Photo

Recommended Reads

136 replies to this topic
VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Tuesday, Nov 27 2012, 11:19)
Has anyone read EXECUTIVE ORDERS? I'm confused over the 'mountain men' subplot
It just seems to fizzle out and I don't get it confused.gif

I haven't read it, have you read DEBT OF HONOUR, its the previous book and it would make more sense to read that if you haven't. Also here to make a recommendation.

Title: Game Of Thornes (A Song of Fire and Ice: Book One)
Author: George R. R. Martin
ISBN: 0-00-224584-1
Recommended By: VProductions
Description: An epic fantasy novel set in a vividly described world, the story tells of the treachery, greed and war threatening the Seven Kingdoms south of the Wall. In a world scarred by battle and catastrophe, it describes the deeds of a people locked in conflict and the legacy they will leave their children. It has nine protagonists.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE (VProductions @ Monday, Jan 21 2013, 09:45)
QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Tuesday, Nov 27 2012, 11:19)
Has anyone read EXECUTIVE ORDERS? I'm confused over the 'mountain men' subplot
It just seems to fizzle out and I don't get it confused.gif

I haven't read it, have you read DEBT OF HONOUR, its the previous book and it would make more sense to read that if you haven't.

I have indeed. I've been reading them all in chronological order. Just finished Rainbow Six again, and am waiting for The Bear and the Dragon to come into the library.

Thanks for the recommendation. It's been added. smile.gif

BY THE WAY, has anyone notice some strange behavior from Amazon? I looked up a book the other day and it was going to cost 400. Example: CLICK - says $224.25. I know there's financial difficulties, but that book cost me 8. WTF?

Yet on amazon UK you can buy it for a PENNY!!!! I am confused.

here is another example. $132?!

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

Only thing I could suggest is that it wasn't printed in the US so they're specifically importing it? That or that it's out of print there and has become rare? I wonder if they actually get anyone buying it for that amount. whatsthat.gif

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

I've also thought that. I wanted a Johnny Cash book and thought perhaps because he had died, the value was high. The fact that .com is >$100 and .co.uk is <10 makes me think that could be import/shipping. That said i've bought a book from the US once that cost me 3/4, inc of shipping and tax. I found it very strange

BTW, got a recommendation? tounge.gif

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

If I must, then To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. tounge.gif

I don't care all that much for the style itself, but the themes and symbolism it contains - and the way she layers it in - is extraordinary.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

The vulgar, Irish, writer!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

Sort of, kinda, not really, maybe, a literature-based book, but Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead series is a brilliant read.

ALRIGHT IT'S A GRAPHIC NOVEL! DON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT! barf8bd.gif

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (Eminence @ Tuesday, Jan 22 2013, 00:01)
If I must, then To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. tounge.gif

I don't care all that much for the style itself, but the themes and symbolism it contains - and the way she layers it in - is extraordinary.

haha you don't have to, you're one of the better writers here (better than myself), and actually remind me of my secondary school english teacher (lol), so was curious what book you'd recommend! I'll add to the lighthouse soon tounge.gif

Ziggy - by "graphic novel" do you mean "comic" ? tounge.gif

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Graphic Novels are different! sad.gif The Walking Dead volumes have about 200 pages so calling them comics feels wrong to me.

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

I think comics are part of the story whereas graphic novels are the full story.

On another note, is anyone excited for the Doctor Sleep aka The Shining 2 by Stephen King?

http://en.wikipedia....r_Sleep_(novel)

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (VProductions @ Tuesday, Jan 22 2013, 21:38)
I think comics are part of the story whereas graphic novels are the full story.

On another note, is anyone excited for the Doctor Sleep aka The Shining 2 by Stephen King?

http://en.wikipedia....r_Sleep_(novel)

I preferred the title 'Mr. Sleep' for some reason. And yes, I damn-well am! Apparently Salem's Lot vampires are returning! inlove.gif

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:12 AM

I'm honestly unsure about graphic novels
Not something I've laid attention to. Is it just a novel with a few pictures or a comic with more words? Like does it stand up on its own legs in terms of writing talent and technique? Or does it fail without the pictures?

H.I.M.
  • H.I.M.

☻The Steaked MC. ☺

• Members

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

The Village by The Sea is also an exciting book by Anita Desai published in 1982. It's based on the poverty, hardships and sorrow faced by a small rural, community in India. It won an award too.

user posted image

zeppelincheetah
  • zeppelincheetah

Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

The whole Song of Ice And Fire series is a must read. That's already been mentioned (book 1: Game of Thrones) but I want to back that up. I'm not into fantasy so don't be turned off by its fantasy aspects. It has great character development and a good story. The first three are excellent. The 4th and 5th are two halves of one very fractured story with way too much going on but with not much happening and can be frustrating.

