Quantcast

» «
Photo

Final Moment

62 replies to this topic

Poll: Leti it go? (232 member(s) have cast votes)

Leti it go?

1. yes ;) (91 votes [52.60%])

Percentage of vote: 52.60%

2. no :sui: (82 votes [47.40%])

Percentage of vote: 47.40%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Snow Racer
  • Snow Racer

Member Title

• Feroci Racing
  • Norway

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:34 PM

I'm not gonna write long useless post for this... so...

Hello
As a contributor to the Myriad Islands I think it is time to let go.

It was fun.

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:21 AM

I would prefer to keep this mod alive but sadly there is the lack of activity or interest. I had hoped that the main islands be at least filled up by now. The GTA LC project is just as old and is closer to completion than ever. Lots of other major map projects came and went. So what happened to this one? If more people support ending this, then I will let it go.

JasonB
  • JasonB

GTA-SA/GTA-VC/GTA3 Modder Extraordinaire

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:25 AM

Greetings all and sundry. I feel it is worth coming out of my several year hibernation, and submit my 2000th post, for this topic.

I am proud to have witnessed the birth of this project from illspirit's "Big Empty City" project, and began work on my own stuff shortly after. I think some of the work put into this project is simply outstanding, and the potential it had was amazing.

However this project has long since expired. We never really got the full effort of this project onto San Andreas and that entire era has now gone by. Out models, code and practically everything else are outdated, and there is (as far as I know) little to no work even happening here. Myriad Islands is finished. This forum should be locked and kept as an archive for the interested.

That is my two cents.

jim_gta
  • jim_gta

LCS 2010 Team leader

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:02 AM

Let this mod go.I am a big fan of it and I want it to be a success but this time over GTA III engine.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:35 PM

sad.gif I really liked this mod, I want it to continue.

Gforce
  • Gforce

"Segregate and Rearrange" "The Hills"

• Feroci Racing
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:18 AM

there is still quite a lot of unreleased work for this mod and i have quite a lot of it bolted together for another release.

however i have had quite a busy real life so far this year so nothing much has been done, it doesn't really matter whether YOU decide to close this mod off because either way i will be continuing to use the mod for my own 3D modelling and modding anyway and will continue to make and add new models to it as and when i feel like it, even if that means me opening a website for it.

i suppose your next target is going to be the LC mod ? or maybe kill off modding completely on this site and expand the Off topic Gen Chat forum.

why do you feel the need to close this forum anyway ? got nothing better to do in your life than come back and kill off the original breeding ground that taught most of the GTA modding community how it's actually done ? if the server needs space go delete some of the less useful locations that keep people talking about non gta related bollocks !!

illspirit
  • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• None

Posted 04 July 2010 - 05:07 PM

While my opinion probably isn't worth much given that I lost interest in modding GTA a long time ago, it's probably best just to decide on a "final" version and leave it at that. Could leave the forum open for people who want to talk about it or need help, and in case anyone wants to post "unofficial" mods, but overall, the map is just too complicated to maintain and upgrade.

I blame myself for this (though the pre-cooked lighting doesn't help..). Illcom was my first real attempt at a threedee map, and I really didn't know wtf I was doing yet. Not only was it ugly (especially the sharp intersections blush.gif ), but the arbitrary layout of the roads and such didn't lend itself well to a group effort.

For an open community map to work, it probably should have been totally modular, almost like LEGOs or one of those old "pixel city" thingies, with a road set which could be mixed and matched so that it all snaps back together horizontally and vertically. While I tried to keep most of the northern islands on a grid, the heights/terrains were still a bit random, and there was little rhyme or reason to the curves.

If IV wasn't such a pain in the ass, I'd say the best thing to do would be start over there with a blank slate and a better plan of how to make it modular..

jim_gta
  • jim_gta

LCS 2010 Team leader

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:02 AM

But this time who will lead?

Natedogg.
  • Natedogg.

