[FAQ]How to use xliveless to load savegames

52 replies to this topic
Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:44 PM

What's happening with the game after you installed Xliveless? Starts from "The Cousin Bellic"?

scooz
  • scooz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:10 PM

Yeah thats where it starts from but i dont have a saved game on it yet. Im just trying to get the textures to load. Someone linked me to xliveless to see if it might help with an older patch but im way over my head. Im downloading the 1.0.3.0 patch and im gunna attempt to run it somehow so it fixes my missing texture issue.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:33 AM

Well, xliveless is working, I'm only not sure what do you expect from it, it simply disables GFWL and RGSC, loads some mods if you use any and changes the savegame directory.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

Yeah thats where it starts from but i dont have a saved game on it yet.

Then simply transfer your saves to My Documents/Rockstar Games/saves.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:21 PM

Savegames go into the newly created folder in My Documents.

Not always, I use Xliveless, with no patches, and the saves are still in the Original location in the AppData folder. This is on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. The saves load great and there is no savegames folder in My Documents. Just a friendly heads up... tounge2.gif

Then simply transfer your saves to My Documents/Rockstar Games/saves.

Again, depends on your set up, you might not have to move them at all-I didn't-they are still in the Original folder and still load and work great(both my saves and Downloaded saves).

But, Xliveless is a great tool to help get past all the updates for Windows Live and the Auto Patch updates. Good job to whomever created it.?

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:06 PM

@radioman: Are you sure you're not using an older version of Xliveless? Because, AFAIK, the latest version changes the location of the savegames folder.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE (girishb @ May 19 2011, 13:06)
@radioman: Are you sure you're not using an older version of Xliveless? Because, AFAIK, the latest version changes the location of the savegames folder.

I'm not sure what version of Xliveless I have, but it should be the latest one, as I just Downloaded it from the Official topic here last month(when I got this laptop that can play the game). Here is the topic I got it from... So, unless there was an update done this month, it should be the latest one, I reckon.?

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (girishb @ May 20 2011, 04:36)

Are saying the location has changed from the locations below?

(for Windows Vista) %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames\
(for Windows XP) %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames\

If so what are the new locations?

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

Nope, those are the new locations.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:39 PM Edited by nightwalker83, 24 May 2011 - 01:11 AM.

That is strange I have tried everything I can think of however, I can't get xliveless working.

I've tried putting the saves in the new location both in the original online save folder and without that didn't work. I tried starting a new game and saving the game then putting my saves in that folder in the new location. While the saves appeared in the game when I did this I received a failed to load error hen trying to load each and every save game.

Edit:

The error I receive is "Load failed! Please check the hard drive and try again." I hope that helps find a solution to the problem.

Installing title_update_7_EN makes things worse if I have xliveless in the folder after the update and try to launch the game it fails to load.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:38 AM

E:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames

LOL, That's a funny one-installing stuff on the E drive- lol.gif tounge2.gif That is the DVD/CD Rom drive-how are you supposed to install things onto the CD/DVD Rom drive when you have to have the CD/DVD in there to install it in the first place. That was meant as a joke in case anyone was wondering. But it is true, though, that's why it's funny

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:46 AM

QUOTE (nightwalker83 @ May 24 2011, 10:09)
That is strange I have tried everything I can think of however, I can't get xliveless working.

I've tried putting the saves in the new location both in the original online save folder and without that didn't work. I tried starting a new game and saving the game then putting my saves in that folder in the new location. While the saves appeared in the game when I did this I received a failed to load error hen trying to load each and every save game.

Edit:

The error I receive is "Load failed! Please check the hard drive and try again." I hope that helps find a solution to the problem.

Installing title_update_7_EN makes things worse if I have xliveless in the folder after the update and try to launch the game it fails to load.

Anyone know a solution to this problem?

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:48 AM

Are you sure you have the latest xliveless version? Which OS are you using? Does xliveless allow you to load the the newest savegame you made with it installed?

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:16 PM Edited by radioman, 31 May 2011 - 06:18 PM.

Just a friendly heads up, but "B" and "D" in the first post need to be updated, as they are not true really?
b) Moves the savegame folder to "My Documents" and allows loading of downloaded savegames.

On Windows 7 64-bit, the saves are located here-even when using Xliveless:
Windows 7 - C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames

d) Up to and including patch 5 for GTAIV, it disabled RGSC as well so you didn't need that crap running in the background all the time, also presenting a possible cause for various issues.

This is not actually true either, as I use Xliveless, and anytime I go to start the game(I use the Launch GTA IV icon like you are supposed to when using Xliveless), the Social Club window still comes up and you still have to click the Play button there to actually get the game to start. This is Windows 7 64-bit btw, so, Not sure how it is for XP OR Vista, as my XP Pro and Vista machines will not run the game-only my Windows 7 machine does...? Also, I don't have any patches for the game(Original from when I first installed it last month. It is the Original DVD version that I bought when the game first came out.

