Rockstar Should Make a Samurai Game

26 replies to this topic
Akavari
  • Akavari

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:10 PM

So, samurai games like Way of the Samurai aren't done as prominently anymore, at least in the US. Rockstar should definitely consider a sandbox samurai game as sort of a successor to Red Dead Redemption. The story would be very similar to the theme of red dead: samurai (gunslingers) are a dying breed as new westernized customs are taking over japan. You'd still play 'the man with no name', a dangerous wanderer. If you even think about almost any character in red dead redemption there could be a parallel in feudal japan. Factions could include the government/shogunate, obsolete samurai clans, Yakuza, ninja clans, random bandit gangs, and more. Weapons would be interesting: there could be a bunch of different style katanas, naginatas (spears), ninja weapons (Chain scythe biggrin.gif ), Chinese blades, various martial arts weapons, bows, crossbows, primitive rifles, etc.

I have much more about the idea in my head but what do you guys think of the concept? Would you buy it?

The_Mario_Man
  • The_Mario_Man

Every 5 Minutes

• Members

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:12 PM Edited by The_Mario_Man, 09 June 2010 - 09:17 PM.

That would actually be pretty damn cool. It'd be good to see a rendition of Japan without that annoying mystical, anime crap.

Akavari
  • Akavari

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:40 PM

I've been thinking and realized it would be awesome if you could train, like meditating under a waterfall, slicing through bamboo stalks or sparring in a dojo with wooden swords. You could learn new techniques to wield your sword, and occasionally get special moves. It could be like deadeye, only you slice off limbs and heads biggrin.gif

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:42 AM

QUOTE (akavari112 @ Jun 9 2010, 13:40)
I've been thinking and realized it would be awesome if you could train, like meditating under a waterfall, slicing through bamboo stalks or sparring in a dojo with wooden swords. You could learn new techniques to wield your sword, and occasionally get special moves. It could be like deadeye, only you slice off limbs and heads biggrin.gif

there was a ps2 game thats exactly how you described it, can't remember the name off the top of my head though. You'd have to build up your stats doing little minigames then youd sword battle other ninjas.

but i personally think a pirate game by R* would be best, roaming the sea taking over others ships, ravaging through villages.. im sure they could find a way to make life at sea an exciting game, just look what they did with vast empty desert biggrin.gif

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:12 PM

Here's the big problem, at least for me: do they speak Japanese, or English? Because, to be honest I don't want to play some 30 hours of a game with one of the angriest languages in the world with subtitles, nor do I want to play with samurai that speak broken English. Unless they go with a Shogun-esque story, it'll probably be ignored.

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:29 PM

Given the hooge subculture that watches subtitled anime I don't think Japanese language would be a deterrent to sales. Grand Theft Ninja could be the first mainstream anything to pierce through the idiocy of remakes and dubs of foreign language movies or games.

When I first saw this thread my first thought was 'that's retarded' until I got to think about it a little. This would actually be pretty awesome.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:52 PM

Though if they went with Japanese subtitled dialogue, black and white with flashes of color, like an homage to Kurisawa films, would be absolutely fan-f*cking-tastic.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (Moonshield @ Jun 10 2010, 15:52)
Though if they went with Japanese subtitled dialogue, black and white with flashes of color, like an homage to Kurisawa films, would be absolutely fan-f*cking-tastic.

Nobody would buy that except for people with hard-ons for saucer-eyed young Jap cartoon chicks and movie buffs. But that would be f*cking ace.

As long as it's a short game, that is.

Kora
  • Kora

Parce que je suis la grenouille!

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE (GrandMaster Smith @ Jun 10 2010, 03:42)

there was a ps2 game thats exactly how you described it, can't remember the name off the top of my head though. You'd have to build up your stats doing little minigames then youd sword battle other ninjas.

If anyone tells me the title of this game, I'll give them one, huge sloppy kiss; possibly more.

One of the very first PS2 releases I played.

Akavari
  • Akavari

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:08 PM Edited by akavari112, 10 June 2010 - 07:12 PM.

QUOTE (Kora @ Jun 10 2010, 14:38)

If anyone tells me the title of this game, I'll give them one, huge sloppy kiss; possibly more.

This???
user posted image

About the language of this game, it would be English dialogue. maybe some Japanese remarks thrown around here and there to be authentic. It was like that for Mexico in RDR and worked fine.

The_Mario_Man
  • The_Mario_Man

Every 5 Minutes

• Members

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:21 PM

English with the occasional Japanese remark would work.

Has anyone ever watched Samurai Champloo on adult swim? I recall all of the characters speaking English, but actual native-English speakers all had Japanese subtitles.

Also, there has to be at least one massive Samurai battle at some point in the game.

Akavari
  • Akavari

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:14 PM Edited by akavari112, 10 June 2010 - 08:35 PM.

QUOTE (The_Mario_Man @ Jun 10 2010, 19:21)
English with the occasional Japanese remark would work.

Has anyone ever watched Samurai Champloo on adult swim? I recall all of the characters speaking English, but actual native-English speakers all had Japanese subtitles.

Also, there has to be at least one massive Samurai battle at some point in the game.

samurai champloo is one of my favorite animes, although its piss poor when it comes to historical accuracy haha (peasants beatboxing and such)

and yes, a huge samurai clash would be awesome. maybe even something like the Last Samurai where its old fashioned swordsmen charging into an army of government riflemen.

the more i ponder this concept the more i want Rockstar to make it! its a pretty damn reasonable idea for a great game.

heroe
  • heroe

V

• Members

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:09 PM

man, I was just putting up ideas for this yesterday, but mine was based on china, after a new lord comes in, the military gets strict and banned martial arts. They catch the protagonist's master teaching, and inprisons him, which leads the protagonist on a journey to save his master, and defeat the new lord, returning peace to the land.