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:02 AM

I think finishing up LC Mod should be priority number one and then come back to this with a new project leader or something.

jim_gta
  • jim_gta

LCS 2010 Team leader

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:25 AM

But what about Cerebra?There is no one like him.

badboy_zay
  • badboy_zay

:)

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:41 PM

at least do something in the end
this mod is very great,it take a lot of history from the mod,from VC to SA,...

but the link dl of this mod is dead(not dead but slow,10k/s),i hope someone gonna reupload it

jim_gta
  • jim_gta

LCS 2010 Team leader

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:30 AM

The thing is not about re realesing the mod but its about leading it.I think someone should talk to Cerbera so that he can find some way to keep this going.By the I know something which can make it good is a new storyline along 15 to 20 missions atleast.

knocker
  • knocker

~

• Members

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:32 PM

Yes, no-one knows me in here, but i've been lurking in these forums for years, and i'd like to give my two cents too.
How about licensing the mod under some Creative Commons license, to give a chance (or make it clear) to a random opportunist to use/develop the mod, maybe under a different or custom-made game engine (i know, i'm not realistic) ?

Daniel Wilson
  • Daniel Wilson

LCS ROCKS

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:42 AM

This mod was launched in our country also and I played it and finally I decided to visit the thread.Well i can do some modding work for you all but we'll need a team.

Keep up the mod.

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:43 AM

referring back to what G-force said the mod is still far from complete there are still lots of unreleased bits from everyone and most of them are not shared or made public to anyone which is really a bad thing for this mod.

Even though i haven't worked on the mod for about a half year it still has some interest of just filling in those gaps with my newly gathered inspiration specially after my holiday to Londen.

I have shared most of my work with G-force and Loco-G which are by as far as i know the people who have really tried to get Myriad Islands to a higher state and revamp it a lot, while testing all these files with the new pre-lighting, newly added textures and all fixed collisions it was really nice to play around with myriad again.

As far as the mission and coding goes there was a lag on that i was experimenting with some basic scripts myself and adding in small features it didn't really make a big change to it all. Also a lot of ideas of me didn't got realised for example the following.

- The Airports at the black messa islands
- Landing strips and airports linked to Grand Tani Islands on the seaside's.
- Ferry's between some islands (scripted)

besides those ideas i am pleased what has been done with my unreleased work i have given to G-force and Loco-G they have revamped them and used them in their designs of their lots.

So closing this forum for future use would be a big loss for the people who still care, even though i have been cleaning it up a bit lately and checking all the forum links/ downloads / pictures if they still worked and removing any outdated posts without usefull information.

So my statement.

FINISH OF A SEMI- FINAL RELEASE FOR THE PUBLIC WHICH CAN BE USED AS A DEVKIT FOR INTERESTED PEOPLE WHO STILL LIKE TO MOD GTA SAN ANDREAS.

OR

CREATE LITLE PACKAGES WHICH CAN BE USED FOR UPDATING THE OLD 0,69B INSTALLER WHICH I GUESS ISNT A GOOD OPTION.

for now i just think the people who still care just need to get back in IRC and share all the stuff to save time and get things sorted.

bye

plastus
  • plastus

Snitch

• Members

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:33 PM

any updates of that planned release???

Duskidauni
  • Duskidauni

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:50 PM

Is there ANY active link to download Myriad islands? Or am I just that instant too late? :(

James.95
  • James.95

Never Underastimate the Aussies.

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:52 AM

Don't make it a dead mod........

AleXXX
  • AleXXX

(-:-)

• Members

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:23 PM

Hello, guys alien.gif
I'm agreed with Snow Racer, but... if some of members wants to continue contribute work in this project, they can do it without doubt. New public version is a good idea!
These days i have no interest in modding and even gaming. To set up a thick point, my unfinished lot - illsub_c1_r2 blush.gif :
http://www.filefacto...llsub_c1_r2.rar or
http://rapidshare.co...llsub_c1_r2.rar
Goodbye!

speed racer
  • speed racer

The Connection

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:35 AM

Come on guys such a good mod shouldn't be left4dead rather we all should join hands and make contributions for these and I am ready for this.I am a san andreas modder.

jongoose
  • jongoose

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:09 PM

It would be great if you guys could make some kind of final release with a permissive license so that it can be used to build a standalone game.

