• Members
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:44 AM

Thanks. you two books have been added.

Incidnelty i've started reading A scanner Darkly.

Sor far, i'm finding it hard to follow. Not too far into it and i will update this as appropriate. I had hoped more peeopl would come by here and discuss the books but that doesnt appear to have happened.

From a writing point of view however, A scanner Darkly certainly appears to be well written. Watch this space!

And b tw i do highly encourage discussing these books here. smile.gif Invite your friends!

Failure
  • Failure

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:13 PM

It would be a shame to see this topic fail like others of this type, so I'll add three additions with a brief description. All three of these novels are written by Italian novelist Niccolo Ammaniti. Ammaniti's work is always centred in Italy. Ammaniti's narrative is engaging, his written style flowing and absorbing and the tales he weaves ultimately humorous and emotionally involving. Ammaniti's works concern different areas of Italy, the rustic, rural Italy of a bygone age is represented flawlessly in "I'm Not Scared" whereas "The Crossroads" differs to present a more modern realisation. I have told very little about the actual contents of his novels, but I assure you he is deserving of his acclaim. These are the three I believe he's written to date:

1.Steal you Away.

2.I'm Not Scared.

3.The Crossroads.

Let's keep this topic alive.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE (elanman @ Aug 9 2010, 23:13)
It would be a shame to see this topic fail like others of this type, so I'll add three additions with a brief description. All three of these novels are written by Italian novelist Niccolo Ammaniti. Ammaniti's work is always centred in Italy. Ammaniti's narrative is engaging, his written style flowing and absorbing and the tales he weaves ultimately humorous and emotionally involving. Ammaniti's works concern different areas of Italy, the rustic, rural Italy of a bygone age is represented flawlessly in "I'm Not Scared" whereas "The Crossroads" differs to present a more modern realisation. I have told very little about the actual contents of his novels, but I assure you he is deserving of his acclaim. These are the three I believe he's written to date:

1.Steal you Away.

2.I'm Not Scared.

3.The Crossroads.

Let's keep this topic alive.

Thanks. I do think nowadays books are dying.no one seems to want to read anymore!

I'll add your suggestions at some point tomorrow smile.gif Thanks for the reply.

Tyler
  • Tyler

bubblingbubblingbubbling

• NATO
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:42 AM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Aug 10 2010, 00:32)
nowadays books are dying.no one seems to want to read anymore!

yeah no kidding. Nowadays, I find it harder and harder to read from books. In fact, I read more novels online off my computer screen then from a book on one of my many shelves.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:22 AM Edited by Mokrie Dela, 10 August 2010 - 01:30 AM.

QUOTE (Unoriginal44 @ Aug 10 2010, 00:42)
QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Aug 10 2010, 00:32)
nowadays books are dying.no one seems to want to read anymore!

yeah no kidding. Nowadays, I find it harder and harder to read from books. In fact, I read more novels online off my computer screen then from a book on one of my many shelves.

i'm the opposite - i can't read to much on screens. Give me a physical book over IBooks or Ebooks or whatever anyday smile.gif

@elanman, can you give me a short discription on each of the 3 you suggested, saying why people should read THAT particular book?

Tyler
  • Tyler

bubblingbubblingbubbling

• NATO

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:46 AM

Well what I meant was I grew up my whole life reading beside a lamp at night. It is much easier for my eyes to read off the already lit computer screen. I do like all the books I read off of my shelf, but nowadays I prefer the screen.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE (Unoriginal44 @ Aug 10 2010, 01:46)
Well what I meant was I grew up my whole life reading beside a lamp at night. It is much easier for my eyes to read off the already lit computer screen. I do like all the books I read off of my shelf, but nowadays I prefer the screen.

Fair enough. At the end of the day maybe this ibooks etc is a good thing, maybe more people will buy books in one form or another.

In my opinion though, you can't beat the feel of a book when you're reading.

nerner
  • nerner

OG

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

I would like to recommend a few books while I'm here.

1. Killing Floor by Lee Childs:

First in a long series starring the charismatic and brilliant in every way Jack Reacher. A drifter passing through town coincides with the first murder in the town's history, but as the body count mounts it becomes painfully clear that they have picked the wrong guy to take the fall...

2. Too close to Home by Linwood Barclay:
I think that this book surpasses his first book, recommended earlier on in the thread by General Goose, when it comes to twists and turns. I'll simply post the tagline from the blurb to see if it absorbs you all.

"What's more terrifying than your next door neighbours being murdered?
Finding out that they went to the wrong house..."

How can you not love that?

