The Walking Dead

2,036 replies to this topic
mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Members

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:30 AM

Oh my freakin' god.....

Already watched the first three episodes and I'm completely amazed!

First episode was ace! The 'waking up from coma' scene was done very well with the help of the flowers and the clock. The tank scene was just so awesome. Poor horsie.

Second episode was just intense! Every single moment of the film was just about survival and nothing else. I didnt understand why the episodes was called 'Guts' right until Rick said "We need more guts." Then Gwen starts to vomit, cant wait to see more of this Chinese guy.

Havent got to third episode, but I find Rick a little bit too stupid to be a police officer amirite?

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (mrpain @ Nov 18 2010, 03:30)
Havent got to third episode, but I find Rick a little bit too stupid to be a police officer amirite?

I take it you've never watched an episode of Cops.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:34 PM

Or bin down there tuh Georgia.

Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:23 PM

From what I've heard, these six episodes are only half of the first season. The other half starts airing sometime early next year, around March I think.

Basically they're just taking a break for the holidays, which is understandable.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:59 PM

AMC has signed on for a scond season thankfully and I find im loving this series more than i had anticipated. I feel a cult following coming on.

Third ep was ace...

Azazel
  • Azazel

• None
  • Topic of the Year 2012 "GTA V Vehicle Database"
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:16 PM

Just watched a trailer for this, and it looks bloody brilliant.

Wordsworth
  • Wordsworth

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE (Pat @ Nov 18 2010, 16:23)
From what I've heard, these six episodes are only half of the first season. The other half starts airing sometime early next year, around March I think.

Basically they're just taking a break for the holidays, which is understandable.

The first season will conclude with six episodes, and when it restarts next year that will be the premiere of season 2, which I've read is going to be 10-12 episodes that time around.

I like the way this show feels like a movie. 16mm film gives it a look that is not found in most other television series and it works very well for the subject matter. I loved the graphic novel and so far the show has adapted everything perfectly, and done a solid job expanding on the storylines as well.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:27 AM

Only 3 episodies left? That sucks sad.gif

I hate the waitings. With Heroes it f*cking sucked... months and months of waiting.

meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Gaming] 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2010
    Best Cluckin' Huge Meal 2015

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:43 AM

I have a few friends who are obsessed with the graphic novels which I never got around to reading but hear are very good and well adapted to this.

Just when the whole zombie apocalpyse thing seems done to death a show like this comes along and really carries some weight. I'm not sure why I like it or how it stands out from anything else but I really like it. I think the zombies are very well done and they haven't pulled any punches on the violence despite the fact it's a cable network show. That shot panning up from the zombie surrounded tank was f*cking brilliant.

I've enjoyed the first three episodes of this better than the entire most recent season of Dexter so far. Here's to hoping they crank out the rest after the break fairly soon.

MHH
  • MHH

Consulente Infinito

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:26 AM

Meta I'm like you in that I also haven't read the novels, but I'm still on the fence with the series.
I enjoyed the first episode and that overhead shot with the tank as well, and even episode two was good enough to hold my tongue a little bit.
However the third episode was just dull as hell to me, with a reuniting of a family that I honestly couldn't give to sh*ts for here so far.
It honestly felt like the 3rd was a lifetime movie to me with them coming back together with the third wheel in the mix, the other cop.
They just can't do something like that and expect the majority of the audience to get behind people they just met like that.

So I guess I'm leaning towards not liking the series, but I'm giving it some time more here to work itself the hell out.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:33 AM

Going to jump on with MHH here. I'm just not feeling it.

Had promise, but that's quickly evaporating.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE (makeshyft @ Nov 19 2010, 06:33)
Going to jump on with MHH here. I'm just not feeling it.

Had promise, but that's quickly evaporating.

I'd stay with if for a few more episodes before making any final decisions. This last episode had a little more Lifetime-esque melodrama between a few of the main characters, sure but next episode it's going to be right back to action and survival as far as I can see from the preview.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:08 PM

It's not that, I just don't care about any of the characters. They aren't developed enough for me to really be interested in their fate. Sure, it's still early days, but if you're going to throw action and suspense at your audience, at least make it so they care about the outcome.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

mountaineer

• Administrator
  • Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013
    Best OGA Member 2014

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (makeshyft @ Nov 19 2010, 08:08)
It's not that, I just don't care about any of the characters. They aren't developed enough for me to really be interested in their fate. Sure, it's still early days, but if you're going to throw action and suspense at your audience, at least make it so they care about the outcome.

