Quantcast

» «
Photo

Make the HUD / Radar transparent or move position?

3 replies to this topic
SlingShotUK
  • SlingShotUK

GTA Collector and fan since 2001

• Members

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:47 AM

Hi guys,
This is a long standing problem I've had with gaming on my plasma TV. GTA IV is awful for this due to the fixed HUD / Radar which uses a solid border for the radar and health bars. (Image retention is where a static image left on screen for prolonged periods results in a kind of ghosting effect that can take months to go).

I was just wondering, is it possible to make the whole radar area (including health / shield bars) transparent?

Also, is there anything in the game engine to allow this area to be moved around the screen? I'd be up for looking at maybe coding a mod that moved the radar slightly every 2-5 minutes or so to avoid problems with plasma image retention.

I have done a lot of searching and I haven't seen this addressed before.

Any insight would be appreciated.

AngryAmoeba
  • AngryAmoeba

Symbiote

• Members

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:41 PM

Well, I wrote a little script that hides the radar. With the script, pressing Tab temporarily unhides it. My goal was better immersion, but hopefully this will help solve your image retention problem as well.

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=446256

SlingShotUK
  • SlingShotUK

GTA Collector and fan since 2001

• Members

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:45 PM Edited by SlingShotUK, 15 June 2010 - 07:50 PM.

QUOTE (AngryAmoeba @ Jun 15 2010, 17:41)
Well, I wrote a little script that hides the radar. With the script, pressing Tab temporarily unhides it. My goal was better immersion, but hopefully this will help solve your image retention problem as well.

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=446256

Hey there AngryAmoeba,

Ah that's awesome - thanks!

Definitely a good start to solving my problem. I was thinking a hotkey to quickly show the radar - that could be ideal.

I would like to know if it's possible to actually control the position of the radar or make it completely transparent - like the one in Red Dead Redemption - but I'll get your mod installed so I can at least keep on playing for now.

Just downloaded it and noticed it's for .NET hook and editable which is great as it means I can customise it as required - great work.

I am assuming that there is no support in the .NET hook for moving the HUD then? I might have to post that in the .NET hook thread (or C++ one thinking about it) smile.gif

AngryAmoeba
  • AngryAmoeba

Symbiote

• Members

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:02 PM

Hey, I'm glad you found the script useful.

I'm not aware of any way to move the radar (and I only have a PC so no Red Dead Redemption for me sad.gif don't know how the radar works there), but I'm by no means experienced and like you say, the people in the scripthook threads will know more. icon14.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users