3. Abandoned by Cody McFadyen
Not the first book of his, so I would possibly suggest starting out at the beginning of the series, however this dark psychological thriller about abduction, kidnapping, murder and the FBI task force sent to find the culprit is absolutely rammed full of twists and turns, with an ending that is impossible to predict.

4. The Shack by W.P. Young
Can't really describe this book adequately in a short space, so I'll just copy over a part of a review by Susannah Young. Source.
"I started William Young’s book The Shack thinking that it was just going to be another work of fiction, a pleasant read hopefully, albeit with a bit of God thrown in to the storyline. In fact as I read it I realised this book is unique in the way in which the writer’s theological passions fuse with a powerful and moving story. The result is a work that has the power to potentially open the reader’s eyes afresh to learn more about the truth of man’s relationship with God and the freedom found within that. Deeply complex theological issues are explored including freedom, reality, relationships, the law, grace, heaven, evil, pain and suffering in an accessible and tangible way that moves these issues away from being just an abstract theological discussion, to connect them with the reality of life.

Mackenzie (Mack) Allen Philip’s, an ordinary American, though one with a painful past of his own, decides one weekend to take his kids on a camping trip in the mountains of Oregon. Nothing unusual – just a fun filled weekend of campfires, hiking, canoeing and enjoying the great outdoors. Until tragedy strikes in the most unexpected way. Mack’s two older kids are out canoeing when they lose control and the canoe flips over. The reader naturally expects that one or both of them drowns, but Mack succeeds in saving them. Yet while his attention is focused on saving them, a serial killer abducts his younger daughter Missy. As the search progresses, the dress she had been wearing is found torn and bloodied in a Shack, high up in the mountains, implying that she has been murdered.

What follows for Mack is a time of several years described as The Great Sadness. Mack cannot forgive himself, and perhaps understandably, he blames God for allowing such a tragedy to happen to him. His relationship with God only worsens, becoming stoic and devoid of emotion. Until, one day Mack finds a note in his post box, signed “Papa” (God) inviting him to return to the Shack. Unsure if it is a cruel joke, a trick by the killer or whether it really is God trying to speak to him, curiosity gets the better of Mack and he decides to return to the scene of his daughter’s murder."

Sound like bible-bashing bullsh*t? Well it isn't. It's intensely moving and really makes you think, not necessarily about God or miracles, but about how to live your life...
Hopefully no spoilers up there, basically just a glorified blurb when I reread it.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (nerner @ Aug 11 2010, 15:37)

Can't really describe this book adequately in a short space,

Then, please tell us why you're recommending it. What is so brilliant about this book?
Im not knocking it but the aim of the description box is to say to people why they should read it - why it's so good.

I'm not going to copy a review from an outside source - the reason have to come from you, why you think everyone should check them out.

A note for future posters too - tell us why you think we should read it.

smile.gif Thanks for the reply though, nerner, i'll add the first two suggestions and add the third when you've posted your own reasons tounge.gif
smile.gif

Tyler
  • Tyler

bubblingbubblingbubbling

• NATO

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:55 PM

The first and last book really caught my attention nerner, I'll check them out.

Morkie how far are you on A Scanner Darkly?

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE (Unoriginal44 @ Aug 11 2010, 18:55)
The first and last book really caught my attention nerner, I'll check them out.

Morkie how far are you on A Scanner Darkly?

"Fred" has just watched the junkie bird (began with a C)'s face morph into Donna's, and watched Barris fill caps with mushrooms. about half way i think.

I've gotten into it more since i started and am kind of enjoying it - it's different, i'll give Dicks that.

I might have missed it, but when is it set? I get the feel that it's in like the 90s, but it feels like it's set in the 2090s too.... I also plan to get the DVD out next week too smile.gif

My thoughts so far - Its certainly well written, and there's an addictive strangeness to it - it's so weird you can't put it down.
I'm a little confused by the [SPOILER] face-morphing thing as mentioned, i'm not sure if it's all in Arctor's mind or if the tapes are edited or if the junkie, miss C, was wearing a scramble suit or something. I'm getting a feeling that there's more to his "friends" then what i've read - and look forward to finding out what, if anything...
I'm glad i picked it up, despite my initial "wth?" reaction - i tend to not abandon books once i start them and i'd just finished a great book by Gary Svee (Eagle's nest or something like that) which i'm tempted to add to the list. anyway the transition from western to dark-drug sci fi was a little discombobulating, but as said, i'm enjoying this book so far...

Incidently, i'm trying to figure out the title. A scanner darkly. [SPOILER] Scanner - referring to the holo scanners in Arctor's house? but Darkly, that's an adverb and scanner is a noun i believe. Perhaps you can clear it up for me? I can't work it out (or is that the idea - drug culture, insanity, randomness...)