I like Rick and Glenn, but that's about it. Maybe Merl and Daryl too, because they're crazy as all f*ck. I did like Lennie and his son too.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:25 PM

True. I did care about Lenny. We were really allowed a glimpse into the personal hell he was living, and he became sympathetic as a result. I assume he'll be reappearing what with the hunt for the radio, etc.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:59 PM

I think what's hurting the show is the pacing of the plot. For a 6 episode season, I don't feel like anything has begun to happen yet. No one's even discussing plans, and the characters all seem reactionary rather than in charge of their own faculties.

The comic has such a great story... I wonder why they felt they needed to add such large subplots.

Tyler
  • Tyler

It's not an easy thing to meet your maker

• None
  • Best Poem 2014
    Best Story 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:26 PM

That's exactly how I felt. Three episodes in and we aren't even talking about the future, what the hell? I'm also pissed that they're making season 1 so small, but I suppose it's for seeing where this can go.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:33 PM

Gonna have to agree with you there there. Three episodes in and Rick's already found his family. I expected that arc to last at least one whole season. I'm really not too interested in finding out if Merle is a zombie/neo-Nazi hybrid or just plain old alive with one hand less. The lone zombie walking up on their camp could make for a sweet battle, or just amount to nothing. The only thing I'm looking forward to in terms of the story moving on is Lennie returning. I don't think I care that much about his character, it's really down to the performance of the actor.

Now, regarding the characters, I can't help but to feel that most of the campers aren't fleshed out enough for me to care about them. Except for Rick and Lennie, I find that most of the characters could easily be discarded and I wouldn't care. Hell, I wouldn't be all that miffed if they killed of Lennie because he's not that important in the grand scheme of things - I just want to see some more of that wonderful acting tbh.

I'm not giving up on this. In my opinion this is still the best show of 2010 following Boardwalk Empire. Even though the series hasn't quite lived up to the pilot, it's still great TV and this is coming from someone who hates most things zombie. Speaking of which, those zombies are some scary-looking sons of bitches. I'd be surprised if the make-up didn't get a Golden Globe/Emmy .

Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:38 PM

The future? Really?

3 hours into a show and it's fine where it is. We'll be getting 13 episodes next season, and that's when pacing could be a problem and tons more fleshing out can be done. But for a 6-episode introductory season, Walking Dead has been amazing.

I've seen too much garbage on television to sh*t on a brand-new, genuinely great from the start series.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:57 PM

Yeah, but it would be nice if the remaining three hours didn't just consist of trips to Atlanta to find handless Nazis and tools. And if the campers aren't throwaway characters, then sure, flesh them out down the line. But right now I have no reason to give a rat's ass about Olivia or her sister, because all I know about her is that she likes her vibrator and that she's all gooey about her sister. I get the feeling this show is going to be like The Hulk, with supporting characters that don't hang around for too long. There'll probably be plenty of time to work on Shane and Rick's wife, but the rest of characters don't have that luxury.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:09 PM Edited by Otter, 19 November 2010 - 07:16 PM.

Don, man, you have a really hard time dealing with criticism. I don't think there's ever been a perfect TV show. And simply raving about things I enjoy has become awfully boring to me... so I dissect. I mean, think about it - you're a smart guy, and you're getting to the age where it could be you writing this show.

I'm reading the comic concurrently. Very glad I picked it up - it's a fantastic series (even if losing Tony Moore as an artist broke my heart) and I think it compliments the show very well. It also gives me the opportunity to ask why they've made the choices they have. It also amazes me how the comics (even allowing that they can stand tall in the face of clumsy or expositional dialog) express so many great post-apocalyptic ideas... and the show just seems to lack that. I did love the jokes about stealing cars, and sh*t like that.

And then, yeah, I just feel like the overall story is just sort of.... dragging along. And I can't help but remind myself that this is TV - a place where unions rule the roost. Dispensible characters do not make for happy actors, I suppose. Perhaps that's why the camp seems to have a bunch of faceless people that we know nothing about. 10 to 1 they end up zombie fodder before we get to know them, eh? I wonder if they'll even kill Shane. The trick to good horror and suspense is to show us that anyone is vulnerable.

Overall, though, I f*cking love the show. Really sad that there's only 6 episodes.

Edit - let me share one thing that the comics did right, that the show hasn't touched on - as soon as Rick meets the camp, he learns how vulnerable they are. 'Roamer' zombies stumble upon them occasionally, and someone always remains on guard duty. A quick conversation that went so far to help the mood. Why they decided to make the camp a safer place kind of baffles me.

Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:15 PM Edited by Don Garcia, 19 November 2010 - 07:18 PM.

QUOTE (Otter @ Nov 19 2010, 19:09)
Don, man, you have a really hard time dealing with criticism.

This is why I hates the internets. Had you heard me say those words in person, you'd have heard me say them in a sarcastic tone with a smile. I'm just offering a positive opinion in response to you's guy's negatives remarks.

I get you though. I'm glad I didn't read the comics, so I can appreciate the show for what it is, and not what it should be (source material).

Never said it was perfect, but you guys are already about to jump ship. I'm very far from that.

As for the zombie fodder, that's so gonna be the case. And they've hinted that the camp has been stumbled across before by geeks, and the old man stands guard constantly on the RV, so they haven't made it seem that safe.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (Don Garcia @ Nov 19 2010, 11:15)
This is why I hates the internets. Had you heard me say those words in person, you'd have heard me say them in a sarcastic tone with a smile.

Sorry, I just calls 'em like I sees 'em. I suppose situations like this is why I use an embarrassing overabundance of smileys. tounge.gif

Wordsworth
  • Wordsworth

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:32 AM

Otter, when I saw the preview for next week's episode it appears the camp becomes anything but safe, so perhaps they will be forced into migrating sooner than expected. I have been impressed with how well they've expanded basically the exact same story to make it more thorough and plodding. Things in the first couple issues of the comic tend to move very quickly, which wouldn't translate as well to dramatic television. You're going to love the comic in its entirety. Fantastic.

Gezim
  • Gezim

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:22 AM

Awesome episode, I really liked it. I was a little shocked when I saw that sexy blond girl just get f*cked up by the zombies like that though.

It's getting more and more interesting. Looking at the preview of the next episode, I'm assuming everyone is moving out of camp knowing the zombies will come back for more later, and it looked like they were in the city somewhere. I wonder if they'll find Merle before this season ends.

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:24 AM

I'm pissed, I realized what time it was on today 8 minutes after it started. Going to have to wait for another option to watch it.
My Sunday nights are set though, The Walking Dead then Top Gear USA (however sh*tty it may be), back to back.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:55 AM Edited by meta187, 23 November 2010 - 12:49 AM.

Yea, this episode kind of polarized things a bit at the end I actually did feel bad for this group of survivors getting f*cked up by the undead, they didn't pull any punches and I felt bad for even the passing characters getting offed. That extended scene with the lady crying over her younger sister who could potentially turn at any moment just had me feeling twitchy as sh*t.

One thing I would say I like about this show are the zombies, they really steal the show. They are scarier and better than previous offerings for a few reasons.

*They have varying degrees of decomposition some are way f*cked up from their initial attack while others were simply scratched or bitten and got away only to become zombies later and keep alot of their living features and even expressions which just looks creepy as f*ck.

*The same factors effect their mobility and they can be potentially fast in short bursts.

*They're not entirely stupid and still retain a few residual actions from their previous living state. So far we've seen them try to open doors, attempt to climb ladders, pick up heavy rocks to smash windows and use group tactics such as flanking and spreading out to cover larger groups of the living.

These undead really convince me maybe for the first time (barring The Infected in 28 Days) that surviving the situation wouldn't be as easy as all that.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:42 AM

meta a bit of spoiler tags next time? tounge.gif (Didn't read it though)

I don't know why its on Monday's night in here.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Nov 22 2010, 06:42)
meta a bit of spoiler tags next time? tounge.gif (Didn't read it though)

Done deal.

The only things that may be a bit of a spoiler were in the opening sentence so you didn't miss much.

Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:56 PM

I was really surprised she was killed off. Wow. When Ed was taken out, I loved it, and then my enthusiasm was cut short by that bummer of an ending. Didn't wanna see her killed. At least so soon. Should've figured when I heard birthday.

Merl is one die-hard motherf*cker. So, was it actually him who stole their van? Where'd he go? And he sure was lucky to stumble upon that stove.

Why is Glenn such a courageous dude? One brave ass pizza delivery guy. In a zombie outbreak, I want a squad of Glenn clones who will risk their lives will little fuss.

I was pretty disappointed that they we didn't get to see a Wild Bunch shootout with the thugs. And Merl's brother is way more likeable than Merl. Way more. And I like the actor, because he's from Blade 2.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users