Photo

Massive frame rate drop after 30-60s of gameplay

23 replies to this topic
kidddo
  • kidddo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:49 PM

Ok, so I finally got the game to work with the recent patch. However it still isn't playable.

Basically what happens is that when I start the game it runs smoothly at +/-40FPS on automatic (medium/high) settings at 1680 x 1050. After about 30s of gameplay the framerate drops to about 10-15fps and will not get better unless I press ALT+TAB twice or change ANY graphic setting and confirm that. Then I have another 30-60s of playable game until it drops to the "slideshow" mode again.

My current savegame is during the rain at the initial location. When the game loads I run out of the building, rob a car near the fast-food bar drive it few meters and there the stutter begins. I do the double ALT+TAB and the game is running 40FPS again for the next few seconds.

The same happens with the 1.0.5.0 patch so it probably has nothing to do with shadows. It also doesn't respond to settings change, I can lower all to low/off/1 and the resolution to 800x600 and it does happen the same way.

I find my OS pretty clean, I don't like any helpers or stuff running in the background. Apart from COMODO Internet Security (which I disable before running the game) almost nothing is loading when Windows starts.

Tried the -memrestrict solution, tried D3DOverrider, tried turning off windows event log service, tried running the game with Minimem, tried AMD Fusion Utility and Game Booster - none of those had ANY influence on how the game runs. HDD is frequently defragged with Defraggler, Cool&Quiet is disabled in BIOS, power scheme is set to Home/Office Desk, temps are probably fine. Although I have the s*itty stock cooler that came with x955, the case I own has two 140mm fans on the side and one 80mm at the back so it keeps the interior at decent temperature. Currently I have 10.5 ATI drivers installed without the Catalyst Control Center. All other drivers are up to date I think.

I have no issues with any other game. I can play COD MW 2 maxed out having Opera with 20 tabs opened in the background and talking over Skype at the same time.

I'd really appreciate any help or suggestion to solve this issue. If you need any more info feel free to ask. Thanks in advance!

_corTEC
  • _corTEC

Snitch

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:21 AM Edited by _corTEC, 30 June 2010 - 10:35 AM.

Do you overclock?

Same thing happened to me when I oc'd my GPU too much. Try logging your temps and frequencies during gameplay. You might find the problem...

kidddo
  • kidddo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE (_corTEC @ Jun 30 2010, 10:21)
Do you overclock?

Same thing happened to me when I oc'd my GPU too much. Try logging your temps and frequencies during gameplay. You might find the problem...

No, everything runs at stock voltages. Tried some OC while fighting this problem but it didn't fix a thing so I went back to stock values.

Measured the temps. As for the GPU after about 30mins of "gameplay" GPUz registered 67C as max value. The CPU reached 60C and 54C at cores 0-3. System temperature was more or less steady at 35C.

Although these values could be better I believe they are still in range. I'll get me a Zalman 9500 and a bigger rear fan soon but I have little faith it'll fix the frame rate drop.

The main question is what is happening with the game when I press ALT+TAB ochange ANY graphic setting (and I mean ANY, like VSYNC on/off or view distance by 1 notch in either direction)? Because whatever happens at the time that's what fixing the performance for another 30s. Could it be some issue with Windows page file?

Benchmark gets affected by the very same frame rate drop. Below I paste its results although I believe the average FPS would be over 60 if it went smooth from the beginning to the end):

Average FPS: 50.00
    Duration: 33.06 sec
    CPU Usage: 54%
    System memory usage: 49%
    Video memory usage: 77%

Graphics Settings
    Video Mode: 1680 x 1050 (60 Hz)
    Texture Quality: High
    Shadow Quality: High
    Reflection Resolution: High
    Water Quality: Very High
    Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x4
    Night Shadows: Off
    View Distance: 25
    Detail Distance: 31

Hardware
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition
    Service Pack 2
    Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
    Video Driver version: 6.14.10.7082
    Audio Adapter: Realtek HD Audio output
    AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 2
    üë
    AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 Processor
    AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 Processor

_corTEC
  • _corTEC

Snitch

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:53 AM

i completely agree with you, those temps are fine, and the problem seems to be memory related.

