Photo

Real Vehicle engine sounds

22 replies to this topic
Zyo
  • Zyo

Homie

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:47 AM Edited by zyonig, 06 June 2010 - 01:10 AM.

Just released a new version of my v8 rumble sound pack on gtagarage, and I wanted to open a topic here to discuss feedback, issues, improvements, ect.

The mod replaces engine sounds for 38 vehicles with better sounding noises. In most cases the replacements are for the "normal" vehicles such as sedans, coupes and 4x4s and changes them from the whiny uninspiring original sounds to a proper V8 growl, like in the cutscenes, or in fact real life.

there are currently five different variations including:
Classic V8 - Glendale, Oceanic, Tornado, Glensh*t, Bullet
4x4s V8 - FBI Rancher, Huntley, Landstalker, Patriot, Rancher, Ranger, Sandking
1980s V8 - Bobcat, Greenwood, Manana, Moonbeam, Perennial, Regina, Romero, Sadler, Tampa, Virgo, Washington.
Sport V8 - Super Gt, cheetah, Comet, Turismo, Banshee
Coupe v6/v8 - Blista C, Club, Jester, Flash, Esperanto, Feltzer, Majestic, Tahoma

This does not change the lowrider (slamvan, savanna, broadway) sounds, the most modern regular cars (merit, Solair), many of the fast car (Buffalo, Phoenix) sounds or any of the bikes or trucks as I think the originals are fine. Although I would consider making these changes if there was a demand for it. Also this is not a import/tuner sound improvement, there are plenty of them around and some are really good.

So I am interested to hear any feedback or suggestions here, or to discuss bug reports (although I have tested extensively), and to help anyone out with installation issues, ect.....

Theres a few short youtube vids to preview, but please don't read too much into them. Try the mod out if you might be interested in this kind of thing (and always make backups biggrin.gif ).

The new video is done and you can watch it here:

Hope you like it.

txdeditor
  • txdeditor

• Members

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:02 PM

Cool. You say there's videos, could you post them here?

riquenunes
  • riquenunes

Soldier

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:55 PM

Seems nice, I'm interested in a video too. smile.gif

marmar6
  • marmar6

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:24 PM

nice, i've been looking for a good sound for the sabre(Chevelle SS tounge.gif )

Zyo
  • Zyo

Homie

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:50 AM

For those who are looking for videos, there are 3 quick fraps videos on the download page at GTAgarage to give you an idea of how they sound. Click on the link under the downloads to go to the page. Some have been improved since then, they were just quick test samples when I recorded them so like I said, don't read too much into them.

I am working on a proper full length video teaser right now and will hopefully be able to upload it some time tomorrow... Music is a problem right now, all my mp3s are kept on an external drive and it failed this morning so i don't have much to work with right now.... However all excuses aside I should be able to get a 2 minuteish trailer finished soon to display the mod properly. icon14.gif

Virtual Pancake
  • Virtual Pancake

Derp

• Members

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:39 PM

I would like to see some of the muscle car sounds changed as well. I personally think they are garbage and not beefy enough.

flashg
  • flashg

Tastes like raisins

• Feroci
  • Finland

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

Heh nice to see my old Dodge Diplomat

Nice mod you've built, I never saw or should I say heard good engine sound mod for SA before.

1TUFSS
  • 1TUFSS

Full Throttle.

• Members

Posted 15 August 2010 - 01:38 PM

Very nice. Although you didn't change the idle sound, it's nice to see a proper V8 sound mod which isn't full of 2400hp dragsters, late-model 'Vette recordings or NFS rips.

Rider916
  • Rider916

Ridin Loww

• Members

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:36 PM

the sounds are pretty good, luv the classic and 4x4, smooth sound transition between gears, unlike som other crappy ones

1TUFSS
  • 1TUFSS

Full Throttle.

• Members

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:07 PM Edited by 1TUFSS, 17 August 2010 - 01:10 PM.

