Photo

Mapmaking

1,861 replies to this topic
greasy_rainbow
  • greasy_rainbow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

@libertyking ok sounds good. I cant wait to see what you are working on after your gained knowledge while making your liberty city map :D

Carmain2K
  • Carmain2K

Journalist in Training

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:31 PM Edited by Carmain2K, 18 January 2014 - 03:35 PM.

San Andreas Map - Update 3

I have decided to sort out my map update schedule. Once a week, I will update the map and post it (any more and I will overwork myself). Here is the map:

Fpmb6Tql.png

Link to the big map is here:http://i.imgur.com/Fpmb6Tq.png

Changelog:

• Halved the size of the map (now 3500x4000 pixels)
  • Added Cassidy Creek above Fort Zancudo
  • Worked a lot on the Vinewood Hills
  • Expanded the Marlow Vineyards
  • Connected Dillimore, Blueberry, Montgomery and Palomino Creek together.
  • Made a airfield near Montgomery.

Hope you like the map everyone. This is turning into a very big project, and I've only just started. Thank you Libertyking for suggesting I made the map smaller, seeing as this thread takes ages to load anyway, that should help a bit. As will the fact that the preview map is a large thumbnail. In the next update I will have finished up the Banham Canyon area and most of the Zancudo Valley (between the river and the Tataviam Mountians. And greasy_rainbow, I will add San Fierro and Las Venturas when I get to them. Feedback is appreciated, and don't be afriad to be blunt.

Thanks for reading. 

• LibertyKing likes this

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

Je ne sais point, je ne sais gučre

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:08 AM Edited by LibertyKing, 19 January 2014 - 01:55 AM.

I started a new San Andreas map. It will actually be three maps, as Paint.NET can't handle such a large map. Those three maps will be:

• The San Fierro Bay Area, Sacramento etc.;
  • Los Santos and everything east of it;
  • San Pablo (San Diego), the Alamo Sea Area etc.

Here is a preview of the San Fierro map:

HUU7MEu.png

I just started and this preview was made to show the new color scheme I'll be using for this map.

Right now, I'm working on the Liberty City map because I want to finish Algonquin 100%. I'm redrawing some roads and adding buildings. I will do an update later tonight/tomorrow (depends on where you live (And yes, I already did this joke...)) with also an updated Bohan.

Thanks a lot for reading! Please give feedback/like this post if you like my just started map!

@Carmain2K: Again, your maps are a lot better than mines. Better quality at least. I like how you kept Los Santos and some towns and redrawn the map. Awesome!

Edit: I will only update tomorrow. The City Hall Area is too damn long to make. Sorry. :(

• jay1993 and Carmain2K like this

dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

San Andreas Map - Update 3

I have decided to sort out my map update schedule. Once a week, I will update the map and post it (any more and I will overwork myself). Here is the map:

Fpmb6Tql.png

Link to the big map is here:http://i.imgur.com/Fpmb6Tq.png

Changelog:

• Halved the size of the map (now 3500x4000 pixels)
  • Added Cassidy Creek above Fort Zancudo
  • Worked a lot on the Vinewood Hills
  • Expanded the Marlow Vineyards
  • Connected Dillimore, Blueberry, Montgomery and Palomino Creek together.
  • Made a airfield near Montgomery.

Hope you like the map everyone. This is turning into a very big project, and I've only just started. Thank you Libertyking for suggesting I made the map smaller, seeing as this thread takes ages to load anyway, that should help a bit. As will the fact that the preview map is a large thumbnail. In the next update I will have finished up the Banham Canyon area and most of the Zancudo Valley (between the river and the Tataviam Mountians. And greasy_rainbow, I will add San Fierro and Las Venturas when I get to them. Feedback is appreciated, and don't be afriad to be blunt.

Thanks for reading. 

Nice map! Looks really good! :) But about palomino creek, East of Los Santos in GTA 5 there is the hill called palomino highland and i think palomino creek would suit that area better?? But i guess it your map and you can do what ever you want! It looks great and i really cant wait for the final. :) 

Carmain2K
  • Carmain2K

Journalist in Training

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

dyz - That sounds like a good idea! I never thought of that.