The following programs are freeware and available from Google searches.

To remove the doubt, run MemTest at boot to check RAM, if it passes disable your page file and run GTAIV purely from RAM. That covers the RAM, then run HyperPi, your CPU should complete 1M calculations in around 18-19 seconds.

Do other games perform well on your system?

I am not sure if you just overlooked it, but are the correct DirectX drivers installed?

"Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition
Service Pack 2"

Does GTAIV require Win XP SP3? I'm sure it does...

kidddo
  • kidddo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:47 PM

Thanks for your answer!

i completely agree with you, those temps are fine, and the problem seems to be memory related.

What I forgot to add in my last post was that the appearance of frame rate drop was in no way related to the temp peaks. So yes, it doesn't seem to be the cause.

To remove the doubt, run MemTest at boot to check RAM,

Passed with no errors.

disable your page file and run GTAIV purely from RAM.

Disabled it in Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance > Settings > Advanced > Virtual Memory Change > No Paging File > Set. Restarted Windows and apart from longer loading times everything worked as before.

run HyperPi, your CPU should complete 1M calculations in around 18-19 seconds.

It completed the calculations in 23,5s when set to 4 processors and in 21s when set to 1 processor.

Do other games perform well on your system?

Until now I had no problem with any other game. Did some measures today (all games maxed out at 1680x1050):

COD MW 2 - practically constant 60FPS throwing granades all around me at the airport terminal, in rare moments of peace FRAPS showed up to 280FPS
Prototype - 35-45FPS
Saboteur - 45-60FPS

I am not sure if you just overlooked it, but are the correct DirectX drivers installed?

I believe I have the most recent for XP, according to dxdiag it's 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

"Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition
Service Pack 2"

Does GTAIV require Win XP SP3? I'm sure it does...

Unfortunatelly there is no SP3 for XP x64. AFAIR XP x64 is based on Windows Server 2003, not on 32bit XP and therefore SP2 is the last one Microsoft released.

Probably upgrading my OS would do the trick. If only I needed Windows for anything else than gaming. I do all my work in Ubuntu. I still hope to pin down the problem and fix it. Maybe it's some update I'm missing, maybe some driver, maybe some BIOS setting.

kidddo
  • kidddo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:06 AM

I've found a solution... sort of.

I wanted to record the gameplay with Fraps to be able to show you how does the game act. Never used Fraps video recording in GTA IV before.

I set it to half-size and 50FPS, pressed F9 and to my surprise the game never stuttered. Once I pressed F9 again to stop recording the frame drop was immediate and it stuttered just as before at 10-15FPS. When I pressed F9 to start the recording again the stutter was gone and I was playing at 40FPS!

Unfortunately the in-game Clip Capture didn't have the same effect on frame rate.

First thing that came to my mind was that the 30/50/60FPS option in Fraps must be some kind of frame limiter to synchronize the game FPS with recorded movie FPS. So after some research I tried the -frameLimit and -refreshrate command lines. Used each solo, used them together - nothing happened. With anything below 60 in -refreshrate game didn't even start throwing some fatal errors at me.

I've also found a small application called FPS_Limiter. You need to start it by commandline or .bat file like this:

CODE
FPS_Limiter.exe /r:D3D9 /f:40 /x:OFF /l:OFF "C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\GTAIV.exe

Unfortunately due to how R* did it you can't run GTAIV.exe directly, must do it through the LaunchGTAIV.exe. Starting LaunchGTAIV.exe through FPS_Limiter.exe run the game but had no effect on limiting the frame rate.

Maybe my conclusion is wrong and Fraps does something else apart from limiting frame rate. Anyhow if you know of any frame limiter I could use to test if I'm right please let me know.