The Hunger Games Trilogy is fantastic:

The Hunger Games
Catching Fire
MockingJay

I really like nonfiction fiction:

In Arabian Nights by Tahir Shah
Travels by Michael Crighton (who usually writes fiction obviously)

I like biographies as well:

Malcolm X's autobiography
Come as you are: the story of nirvana
John Mccain: Faith of My Fathers
Barack Obama: Dreams of my Father

Another good book is Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell which is historical comedy. Great for history buffs that get frustrated by authors that don't know how to make a book interesting.

A very very good book is Game Over: Press Start to Continue (the story of Nintendo from 1889 to about 1993) There really needs to be a "sequel" because so much has happened in 20 years. The chapters towards the end are annoyingly dated - but the story of Nintendo getting their start and conquering the world in the late 80's is captivating and a very enjoyable read.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Read through the topic, and see how others have posted their recommendations.

Fiction stories only, not biographies or non-fiction books.

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

I bought World War Z yesterday, I'm thirty-six pages in and it's starting to get quite interesting. I like how it's set out with interviews and first person narratives etc. There's a lot of view and perspectives on the events by different characters and the narrator tries to keep the book so it is only the survivors speaking. So far 8/10. smile.gif

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

Grill

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • San-Marino

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:28 PM Edited by Nipperkins, 27 July 2013 - 11:33 PM.

Everyone read 'The Stars My Destination'. Do it. Do it now.

Edit: Which series is more interesting? Dune, or A Song of Ice and Fire?

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:26 AM Edited by AceRay, 28 July 2013 - 04:27 AM.

I've read about a dozen John Grisham law thrillers over the past six months or so and I have to say this one is my favourite so far, I'll get around to some others later.

Title: The Partner
Author: John Grisham
ISBN: 0345531957
Recommended By: AceRay
Description: It took years but they found him. He was in South America, with a different name, but they had finally found him. Years ago, he had stolen all the money from the firm, money that was already dirty and ran off, leaving his wife and child. Now, justice waits I like this book because its the most morally ambiguous of Grisham's books, the main character is sympathetic but also kind of a d*ck, usually they're some awesome good guy who's perfect at everything like in The Associate or The Firm but this guy has flaws and that's what makes him interesting. Also, its got an interesting structure with most of the action taking place in the backstory and the story is more of finding out how it went down and the aftermath of what happened. Its asks what happens when the hero is eventually caught, which is interesting. The ending isn't brilliant but then Grisham has never really been good at ending his books. Definitely worth a read. Also, this is the only Grisham book I've read where the main character gets along with his mother, for some reason, all the other protags don't get along with their mothers, maybe he's got mummy issues or something.

EDIT; screw it, let's do all of them I've read. This is in no particular order, just what comes to mind.

Title: The Firm
ISBN: 0099301199
Description: So Awesome McCoolLawyer aka Mitch McDeere joins a firm in some small town instead of a big firm because of an offer that seems too good to be true like a home and car, all paid for by the firm. Life is good. But then he starts to suspect something suspicious at the firm and then he unravels a web of conspiracies. I read this after The Partner (the first one I read) and was dissappointed, but in retrospect its pretty good, good action and intrigue. But some things bothered me. Firstly, the main character's wife never finds out that Mitch f*cked a girl in the Caribbean while on holiday, I knew the firm was using it for blackmail against Mitch. It contradicts Awesome McCoolLawyer if he's an a$$hole to his wife, I thought it would come up again but he gets off scott free for it. Secondly, Mitch is too perfect. All the characters are constantly sucking his c0ck, even the bad guys will comment on how hard working and smart he is. He has no flaws and that makes him very boring. One thing I will say is good about this book is that this delivers on the action in the last third. In a lot of Grisham's books, he builds up to the awesome confrontation and action but never delivers on it, in The Firm, I actually felt like there was really a huge manhunt on and there was a lot of tension, so its good for that front, if a little shallow. Read the Partner first, then this one.

Title: The Associate
ISBN: 0440243823
Description: The Firm happens but with less intrigue. Kyle Somebody is blackmailed into stealing sh*t from a firm by some sleazy bad guys (and Grisham makes you know they're sleazy by always describing their every move as such) but its all just buildup to something that happens at the end of the novel in like a couple of pages rather than the thrill page turner that was the conclusion to The Firm. At least in Firm, Mitch did stuff for himself, Kyle is constantly heaping his problems onto others and getting them to solve it, he's a weak character. Only read if you're a diehard Grisham fan, its the most predictable and rehashed novel he's written.

