 PM

I'm not trying to barge in being all feminist here, but the likes of Serena and Venus Williams are always pushed from centre to lower courts, and the amount of times they've both won singles and doubles at Wimbledon is much higher than some men. For example right now Serena is reigning champion and she is playing her match on Court 1, while Murray is on centre court playing Gasquet, neither have ever won.

I always feel the need to cheer Brits on in these sports, but inside I hope Nadal gets it this year, he seems the least cocky of all the top male seeds.

Josh
  • Josh

Raus Raus Fila Fila

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:43 PM

So you are saying that a match involving the 7th and 9th seeds of the women's game should be placed above the 4th seed in the men's game?

What pisses me off is the fact that Serena and Venus think they have the God-given right to be on the top 2 courts. Neither of them are in the top 5 seeds of the women's game right now and normally only the top 4 get a centre-berth, not to mention the fact that neither of them have played regularly over the last year. Plus, not trying to be a chauvinist but for all of its merits the women's game is much weaker than the men's game.

All she really accomplished with her little rant was that now everybody has realised what a terrible moaner she is. I'm watching Bartoli beating her right now and I am enjoying it immensely...

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:12 PM Edited by Seddo, 27 June 2011 - 02:17 PM.

Serena need not worry about court placements anymore, bye bye tounge.gif .

Just got in from work and have only seen the last few games of the Murray-Gasquet match and Murray has hit some fantastic shots, cross court winners, down the line winners, drop shots...

Edit: ...and Murray just goes through to the QF's.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:29 PM Edited by MissCloud, 27 June 2011 - 02:37 PM.

QUOTE (Josh @ Monday, Jun 27 2011, 14:43)
So you are saying that a match involving the 7th and 9th seeds of the women's game should be placed above the 4th seed in the men's game?

If it involves a reigning champion, then yes. It doesn't just happen with the women's. When was the last time Federer played on a court other than centre? He is seeded two places below Nadal, also reigning champion, yet Nadal's last match was rain delayed by a day because he was on court 1.

And 'not trying to be chauvinist but women's match is weaker than men's' give me a break rolleyes.gif

Edit: The commentary was just saying how surprising it is that Federer's 4th round match will be on court 1, that its usually automatic he's on centre!

Josh
  • Josh

Raus Raus Fila Fila

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (MissCloud @ Monday, Jun 27 2011, 15:29)
QUOTE (Josh @ Monday, Jun 27 2011, 14:43)

If it involves a reigning champion, then yes. It doesn't just happen with the women's. When was the last time Federer played on a court other than centre? He is seeded two places below Nadal, also reigning champion, yet Nadal's last match was rain delayed by a day because he was on court 1.

And 'not trying to be chauvinist but women's match is weaker than men's' give me a break rolleyes.gif

That flies in the face of all logic. The reigning champion doesn't have the divine right to play on centre court for either of the two genders. The idea is that the games of the top four seeds are played evenly between the top two courts and that there is a trickle-down effect so that some fifth seeds and below get their day in the sun on centre too. If you start handing out free passes to both Champions to play on centre all of the time when they aren't in the top seed group then you are simply cheating better players on paper out of playing on the better courts.

Federer is playing Mikhail Youzhny tonight on court one, you just may not have heard about it because he wasn't throwing his toys out of the pram. And as for Nadal being rain delayed that was because on paper Federer's match was a closer encounter. He was playing Nalbandian, who is a seed, whereas Nadal was playing Muller, who isn't. Therefore the schedulers had the choice between putting a match which could potentially be a contest on centre or just watching Nadal destroy an unseeded player. In the end both players won in straight sets but it was a definite conscientious decision to place Nadal on one because they new that he was just going to walk all over Muller.

And is women's tennis not weaker than men's? I need evidence... tounge.gif

In response to your edit: Federer normally plays on court one twice per tournament.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (Josh @ Monday, Jun 27 2011, 16:02)
That flies in the face of all logic. The reigning champion doesn't have the divine right to play on centre court for either of the two genders. The idea is that the games of the top four seeds are played evenly between the top two courts and that there is a trickle-down effect so that some fifth seeds and below get their day in the sun on centre too. If you start handing out free passes to both Champions to play on centre all of the time when they aren't in the top seed group then you are simply cheating better players on paper out of playing on the better courts.

Federer is playing Mikhail Youzhny tonight on court one, you just may not have heard about it because he wasn't throwing his toys out of the pram. And as for Nadal being rain delayed that was because on paper Federer's match was a closer encounter. He was playing Nalbandian, who is a seed, whereas Nadal was playing Muller, who isn't. Therefore the schedulers had the choice between putting a match which could potentially be a contest on centre or just watching Nadal destroy an unseeded player. In the end both players won in straight sets but it was a definite conscientious decision to place Nadal on one because they new that he was just going to walk all over Muller.

And is women's tennis not weaker than men's? I need evidence... tounge.gif

In response to your edit: Federer normally plays on court one twice per tournament.

I understand what you're saying about seeded players etc, it is only fair that lower seeded players get to play on a big stage at some point; but its the fact that players like Federer aren't moved for them, the reigning champions and everyone else in between are. You say he only plays court one twice per tournament ... how is that fair when at the moment he is third seed and still gets centre for every other match? OK I may be a little biased as I find him too cocky but that's just my opinion lol. In terms of the organisers knowing top seeds destroy lower seeds, look at Bernard Tomic, playing really well and reached the quarter finals today and he isn't even seeded.

