9 replies to this topic
tubbs51
  • tubbs51

Superbowl 48 Champs! GO SEAHAWKS!!

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:35 AM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5253601

One of the best coaches in all of sports winning 10 national championships in 12 years as the Head coach of the UCLA mens Basketball team.

"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." RIP John Wooden

King Kapone
  • King Kapone

x N i g h t c a l l

• The Connection

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:01 AM

A day and a half has gone by and not one post. That's likely evidence of everyone asking themselves "who?"

I'll admit, I'm not aware of who John Wooden is. I'm not into college basketball, in the least, so it's hard to connect the name to anything relevant in my mind. However, I did research into his career as a head coach and he seems to have been a master of his trade. A lot of good was said of him, and he seemed to have reached and touched many of his players on a personal level. He will obviously be missed by many.

And to reach the ripe old age of 99? Worth a thread all on it's own.

viddy_pirate.gif KK

TommyMufc-Champs
  • TommyMufc-Champs

Account ditched. New account Tommy.

• Members

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:31 PM

Only a year off 100. R.I.P John Wooden even though I dont know who he Is.

leeg1931
  • leeg1931

That's what she said.

• Members

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:11 PM

Wow, a celebrity death topic not started by GhostStorm! That's a one in a million.

R.I.P.

tubbs51
  • tubbs51

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE (TommyMufc-Champs @ Jun 8 2010, 15:31)
Only a year off 100. R.I.P John Wooden even though I dont know who he Is.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/John_Wooden

In American Pro sports no coach has won so many championships nor have been so dominant than John Wooden. the guy has tons of motivating sayings as well

"Ability is a poor man's wealth"

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. "

"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do. "

After Wooden's wife died back in the 80s ever day he would writer her a letter. to this day no one has read them out of respect for Coach John Wooden. He wouldnt let any one read them when he was alive.

To put in perspective how successful he was in his profession he won 10 championships as a coach. the closest person to him in college basketball is only at 4 championships. His UCLA Bruins had 4 undefeated seasons. as a coach he won 664 games while only losing 162!

In other words he was the most popular sports figure in the United States.

im expecting a public memorial to have at least 50000 people to attend. maybe even more.

Bigs
  • Bigs

OG

• Members

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:46 AM

A little late I realize, but I just want to pay respects to the legend. He grew up not far from where I'm from, and I've been told that we were distant cousins.

Cool trivial sh*t aside; one hell of a coach, player, and human being. I'm glad he lived such a long and fulfilling life, but he will be missed!

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:15 AM

QUOTE (King Kapone @ Jun 6 2010, 22:01)
[color=a1b3c7]A day and a half has gone by and not one post. That's likely evidence of everyone asking themselves "who?"

American college sports personalities are a bit obscure elsewhere in the world and Sports Discussion here seems to be frequented a bit more by our European members rather than those in the US. But if there is one American college sports figure that should be known the world over, it is John Wooden.

Kind of sad his passing came as UCLA's rival USC gets sanctioned heavily for major violations. The "amateur" sanctity of college sports in reality was done away with years ago, but this kind of symbolizes its death. John Wooden knew only one way and it was the right way. He represents an era in college athletics that, like him, is no longer with us.

tubbs51
  • tubbs51

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:37 AM

QUOTE (Mainland Marauder @ Jun 19 2010, 05:15)
QUOTE (King Kapone @ Jun 6 2010, 22:01)
[color=a1b3c7]A day and a half has gone by and not one post. That's likely evidence of everyone asking themselves "who?"

American college sports personalities are a bit obscure elsewhere in the world and Sports Discussion here seems to be frequented a bit more by our European members rather than those in the US. But if there is one American college sports figure that should be known the world over, it is John Wooden.

Kind of sad his passing came as UCLA's rival USC gets sanctioned heavily for major violations. The "amateur" sanctity of college sports in reality was done away with years ago, but this kind of symbolizes its death. John Wooden knew only one way and it was the right way. He represents an era in college athletics that, like him, is no longer with us.

Yeah i agree MM.

he was the last great motivational sports head coach. one of the bigger than life types.

but he did help UCLA get to the College World Series in Baseball and Softball and won the Softball one even after death.

i12am
  • i12am

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:59 AM

He was the best college hoop coach of all time, but his ears frighten me

ILAK
  • ILAK

I'M A DADDY

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:51 AM