Title: The Last Juror
ISBN: 044024157X
Description: The blurb of The Last Juror promises an exciting, nail-biting hunt for ex-fugitive Danny Padgitt, prison for rape and murder 10 years prior but released the prison and now done for revenge of the jury that sent him to jail in 1970s Mississippi. The novel would consist of thrill and intrigue. Instead, none of that happens. Well, it does happen, but its not the focus of the book and only happens at the start and end of the novel. Instead, its about some douchebag reporter opening a newspaper and his random reportings during the 70s. If you're interested in rural Mississippi in the 1970s, then this novel is for you, if you want suspense and drama, then avoid. This book is a bore.

Title: The Chamber
ISBN: 0440220602
Description: So the young lawyer dude in this book is called Adam Hall, who has to defend his granddad Sam Cayhall, who was a bomber for the KKK and blew up a Jewish lawhouse and accidently killed two young boys. Now he is on deathrow and after 10 years, his time is up. Adam has to try to defend him. This is one of the better ones. The writing is good, the main character is still Awesome McCoolLawyer but he's much more subdued than Mitch because he has to constantly deal with how f*cked up his family is, which is an aspect I liked. You actually get to sympathize with the crazy old murderer, which was tough to pull off. Didn't like the aunt as she distracted from the main plot and could have been cut and it screams of Grisham's own disapproval of the execution system, although I do agree with it, it could have been a bit more subdued. but overall this was good.

Title: The Rainmaker
ISBN: 044022165X
Description: This is one of my favourites I think. This college student called Rudy Baylor is about to leave for a firm but then that firm closes down and he's forced to start from the bottom with a really seedy firm and become an ambulance chaser. Then he stumbles upon a big insurance conspiracy and this could be the biggest case he'll ever handle up against the best lawyers in town. Rude manages to avoid being Awesome McAwesomeLawyer by kinda sucking but really wanting to help people anyway. The parts where he's dirt poor deliver some really interesting moments. You get an emotional connection to his clients, who have been trampled over by the big corps and are now dying and you can't help but feel sorry for them. The B-plot of the abused wife is less interesting and kinda overshadows the main plot in the conclusion but its okay. The courtroom scenes are fantastically imagined and are some of the best courtroom scenes Grisham has made, they're really awesome. Try to have a read of this one sometime.

Title: The Street Lawyer
ISBN: 0385339097
Description: So this is kind of like the beginning part of The Rainmaker, where the protagonist is dirt poor on the street but kind of streetched out throughout the entire novel. Its kind of a reversal of the traditional story, where a guy in the big firm, after a violent encounter with a homeless man which ends with him dead, wants to help society and become a street lawyer, working for real clients instead of figures and big corporations. He then stumbles into a conspiracy which forced a bunch of illegal squatters onto the streets. Its a nice change of pace but a little vapid in parts. I'd say give it a shot.

Title: The Confession
ISBN: 0440245117
Description: So there's this old murderer guy who rapes and murders this teenage girl and then gets away scott free from the crime when this other kid gets caught and is convicted of the crime. This is the main character. Don't worry, he dying of cancer, so he wants redemptions so he contacts this priest dude and they have to get to the other guy's lawyer before he gets executed. I like the pacing and short time frame of the book, its like over a weekend compared to the months they usually take in a Grisham book, this means its well paced and exciting. However, its a little lacking in actual story, its a fun read though, try it out if you want.

Title: The Brethren
ISBN: 0440236673
Description: I don't know. There's these three old judges in a low security prison who are running a scam by pretending to be young men interested in a gay relationship with rich middle aged guys, then blackmailing them with the letters to get money. This is also related to some senator who's being used by the CIA to become the president so that he'll prevent World War 3 with a Russian general who is amassing power and nuclear arms. Wait, what? Is this Grisham or Tom Clancy? All the Russian paranoia feels like it came out in the 70s. Also, The trouble is I don't know who to root for in this situation. I'm not rooting for the three main characters as they're blackmailing people out of money. I'm not rooting for the CIA as they're clearly using the senator. I'm not rooting for the senator because he's a dumbass with no personality. So there's no main character. Also, it feels very dated with all these letters and sh*t, its all emails now so its not as good a read as it was it in 2000

Title: The Appeal
ISBN: 0345532023
Description: I liked this one, although apparently most others didn't. Now lets sing along; there's this big bad corp who are f*cking over the little guy by dumping toxins in water, causing an entire town to become infected. Awesome McCoolLawyer and wife, for a change, discover this and work hard to take them down in court. They win. Then the novel starts. The big bad corp enters an appeal to reverse the claim and while its processed, they scam a conservative lawyer into becoming the judge of the appeal so he'll pass the appeal and they don't lose anything. I like how the novel has the usual Awesome McCoolLawyer(s) as decoys for the real plot, that was a nice feature. However, its a little predictable and the judge guy is kind of dumb for not noticing the obvious evil in front of him but its a fun subversive read nonetheless.

I think that's it, I started reading The Summons about a month ago but stopped halfway, if I ever finish it, I'll tell you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users