The Walking Dead

1,548 replies to this topic
Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:20 PM

This show is fantabulous, and it was made even better because I expected it to be bland after reading a few reviews. Really, really good TV. I hope the budget won't be a problem down the line, it seems like an expensive show to produce with all the empty locations and make-up. I just have a few things I didn't like about the pilot, namely Rick's Southern accent and him walking into a city full of zombies (the cars going the other direction didn't tell him that was a bad idea?). Too bad the pilot wasn't actually an hour and a half long, I would've enjoyed that immensly. I'll definitely be looking forward to this in the coming week.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:40 PM

I loved the premiere. It's so refreshing to get out of the recent trend of having all zombie related media be of a comedic or campy tone. I'm also glad that AMC isn't afraid to bring the gore and violence. I really haven't seen their other critically acclaimed shows, so I wasn't sure what they would allow.

And the main character riding that horse around got me in the perfect mood to start playing Undead Nightmare.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:22 AM

QUOTE (makeshyft @ Nov 1 2010, 10:39)
QUOTE (Otter @ Nov 2 2010, 01:27)
I found myself wishing they didn't go with the 'woke up from a coma' bit - but it still felt fresh.

That was my thought as well. It may have been the case in the comic (I have no idea), but that doesn't change the fact that 28 Days Later happened. Surely it would have been ok to deviate for the sake of cinematic originality. But still, it worked.

Yeah, it happened in the comic first, and it influenced 28 Days Later with the premise.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:43 AM

QUOTE (Moonshield @ Nov 2 2010, 11:22)
I found myself wishing they didn't go with the 'woke up from a coma' bit - but it still felt fresh.

That was my thought as well. It may have been the case in the comic (I have no idea), but that doesn't change the fact that 28 Days Later happened. Surely it would have been ok to deviate for the sake of cinematic originality. But still, it worked.

Yeah, it happened in the comic first, and it influenced 28 Days Later with the premise.

I thought that was the case, but my point still stands.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:57 AM

Finally saw it. And I loved it. Great Acting, great Zombies and good executions.

Can't wait to see the enxt episodie icon14.gif

The little zombie girl execution in the beggining gave me the chills.

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Zaibatsu

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:01 AM

All you lucky bastards get to watch it early. My country still has to wait 4 more days for it.

Cant f*cking wait for this! Been waiting for a decent zombie show.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:04 AM

QUOTE (makeshyft @ Nov 1 2010, 17:43)

Actually, 28 Days Later came out in 2002, and the comic was published in 2003. tounge.gif

To bring up Survivors again, however - they did the whole 'waking up to an apocalypse' wayyyyy earlier. It's a great way to kick off a story.

WidowMaker
  • WidowMaker

Born with a black hat.

• The Precinct

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:09 AM

f*cking phenomenal. Never had an opening to a show grab me so quickly.

I had tears in my God-damn eyes. Frank Darabont is so f*cking good at this stuff.

Lennie James in particular was outstanding, really stood out, and his scenes definitely brought out the biggest response in me.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (Otter @ Nov 1 2010, 21:04)
QUOTE (makeshyft @ Nov 1 2010, 17:43)

Actually, 28 Days Later came out in 2002, and the comic was published in 2003. tounge.gif

Well, unless you know Robert Kirkman biggrin.gif

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (WidowMaker @ Nov 2 2010, 14:09)
Lennie James in particular was outstanding, really stood out, and his scenes definitely brought out the biggest response in me.

I was actually on the edge of my seat when he was at the window with the rifle. By the end of that scene I was absolutely drained. Fantastic.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (makeshyft @ Nov 2 2010, 13:46)

I was actually on the edge of my seat when he was at the window with the rifle. By the end of that scene I was absolutely drained. Fantastic.

Strong emotional response from the audience and connection with a character in the first episode is not something that you see often. The only other TV show that managed to do that was LOST in my humble opinion. This show has a great potential to be awesome.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Nov 2 2010, 13:07)
QUOTE (makeshyft @ Nov 2 2010, 13:46)

Strong emotional response from the audience and connection with a character in the first episode is not something that you see often. The only other TV show that managed to do that was LOST in my humble opinion. This show has a great potential to be awesome.

Lets hope they dont get lazy later. Sometimes it happens. But this probably wont.

TenaciousD.
  • TenaciousD.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Nov 2 2010, 17:12)
Lets hope they dont get lazy later. Sometimes it happens. But this probably wont.

I don't see this happening at all for The Walking Dead.

The pilot, which was about 1 hour 10 minutes only covered about 4 issues, with close on 80 issues released so far, the show has a huge pool of material to draw from, which could easily last 5 or 6 seasons alone.

.2D
  • .2D

Look at the Flowers.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:37 PM

Watching it at 10 on friday, looks pretty damn awesome, not watched a zombie series before apart from Dead set.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:09 PM

Why is there only 6 episodes in the first season? Are they making a short pause in the middle of the season like Psych maybe?