Got it running in my game with all my other (tastefully chosen) sound modifications and the million bits I made for myself (I'm an avid SA:MP player/coder). Love how well the Porsche V8 fits in with the Buffalo, etc. and the way the SUVs just tick over and the beaters sound clapped-out as hell. +1 for you, make some more! Would love to see one suited to a balls-out muscle car, I've been trying to get a good one but can never find the perfect one.

Sam1970
  • Sam1970

American Fanatic

• Members

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:45 AM

Well these sounds are a way more acurate than originals crappy sounds in SA. Congrats!!! Very good work cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif inlove.gif

Mattatatta
  • Mattatatta

Over 10,000 downloads and recognised DYOM Mission Designer

• Members

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:07 AM

These are probably the only sounds I wouldn't think twice to install in my game. They are really high quality and, as already mentioned, work seamlessly when you're canging gears and such.

There is one problem I have noticed, though, and that is this: The sounds for one particular set of cars come in two banks, the first bank has two sounds, and the second has three. Now, let's say these are banks 1 and 2, respectively. Bank 1 has two sounds in it, as far I know sound1 is a sound that plays when the car is starting from a standing start to acceleration (when you're driving), when you're accelerating mid-air, and when civilians are driving the car and are cruising by. Now, the problem here is that the modified sound1 is a sound that is just acceleration, and cannot be looped. So, what happens is that when civilians drive past you it sounds like they are constantly revving the car, when you fly in the air it sounds like many revs are being made, and also the sound between standing still to accelerating seems a bit off.

Bank 2 contains the sounds that the car the player is driving shall play, sound1 = accelerating, sound2 = cruising, sound3 = letting foot off accelerator/gas. These are just fine when modded, as the modded sounds follow the same pattern.

All you have to do is check the two sounds in the lower-numbered Banks of each pair and make sure that the sounds follow the same format as the originals, sound1 needs to be loop-able, I'm not too sure about sound2, but it can be checked by listening to the original sound playing in Alci's SAAT GUI Frontend, since that program loops every sound in a similar way that the game would.

Don't think I'm bashing you or anything, this is just a very large bug report lol

Zyo
  • Zyo

Homie

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:53 AM

Guys thanks so much for all the feedback. It really is appreciated.

Heh nice to see my old Dodge Diplomat

Ah the mighty dodge diplomat, perfect for illustrating the smooth V8 sound....

Very nice. Although you didn't change the idle sound, it's nice to see a proper V8 sound mod which isn't full of 2400hp dragsters, late-model 'Vette recordings or NFS rips.

the sounds are pretty good, luv the classic and 4x4, smooth sound transition between gears, unlike som other crappy ones

Great, thats pretty much what I was going for. Good real-car sounds that were an improvement on the originals.

Mattatatta:
The issue with the idle sound is one that has been brought to my attention several times. Initially I thought it would be a good idea to add the rev effect to make it more interesting sounding for the driving part of the game. But it quickly became apparent to me (and to many others) that that particular sound loop is used differently when the vehicles are npcs. So I have gone ahead and tweaked out some of the sounds to be more "loopable", created a few new ones, and worked out some volume issues, all to improve the mod. It is in testing right now and I will probably release a new version soonish...... biggrin.gif

PreciousWall
  • PreciousWall

Diva

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:18 AM

i love all of them biggrin.gif except for 1980s V8 it is heard like a sh*t imo you should try to improve it wink.gif

Zyo
  • Zyo

Homie

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:44 AM

except for 1980s V8 it is heard like a sh*t imo you should try to improve it

Um ok. dontgetit.gif Improve it how? If you tell me what it is you don't like about it, then it is more likely to be something I can make changes to in a future version. Someone else mentioned it is too quiet. Personally I like it that way, it fits the vehicles. If it is the power on/npc driving loop, then I am making small changes to it soon, along with the some of the 4x4 sounds. Thanks for the comment.

