Photo

Mapmaking

1,359 replies to this topic
John99
  • John99

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

I started the Vice City Map again and I think its going to be my best map until now
user posted image
I would love feedback and know what you guys think to make it better

GTAb0yWonder
  • GTAb0yWonder

I'm not GTAb0yWonder anymore, you dipsh*t cretins.

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:15 PM Edited by GTAb0yWonder, 12 May 2013 - 11:27 PM.

I'm currently working on a GTA game (most likely a spinoff similar to Bully) set in a small town in the areas between Chicago and Milwaukee. The town will be crime ridden with small town gangs.

user posted image
user posted image

drscot
  • drscot

Step Into My World

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (AiCYukon @ Thursday, Jun 3 2010, 02:51)
user posted image

My new map of San Andreas for GTA V, instead of it being an island, there could be large, intruding Mountains Behind LV, And North of SF, and Southeast of LS.
I also Included more of the Bay area than SA did. The Mountains are the Grey on the Outside of my map, The player could possibly get into certain areas on the mountains, but never go too far past them.

Note: I didnt include rivers, landmarks, roads, or other things.
Note: I made this in a hurry
Note: Oakland and San Jose: I didn't name them anything, and I also would like to Include Berkely, and the other Cities in that area.

Edit it if you want, idc.

Only now has it struck me that GTA V is probably going to end up looking something very close to this wink.gif

GTAb0yWonder - I love your setting! Its a very original concept, and the map is great too! thinking of adding some colour to it?

John99 - I like the overall colour scheme and shape, and I more than anyone appreciate artistic licence [as a musician and artist that started making maps on paint as a complete amateur] but Do some research of the area you are basing it on and try to keep it similar ;3 Don't get me wrong, its a very good and instantly recognizable rendition of Vice City! smile.gif

EDIT: Are you also thinking of adding roads and such? this can improve a map untold amounts smile.gif

The Pizza Delivery Guy - I have a certain, liking, if you will for hand drawn maps. I have seen both brilliant and terrible examples, and I have to say yours is pretty good smile.gif Try and avoid drawing in a grid is my only criticism. what i do is when i'm drawing roads I imagine I'm playing GTA, driving down them and feeling what they are like, immersing myself in the world i'm creating wink.gif

Master of San Andreas - I like it, and i love the names! But take into account what I said to John about keeping it at least recognizable. Your map is good, but if i wasn't told where it was based off i would struggle to guess simply as the overall shape doesn't line up with its real life counterpart. I'm sure if you do some digging you'll see my version of vice city that, in my opinion, is a good shape overall, but as i was told by other members, and can now see myself, if it wasn't for the vibrant colours they would struggle to guess what it was based off as it sported 3 islands as oppose to the real life 2. but yes, i like it smile.gif

The_Anti-tragedy - I love it, very San Andreas, which was my favourite map :3 mind if i ask where it was based off?

dansgas1000 - Again, I love it ;3 You have a very original style which shines through here :3 is it a fictional city, or is it for a concept based off a real life location? :3

If i've missed anyone its simply because i cant go back far enough on the 'reply' screen to see your maps. I apologize, and when i have time later on or in the week I shall go back and do a massive comment full of praise and constructive critisizm for the maps I've missed.

It's been such a long time since I began this thread, and I would like to add a new request to the original. Post maps, not only that you've created for a concept or purely for fun, but also have a go at making a map of the newest game to be announced by Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto V, true to the trailers and all the screenshots we have been provided with. Happy MapMaking people! biggrin.gif

dansgas1000
  • dansgas1000

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (drscot @ Sunday, May 19 2013, 14:48)

dansgas1000 - Again, I love it ;3 You have a very original style which shines through here :3 is it a fictional city, or is it for a concept based off a real life location? :3

Thanks, it's fictional :3

Sorry for the bump but I wanted to reply and this is a good old topic smile.gif

Kwandilibro
  • Kwandilibro

Be eye itch.