Some time ago I was working on a simple game engine, it could load maps from ViceCity and i used it to play around with car physics. But it took too much time and i kind of lost interest. Would be fun to dust this thing off and try to turn it into a kind of open source Myriad Islands game. Of course there's no competing with the big guys but if you're interested drop me a line.

Superb@ll
  • Superb@ll

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:17 PM

Peace out.

Diesel
  • Diesel

Getaway Driver

• Feroci Racing

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:07 AM

Hello guys and girls.

I've been off the radar for a long time, haven't I? I vanished just after the introduction of the second island (illnorth?) Checking through the forum just now, looking at all the old topics, to be honest it's made me a little sad - it's reminded me of how much fun it was in here, way back when. It was an exciting place to be, people were experimenting with new stuff, everyone had ideas, there were sh*t-hot guys doing "cutting edge" stuff - it all looks a bit insignificant now, but at the time, it was awesome. I was enjoying putting out my cars, regardless of quality, Monitor57 was doing some really nice stuff as always, and lots of other names that have faded out of my memory for which I'm sorry. But overall, I had a f*cking blast.

Looking through all the picture threads and seeing some of my old cars around, Snow Racer did a really good job fixing up the ones he did - in fact, I think he really made them live up to their potential - some of them I look back at I'm proud that other people liked them enough to use, some I look at and think "Why in the hell did I ever release that?". But overall, I had a f*cking blast.

Times have changed now. When I was working on this, I was a kid at college (high school). Now, I'm married with 2 kids of my own, and about to buy a house. I haven't modeled for a long time, but funnily enough, I modeled up my real-life project car just last week - long story short, it's being made into a physical plastic model for my desk via rapid prototyping.

I don't have any models, data or even pictures left over from my time working on Myriad stuff. I don't even have a computer that will run GTA any more. What would be really nice - if anybody's still around - is a final picture thread where people can put up any stuff they might have from "the golden years", for lack of a better term. Pretty pictures, development photos, anything.

Of course, I think that if people still want to work on this project, they should feel free to do so. Part of me wants it all locked and put away and somehow preserved for posterity - or at least, to stop it decaying from disuse and falling into the kind of "junk that's always been around, and nobody actually wants, so it's become embarrassing" box. But if there's one person who genuinely wants to keep the project going, then more power to them.

There were always things that bugged me about the project, things I'd do differently, if we were starting again, from scratch.

1. Compatibility. I think what really crippled Myriad was the new GTA games coming out. We started out on Vice and it was great - everyone knew where they stood and I think that this was ultimately the good time. Then San Andreas came out, I think sooner than we expected, and everything started to get a bit confusing - people wanted to keep producing content, but we had problems with the engine differences. Masses of time was spent trying to port over all the existing stuff to the new engine, with all the problems that came with that, in addition to the greater scope of the engine (bigger playing field, more cars, extra features, etc). This was a fresh start, which was a problem, because suddenly you have a project that seems a bit pathetic and small considering the scope of what was possible. I think this is where Myriad started to seriously lose people. Then after that, GTA4 came out, and that was that. I don't know if the timings were just coincidental, and the extra difficulties of porting to new engines etc just happened to come when everybody was "growing up" and started doing other things - who knows.

I don't really know how we could have solved this, to be honest. The two options were pretty well considered - either stick with the VC engine, and become outmoded, or shift to SA, losing time and shedding contributors on the way.

