Recommended Reads

136 replies to this topic
xAvenged7x
  • xAvenged7x

A7x foREVer

• Members

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:02 AM

One of my favorite books is called "One FAT Summer."

It's about a fat kids hilarious summer adventure.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

TITLE: The Dice Man
AUTHOR:Luke Rhinehart
ISBN: 0-00-000-00
RECOMMENDED BY: Ziggy455
DESCRIPTION: Luke Rhinehart is miserable with his life; he can't write anymore, he's bored with his life as a psychiatrist due to the discovery of Zen. One night after a few drinks he decides that if an askew dice he has found has a face of one up, he will go and rape his neighbour. The book if a wonderfully abstract look at chance and such. It details the evolution of the dice into a sort of religion. Brilliant read. Makes you think, and definitely makes you laugh.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE (Ziggy455 @ Sunday, Jul 22 2012, 15:11)
DESCRIPTION: Luke Rhinehart is miserable with his life; he can't write anymore, he's bored with his life as a psychiatrist due to the discovery of Zen. One night after a few drinks he decides that if an askew dice he has found has a face of one up, he will go and rape his neighbour. The book if a wonderfully abstract look at chance and such. It details the evolution of the dice into a sort of religion. Brilliant read. Makes you think, and definitely makes you laugh.

I've added that. Now the library should hurry up and get Executive Orders in so i can get my clancy readthrough finished and read some of these.

Coat.
  • Coat.

Coz' imma rocket scientist

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Australia

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

TITLE: Journeys Out of the Body
AUTHOR: Robert Monroe
ISBN: 978-0385008617
RECOMMENDED BY: Coat.
DESCRIPTION: With more than 300,000 copies sold to date, this is the definitive work on the extraordinary phenomenon of out-of-body experiences, by the founder of the internationally known Monroe Institute. While spontaneously having an out-of-body experience, radio producer, Robert Monroe becomes curious; rather worried. Visiting personal doctors and psychiatrists, all having no solution until a close friend of his suggested the idea of 'out-of-body' experiences. Robert dove into that study and this book gives clear detail about his experiences.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (Coat. @ Monday, Jul 23 2012, 09:44)
DESCRIPTION: With more than 300,000 copies sold to date, this is the definitive work on the extraordinary phenomenon of out-of-body experiences, by the founder of the internationally known Monroe Institute. While spontaneously having an out-of-body experience, radio producer, Robert Monroe becomes curious; rather worried. Visiting personal doctors and psychiatrists, all having no solution until a close friend of his suggested the idea of 'out-of-body' experiences. Robert dove into that study and this book gives clear detail about his experiences.

Silly question, but that is fiction isn't it? Not a biography or factual?

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Monday, Jul 23 2012, 09:24)

I've added that. Now the library should hurry up and get Executive Orders in so i can get my clancy readthrough finished and read some of these.

I have that - It is a huge book. dontgetit.gif

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE (Ziggy455 @ Monday, Jul 23 2012, 13:33)
QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Monday, Jul 23 2012, 09:24)

I have that - It is a huge book. dontgetit.gif

send it this way then please! The library are struggling to get hold of it!

Coming to the end of Debt of Honour, and actually laughing at the japanese in it: they wage war on the US then complain because the US say "stop or we'll fight" and they act like spoilt children! Very good book though, and the reasons for the war to begin with are well explained tounge.gif

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Monday, Jul 23 2012, 10:48)

OBEs are real and are linked with Astral Projection and Lucid Dreams to an extent. I'd say that is a factual based book. biggrin.gif

Coat.
  • Coat.

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Australia

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Monday, Jul 23 2012, 10:48)

It's a factual story and is all real. Google "Robert Monroe" and you might get some information on him. To my knowledge, he does have a biography but haven't read it. I suggest you read it as there a 3 books in the series; Journeys out of the body, Far Journeys, Ultimate Journeys.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

unfortunately, if it's factual, i can not ad it to the list, because, as i stated in the first post, this is for fiction only. Factual books and biographies or the like, this topic is not for.

Commander Rofl
  • Commander Rofl

Segern ar var!