Tyler
  • Tyler

bubblingbubblingbubbling

• NATO

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:33 PM

Well the 'Scanners' will definitely be explained further on, as well as the darkness surrounding the book. Indeed, I believe the abstractness is what I love, the fact that the surreal almost horror-like setting (Which by the way, is set 'Three Years From Now' and the actual book written in 1977) called to me when I saw it so long ago.

The main point of most of Dick's work, would be this, an almost identical average life to someone you know, and how over the course of time, you figure out that nothing was what you really thought. It will leave you with that 'ahhhh' face a lot.

Arctor's life seems, albeit a drug-abuser turned cop, mostly able to relate. But you find out, Arctor was not even totally what he seemed.

I don't want to give away much more than that. Oh, buy the DVD, but finish the book first. The DVD does a wonderful job of showing a visualisation of the changes I was talking about, in a much more ominous way.

Chimpso
  • Chimpso

Be a king.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:22 AM Edited by Chimpso, 12 August 2010 - 08:36 AM.

Ken Catran writes some amazing war-time novels. His novels are more for "Young Adults" but can be enjoyed by, in my opinion, anyone who is 13+ years of age.

Even novels that are not about war such as a novel that I read (and came out) recently called Smiling Jack. Epic book.
user posted image

Also, Catrans "Moran" series about a family of fighters each in a different war is a series that I have enjoyed for a long time:

Jacko Moran: Sniper user posted image- About the familys first fighter, set in the trenches of WW1. This is not one of them booooorrrriiinnnggg childrens books talking about life in the trenches. It has a great story and lots of action and twists.
Robert Moran: Private user posted image- Set during World War 2 in North Africa, Italy and many other places, this is my favourite Ken Catran book and is about Robert Moran, that familys second fighter.
Jimmy Moran: Regular user posted image- Set in the Vietnam War and about the family's third fighter, this bork is shorter then the others, but still a great read.
Teresa Moran: Soldier user posted image- About the familys fourth fighter, this time a woman. It is set in Iraq (or Afganistan, I can't remember) and is in pretty much modern day times.

If you have read and liked the above books you may also like to try this:

Red Leader Down user posted image - This book has a similar writing style to the Moran series and it focusesd on Gunthie "Gus" Tucker and his joining of a Tempest fighter-bomber aircraft unit during the dying months of World War 2.

If you enjoy wartime novels then these books are for you! Smiling Jack is a must read for anyone.

nerner
  • nerner

OG

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Aug 11 2010, 17:17)
QUOTE (nerner @ Aug 11 2010, 15:37)

Can't really describe this book adequately in a short space,

Then, please tell us why you're recommending it. What is so brilliant about this book?

The brilliant thing is that it can't be descirbed adequately in a short space. Read it and you will see what I mean. tounge.gif

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (Unoriginal44 @ Aug 11 2010, 20:33)
<snip>

ALL done smile.gif

was a good read ultimately, but i felt slightly abandoned at the end:

[SPOILER]Arctor is in "rehab" which, i believe, is ultimately the people who MAKE substance D. the twist with donna - i suspected that. i dont know why though...
Something Mike i think his name was and donna were talking about - deliberately putting bob in new path..... i dont get that. Why? He's mind is gone, as Dicks reminds us. before he got there and after the did. It seemed to be taking a turn to lead to something, raising a question and then just stopping. Perhaps i missed something, but it seemed slightly anti-climatical to me.
A good read though, and i'm glad i picked it up on your recomendation - i hope more do the same with these books.
I shall rent the film out then move on to the next book smile.gif

Tyler
  • Tyler

bubblingbubblingbubbling

• NATO

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:34 PM

It is believed that his very blank mind picked up on the quote 'Pick a flower for her' and 'make it blue' in his mind form the police doctors. In the end he only remembered this, and as such, picked a flower for his friends 'this thanksgiving' which is when he will see them again. The story did this because the plot is basically done. Nothing more is needed, because you can pick up everything that will happen.

At least, that is what I received from the book's ending anyway.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:09 AM Edited by Mokrie Dela, 20 August 2010 - 04:44 PM.

Hmm. I did get the slight feel that, when he picker the flower up (which is sub D is it not? It was his habit being reborn or maybe a step toward him regaining his mind (despite the statement that he wont ever get his mind back, i'd like to believe he would...

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:50 PM Edited by Mokrie Dela, 25 September 2010 - 03:44 PM.

Having just seen the film i think i get it now.

picks up a flower - perhaps as said, remembering the doctor - which he will give to (eddie, or mike was it? The UC cop?). This will be the proof that is needed to shut down the operation.
As said in the story "one spark of recognition" which he shows picking the flower. Not only is it the first step in taking down the production operation, but in also regaining his mind, also (imo) hinted at the film

i may be wrong, but that's my interpretation anway.