• Members

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

Damn I remember this topic. Haven't posted in it in a while, me being the weirdo that I am I enjoy maps for some reason.

Backfire6
  • Backfire6

༼ຈل͜ຈ༽

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:03 AM

Here is mine.
user posted image

And Full Size
CODE
http://postimg.org/image/roh1g7b0d/full/

I had fun making it.

PooyanCyrus
  • PooyanCyrus

iFruit fanboys are idiots

• Members
  • Mars
  • Best Concept Story 2013 "Grand Theft Auto: Ultimate"

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

Here's the map of San Fierro in 2013. I've made it for my Grand Theft Auto:San Fierro Concept

SFmaptopic.png

It consists of San Fierro, 2 bayside islands, Whetstone, Mount Grove and Mount Chiliad.

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:27 PM Edited by Libertyking, 12 October 2013 - 12:08 AM.

BUMP.

--------------------

I started a new San Andreas map today. It will consist of the entire state, including cities like Los Santos, San Fierro, San Juan (San José), San Pablo (San Diego) and other cities that I haven't found a name for.

Here is a preview of the entire map:

hxrqn4b.png

I started in Blaine County with Sandy Shores. Blaine County will include Sandy Shores, Grape Seed, Harmony and Palm Springs, for which I haven't found a name. Paleto Bay, Fort Zancudo, Mount Chiliad and Mount Josiah have been moved to Whetstone, which will include both them and Angel Pine. I also started the area around Fort Zancudo, which shows where Whetstone will be located. I will also make Red County with Dillimore, Palomino Creek and Blueberry.

Here is a preview of Blaine County:

3v7HC2F.png

Edit: Alamo Sea is too small, I know.

Please give feedback!

UPDATE:

Whetstone: (Angel Pine will be north of Paleto Bay.)

ZeTI4sJ.png

Blaine County:

pcVygOU.png

San Andreas:

mQ1pEkA.png

I've put every coastal town of GTA V on the coast so that it would be more logical, there is no coast north of Los Angeles. I've also put the Alamo Sea north of San Pablo reminiscent of it's real life location. Fort Zancudo will look better later. For now it's just a placeholder. Chumash will be located on the peninsula west of LS, south of Red County and will be part of LS County. Gold County is based on Orange County and I named it after California and San Andreas' nickname: The Golden State. Ganton and Idlewood will both be part of Los Santos because Strawberry is a stupid name for a gang neighborhood. It will be there anyway along with the others. The map is made with Paint.Net.

Still waiting for feedback!

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:39 PM

Damn I remember this topic. Haven't posted in it in a while, me being the weirdo that I am I enjoy maps for some reason.

Me too. I wish i had the time to still make them. My VC one was gonna be epic.

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:12 PM

Update to my SA Map:

Hello, here I am making another update to my map.

I will only show this part of the map as nothing changed anywhere else.

With names:

rGXRBEZ.jpg

Click here for the version without names.

I realized my map was smaller than I expected so I need to make the city areas bigger, of else there will be only Bohan sized city and that's not what I want. I nearly finished Whetstone and I'm going good in Red County. I still don't know where I'll put  Flint County. I also need to improve the scale on some towns, especially Montgomery, as it's really too big.

Please give feedback! Really do it as I want to know if it looks good.

ObsydianRaven
  • ObsydianRaven

Formerly Sethpenguin

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:15 PM

That map is awesome..

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:55 PM

Update on my SA Map:

Yes, another one. At least I'm not the type who shows one preview and then stop. My maps takes the whole page.

Instead of showing different images for different parts of the maps, I'll post a single JPEG of the area I changed.

htpQdWX.jpg

Click image for bigger size.