Now, thanks to Fraps at least I can play the game. There are just two drawbacks:
- when recording, frame rate drops about 5-7FPS because of the stolen resources
- I can only play until I fill up the free space on my HDD, then I have to ALT+TAB and delete those files. I've already turned off the sound recording and set the half-size picture but it produces around 700mb/min anyway. Wish there was something like 1/100-size smile.gif

plugin_
  • plugin_

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:31 PM

I have the same problem here, just tried the fraps recorder trick, didnt work confused.gif

FilthyHarry
  • FilthyHarry

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:52 AM

Same prob for me. Game starts and plays great, better than ever before. For at least the first 1 to 15 min. Then it drops to single digit fps. I'm searching for a cure but it sure seems like a problem with the game, not the pc or os since its never been an issue for me the last 3 times I've installed and played GTA IV.

drytaffin
  • drytaffin

ZoomBox

• Members

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:09 PM

I've the same problem !
After less than 5 minute my game starts lagging with a drop of 20 fps or something !

plugin_
  • plugin_

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (drytaffin @ Jul 5 2010, 17:09)
I've the same problem !
After less than 5 minute my game starts lagging with a drop of 20 fps or something !

Lol, im getting 20 fps average.

sexypizza
  • sexypizza

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:24 PM

i have the same problem too, tried the fraps idea and it worked for me although there is still some minor stutter every now and then.

i think the problem could be with the patch, because this never happened to me when i had 1.0.4.0

drytaffin
  • drytaffin

ZoomBox

• Members

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:23 PM

Oh, I just tried the Fraps idea and it worked too tounge.gif

I've a worse fps but it's now constent !
I think we should tell it to Rockstar so they mabe include a simple frame limiter or they work on the solution!

kidddo
  • kidddo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE (drytaffin @ Jul 30 2010, 14:23)
I think we should tell it to Rockstar so they mabe include a simple frame limiter or they work on the solution!

I already did. About month ago I've sent an email to R* support with some details provided here and a link to this thread. After two weeks they replied asking for dxdiag.txt. I've sent it and am waiting ever since. If they'll ever come back with an answer I'll post it here.

In the meantime I'll keep playing with Fraps. I've never found better "solution".

luceberg
  • luceberg

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:49 AM

Don't bother with that frame limiter crap.

Just use the commandlines -refreshrate 30 -framelimit 1

or you could use -refreshrate 20 or 25, whichever suites.

kidddo
  • kidddo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (luceberg @ Jul 31 2010, 01:49)
Just use the commandlines -refreshrate 30 -framelimit 1

As I stated above:

I tried the -frameLimit and -refreshrate command lines. Used each solo, used them together - nothing happened. With anything below 60 in -refreshrate game didn't even start throwing some fatal errors at me.

Karhis
  • Karhis

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:58 PM

Same problem here.

After loading the game the FPS is around 60, but frame rate drops to around 30 after about a minute of gameplay. Pressing ALT+TAB restores the proper FPS for another minute or so. I thought this was a CrossFire-related issue or had something to do with GPU temps but now I'm not so sure about that...

I'll try to play around with various command lines to see if they help.

System specs:
Intel Core i7 930 @ 3,8 GHz
ATI Radeon 4870X2 (Stock)
6 GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

joe531
  • joe531

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:53 AM Edited by joe531, 16 August 2010 - 04:32 AM.

I have this issue too, I think. My install does this:

- Start playing
- The safehouse (as well as indoor areas and cutscenes) play buttery smooth, probably around 40-50 fps or so
- Go outside and drive. Frames drop to around 20-30
- Driving really fast definitely goes under 20 fps

My system:
Athlon II X4 635 2.9GHz
Gigabyte Radeon HD4850 1GB (custom Gigabyte model, not the regular version)
4GB DDR2-800 (x2 2gb running in dual channel)
Windows 7 64

viometrix
  • viometrix

Mildly Aggravating

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:27 AM

basically it is your o/s. and win xp x64 is not based on server 2003 at all. it came out long before server 2003. but upgrading to win 7 x64 will help greatly, but on your hardware you will still get stutters and regional drops.

sjaak327
  • sjaak327

Big Homie

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:06 AM Edited by sjaak327, 16 August 2010 - 09:13 AM.

