GTA Mapmaking

4,287 replies to this topic
UhHumanah
  • UhHumanah

Motown

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:39 AM

I added to my map almost three weeks ago. I don't know why I waited so long before posting this, but here it is.

About the south-left stretch of land, I decided "f*ck it, we cut it off" for no reason, really. I guess I needed it to be the island with the rest of the big countryside on it, but I didn't want to do all the big countryside. Not now, at least. Basically, I got too lazy.

Something I'd like to add is that there's a Lake Catalina near Miami. I recreated about half of it. I guess I can call it Lake Cesar. :lol:

Anyway, I'm done working on Vice City for the time being. Anyone have any suggestions for what I can add on what I have of this map, feel free to say.

iP2ZiDa.png

I'm also probably not going to be doing anything like blips for this map, mainly because SumoPaint doesn't let you copy and paste stuff. I don't know why it's not a feature, you could easily put it in with the whole layer thing they have going on. I guess I wouldn't know, I'm not a programmer. Maybe copy and pasting is for paying customers only? I'm not one for that stuff, not yet, at least.

I'm rambling. It's a late night and I'm tired from playing GTA V. I'll stop here.

Maybe you could do the Florida Keys?

helpplease
  • helpplease

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:08 PM

There is also a random map generator if you want some kind of geography. 

http://topps.diku.dk/torbenm/maps.msp

The_Anti-tragedy
  • The_Anti-tragedy

Paintin' it black

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:47 PM

I added to my map almost three weeks ago. I don't know why I waited so long before posting this, but here it is.

About the south-left stretch of land, I decided "f*ck it, we cut it off" for no reason, really. I guess I needed it to be the island with the rest of the big countryside on it, but I didn't want to do all the big countryside. Not now, at least. Basically, I got too lazy.

Something I'd like to add is that there's a Lake Catalina near Miami. I recreated about half of it. I guess I can call it Lake Cesar. :lol:

Anyway, I'm done working on Vice City for the time being. Anyone have any suggestions for what I can add on what I have of this map, feel free to say.

Spoiler

I'm also probably not going to be doing anything like blips for this map, mainly because SumoPaint doesn't let you copy and paste stuff. I don't know why it's not a feature, you could easily put it in with the whole layer thing they have going on. I guess I wouldn't know, I'm not a programmer. Maybe copy and pasting is for paying customers only? I'm not one for that stuff, not yet, at least.

I'm rambling. It's a late night and I'm tired from playing GTA V. I'll stop here.

Maybe you could do the Florida Keys?

I'll think about it.

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

COUNSELOR!! COME OUT WHEREVER YOU ARE!!

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:31 PM Edited by Midnight Hitman, 22 December 2014 - 07:44 PM.

I'll think about it.

translation: no

so, i been doing my map and i found an air force base near Washington DC, so i moved a bit closer and  decided to add it the map (because having a military base it's always  a great addition to a gta game)

what i'm asking before start adding more details to the map is:
the map could do without the air force base/is not realistic or the version of the map that has the air force base has more potential?

version without the air force base.
Spoiler

version with the air force base.
Spoiler

feedback on this would be very appreciated, feel free to also criticize other aspects of the map as well.

• universetwisters, The_Anti-tragedy, henriquedematos and 1 other like this

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

The "A"

• Facade Corporation
  • Poland

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:54 PM Edited by phoenixShine, 22 December 2014 - 07:54 PM.

Liberty City & Alderney State Map version 2.0

qN389Lb.jpg

Version without locations' names on the map

• Android, ClaudX and henriquedematos like this

ramy94
  • ramy94

Player Hater

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:49 AM

Thanks for the kind words. The island with the airstrip is based on an island I saw on Google Maps. ramy94 on the previous page suggested I add islands to the right of Vice Beach so it doesn't feel too empty.  :colgate:

One of the best maps in this thread, really like it. And this little island is also very nice, although I don't know why airstrip is there, but it's nice idea :santa: I hope you'll finish these routes on the risght side of map :D

• The_Anti-tragedy likes this

CDT_boss
  • CDT_boss

Just Chillin' N Cruisin'

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:07 PM

Okay as a Christmas present for the forums I finally finished my GTA IV (Vice City) concept map, here you go:

gTMaYRk.jpg

I didn't find a scanner, but I got a pretty good picture with my phone.