• Members
  • England

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

TITLE: Firewall
AUTHOR: Andy Mcnab
ISBN: 059-304-61-61
RECOMMENDED BY: Rofl50
DESCRIPTION: It's one of a series of Nick Stone thriller books by Andy Mcnab. An ex-SAS officer now working for British Intelligence finds himself to be a disposable pawn in a deadly game of cat-and-mouse between the superpowers. Being a deniable operative, he is in deadly danger, but he needs the money. He works for The R.O.C (Russian Organised Crime) to get the job done and is very brutal and realistic in it's detail.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:30 AM

TITLE: 1984
AUTHOR: George Orwell
ISBN:1595404325
RECOMMENDED BY: AceRay
DESCRIPTION:You all know about this one! Orwell's Magnum Opus, 1984, as brought us many great phrases woven into our culture; Big Brother, thoughtcrime, Ministry of Love, Room 101, Oceania and Ingsoc to name a few. Relive the terrified mind of Winston Smith, a worker of the totalitarian government of Oceania and the thoughtcrime he experiences that must lead to his destruction. Harrowing, thoughtful and brilliant.

Coat.
  • Coat.

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Australia

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 09:09)
unfortunately, if it's factual, i can not ad it to the list, because, as i stated in the first post, this is for fiction only. Factual books and biographies or the like, this topic is not for.

Damn... all well, do give it a read though. Is it possible to make a fiction and non-fiction table. I know that there would be more fiction but do give it a look at; it's a great read.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

Non fiction books will have absolutely no place in this forum. Such a topic would belong in THE LOUNGE/general Chat section. It'd be like posting a story inthe GFX section. I might check the book out anyway as it sounds kinda interesting .

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

TITLE: The Godfather
AUTHOR: Mario Puzo
ISBN: 0099528126
DESCRIPTION: One of Puzo's greatest. It chronicles the lives of the Corleone family between 1945 to 1955. Michael Corleone, the only clean member makes a choice that sets in motion the events that will change the Corleone family forever. Bit slow but picks up soon enough. Recommended to all who love Crime.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (Ziggy455 @ Thursday, Aug 16 2012, 18:51)
DESCRIPTION: One of Puzo's greatest. It chronicles the lives of the Corleone family between 1945 to 1955. Michael Corleone, the only clean member makes a choice that sets in motion the events that will change the Corleone family forever. Bit slow but picks up soon enough. Recommended to all who love Crime.

You know, somehow, i haven't actually read that. I found the films boring (but i've matured since and vow to try them again), but that's going on my list smile.gif

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Thursday, Aug 16 2012, 20:01)
QUOTE (Ziggy455 @ Thursday, Aug 16 2012, 18:51)

You know, somehow, i haven't actually read that. I found the films boring (but i've matured since and vow to try them again), but that's going on my list smile.gif

The style of the movies don't really stick to the book. The book focuses more on the action and the characters than it does to description and setting. It's a wonderful book, picks up midway through and I couldn't put it down. Every character has their own story throughout the book at some time. biggrin.gif

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

Title: Star Wars: Death Troopers
AUTHOR: Joe Schreiber
ISBN: 978-0345520814
DESCRIPTION: I love two things; Star wars, and Zombies. I figured since there's enough Star Wars novels to fill a library, I wondered if there was one that actually included the munching dead. Turns out that Death Troopers is one of those rare books that are brilliant. It focuses on the Prison Transport Ship entitled Purge. It comes across a derelict, decrepit Star Destroyer floating in space. Once a recon crew get up to it, it turns out the Empire left it out there for a reason. Brilliantly paced, scary with a twist of humor and two memorable characters. Definitely a recommended read!

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:56 PM

interesting suggestion Ziggy. I had no idea there was such a thing. I didn't even know there were star wars novels! Maybe i should send City of Lies to Rockstar and try to get them to publish it haha

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Wednesday, Aug 22 2012, 13:56)
interesting suggestion Ziggy. I had no idea there was such a thing. I didn't even know there were star wars novels! Maybe i should send City of Lies to Rockstar and try to get them to publish it haha

Oh mate, trust me, there's hundreds of novels! I've read a few, and to be honest all of them are wonderful reads. You've got absolutely hundreds ranging from the backstory of Han, to crossover fiction such as Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina. Check some of them out, I've got a few on my Kindle and I love them. Course I grew up with Star Wars so I'm an avid fan.