QUOTE (viometrix @ Aug 16 2010, 04:27)
basically it is your o/s. and win xp x64 is not based on server 2003 at all. it came out long before server 2003. but upgrading to win 7 x64 will help greatly, but on your hardware you will still get stutters and regional drops.

No, XP 64 bit is certainly based upon server 2003 x64.

"Windows XP Professional x64 Edition uses version 5.2.3790.1830 of core operating system binaries,[27] the same version used by Windows Server 2003 SP1 as they were the latest versions during the operating system's development. Even service packs and updates for Windows XP x64 and Windows Server 2003 x64 are distributed in unified packages,[28] much in the manner as Windows 2000 Professional and Server editions for x86."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888733

That is indeed the reason that there's no SP3 for this version.

Karhis
  • Karhis

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:54 PM Edited by Karhis, 16 August 2010 - 01:57 PM.

QUOTE (viometrix @ Aug 16 2010, 04:27)

Well, this problem seems to occur on Windows 7 64-bit as well, so I don't think it has has much to do with the operating system.

I would understand regional stutter and drop in frame rate if that drop would remain after alt+tabbing, but at least for me the alt-tab "resolves" the problem for a short period of time before the frame rate drop occurs again. Enabling V-Sync allows me to play a little longer before the frame rate drops.

My best guess is that the game is allocating some resources that are not free'd properly which in turn causes the frame rate drop. Alt+tabbing probably resets the renderer and frees all the resources so the game will run nicely for some time before all the resources are again drained.

Frame buffer issue in GTAIV
This forum link for instance suggests that there would exist some issue with frame buffer on ATI cards. I don't know much about graphic cards, but I have a hunch that alt+tabbing clears the frame buffer.

GritEngine
  • GritEngine

I♥R*N

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:51 PM Edited by GritEngine, 16 August 2010 - 03:55 PM.

Is it this? If so, wait it out (go to another part of the game/load a different save), it will go away if that is the case, if loading a new save works, i cant promise it wont happen again, i get massive slowdown shortly after Yusef's mission string in BoGT for example:

http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1060083686

Mordecai Walfish
  • Mordecai Walfish

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

I know this is beyond necro, but the *exact* phenomena that is going on in this thread (and was never solved) was happening to me, and I found a solution.  Keep in mind this is specific to the Steam version.

For some reason the steam internal link is broken and results in the fps problem referenced here.  To fix this, simply launch GTA4 from the LaunchGTA4.exe that is in the steam/steamapps/common/grand theft auto IV/ folder.

You can run this exe with steam open or closed.. doesnt matter.. and it will fix this issue (it has for me anyway.)  You also can add the exe as a "non-steam game" through the steam interface and actually launch the exe through steam, and it works just as well.

I hope this helps.  Cheers.

• Binka360 likes this

Binka360
  • Binka360

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Germany

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

I know this is beyond necro, but the *exact* phenomena that is going on in this thread (and was never solved) was happening to me, and I found a solution.  Keep in mind this is specific to the Steam version.

For some reason the steam internal link is broken and results in the fps problem referenced here.  To fix this, simply launch GTA4 from the LaunchGTA4.exe that is in the steam/steamapps/common/grand theft auto IV/ folder.

You can run this exe with steam open or closed.. doesnt matter.. and it will fix this issue (it has for me anyway.)  You also can add the exe as a "non-steam game" through the steam interface and actually launch the exe through steam, and it works just as well.

Thank you. This fixed the problem for me  :) 

developmentgb
  • developmentgb

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Made an account to say I love you. Fixed the problem.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users