I have decided that the map will be made in three chunks, San Fierro and the Bay, Las Venturas and Robada and Los Santos and Red County. Hopefully this will be enough maps so Paint.net does not crash again.

Libertyking - Looking cool. Can't wait for your next update!
  • dyz likes this

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:43 AM Edited by LibertyKing, 23 January 2014 - 10:14 PM.

San Andreas Map Concept, Update 1:

jxK0ntF.png

(No version without names, this is a concept.)

After a long wait, here is the new remake (Yes, I already remade the San Andreas map before. So this is a remake of a remake.) of my San Andreas map. I will update it later (Yes, I will update a concept.) but for now, this is alright as it shows the basis of the map. So new content will include:

• Larger map with more cities, counties and mountains,
  • The San Fernando valley,
  • More small towns,
  • Lines on mountains to simulate relief,
  • Islands on Los Santos shore (Catalina etc.),
  • Alcatraz Island,
  • A different color scheme for roads (Highways and state routes will be yellow) and route/Interstate signs,
  • Sacramento and northern California,
  • Three separated maps to reduce lag.

If you have any suggestion for names (And please, no Berkland and Oakley... :sarcasm:), you can post them in this topic.

Keep in mind this is a low detailed version of the map and the real map will have streets and buildings.

Edit: Just realized some names were lowered on the map. So Angel Pine, Paleto Bay, Sandy Shores, Grapeseed and Palm Springs should be more north.

Thanks a lot for reading! I hope you like my new concept! If you do, please like this post or post feedback so that I know you like it.

SA Update 2:

bNlXfJS.png

Ok, I know update 1 was rushed. So here is update 2.

Changelog:

• Added Alamo Sea,
  • Added more roads,
  • Added a lot more mountains, did relief on some, (Please tell me if relief is not the good term for this),
  • Added borders,
  • Added other details.

Thanks for reading!

• NYC PATROL, dyz, jay1993 and 4 others like this

Carmain2K
  • Carmain2K

Journalist in Training

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:02 PM Edited by Carmain2K, 23 January 2014 - 10:37 PM.

Libertyking - Damn. You go quiet for ages and then turn out that. Its brilliant!

San Andreas Map - Update 3.5

As you can see, this is not a full update. I have been working on the shape of the whole coast, and that includes SF. It still is not completely sorted, but you can kind of see where I am going with it. it may still be bigger, I have not decided. Here is your preview:

EFv49WF.png

No big map. Sorry.

From this map will come the SF Map (Which will come after I have finished the LS map.) It will be about the same size as the LS map (4500/5000 by 4000 Pixels) and will include Bayside (Not sure where this is based on) and Angel Pine as well as remakes of Montery, Oakland, Berkley and Santa Cruz. Feedback is appreciated. Thanks for reading.

EDIT: Should I put county lines in? I have been thinking about it.

• NYC PATROL and dyz like this

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:13 PM

Wow, your map looks very good now! And thanks for the like and the feedback!

And Bayside is based on a small area right beside the Golden Gate Bridge, BTW.

dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:31 AM Edited by dyz, 24 January 2014 - 04:31 AM.

Libertyking - Damn. You go quiet for ages and then turn out that. Its brilliant!

San Andreas Map - Update 3.5

As you can see, this is not a full update. I have been working on the shape of the whole coast, and that includes SF. It still is not completely sorted, but you can kind of see where I am going with it. it may still be bigger, I have not decided. Here is your preview:

EFv49WF.png

No big map. Sorry.

From this map will come the SF Map (Which will come after I have finished the LS map.) It will be about the same size as the LS map (4500/5000 by 4000 Pixels) and will include Bayside (Not sure where this is based on) and Angel Pine as well as remakes of Montery, Oakland, Berkley and Santa Cruz. Feedback is appreciated. Thanks for reading.

EDIT: Should I put county lines in? I have been thinking about it.

Looks great! :)

Carmain2K
  • Carmain2K

Journalist in Training

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:55 PM

San Andreas Map - Update 4

My next update is here. Thanks for the feedback everyone (Ok... dyz and Libertyking...). I have been working today to make sure i have done enough to warrant an update, so here it is. The Map is below:

ZViEz3s.png

Link is here:http://i.imgur.com/ZViEz3s.png

Changelog (From Update 3, not 3.5):

• Cleaned up and extended the coast.
  • Paths added on the San Chanski Mountian Range
  • The mountains are now of a more finalised design
  • Added the Palomino Highlands
  • Moved Palomino Creek
  • Added roads across the Tataviam Mountians
  • COUNTY LINES ARE IN PLACE.