At the end of the day it doesn't make a difference to me as I'm only watching from my living room, I was just adding to the topic about what someone said about the BBC whinging about Murray.

Oh and I wasn't saying women's tennis is equal to/stronger than men's tennis, I just meant give me a break bringing up such a stereotypical point when talking about sport tounge.gif

Josh
  • Josh

Raus Raus Fila Fila

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (MissCloud @ Monday, Jun 27 2011, 16:31)
I understand what you're saying about seeded players etc, it is only fair that lower seeded players get to play on a big stage at some point; but its the fact that players like Federer aren't moved for them, the reigning champions and everyone else in between are. You say he only plays court one twice per tournament ... how is that fair when at the moment he is third seed and still gets centre for every other match? OK I may be a little biased as I find him too cocky but that's just my opinion lol. In terms of the organisers knowing top seeds destroy lower seeds, look at Bernard Tomic, playing really well and reached the quarter finals today and he isn't even seeded.

At the end of the day it doesn't make a difference to me as I'm only watching from my living room, I was just adding to the topic about what someone said about the BBC whinging about Murray.

Oh and I wasn't saying women's tennis is equal to/stronger than men's tennis, I just meant give me a break bringing up such a stereotypical point when talking about sport tounge.gif

Say what you like about seedings but Federer, Nadal, Murray and Djokovic are the big draws. And therefore they will be on centre court more often than not. The problem at the moment with the women's game is that there is a vacuum due to the fact that two of the greatest female tennis players of all time haven't played for ages and have fallen in the rankings as a result. Therefore although they may be the big names in the draw on the women's side they haven't been deserving of a place in the finals. The same thing happened to Sampras and other great champions of both genders.

Tomic has played two unseeded players and a top 10 seed who was fatigued and ill. I'm not trying to sh*t on his achievements but he hasn't played a top seed yet when they've been on song.

And I don't think it was stereotypical of me to bring up that point. I wasn't referring to the strength of the individual competitors but rather to the lack of standout players to rival the Williams sisters in the women's game right now.

It wasn't like I said: "Hurr durr, women are rubbisher than men at tennis because they have smaller brains." tounge.gif

I actually prefer watching women's tennis in some instances because of the fact that there are more rallies and less emphasis is on the first two shots (serve and return). I chose to watch Bartoli-Williams over Murray-Gasquet, although that could possibly because I think that Murray is a total twat...

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (Josh @ Monday, Jun 27 2011, 16:52)
I chose to watch Bartoli-Williams over Murray-Gasquet, although that could possibly because I think that Murray is a total twat...

I'll agree to disagree on this one I think. But we'll see about Tomic tounge2.gif

You know how I feel about Federer then lol, however saying that, I enjoy watching his tennis but I'm enjoying that he's just lost the first set to Youzhny even more.

Josh
  • Josh

Raus Raus Fila Fila

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:38 PM

Well Federer won. And Nadal is doing well against del Potro. Although del Potro is the only guy to have broken serve Nadal is up 2 sets to 1. I hope it gets to 5 sets whoever wins because I like 5 set matches. Not much of a chance to see them though because of the fact that they only play 5 setters during men's majors.

ChossenOne
  • ChossenOne

Ditched!

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:54 PM

Why is Wozniacki even rated no.1? What exactly has she won! Or, who exactly did she blow?
Women's tennis used to better with all those lesbians.

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (ChossenOne @ Tuesday, Jun 28 2011, 14:54)
Why is Wozniacki even rated no.1? What exactly has she won! Or, who exactly did she blow?

She's been doing what she's supposed to be doing, while the majority of the woman have been skipping tournaments, she's actually been competing in them and earning ranking points.

JoeyLeone25
  • JoeyLeone25

AMF Elder

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE (Seddo @ Tuesday, Jun 28 2011, 17:05)
QUOTE (ChossenOne @ Tuesday, Jun 28 2011, 14:54)

She's been doing what she's supposed to be doing, while the majority of the woman have been skipping tournaments, she's actually been competing in them and earning ranking points.

She sounds like the Lee Westwood of Tennis to me then! Constantly achieving Quarters, and Semi's in smaller (weaker?) tournaments to boost herself up the rankings, smart move in a way, in another people will just keep putting her down until she eventually does win a Grand Slam.

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (JoeyLeone25 @ Wednesday, Jun 29 2011, 09:46)
She sounds like the Lee Westwood of Tennis to me then! Constantly achieving Quarters, and Semi's in smaller (weaker?) tournaments to boost herself up the rankings, smart move in a way, in another people will just keep putting her down until she eventually does win a Grand Slam.

Well she was runner up at the 2009 US Open, so she is nearly there tounge.gif .

She's only 20 at the moment so she's still learning really, she can play some good stuff but then lets herself down at other times, like in her 4th round tie at Wimbledon just gone.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:25 PM

Federer... bottled it? Wow.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:26 PM

Seems to happen to a lot, the women's rankings are so wide open. Those that play the most tennis in tournaments achieve the rank but not the respect because they don't win a grand slam.

Farewell to Federer wow.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users