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:48 AM

QUOTE (akavari112 @ Jun 10 2010, 11:08)

This???
user posted image

About the language of this game, it would be English dialogue. maybe some Japanese remarks thrown around here and there to be authentic. It was like that for Mexico in RDR and worked fine.

aha! thats the game, i havent played it for ages. whoever was describing that ninja game, kengo is exactly what you want. its not freeroam or nothing but it was pretty cool back in the day. they have little mini games where you have to put out flames of a candle with a sword, meditating under a waterfall and even slicing bamboo Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

Akavari
  • Akavari

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (GrandMaster Smith @ Jun 11 2010, 01:48)
QUOTE (akavari112 @ Jun 10 2010, 11:08)

This???
user posted image

aha! thats the game, i havent played it for ages. whoever was describing that ninja game, kengo is exactly what you want. its not freeroam or nothing but it was pretty cool back in the day. they have little mini games where you have to put out flames of a candle with a sword, meditating under a waterfall and even slicing bamboo Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

yeah ive played kengo too, but if this game existed then it would be mandatory to have those training minigames

General Goose
  • General Goose

Because Jeb Bush is all in my house with disease.

• Members

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:21 PM

They just do what Assassins Creed II did with Italy.

Anyway, yeah, it could be good.

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:08 PM

They should set the game during the Boshin War of 1868 to 1869. This was the period where Japan was experiencing rapid westernization which was threatening the livelihoods of the samurai. It would be good to play as a Ronin whose master was killed by the Imperial forces. Would be interesting to be able to fight for or against the Imperial forces or something.

Akavari
  • Akavari

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:12 PM Edited by akavari112, 12 June 2010 - 04:32 PM.

QUOTE (Jacky Fiend @ Jun 12 2010, 13:08)
They should set the game during the Boshin War of 1868 to 1869. This was the period where Japan was experiencing rapid westernization which was threatening the livelihoods of the samurai. It would be good to play as a Ronin whose master was killed by the Imperial forces. Would be interesting to be able to fight for or against the Imperial forces or something.

^^

There are also a lot of movies the game could borrow from, maybe a series of missions where you defend a helpless village from a legion of bandits (the seven samurai).

They could borrow all of the weapons and combat from Way of the Samurai. That game was a true PS2 gem and had it all down perfectly. There would different katanas with subtle cosmetic differences, but each one had its own distinct stance and moves. They could also borrow from Tenchu, adding a bunch of ninja equipment like hand claws, shurikens, chain sickle.

General Goose
  • General Goose

Because Jeb Bush is all in my house with disease.

• Members

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (Jacky Fiend @ Jun 12 2010, 13:08)

This. I loved the way RDR showed the Wild West becoming more "civilised", it would be great to see a similar thing only with Japan and Westernisation.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (Gronf @ Jun 10 2010, 13:12)
Unless they go with a Shogun-esque story, it'll probably be ignored.

Can't wait for Shogun 2...

I was thinking this too. How A Fistful of Dollars was based on Yojimbo and how RDR was based partially on the former and movies like it. Would be cool being a ronin and roaming the Japanese countryside, maybe hiring yourself out to daimyos or just gang leaders to do battles etc. Would give R* a chance to finally work on dismemberment and a bit more gore in their games tounge.gif

Akavari
  • Akavari

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (SIKKS66 @ Jun 13 2010, 16:24)
QUOTE (Gronf @ Jun 10 2010, 13:12)
Unless they go with a Shogun-esque story, it'll probably be ignored.

Can't wait for Shogun 2...

I was thinking this too. How A Fistful of Dollars was based on Yojimbo and how RDR was based partially on the former and movies like it. Would be cool being a ronin and roaming the Japanese countryside, maybe hiring yourself out to daimyos or just gang leaders to do battles etc. Would give R* a chance to finally work on dismemberment and a bit more gore in their games tounge.gif

there could be a deadeye system where you pick parts on your enemy's body and slice those parts, maybe dismembering extremities and whatnot.

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:41 PM

Imagining any style of game with RDR's graphics gets me excited, but thinking about this, it seems like a really good idea.

Crouching on a roof at night, lightning storm in the distance, waiting for your target.

Ooo, and stunning Japanese gardens as well, with petals blowing around. inlove.gif

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

Rockstar should make it. Honestly, Red Dead 3 and GTA VI could wait. An open-world samurai game would be much more fresh to the industry. Rockstar, do it!

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (Zancudo @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 14:10)
Rockstar should make it. Honestly, Red Dead 3 and GTA VI could wait. An open-world samurai game would be much more fresh to the industry. Rockstar, do it!

Congratulations on bumping a three-year-old thread!

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

I was going to make an exact one, but since it already exists - why make another?

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (The_Mario_Man @ Wednesday, Jun 9 2010, 16:12)
That would actually be pretty damn cool. It'd be good to see a rendition of Japan without that annoying mystical, anime crap.

Yeah, I'd love to see a game of that magnitude.. or even a representation of The Last Samurai.

Last decent asian game I've played like that was Tenchu back on PlayStation 1 I believe. Though it wasn't Samurai, it was Ninjas. Had a classic feel to it other than some Tekken like sh*t.

meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Gaming] 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2010

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:27 AM

QUOTE (akavari112 @ Wednesday, Jun 9 2010, 21:10)
Way of the Samurai

I'm a huge fan of those and the Tenchu games from way back. An open world game with a feudal Japanese setting but with the backing, style and intricacy of a Rockstar production would be a sight to see.

But I also feel like Rockstar could/should tackle something supernatural at some point as well. Undead Nightmare made me think how well they could do an open world game with a Silent Hill type direction, maybe with a little more subtlety (Paranormal Activity, Blair Witch Project).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users