I finished Red County and started La Puerta, a parody of Ranchos Palos Verdes because La Puerta in V doesn't really parody any real area. San Padre is a parody of San Pedro. Algonquin Beach is a parody of Manhattan Beach. I mixed SA and V neighborhoods just like I did with towns and counties. I changed Del Perro for Santa Perra. This actually means Saint Bitch, but it looked more like Santa Monica than Del Perro, but I think Santa Maria is a bit too close to it.

@sethpenguin: Thanks, you're my only feedback for now.

Please post some feedback if you come to this topic.

• dyz and greasy_rainbow like this

ObsydianRaven
  • ObsydianRaven

Formerly Sethpenguin

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

Are you doing the United States as a whole?

ObsydianRaven
  • ObsydianRaven

Formerly Sethpenguin

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

A map of the Carcer City Metropoliton Area for my redo of my GTA: Carcer City concept thread.

SethsMap.png

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Ireland
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

I figured I'll have a go at concept GTA's. Trying to make a map and it shapes up nicely so far :)

1coj.png

greasy_rainbow
  • greasy_rainbow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:54 AM

Update on my SA Map:

Yes, another one. At least I'm not the type who shows one preview and then stop. My maps takes the whole page.

Instead of showing different images for different parts of the maps, I'll post a single JPEG of the area I changed.

htpQdWX.jpg

I finished Red County and started La Puerta, a parody of Ranchos Palos Verdes because La Puerta in V doesn't really parody any real area. San Padre is a parody of San Pedro. Algonquin Beach is a parody of Manhattan Beach. I mixed SA and V neighborhoods just like I did with towns and counties. I changed Del Perro for Santa Perra. This actually means Saint Bitch, but it looked more like Santa Monica than Del Perro, but I think Santa Maria is a bit too close to it.

Very nice im making a san andreas map. I like how you merged the 2 gta universes

3Hunt
  • 3Hunt

Evilest nigga this side of the Mississippi.

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:48 AM

I figured I'll have a go at concept GTA's. Trying to make a map and it shapes up nicely so far :)

1coj.png

Ahhhhhh shhhiiiieeeeettt! North Yankton, can't wait.

Blastoise1994
  • Blastoise1994

Not your scooter brother

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:30 AM Edited by Blastoise1994, 23 October 2013 - 08:32 AM.

wx2rrhm.png

Since I daydream a lot about making full conversion games and all that I figured I'd try my hand at map making. It's not great and it's probably not finished either but I figured I'd just put it up here to see what people thought of it. The map is based on my home state, Georgia. The big green blob is Atlanta, the blue blob is based more on rural areas like my hometown of Rockmart, yellow is basically the mountain region and the pink dots are based on both Savannah and the small islands off the coast of Georgia. Any thoughts or suggestions? Also I started making map icons of sorts but all I have thus far is "safehouse" and "savehouse w/garage".

EDIT: Just for reference (I feel kind of overwhelmed seeing all these big, intricate, detailed maps, lol.) this is meant as a III era Vice City sized map. Also I made it in paint using a laptop trackpad. :p

greasy_rainbow
  • greasy_rainbow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:13 PM

Update on my SA Map:

htpQdWX.jpg

what program do you use?

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:16 PM Edited by Libertyking, 23 October 2013 - 11:18 PM.

I don't log in for 3 days and wow...

@sethpenguin: No, not for now. I might do Nevada with Las Venturas, but I'm focusing on California right now. Maybe someday I'll do the entire country. Maybe...

@greasy_rainbow: 1st: Thanks. I really wanted to do this and it was my primary goal. 2nd: I made it with Paint.net.

I recently stopped making this map for a couple of days because I thought nobody cared but I do have a progress pic:

wcrwrnT.jpg

Again, I will mix Ganton and Davis as they are based on the same area. I will maybe remove Davis, because the name Ganton is closer to Compton than Davis.

The islands of the port will have a different layout later. They will also have names. And yes, the cul-de-sac in Ganton is Grove Street.

• dyz likes this

greasy_rainbow
  • greasy_rainbow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:06 AM Edited by greasy_rainbow, 21 February 2014 - 08:48 PM.

GS San Andreas Map Update 1.0

Im currently making a map of San Andreas. I have made many hand drawn maps but this is my 1st one on the pc. The cities will consist Los Santos, San Fierro, Las Venturas, and San Piarvo (San Deigo). And the countryside will consist of Red County, Flint County, Bone County, Blaine County, Ilan County (san diego countryside) and the alamo sea. 

Please give response if you like it. I will be posting updates once i complete different parts.  :colgate: 

8ZJqG3D.jpg

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

Your map might be just a little bit too similar to mine. Maybe if Zancudo was not exactly in the same location and if you didn't take the same concept as me (merging SA and V) it would be better. It will just be hard to have two different maps of the same area at the same time, that look like each other. It's clear you've got some inspiration from mine. But there are still a lot of differences: You're map is based more on GTA SA than real life California and you merged Nevada and California; your map is also really smaller and is geographically different.

Anyhow, you're map looks good for a first PC map. Mine looked like this. WARNING, OLD, UGLY AND PIXELATED MAP AHEAD!

gtavmapcitiescountieswa.png

greasy_rainbow
  • greasy_rainbow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

Your map might be just a little bit too similar to mine. Maybe if Zancudo was not exactly in the same location and if you didn't take the same concept as me (merging SA and V) it would be better. It will just be hard to have two different maps of the same area at the same time, that look like each other. It's clear you've got some inspiration from mine. But there are still a lot of differences: You're map is based more on GTA SA than real life California and you merged Nevada and California; your map is also really smaller and is geographically different.

Anyhow, you're map looks good for a first PC map. Mine looked like this. WARNING, OLD, UGLY AND PIXELATED MAP AHEAD!

gtavmapcitiescountieswa.png

thanks for the response. I did get some inspiration from you. I wanted it to be mostly San Andreas from the 2d universe but i figured i'd put it the alamo sea and blaine county connecting to the sherman dam reservoir (lake at the top connecting to the alamo sea, i haven't put the dam on the map yet so im explaining it). I did also copy you with the location of the swamp in zancudo. I saw it and it looked like a good addition. But im going to put fort zancudo further down the river replacing the military base in san fierro (in san andreas) so its not exactly alike. I also thought about moving the swamp to the other opening near san fierro. But i put it near los santos because it fits the gta v location. Sorry for this being long but i do really admire your map. And please keep updating. Also if you do want to see my map progress you can just say so. (you dont have to)

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:28 PM Edited by Libertyking, 24 October 2013 - 11:30 PM.

I actually like how you connected Alamo Sea and Sherman reservoir (even if it's geographically illogical, but that is mostly because I'm a map nerd...). It makes your map unique and it's a good idea. I somehow knew it was Sherman reservoir without it even be recognizable. I wouldn't have done this as I want to make my map to look more like real life California.

As an advice, you should start with small towns and not with Los Santos to familiarize yourself with roads. The map I'm doing right now is the first map I've done in Paint.NET. I constantly change things because I learn new things by myself and I want my map to be close to perfection (Yes, I'm really perfectionist.).

Right now, I can't do an update as I need to separate Red county and Whetstone because the Bay area (San Francisco etc.) is a lot too close to Los Santos. I can't draw San Juan (parody of San José) because of the towns in Red County and because of the state border. My map keeps getting bigger (and better!) every time I edit it. I'm kinda proud of myself right now, but I'm getting tired of trying to find names for cities and towns.

And thanks!

greasy_rainbow
  • greasy_rainbow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:07 AM Edited by greasy_rainbow, 21 February 2014 - 08:49 PM.

I actually like how you connected Alamo Sea and Sherman reservoir (even if it's geographically illogical, but that is mostly because I'm a map nerd...). It makes your map unique and it's a good idea. I somehow knew it was Sherman reservoir without it even be recognizable. I wouldn't have done this as I want to make my map to look more like real life California.

As an advice, you should start with small towns and not with Los Santos to familiarize yourself with roads. The map I'm doing right now is the first map I've done in Paint.NET. I constantly change things because I learn new things by myself and I want my map to be close to perfection (Yes, I'm really perfectionist.).

Right now, I can't do an update as I need to separate Red county and Whetstone because the Bay area (San Francisco etc.) is a lot too close to Los Santos. I can't draw San Juan (parody of San José) because of the towns in Red County and because of the state border. My map keeps getting bigger (and better!) every time I edit it. I'm kinda proud of myself right now, but I'm getting tired of trying to find names for cities and towns.

And thanks!

Im a perfectionist too, i know what you mean. When first getting on today to work on my map i spent an hour on just changing the land to my liking. And thanks for the advice, Ive done many maps with countryside and city (not trying to brag) so ive gotten the skill of knowing how to shape roads in different sections. Also, for the mountains and hills area i copied off you buy putting a darker shade of green where the hills are, im not trying to copy the location though. I spent way too much time just trying to make mountains and just deleting them. So i hope you dont mind too much.

GS San Andreas Map Update 1.1

0u40JwI.jpg

• ObsydianRaven likes this

KaRzY6
  • KaRzY6

♧ Sick Kunt ♤

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:04 AM

Good to see this topic is still alive, I love seeing everyone's maps. I might create a new one soonish. :)

ObsydianRaven
  • ObsydianRaven

Formerly Sethpenguin

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

:whistle:

SethsMap-1.png

greasy_rainbow
  • greasy_rainbow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:44 PM Edited by greasy_rainbow, 21 February 2014 - 08:49 PM.

GS San Andreas Map Update 1.2

So i have finished just about of all Los Santos. I have drastically changed the landscape. I do also plan on making it a building map too. Stay tuned for more updates.

Fantasy Los Santos districts vs real life Los Angeles districts

Downtown - New Downtown

Textile City - Fashion District

Commerce - Civic Center

Chinatown - Chinatown

Mirror Park - Echo Park

Vinewood - Hollywood

Rockford Hills - Beverly Hills

Del Perro - Santa Moncia

Backlot City - Culver City

(not shown) Decardo City - Century City

Vespucci - Venice

Vespucci Beach - Venice Beach

Vespucci Canals - Venice Canals

Playa Del Seville - Playa Del Ray

Gabriel Beach - Manhatten Beach

Idlewood - Inglewood

Los Flores - Boyle Heights

Rancho - Watts

Ganton - Compton

Pamper - Downey

Carter - Carson

Lorrendo - Torrence

Willowfield - Wilmington

Ocean Docks - Port of Los Angeles

La Puerta - San Pedro

LSIA - LAX

Rancho Del Vagos - Ranchos Palos Verdes

AUHC7Sq.png

Please leave response so i can know when to update  :colgate: 

• ObsydianRaven likes this

ObsydianRaven
  • ObsydianRaven

Formerly Sethpenguin

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

Finished,

MapCopy.png

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:48 PM Edited by Libertyking, 09 November 2013 - 09:50 PM.

BSmc1wT.png

So this is the preview of my new Liberty City map. This is my first try at making a New York/Liberty City map. You may notice that the general shape of this part of the map is very similar to IV's map. This is because this map will be like a larger version of IV's map, looking a bit more like real life New York. The icons come directly from the files of EFLC for PC. I noticed some icons, like the hospital one, never appear in-game.

I will still work on my San Andreas map, but I stopped for now as I'm getting bored of always doing the same map. So sometimes, I will do an update for my Liberty City map, and sometimes for my San Andreas one.

This will someday become a map of the entire states of Liberty and Alderney, but I will only start it when I'll finish this one.

Please leave feedback!

@sethpenguin: Your map looks OK, it's just a little bit too boxy and grid-like.

@greasy_rainbow: Wow, you're fast! Looking forward to this!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users