When the going was good, though, there were still problems, inefficiencies. One thing that could really help was, I think as illspirit mentioned earlier, a more regimented road grid - making for boring road layouts, but interchangeable segments allow for re-arrangement as necessary by the city council, to better zone the areas. A standard edge-of-plot "interface", perhaps just a standard intersection, would also allow people to go off and create whatever terrain they wanted, if they wanted to build countryside and rural areas with their own road plan. I experimented with this in Myriad (I didn't release my ideas) but you had to book several lots together to create any real terrain, and were also left with the problem of it being stuck in the middle of the commercial district. True, it could be argued that we should have left the rough terrain for another island, but people want to make what they want to make - a more flexible system could accommodate and encourage that, rather than stifle it. A regimented grid system would also allow multiple instances of the same lot if it was decided that the islands were too small to help fill out the space.

There were also problems with the baked-in lighting, which I think illspirit discussed. Again, I don't know if there was a better way, I can't really remember all the little engine limitations we had. I think part of the problem might have been that many of the modelers "grew up" using Zmodeler which didn't deal with things like lighting at all, and then had to progress to 3ds max for Myriad.

2. Standards. In the end, fun though it was, Myriad looked a bit of a hodge-podge mix of random people making random things that interested them which made it ultimately look a bit amateur. I don't mean standards in the sense of some kind of quality judgement by jury, I just mean some kind of official "regulations", again for lack of a better word. A bit like I said earlier - standardised edge-of-plot interfaces which could allow for more flexibility. Model wise, one of the things I found a problem was textures - one lot would be using standard GTA "dirty" low-res textures, while the lot across the street was using custom made "perfect" looking textures - it just didn't gel together. Perhaps it WOULD have been better with some kind of jury deciding things- perhaps a city council type group of approved members would be able to vote on each lot, and suggest improvements if quality wasn't up to scratch. To be honest, for this sort of project, I think the free-for-all approach doesn't actually work that well. I think a council group/moderation IS required, otherwise you just have chaos.

3. Scope. It seems many of us were a bit confused about what we actually wanted the mod to be. On the one hand we dreamed of a total conversion, a playable start-to-finish mod with missions, a storyline, cutscenes, the works. On the other hand we had reality, where we had a LOT of empty ground to make into a thriving city; a lot of empty car slots (especially sedans - oh, lord, how I dreaded the sedans); a lot of lot makers wanting to make missions that integrated into some as yet unspecified overarching storyline, and a handful of coders with which to make it happen. Part of the mission coding stuff was people wanting to push the boundaries with what's possible, push the limits of what they can do with their lots. Unfortunately GTA's engine meant that even things like doors that opened as you got close to them required code in the mission file. Not really the best system for a large, modular city. If we had been running on a different system the story may have been different, Half-Life 2 for example, where mappers can not only make a physical location but create all of the missions, events, cutscenes, moving parts, and other interact-able entities they want, all within the map file itself (yes it needs compiling all together so it's not all that modular, but we'll gloss over that).

I had a really great time working on this, though, guys. Really did. I'm going to keep watching this topic for a while and hope to hear back from some old names.

XEPOMAHT007
  • XEPOMAHT007

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:56 PM Edited by XEPOMAHT007, 14 November 2010 - 05:03 PM.

Myriad Islands will live as long as people have interest in him. Personally, I like non-developer of this mod, after or in the willingness GTA Stories Patk, will continue to clandestinely develop a mod to version 1.0

Old screens for history about MI:
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

sorry...

user posted image

dowster
  • dowster

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:28 AM

i just found out about this and im sad i i missed out
if anyone has the file could you please upoad it and put a link, or make a torrent so it can stay alive and email it to me at [email protected]

BCspeed34
  • BCspeed34

CEO

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:01 AM

I just took a nostalgic stroll back into here, and noticed this as the leading topic.

Myriad Islands was what brought be here to GTAF. From the day I stumbled across photos of this project, I had been inspired to join. Already an avid builder of LEGO, I thought I could give the whole "modding" thing a try. So I did, and I like to think I got pretty good at it. However that time has come and gone my friends.