AmFromTheFutureSon
  • AmFromTheFutureSon

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:13 PM

saw it on halloween

i dont get the ending on the 1st episode

how is he going to get out of that tank????

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE (AmFromTheFutureSon @ Nov 3 2010, 01:13)
saw it on halloween

How about you just wait for the next episode to see? It usually works for me.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE (AmFromTheFutureSon @ Nov 2 2010, 20:13)
saw it on halloween

Maybe the guy that talked to him in the radio will help him? Really, just think.

WidowMaker
  • WidowMaker

Born with a black hat.

• The Precinct

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:48 AM

QUOTE (AmFromTheFutureSon @ Nov 2 2010, 23:13)
saw it on halloween

He's going to turn the turret around, and start shooting it behind the tank, which will then launch into the air and fly gracefully around the city.

Sorry for the spoilers.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:31 AM

QUOTE (WidowMaker @ Nov 2 2010, 23:48)
QUOTE (AmFromTheFutureSon @ Nov 2 2010, 23:13)
saw it on halloween

He's going to turn the turret around, and start shooting it behind the tank, which will then launch into the air and fly gracefully around the city.

Sorry for the spoilers.

That was already done Vice City, meh. sigh.gif

WidowMaker
  • WidowMaker

Born with a black hat.

• The Precinct

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:31 AM

God, you people just ruin f*cking everything, don't you?

MAYBE DAT WAZ DA REFURANCE I WIZ GONG 4!?!?!?

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:29 PM

I thought you were probably talking about GTA3.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:45 PM

I thought you were just taking the piss on a retard, myself.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:18 AM

Nah bro, sh*tting on retards is the done thing these days, apparently.

You know that.

Tyler
  • Tyler

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

• Unknown
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:35 AM

I'm really not digging the new trends at all.

So, I just got finished watching this. That beginning set the series well in my mind. Letting me know AMC is not afraid to f*ck some sh*t up on a cable series makes me p happy. When he wakes up and sees that sign that read 'DEAD INSIDE, DON'T OPEN' I felt myself wanting to open it. . The ending was nothing less than great as well, I'm definitely tuning into this show religiously now.

Tetsuo2501
  • Tetsuo2501

TV Casualty

• The Connection
  • Unknown

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:20 AM

I was real surprised that it only received a tv-14 rating here in the states.

Only real problem I have with the series is that I've read the comic for so long I already know how everything (is supposed to) pan out story wise, so it's like watching something I've already seen; for me personally.

Other than that I thought the make-up effects were amazing looking, and it was a fun watch for sure. I'll keep up with it to see if they stay true to the material, it's fun to see the characters in color for once.

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:33 AM Edited by Sweets, 04 November 2010 - 07:45 AM.

As I understand it they aren't going to stay too true to the material, so people like us aren't going to see everything coming.

source
another

I thinking the idea is to keep the characters you know the same, but tell bits he felt he flew past rather quickly in a more in depth manner, as well as add some characters, and with any luck
keep some of the good characters around a bit longer, like Shane possibly.

I also get the impression from the commercials that there are two groups in the beginning, one with Andrea in it in the city, and another with Shane and Dale and them out of the city, though I could be wrong and they could have just been separated. Also, it seems like they are either turning the prison into a high school, or possibly turning the later safe zone bits into a high school, I can't tell which yet.

But yeah, it seems like the basic idea is keep the characters the same, and fiddle with the story just enough to make it more than just a translation from comic to tv.

(edit)
Also, that's like the cooldog of horses.
user posted image

Sauron
  • Sauron

chillin' like a mega villain

• The Precinct

Posted 06 November 2010 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE (Otter @ Nov 2 2010, 02:27)
I found myself wishing they didn't go with the 'woke up from a coma' bit.

Watched this today and I have to agree. Thought it was pretty lame, but I guess if the comic had the idea originally it makes sense. Just a shame really.

Not really a big zombie fan in general, but really enjoying the progress of the show. Really felt the anguish of the black dude when he attempted to shoot his wife and I was p devastated when the horse got eaten : (

tubbs51
  • tubbs51

Superbowl 48 Champs! GO SEAHAWKS!!

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:58 AM

To be honest i was hesitant to watch the show seeing as its not on HBO and i felt a graphic show like zombies are best when they arent constantly filtered by the Government... but i must say i was really immpressed... the graphic parts were in there and everything... I must say AMC is a very close second on my favorite channels list (USA is at the top)... if they create a few more good shows they'll really be competing with the stuff on the USA Network..

two thumbs up...

Tetsuo2501
  • Tetsuo2501

TV Casualty

• The Connection
  • Unknown

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (TUBBSthezombie @ Nov 6 2010, 04:58)
To be honest i was hesitant to watch the show seeing as its not on HBO and i felt a graphic show like zombies are best when they arent constantly filtered by the Government...

user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users