KarmannGhia
  • KarmannGhia

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:25 PM

Do this for IV biggrin.gif

Zyo
  • Zyo

Homie

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:47 PM

Some small fixes have been made and an update will be available soon that adresses some of the issues raised in this topic.
Its in final testing right now.

Also:
Do this for IV

Sorry no plans for that right now. I dont have IV yet. Might be getting it sometime over the next few months though. Stay tuned.....

1TUFSS
  • 1TUFSS

Full Throttle.

• Members

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:59 AM

Nice to hear. wink.gif

Tol@te
  • Tol@te

#lazy dude#

• Members

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:23 PM

Man, the vids are fantastic.
But I really have no idea how to mod the sound files. confused.gif
Isn't it possible to upload just the SA sound file so anybody without the skills can replace that one file with the banks?
That would make it easier.
Only the modded main file with everything done...
I tried to use SAAT and followed the tutorials on YouTube, but I had no luck to even start the program.
Its way to tricky...

1TUFSS
  • 1TUFSS

Full Throttle.

• Members

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:19 AM

Good stuff.

Tol@te
  • Tol@te

#lazy dude#

• Members

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:40 PM

Oh man...I was so stupid!
I got it now.I managed to import the sounds. happy.gif

Maybe some sounds are a bit too quiet.

occupant
  • occupant

Occupant Ilied Industries

• Members

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:51 PM

These sounds are definitely an improvement over the in-game sounds. Sure the idles could be changed, but how much time do you spend at idle?

Another thing I would change for realism is the number of gears the vehicle shifts. Most of the V8 cars in this game would only have a 3-speed automatic. First would be pretty steep (2.5 or 3 to 1) and second would be not so much (1.5 or so to 1) and third was almost always 1 to 1 direct drive. Then you'd have a lockup torque converter which "sounds" like a shift to overdrive. So for game purposes you could set it as a 4-speed transmission. Like in the video, that '57 Chevy shifted 4 times, 1-2-3-4-5. That doesn't seem right. Shoot, back then the classic cars, they had Fordomatics and Powerglides and those only had two gears. It would be like having a regular 3-speed automatic but they skipped first gear. Powerglides have either 1.84 or 1.76 "first" or "low" gear and 1:1 second/high gear. And then overdrives, which you would see in 80's Fords and GMs, they would have a steeper first gear, like 2.24:1, and then second would be like 1.76:1, then third direct drive, and fourth would be 0.70:1 or 0.75:1 overdrive. Ford lockup converters automatically locked up for third and fourth so maybe use lower ratios for those gears (0.85 for third, 0.60 for fourth). GM lockup converters would lock up in third, then either stay in lockup to hit fourth, or unlock, then lockup again in fourth. So you might hear up to 6 "shifts" for a 4-speed automatic but one of them would sound like a downshift (coming out of lockup in third right before dropping in to fourth and then it would drop again into lockup).

So I guess that '57 Chevy had more or less a 200-4R, or 700-R4, and had the lockup converter.

That's one of those things I played around with in VC. I went through the data file for the handling, I think it was handling.cfg or whatever, and I made the cars have more realistic performance. It made a nice difference. I ensured the slow cars became slower, the normal cars became slow, the faster cars became normal, and the fastest cars stayed fast. I also tweaked the city bus to take off a little quicker to avoid being pinched by cops should I use one to escape. I reduced the number of gears, lowered top speeds, and lowered acceleration rates. It made a huge difference and kinda made the city feel bigger since you couldn't go so stupid fast.

I would hope that GTA IV has a way to change handling characteristics. I'm sure there is. I'm just too green to figure it out, and my computer isn't fast enough to run it anyway. For SA, I think it's the same as VC. Some kind of handling file and it lists all the vehicles. I used to have a link but now I can't find it. So I'll post a link to common transmission ratios for American automatics. Might help with the whole realism bit:

http://www.oldengine...dfoot/trans.htm

Illousion
  • Illousion

Over the hills and far away

• The Connection

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:22 AM

This is a terrific mod, great work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users