Except for that CGI Clone Wars series. suicidal.gif

Yossarianite
  • Yossarianite

Slumerican sh*tizen

• Members

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

I'd recommend 'Catch 22' and 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'

Catch 22's follows John Yossarian and his wartime experiences, failed attempts to get out of the army.

mark-2007
  • mark-2007

Big Homie

• The Connection

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:59 PM

I'm busy reading Catch 22 at the moment, gt about a hundred or so pages left. Great book so far. Just starting to take a turn for the more serious, but great dialogue throughout and very funny. Heller's writing reminds me of a stand-up comedian, with the repetition and call-backs and whatnot.

Is this topic only for fiction? I've been reading a great book on the Roman Republic called Rubicon by Tom Holland. Not too far in, what with trying to get through Catch 22 and a couple of others, but so far, so good.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:56 PM

Yes, only fiction. I felt it was better to omit nonfiction and self-written works from this topic, and share those little gems that the rest of us probably wouldn't look twice at.

And the classics of course.

MikeMyth
  • MikeMyth

Livin' It Up At The Hotel California

• Members

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:16 PM

Stephen King - "IT" What a good read. Scared the sh*t out of me.

OdDsOcK
  • OdDsOcK

Overseer of the Congregation

• Members

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:50 PM

I'm gonna have to disagree with whoever put the Splinter Cell books up there, David Michaels is a sh*tty writer. Just terrible.

Title: Lolita
Author: Vladimir Nabokov
ISBN: 679-72316-1
Recommended By: OdDsOcK
Description: In the most basic of synopses, this is a book written from the first person perspective of a pedophile and his doomed love for a young girl. Revolting as the basis for the story may be, the author engages the reader with beautiful, heartfelt writing that almost makes you want to sympathize with the anti-hero, who is not a creepy old man but in fact a very intellectual and handsome Frenchman. Nabokov's writing is like poetry with every sentence, and you gain the truest essence of the anti-hero and his thoughts and feelings. It's pretty much impossible for me to write exactly why this book is so amazing, but it really opened my mind on forms of writing and the intensity it can portray.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE (OdDsOcK @ Monday, Oct 1 2012, 23:50)
I'm gonna have to disagree with whoever put the Splinter Cell books up there, David Michaels is a sh*tty writer. Just terrible.

I admit he's not brilliant (though he's two different people, one of which writes James Bond)
But I enjoyed them. Perhaps it's the charm of Splinter Cell, I don't know but I can't argue they lack in quality somewhat
Kind of like McDonalds - sometimes it's nice to instead of eating fillet steak, having a McDonalds once every now and then,

I'll add your recommendation (good one btw) to the post when I'm back from holiday smile.gif

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:48 AM Edited by AceRay, 26 November 2012 - 10:42 PM.

TITLE: Pay the Devil
AUTHOR: Jack Higgins
ISBN: 0006514367
RECOMMENDED BY: Your friendly neighbourhood Spiderman
DESCRIPTION: A thrilling, entertaining read about Confederate Colonel Clay Fitzgerald, who flees to Ireland after losing the Civil War to live in peace but soon becomes swept up in the local conflict between the rich landowners and the poor tenants. Not a long read (finished it over about three days while I had busy work at the time) and it isn't the deepest novel you'll ever read but its got great action scenes and the main character reminds me, physically, of John Marston, what with the accent and scars and such, not to mention great horse chases. icon14.gif

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

That sounds pretty cool man. Once I've finished my Tom Clancy series readthrough (man is that taking ages) I might look into this one. sounds interesting.

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:49 PM Edited by AceRay, 26 November 2012 - 10:52 PM.

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Monday, Nov 26 2012, 23:35)
That sounds pretty cool man. Once I've finished my Tom Clancy series readthrough (man is that taking ages) I might look into this one. sounds interesting.

I honestly think that the premise could make for an awesome Red Dead 3. Jaded veteran flees to Ireland to live in peace and discovers a battle between rich and poor. I'd love to relive the Easter Rising or the guerilla warfare of the Irish Civil War for instance, since I studied the conflict in History last year. It would also create an interesting mix of primitive farming and horse riding compared the big bustling life of Dublin with there being great social and political commentaries, kind of like the Mexico section of RDR but on a grand scale. Irish peasants were still living like in the middle ages up until the 1920s so you could still have the whole western feel to it, despite it being in Ireland.

That's what I'd do at least.

I also read The Good Guy but it kind of blew. I already talked about it in the book thread:
SPOILERS
http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1061975117
http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1061982036

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

Has anyone read EXECUTIVE ORDERS? I'm confused over the 'mountain men' subplot
It just seems to fizzle out and I don't get it confused.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic