Mapmaking

1,299 replies to this topic
Carmain2K
  • Carmain2K

But first, let me take a selfie!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

I have been taking a break from my LV map recently. I probably have worked on it to much lately. Although I have added a little bit around Tierra Robada, it is not enough to warrant a update. I also am going to London for Christmas tomorrow, so I probably wont be able to do anything until new year. Today, however, I have decided to start on a map that I will continue making in the future. Carcer City.

My map is based off of Detroit, and I have decided to take the Libertyking approach to the map. I am recreating the streets in a simpler, GTA style format. I have only done the southwest part, but it is coming along nicely. Here it is:

H1uDYmI.png

Like I said, I am going to London tomorrow night, and therefore there will be no map updates until I get back (New Year). Hope you like the map so far. Feedback is appreciated. See you later.

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

3 years on GTA Forums!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:24 PM Edited by LibertyKing, 19 December 2013 - 11:09 PM.

Nice start! I see you're also making it look like real life Detroit. Similar to what I would've done, without copy pasted street grids.

Edit: For people who want to see progress on my map, Paint.NET started lagging a lot. I didn't work a lot on it because of school. Fortunately, Christmas break is coming tomorrow so I will work more on the map. I don't have an update right now because most of what I've done is planning.

I also decided the map won't be islands. So the state map will have the entire (scaled down) state of New York, including New York, Albany, Rochester, Buffalo and Long Island. Each metro area will have it's own map and the state will have less details than the cities map.

And for the San Andreas map, it may be long until I do an update for it.

And I know I may be giving myself too much work.

dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:05 AM

Nice start! I see you're also making it look like real life Detroit. Similar to what I would've done, without copy pasted street grids.

Edit: For people who want to see progress on my map, Paint.NET started lagging a lot. I didn't work a lot on it because of school. Fortunately, Christmas break is coming tomorrow so I will work more on the map. I don't have an update right now because most of what I've done is planning.

I also decided the map won't be islands. So the state map will have the entire (scaled down) state of New York, including New York, Albany, Rochester, Buffalo and Long Island. Each metro area will have it's own map and the state will have less details than the cities map.

And for the San Andreas map, it may be long until I do an update for it.

And I know I may be giving myself too much work.

Ohh ok ahah I cant wait till you finish the san andreas map, it looks awesome :)

Xerskiess
  • Xerskiess

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:58 AM Edited by Xerskiess, 26 December 2013 - 01:40 AM.

Current map stage:

PBjSQpp.png

Feedback?

Joonas08Joonas
  • Joonas08Joonas

PlayStation 3 player, also citizen of Ludendorff

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:00 PM Edited by Joonas08Joonas, 28 December 2013 - 03:36 PM.

i just found this topic, and it makes me want to make my own map. Amazing creations out there! :)

(I especially love LibertyKing's LC and Carmain's LV)

Current map stage:

PBjSQpp.png

Feedback?

Great progress so far, looks like it'll turn out to become something amazing. :) Though, IMHO the roads are too thick.

EDIT: A quick start on the State of Brightwell :) It's my first map ever.

Aqj33Vi.png

Carmain2K
  • Carmain2K

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

Looking cool Joonas, I am interested about where the urban areas are going to go. Very good for a first attempt. Keep it up.

I am still in London so I cant update my map untill at least the 31st. The Carcer City map was more of an experiment, but I might continue it at a later date. When I get back, I will focus on finishing the LV map so I can start something new. Good to see new maps being made.

Joonas08Joonas
  • Joonas08Joonas

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:33 PM Edited by Joonas08Joonas, 28 December 2013 - 09:13 PM.

Looking cool Joonas, I am interested about where the urban areas are going to go. Very good for a first attempt. Keep it up.

I am still in London so I cant update my map untill at least the 31st. The Carcer City map was more of an experiment, but I might continue it at a later date. When I get back, I will focus on finishing the LV map so I can start something new. Good to see new maps being made.

Thanks! I'm just about to make roads on my map. I have just one question..

The map will have railroads as well.

How shall I differ railroads from normal roads?

Thought of something already.

Anyway, here's the next version of my map! I added a few pieces of land, a lake with a river, and part of a road and an unfinished small town!

trGE3Zr.png

EDIT 2:

I updated my map again. This time, I finished up the town, added a railroad line, and made more road lines. :)

r5wbZPJ.png

EDIT 3: I updated... again. Taking a break for today, I'll continue tomorrow. :) I will probably add names when I am done with it.

Changelog:

Added a new city.

Extended rail line

Added a railyard.

RDAGrYI.png

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

3 years on GTA Forums!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:26 AM Edited by LibertyKing, 29 December 2013 - 02:27 AM.

Update 8:

yXMdwD1.jpg

Click here, as always, for the version without names or icons.

After nothing for a long time, I have an update.

The main and only reason why I stopped making this map is because I had seriously lost the fun in making. Now I got it back (Well I hope...) and (I hope) I will be updating regularly like I once was.

I added a lot of things: I started Bohan (2 weeks ago, but to be honest, I didn't want to update at that time.), I made the general shape of East Island (Long Island), I added the Liberty City Housing (New York City Housing) in East Holland, along with some other buildings around the map (I still have to do all the Eastern Town projects...), I did Varsity Park, I made the general shape of the LeGardio Airport (I seriously need to find another name) and its whereabouts, and some train tracks in Algonquin and Bohan. I corrected an error where I named Westdyke "Weehawken", it's real life counterpart's name, and another error where I named Columbia University "Jefferson University", but the university was named "Vespucci University". I started a subway map, but it's really too soon to show it. I also made some islands (Liberty Island, Ellis Island and Governors Island).

Thanks a lot for reading! Please post feedback!

• dyz, I<3GTAV, grumpy cat meme and 2 others like this

Joonas08Joonas
  • Joonas08Joonas

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

Update 8:

SNIP

Thanks a lot for reading! Please post feedback!

Looks awesome! Keep it up :D

Kwandilibro
  • Kwandilibro

Be eye itch.

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:11 AM

I haven't had the time to sit down and make maps in such a long time, really a shame too.

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:45 AM Edited by I<3GTAV, 02 January 2014 - 11:19 PM.

mc_zps24250fca.png

This is what I have done so far. It's my first map, so I'm really just making it for practice. It will be based off of my hometown, Cleveland, Ohio. I'm calling it Moses City, as a reference to Cleveland's founder, Moses Cleveland. Moses City will surround the mouth of the large river that flows through the middle of the map, which is based off of the Cuyahoga. There will be around 4-5 medium sized cities scattered around the map in relation to their real life location. I'll go more into detail as the map evolves.

@LibertyKing

That map is turning out really great, the best I've seen in this thread so far. Great work, I look forward to how it turns out!

Update 2:

mc_zpsec28f71c.png

Moses City and the surrounding region has progressed steadily. I added beaches, though there won't be many, considering it's the same way in real-life Ohio. It's mostly just dirt and rocks along the shore. Industrial areas will be shown in grey, urbanized areas will be shown in white, and forests and parks will be shown in green. I began developing the towns which are based off of Ashtabula, Ohio and Geneva-on-the-Lake, Ohio. Ashtabula will be one of the medium sized cities I discussed in my previous update. I haven't thought of a name for what is Ashtabula yet, so I'll just call it Ashtabula for now. Geneva-on-the-Lake's parody will be called "Zurich". Ashtabula is located on both sides of the Ashtabula River, surrounding the harbor, while Zurich is the small town shortly to the west. They were put pretty closely together to make room for other Northeast Ohio towns and landmarks between them and what will become Moses City. I have a few more blocks to add to Ashtabula, and then I will begin working on rural areas surrounding the town. Are there any tips I can use for future development and to help my skills in map-making? Thanks.

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

3 years on GTA Forums!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

@Joonas08Joonas and I<3GTAV: Thanks! I'm currently still working on Bohan. There is a slight chance that I do an update tonight, but there are more chances it'll be tomorrow, because I need to do that "homework during Christmas break" bullsh*t tonight.

And @I<3GTAV: Nice start! Looking forward to see this finished.

bengalboy_0701
  • bengalboy_0701

Under Control

• Members
  • Bangladesh

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:51 PM

I've been working on my concept map lately, but my laptop crashed and i don't have anywhere else where i can work on the map again. Can anyone so kindly help me do it?

greasy_rainbow
  • greasy_rainbow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:24 PM Edited by greasy_rainbow, 21 February 2014 - 08:54 PM.

GS San Andreas Map Update 1.4

So I took a loooong break but i really wanted to continue my map so i just started from an old backup, and I did a lot of work recently and im here to share

The full image link is here http://imgur.com/rBMrGgn

aqXhqak.png

The whole map so far, i have changed the shape of the land a lot but im not sure if you can tell. I have finshed the inner city of Los Santos and am starting on the hills and countryside of Red County. 

*note when im completely done with each city/region im going to fill in the buildings and will have accurate building locations shape and size prior to they're real life counterpart. :colgate:

MoFMnlM.png

Next is a close up of Los Santos, i didnt put the location names because in my last post it all of them.

W2rYMBq.png

A close up of Ganton. I tryed to be fairly accurate to the Ganton from SA

Last is the Vinewood Hills, even though i havent finished them i thought i might as well post it

kkt9yKJ.png

• LibertyKing, theGTAking101 and LowiPL like this

Izaque de Santa
  • Izaque de Santa

Grand Theft Auto Forever

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

BIG UPDATE TO SAN ANDREAS MAP

So I took a loooong break but i really wanted to continue my map so i just started from an old backup, and I did a lot of work recently and im here to share.

aqXhqak.png

The whole map so far, i have changed the shape of the land a lot but im not sure if you can tell. I have finshed the inner city of Los Santos and am starting on the hills and countryside of Red County. 

*note when im completely done with each city/region im going to fill in the buildings and will have accurate building locations shape and size prior to they're real life counterpart. :colgate:

MoFMnlM.png

Next is a close up of Los Santos, i didnt put the location names because in my last post it all of them.

W2rYMBq.png

Last is the Vinewood Hills, even though i havent finished them i thought i might as well post it

kkt9yKJ.png

And link for full image??

• ObsydianRaven likes this

greasy_rainbow
  • greasy_rainbow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:48 AM

BIG UPDATE TO SAN ANDREAS MAP

So I took a loooong break but i really wanted to continue my map so i just started from an old backup, and I did a lot of work recently and im here to share.

aqXhqak.png

MoFMnlM.png

W2rYMBq.png

kkt9yKJ.png

And link for full image??

sorry i forgot but i updated the post with a link

Carmain2K
  • Carmain2K

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:05 AM

Las Venturas Map - The Finished Product

Over the last couple days I have been finishing up my LV map. I would now say it is done, but you can be the judge of that! The changelog is as follows:

• The new towns of Blakely, Cayman, Millton Cove and Jockaney have been added.
  • Lake Cayman has been made.
  • Added the McStevenson Farm.
  • Named places that were not named before (Robada Canyon, Diablo Valley, Mason Cliffs etc.)
  • LOTS of roads have been added to Tierra Robada.

And here is the finished map:

Laq3qeU.png

As always, here is the link to the unnamed map: http://i.imgur.com/5VuIhmb.png

Hope you like the map, it has taken me quite a long time to make. Feedback is appreciated and don't be afraid to be blunt. If you want to, feel free to make changes to the map or incorporate it into your own map. Its always nice to see what other people can do.

@Joonas - Looking good. Very original. I like.

@Libertyking - What you can't do, no one can. Can't wait for the next update.

@I<3GTAV - I like the shape of the map so far. Keep it up.

@greasy_rainbow - I like the map. Just try and make your future cites less blocky.

Good to see lots of maps coming along.

So, you may be wondering what my next map will be. So let me tell you. I am going to create a full San Andreas, with SF, LV and LS. It will have bits from GTA SA and GTA V in it, as well a snew bits and parts from my LV map. Here is it so far (It isn't much)

SUIOHuT.jpg

As you can see, I have taken GTAV's LS and separated it from the rest of the map. Then I took Chumash and Paleto bay and rotated them/moved them so it looks more like California. Fort Zancudo and the Zancudo river will be above. See the little town at the very top. That is Palomino Creek, currently looking almost as it did in GTA SA. I will change it a bit later on. Hope you like the start, it will take a long time to complete. And bear in mind, its only just started and its already 10MB in size (Currently the map is at 7000x5500 pixels, this number will be considerably higher). Give feedback, and also give me ideas. I want your suggestions about what should go were and what should be named what. Feel free to add suggestions. Thanks for reading.

• dyz, LibertyKing, Izaque de Santa and 1 other like this

Izaque de Santa
  • Izaque de Santa

Grand Theft Auto Forever

• Members

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:04 AM

Las Venturas Map - The Finished Product

Over the last couple days I have been finishing up my LV map. I would now say it is done, but you can be the judge of that! The changelog is as follows:

• The new towns of Blakely, Cayman, Millton Cove and Jockaney have been added.
  • Lake Cayman has been made.
  • Added the McStevenson Farm.
  • Named places that were not named before (Robada Canyon, Diablo Valley, Mason Cliffs etc.)
  • LOTS of roads have been added to Tierra Robada.

And here is the finished map:

Laq3qeU.png

As always, here is the link to the unnamed map: http://i.imgur.com/5VuIhmb.png

Hope you like the map, it has taken me quite a long time to make. Feedback is appreciated and don't be afraid to be blunt. If you want to, feel free to make changes to the map or incorporate it into your own map. Its always nice to see what other people can do.

@Joonas - Looking good. Very original. I like.

@Libertyking - What you can't do, no one can. Can't wait for the next update.

@I<3GTAV - I like the shape of the map so far. Keep it up.

@greasy_rainbow - I like the map. Just try and make your future cites less blocky.

Good to see lots of maps coming along.

So, you may be wondering what my next map will be. So let me tell you. I am going to create a full San Andreas, with SF, LV and LS. It will have bits from GTA SA and GTA V in it, as well a snew bits and parts from my LV map. Here is it so far (It isn't much)

SUIOHuT.jpg

As you can see, I have taken GTAV's LS and separated it from the rest of the map. Then I took Chumash and Paleto bay and rotated them/moved them so it looks more like California. Fort Zancudo and the Zancudo river will be above. See the little town at the very top. That is Palomino Creek, currently looking almost as it did in GTA SA. I will change it a bit later on. Hope you like the start, it will take a long time to complete. And bear in mind, its only just started and its already 10MB in size (Currently the map is at 7000x5500 pixels, this number will be considerably higher). Give feedback, and also give me ideas. I want your suggestions about what should go were and what should be named what. Feel free to add suggestions. Thanks for reading.

Dude, the Map of Las Venturas is amazing, imagine on a poster

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

3 years on GTA Forums!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

@greasy_rainbow: Nice progress so far! The only complaint I can make is that the street layout is a bit off, but it kinda make your map more original.

@Carmain2K: Wow. I never really finished a map, so I can't say if yours needs more work or not. I never could finish a map so fast.

For my map, I'm starting school tomorrow, but I wont work less on the map because I never work more than two hours on it. I know I said I was going to show an update earlier, but I had too much work to do the last few days. I don't know if I'll work on it today.

Carmain2K
  • Carmain2K

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:55 AM

GTA: New San Andreas - Update 2

I have been working on my new map this week and I felt like giving an update... so here it is:

bK82zO9.jpg

The link to the big map is here:http://i.imgur.com/bK82zO9.jpg

I have mostly been working on placing towns from GTA SA into the map.Palomino Creek has moved along a substantial amount as the Zancudo River has been lengthened. Above the river will be the San Chanski Mountain Range, and this will contain 4 mountians; Mt Chilliad, Mt Zancudo, Mt Joshia and Mt Gordo. The mountainous areas now have their own colour, a darker green. There are also now place names for each of the towns.

Annoyingly, Paint.net crashed so I only have a named version of the map. This will mean no unnamed versions of the map. Sorry. And as a little easter egg, here is the planning for the map (It was taken on my tablet's camera, so it is blurry.)

Akrtymy.jpg

All my maps start hand drawn, before being computerised. I just decided to show you. Feedback is appreciated. Thanks for reading.

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

3 years on GTA Forums!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:02 AM

@Carmain2K: This kind of map is the main reason why I don't update my San Andreas map. Your map has the same concept of merging GTA SA and V's towns. Even if it is very different, it's far too much better and too similar to mine.

And you shouldn't post the map in it's real size on the forums. It really makes the page slow, considering the number of other maps there is.

Awesome map BTW, keep it up! :)

Carmain2K
  • Carmain2K

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:55 AM Edited by Carmain2K, 12 January 2014 - 03:59 AM.

@Carmain2K: This kind of map is the main reason why I don't update my San Andreas map. Your map has the same concept of merging GTA SA and V's towns. Even if it is very different, it's far too much better and too similar to mine.

And you shouldn't post the map in it's real size on the forums. It really makes the page slow, considering the number of other maps there is.

Awesome map BTW, keep it up!

I am trying to make the map different from yours, but there is only a limited amount I can change! Also, do I see a compliment hidden in the feedback? Thanks.

P.S. So should I turn it into a large thumbnail (I am on Imgur)? Will that help the Lag?

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

3 years on GTA Forums!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:07 PM

You should post a smaller version of the map along with a link for the larger version.

And how can you do such a large map on Paint.NET? Can you zoom in? Because on my LC map I can only zoom in 568%.

And yes I did say your map was far better than mine. :)

Carmain2K
  • Carmain2K

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:35 PM Edited by Carmain2K, 12 January 2014 - 08:37 PM.

You should post a smaller version of the map along with a link for the larger version.

And how can you do such a large map on Paint.NET? Can you zoom in? Because on my LC map I can only zoom in 568%.

And yes I did say your map was far better than mine. :)

Ok, next time I will post a small version of the map as well (1/4 size or something). And I can zoom in to 546% on my map, so a little less than yours. However, the map does lag from time to time, and has crashed a couple times. Something tells me Paint.net is not designed for maps of this scale... ;)

Oh, and I nominated you for most respected and most helpful member, just saying.

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

3 years on GTA Forums!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

Wow thanks!

Carmain2K
  • Carmain2K

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:33 PM Edited by Carmain2K, 12 January 2014 - 09:36 PM.

Your welcome. Also, Mapmaking has been nominated for topic of the year...

Also, if you don't mind me asking, when are you going to update the Liberty City map?

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

3 years on GTA Forums!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:07 PM Edited by LibertyKing, 12 January 2014 - 11:14 PM.

I don't know. I have so much to do for school. I started another San Andreas map concept (My third...) by hand today. The next update should be next week but I'm not 100% sure. I didn't even work on the map since the eighth update.

I just realized I was the one who bumped this topic a couple of months ago.

Edit: Also you made a slight error on your map. Los Flores should be Las Flores because Flores is feminine in Spanish. ;)

Carmain2K
  • Carmain2K

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:29 AM

Well, in GTA SA it is spelt Los Flores... Hope you can update that new map. Can't wait.

greasy_rainbow
  • greasy_rainbow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:09 AM Edited by greasy_rainbow, 13 January 2014 - 02:11 AM.

Im really impressed by both of your maps, and that you continue to making new ones and updating previous ones. It seems like us 3 are the last ones on this thread for now haha. @carmain2k I like how you are expanding the gta v map I cant wait to see how it turns out.and will you include San Feirro in your map? @libertyking I am astonished by your Liberty City map its amazing. Also why are you making a 3rd san andreas map? It sounds cool but what happended to your other one? It was a really nice draft.

For my map I cant update just yet because I am working on the building map, but I will update that as soon as I finish or in pieces.

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

3 years on GTA Forums!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

I said a couple of times that my San Andreas map got under my skills after I've done my Liberty City map. I would need to rework everything and I prefer to restart from scratch instead.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users