But otherwise, great job on creating the Xliveless program Mkey, it works great and keeps the constant GFWL updates from appearing... smile.gif

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:30 PM

xliveless is not a program, it's a library wrapper and it's made by Listener, not me.

QUOTE (radioman @ May 31 2011, 20:16)
On Windows 7 64-bit, the saves are located here-even when using Xliveless:
Windows 7 - C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames

user posted image

Windows 7 64 bit over here. I don't even have GFWL instaled.

QUOTE (radioman @ May 31 2011, 20:16)
d) Up to and including patch 5 for GTAIV, it disabled RGSC as well so you didn't need that crap running in the background all the time, also presenting a possible cause for various issues.

This is not actually true either, as I use Xliveless, and anytime I go to start the game(I use the Launch GTA IV icon like you are supposed to when using Xliveless), the Social Club window still comes up and you still have to click the Play button there to actually get the game to start.

I don't know what you're doing there, but xliveless completely disables RGSC, i.e. I don't even have it installed anymore. Patch 6 and above RGSC panel can be removed completely by removing the file "paul.dll" from the game directory.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:53 PM Edited by radioman, 31 May 2011 - 06:56 PM.

As you can see here: user posted image and here user posted image I have Windows 7 64-bit and the first pic. is where my saves are and the second one shows I have Xliveless in place-it is the last file at the bottom in the 2nd pic. and here's to prove the system it is running on..user posted image

PS- I would have edited the photos to make them smaller, but i'm not sure how to edit them to a smaller size.?

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:19 PM

To me it seems xliveless in your case is not functioning properly. Admin rights, UAC settings or some other third party reason.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ May 31 2011, 14:19)
To me it seems xliveless in your case is not functioning properly. Admin rights, UAC settings or some other third party reason.

I only have one account on this PC, it is the Admin. account, I have UAC on the Recommended setting, and the only third party app I have running in the background when I run the game is the AV program. I installed the game and put Xliveless in place before I installed my AV, so there would be no problems with that blocking it. I had the Xliveless program stored on an External HD from my other PC, and after I installed the game, I played the game, and it would not let me save the game-it always came up with something along the lines of "An update is required for GFWL...." and I went through the update process like 5 times in a row, and it still would not let me save the game until I used the Xliveless tool. I don't know why there was an update so soon anyway, as I had just installed the game and after the first time running it, it was already coming up with an update?-I mean shouldn't all of the updates had been applied with the initial install? lol confused.gif

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:37 PM

No, when you run the game for the first time it will offer to update GFWL (if not up to date) and the game.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ May 31 2011, 14:37)
No, when you run the game for the first time it will offer to update GFWL (if not up to date) and the game.

I don't get that GFWL crap anymore since using Xliveless(which is good, since it does away with it). That's how it was before I started using Xliveless(as far as GFWL goes)....

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:04 AM Edited by nightwalker83, 04 June 2011 - 02:13 AM.

QUOTE (mkey82 @ May 29 2011, 20:18)
Are you sure you have the latest xliveless version? Which OS are you using? Does xliveless allow you to load the the newest savegame you made with it installed?

Disregard what I said about xliveless! The wrapper on the other hand is my problem. I can't get it working. I am using Vista 32 bit. I am trying to use the saves that I created online.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:06 AM

AFAIK xliveless will not work with online saves.

gremlinkurst
  • gremlinkurst

Old Hand

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:56 AM Edited by gremlinkurst, 14 March 2013 - 06:00 AM.

QUOTE (nightwalker83 @ Monday, May 23 2011, 23:39)

Edit:

RE: nightwalker83 complaint: "Load failed! Please check the hard drive and try again."
That is my complaint exactly. I would be able to say that I understand the Xliveless directions perfectly, but for one thing: What the Sam Hell is an ASI loader? I ran a directory search for both the string "ASI" and for any files with an ASI extension, and there aren't any such animals in the Grand Theft Auto IV directory. Supposedly, this Xliveless thing is supposed to enable me to load gamesaves that weren't written by my particular copy of GTA IV, but it is a miserable FAILURE. The only saved games I can load successfully are backed up copies of files written by my GTA IV [& DLC] game. My suspicion is that the load failure is due to data mismatch, that the originating profile name is embedded in the save file, and that when the embedded data does not match the directory it is placed in, an error results…except, that if that was the case, then not all of my own files should load after system reformat and game reinstallation. Perhaps it might help if someone explained exactly why a saved game generated by User A will not work on User B's system. I can't troubleshoot a problem if I don't know what the problem IS. RE: Schroedinger's Cat: I ALWAYS end up with a dead cat.

EDIT: I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with a 6-core CPU and Radeon HD 7850 GPU.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users