EDIT: Ooops double post. Dammit! I need to stop clicking reply instead of edit sad.gif

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:13 PM

hey people. For some reason, this topic has disapeared from my subscriptions list, thus i will not recieve any notifications if someone posts.... so apologies if any posts arent responded to quickly....

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Dr. Green Thumb.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:50 PM

Street boys - Tim Pritchard

About a group of 7 young black men growing up on an estate called Angell town in Brixton, South London. The book is very well written and shows just how pointless and hopeless the lives of these young men who were born without a chance.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (brownbear @ Oct 4 2010, 21:50)
Street boys - Tim Pritchard

About a group of 7 young black men growing up on an estate called Angell town in Brixton, South London. The book is very well written and shows just how pointless and hopeless the lives of these young men who were born without a chance.

You seem to have fixed my aforementioned notification problem!

Your suggestion has been added smile.gif

Vercetti21
  • Vercetti21

V21

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:42 PM

Really getting into John Grisham lately. I haven't read very much of his stuff but I'd recommend "The Associate". Guy gets blackmailed to steal from a major law firm basically.

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Dr. Green Thumb.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:38 PM

The Beach - A young backpacker who is obssessed with the Vietnam war goes backpacking in Thailand. However he is bored of the mundane tourist life ... until an insane Scottish man reveals to him a map to a secret island paradise. He, along with a French couple head to the island and enjoy life in paradise ... but as the story unfurls and builds up to the gut wrenching finale, they realise not everything is as it seems.

The 25th hour - Monty Brogan is a low level drug dealer working for a mysterious crime lord. It is his last day in New York before being sent to prison over a drug possession charge and his friends are throwing a going away party. But as the day unfurls that he has wastedd his life.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (brownbear @ Oct 8 2010, 17:38)
The Beach - A young backpacker who is obssessed with the Vietnam war goes backpacking in Thailand. However he is bored of the mundane tourist life ... until an insane Scottish man reveals to him a map to a secret island paradise. He, along with a French couple head to the island and enjoy life in paradise ... but as the story unfurls and builds up to the gut wrenching finale, they realise not everything is as it seems.

The 25th hour - Monty Brogan is a low level drug dealer working for a mysterious crime lord. It is his last day in New York before being sent to prison over a drug possession charge and his friends are throwing a going away party. But as the day unfurls that he has wastedd his life.

But who writes them!? tounge.gif

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Dr. Green Thumb.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Oct 8 2010, 19:00)
QUOTE (brownbear @ Oct 8 2010, 17:38)

But who writes them!? tounge.gif

Oops forgot

The beach - Alex Garland

The 25th hour - David Benioff

Untame Snail
  • Untame Snail

What?

• Members
  • Rwanda

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:17 PM

I rarely ever find a book I love, but I recently did.

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut.

It's an adventurous, humorous satire about humankind's lust for power and the ultimate destruction it brings. It starts out slow, but as soon as you get to the 50th page or so, it's very hard to put down. 11 out of 10 stars.

QwertyAAA
  • QwertyAAA

Ceci n'est pas une pipe, c'est le logo de Rockstar

• Members

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (Untame Snail @ Oct 10 2010, 17:17)

It's an adventurous, humorous satire about humankind's lust for power and the ultimate destruction it brings. It starts out slow, but as soon as you get to the 50th page or so, it's very hard to put down. 11 out of 10 stars.

In fact, everything by Vonnegut. Slaughterhouse-Five, Jailbird, Galapagos, Sirens of Titan, Breakfast of Champions... He was one of the greatest writers of the century.

mark-2007
  • mark-2007

Big Homie

• The Connection

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (QwertyAAA @ Oct 10 2010, 23:38)
QUOTE (Untame Snail @ Oct 10 2010, 17:17)

In fact, everything by Vonnegut. Slaughterhouse-Five, Jailbird, Galapagos, Sirens of Titan, Breakfast of Champions... He was one of the greatest writers of the century.

This.

Still need to read Jailbird. but got through the others mentioned along with a few more. Armageddon in Retrospect by him is a good read of a few short stories too. Got his Slapstick to read after I finish White Noise by Don Delillo, which has been a pretty good read if any wants to check it out. Hard to describe though, might get around to reading Underworld by him but it's a bit thick, maybe when I have more time. Got a bunch of other books I still need to check out too.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:09 PM

brownbear and Untame Snail; your suggestions have been added. Thanks!
Keep up the discussion! smile.gif

Pearlie
  • Pearlie

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:58 AM

Add to the list:

-Scarecrow
Matthew Riley

And all of his books with Scarecrow

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users