Yep, this week I have been working hard on the map, with two updates. If you want to see San Fierro, you'll have to wait until Los Santos is done. I have a question. Should I add San Diego, and if I do, What should it be called? I don't care, so this is all down to you, but remember I do have the space to do it, so please say if you want to or not. Feedback is, as always, appreciated, and don't be afraid to be blunt. Thanks for reading.  

• dyz, theGTAking101 and SonofYankton like this

dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:55 AM

Any new updates?? 

Carmain2K
  • Carmain2K

Journalist in Training

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

My next update will be on Sunday. As for Libertyking, I have no idea...

• dyz likes this

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:15 PM Edited by LibertyKing, 01 February 2014 - 10:10 PM.

Mine will be Friday.

• dyz likes this

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:11 PM Edited by LibertyKing, 01 February 2014 - 11:04 PM.

OK, I know I said that multiple times, but I'm sorry that I didn't update Friday like I said, Paint.net has been really *Insert offensive adverb here* slow lately. And because I'm tired of being silent, here is a preview of the draft of a small area of my new map:

N22bfJG.png

So this is a preview of the southern part of Bayside (The part that was in GTA SA). Not much, but something anyway.

(Sorry for double posting, but how could people know I edited a post?)

• dyz, theGTAking101, Carmain2K and 1 other like this

dansgas1000
  • dansgas1000

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

Hi, I used to make maps a while ago, I still look at this topic now and again, thank god it's still active, it's my favourite topic in the forum, anyway I might make another map soon or update my current one. Ill probably always use Photoshop now lol. I went from Paint then Paint.NET now i'm using Photoshop and I am improving. Not as good as yours though LibertyKing, yours is awesome I can't wait for more updates, good luck to everyone else making maps too :) 

• theGTAking101 likes this

phoenixShine
  • phoenixShine

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

My current progress on map based on Cook County, Illinois:

lhoRU2x.jpg

• theGTAking101 likes this

Carmain2K
  • Carmain2K

Journalist in Training

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

PhoenixShine - I like the look of that. Good job.

Dansgas - Don't use Photoshop, trust me. You can't make curved roads on it. Use Paint.net instead.

As for my map, There MAY be an update today, not sure. I may just stop because LibertyKings is so good... only joking :D.

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:10 PM

What's so good about this small piece of map? I did that in 10 minutes.

phoenixShine
  • phoenixShine

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

Small update.

0ENJoV7.jpg

greasy_rainbow
  • greasy_rainbow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:35 PM Edited by greasy_rainbow, 05 February 2014 - 09:39 PM.

Sorry for the inactivity. My computer has been having some issues but i have fixed it temporarily. I am trying as hard as i can to finish Los Santos and when I will come out with a BIG update. Hopefully within the next couple of days. :)

@Libertyking wow your map is amazing, sooo detailed. btw what is the resolution for your map?

@Carmain2k I really like what you are doing and i cant wait to see it when you start doing the San Feirro region

@Dangas1000 Glad your back good to see this forum coming back to life

@PheonixShine your map looks pretty good so far, also i recommend not to use GIMP. I used to when i first started making maps and paint.net is so much easier to use and looks a lot cleaner.

• Carmain2K likes this

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:54 PM Edited by LibertyKing, 06 February 2014 - 02:55 PM.

Liberty City: Update 10

yiQTnYz.png

Click here for the version without names/icons.

I felt like updating Liberty City today, so here it is.

Changelog:

• Started Broker,
  • Changed the City Hall area,
  • Added new ferries and ferry lines.

I tried to recreate DUMBO as close as I could. I separated East Hook and the Broker Navy Yard. Charleston is based on Williamsburg.

Feedback is very appreciated.