At my tender age of 14, Myriad became a sort of after-school activity for me. I started of small, went through humiliation and ridicule, but ended up becoming somewhat successful with my 3D modeling skills. Albeit many were superior in their modeling, texturing, and coding skills, I still felt accepted and respected into this global community. I would feel so privileged just to be communicating with some of the best map-modelers this site had to offer, especially our dear friend Odie (RIP).

I could spend hours driving around Myriad. Even though much of the island was void of buildings, it made buildings which did exist even more special. From the clothing store, to the motorcycle shop, to a nuclear plant, and to the rooftop disco, everything had its place and purpose. Did I care if things weren't exactly realistic? No, but I was at a different age then. I played for the flying, the crashing, the driving. I had little care for stories or realism in a video game.

However times have changed for all of us. As Diesel mentioned, many of us have moved on from Myriad and have very different lives than what we did back in 2004. I am now out of school and am pursuing a very different career than I was in 2004. After starting with Myriad, I had focused on becoming a 3D designer, working for some of the largest game companies out there. However that has changed, and I am now moving towards getting my MBA and starting my own firm.

I think what the real point behind this is, Myriad Islands was for me, a fun way to play GTA. I wasn't looking for a serious back-story or a realistic city-scape, I was looking for a good time. And for a good couple of years, I found it. I am also proud I was able to make several contributions to this project. From the photos I took, to the coding I provided, and to my lot on c9_r3, I hope I made a positive impact on what I still consider one of the greatest GTA community projects.

So what do we make of Myriad Islands now? I say we end it on a good note. Rather than keeping the project open, we preserve it as a relic of GTA history. It is far too late to begin converting to another engine. For by the time the current lots are transferred, a new game will have been released, and the cycle will continue. If a final version is to be released, I would love to enjoy it into the future on my copy of GTA: Vice City, the one and only home to the Myriad Islands.

-Brent

Mr. Myriad
  • Mr. Myriad

Thug

• Members

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:01 AM

This mod's the best. It have super atmosphere. At whole, i would like to see continue of this mod. It gonna be live in the hearts of all GTA FANS. MYRIAD ISLANDS F O R E V E R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fireguy109
  • fireguy109

It's a long way to the top

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:31 PM Edited by fireguy109, 03 January 2011 - 11:59 PM.

I would like to add my own two cents. Nobody knows me on these forums. I just started modding in September. I've uploaded three mods to GTAGarage, all of them skins I made with paint. I'm just a n00b. I first heard about Myraid while on Cerbera's site. I felt like a kid listening to the grown-up's conversation. There was no working website and no real, comprehensive explaination of the goal, etc. When I migrated to this website, it crushed me hearing about the loss of Odie (RIP), Cerbera's leaving, and everyone "growing up" and moving away from Myraid. It was like I was born a generation late. I started adding mods to my old GTA 3, the only GTA I currently own. Now, I have replaced every vehicle but the emergency ones. I was suprised, especially after playing GTA IV with my friend, that there was still so much interest in VC and III. There is a new generation of modders willing to contribute. I would pay for a copy of VC just to help on this project. Don't let Myraid die. All of the files should be posted under a seperate GTAGarage area or account, just so that one day, some modders can dig them back up and maybe finish the project. Has anyone ever heard of the GTA Criminal Russia mod? It was like Myraid, but it failed because the creators would dispute and leave, taking their models with them. It was frozen in '07. Criminal Russia on GTA wiki.Don't let Myraid turn into another Criminal Russia, another dead TC taking up space. It has real potential. You don't have to finish it- just make the files available. That's this n00b's opinion.

Avskygod0
  • Avskygod0

Snitch

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:29 PM

OMG! This might be first ever fully complete non-buggy TC! Well finish it,if i would know modding i would help.

S. Partrick
  • S. Partrick

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:41 AM

What does the word Myraid exactly mean? Is it own created name or something?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users