• dyz and I<3GTAV like this

phoenixShine
  • phoenixShine

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

Next update:

Fu4Ns7g.jpg

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:03 PM

how hard is it to make a map, I'm thinking about doing one.

greasy_rainbow
  • greasy_rainbow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:40 PM

@catdog96 At first it may be difficult, but once you get used to it its pretty easy. My advice when making one is to make sure that your roads aren't too blocky. Try looking at main cities in google earth to get an idea on how roads should be. Happy mapmaking! :D

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:53 AM

Liberty City: Update 11

fPaODoA.png

Version without names here.

Changelog:

• Finished Boabo,
  • Finished Broker Navy Yards (Well, the roads),
  • Updated everything else.

I tried to put a bit more of me in this map because for now, it looks more like a small New York City than Liberty City. It's kinda stupid not to call it New York, so I tried to change the city a little bit... without much success. Anyway, here is my eleventh update!

Thanks for reading!

P.S: If you have any suggestion, (Like names) please say it.

• luizpaulo and Carmain2K like this

Carmain2K
  • Carmain2K

Journalist in Training

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:34 PM Edited by Carmain2K, 10 February 2014 - 07:34 PM.

Looking good LibertyKing, I like it a lot.

Can't wait for your next update Greasy_rainbow. Glad you are back making your map again.

San Andreas Map: Update 5

Well I am back finally making my map, I have been a little demotivated recently, as well as having a load of homework, so I have not done loads on the map. I have pretty much thrown the 'weekly map update' concept out of the window (I don't work well to deadlines!). So here is the 'much anticipated' update to my map.

dq47zTZ.jpg

Changelog:

• FINISHED THE COAST!!! (The most tedious task for the whole map!)
  • Finished Los Santos.
  • Moar roads that now stretch to the edges of the map.
  • Two new towns (One based on Palm Springs and one, well, it is in the same place as San Diego, but is a lot smaller...)
  • Windfarm area south of 'Palm Springs'
  • Space for Angel Pine at the very top of the map​.
  • Mexico Border in the south (idea from LibertyKing).

So, that is the update. Mostly a lot of small tasks that needed to be done. And now they are done... I am not sure what to do. What do you guys think? What should I put in and where? I want some feedback, because it would be nice to have something more than roads in the areas, so ideas would be great!

Thanks for reading.

• dyz and LibertyKing like this

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

May I ask how you do those beautiful coastlines?

I like how you kept the style of the original map but remade everything your way. And I suggest you to use Paint.NET's premade dotted line for county limits so that it looks cleaner.

SonofYankton
  • SonofYankton

Hugging Niko Belic

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:48 PM Edited by mnmn1234, 10 February 2014 - 08:55 PM.

OK Carmain2K A few ideas, Maybe a village or 2 In Flint county,    A Small City on the Border Of LS County And Blaine County Kind Of a Suburb.   A Prison Island In SF Bay and yes you should add san diego

Call it San Peion

And maybe a few  lakes in Flint County.    And  a question  Will There every be Las Venturas?

Carmain2K
  • Carmain2K

Journalist in Training

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:08 PM Edited by Carmain2K, 10 February 2014 - 09:10 PM.

@LibertyKing: A lot of time and effort. It is probably the most time consuming part of the map. The county lines are to change, so thanks for telling me this.

@mnmn1234:

• Village or two in Flint County - Angel Pine is one, any more ideas on the location of the second (Angel Pine will be in the middle of mountain range, but north of it, if you know what I mean.
  • A small city/suburb outside LS - Sounds cool. Redesign of the Palomino Highlands, I think (Palomino Creek - Thats going north, It looks c**p where it is at the moment (In my opinion, of course))
  • Prison Island - Alcatraz is on the charts, let me tell you that much!
  • San Diego - OK. Small town in the south to become San Peoni (swapped a couple letters around, thought it would sound better, pronounced San Pee-own-ee)
  • Lakes in Flint County - Good Idea. I did not think of that.

Thanks for the all the feedback guys, no doubt it will come in handy very soon!

SonofYankton
  • SonofYankton

Hugging Niko Belic

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:29 PM Edited by mnmn1234, 11 February 2014 - 03:00 AM.

More Ideas!  A railway line going up to san ferrio Etc

and for the 2end village in flint county, how about near the middle?

Also, is there any chance that, when your done with your map that i could make a concept game around it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users