I guess you can kinda see the resemblence to RL Florida and the carribean aswell as Cuba (bottom island), I also have Fla Keys. As you can see all the islands are pretty close togheter and the scale is a bit of between some of the islands, this is due to space isues on a A3 paper. I added Vice city at top right, florida keys stretching out right underneath and towards cuba, tampa bay aswell as sarasota/clearwater beach is all the way to the left and on the top of the big lake is Orlando/Sebring combo.

Island above cuba all the way to the left is based on Puerto Rico, middle big island is Jamaica, the big one with two cities to the left is Dominican republic/Haiti. The island group to the right above puerto rico is the bahamas/nassau.

Ofcourse the island placement is not true to RL, but if I had a bigger thing to draw on I would put them farther apart and in more fitting spots.

Drawing maps is pretty cool actually, I like it. Very nice to relax and draw, when taking a break after playing GTA V, or getting home from work. Okay so tell me what you guys think! And have a merry Christmas! :santa:

• NothingSpecial, ddyoung, Nico and 23 others like this

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

COUNSELOR!! COME OUT WHEREVER YOU ARE!!

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:25 PM Edited by Midnight Hitman, 24 December 2014 - 08:38 PM.

too soon to upload, but guess which classic gta city i started in here:

4NgSWGK.png

Las Venturas

Bingo!!
Props for not saying Las Vegas!!
Have a thumbs up!!
:^:
  • DaWiesel, RedDagger, The_Anti-tragedy and 5 others like this

SweetToadette01
  • SweetToadette01

The Commander and the Leader

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:30 PM

too soon to upload, but guess which classic gta city i started in here:

4NgSWGK.png

Las Venturas

• The Deadite likes this

Carmain
  • Carmain

Im back bitches...

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 December 2014 - 08:06 PM Edited by Carmain2K, 25 December 2014 - 08:50 PM.

MERRY CHRISTMAS MAPMAKERS (And people who look on this thread and are like 'DAFUQ how the hell do they do dat?!).

I have not posted anything mapping related for a very long time (Too long in fact), and as a Christmas Present to all of you I have finished the SF portion of my New San Andreas map. Well when I say finished I actually mean I need to add a load of little details but the majority of the map is complete. Here is the map, combined with the existing LS portion, in a link 'cause is is so feckin huge (4000x9300 pixels - gulp!).

LINK CLICK HERE m9

Well, all I need to do is the coast effect (this be tedious as hell), add a few more placenames, county lines (could get interesting), train lines (even more sketchy) and a bit more random refinement and adjustment. Any questions/requests/improvements for the map, fire away. But please, keep the requests to the 'finale', the LV portion, which is east of the current map. But with dat done I wish you all a very merry Christmas and I will (probably) see you all in the new year! And Oooh, I'm the 1600th reply.

• CDT_boss, Nico, killdrivetheftvehicle and 11 others like this

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

I occasionally make maps.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 25 December 2014 - 09:19 PM

You know, I have never finished any map and I keep making new ones everytime. I have no idea how you can do so much. That map is humongous! You really are the best mapmaker I've ever seen. Keep on the great work! And Merry Christmas!

• Carmain likes this

Carmain
  • Carmain

Im back bitches...

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 December 2014 - 09:34 PM Edited by Carmain2K, 25 December 2014 - 09:35 PM.

Doing this takes a very long time, hell this map has taken a year to reach the point it is at. Its just something I come back to now and again when I get a bit bored. And thanks for the complement Liberty!

And something random, it feels a bit weird to be called the best mapper, because as I am 14 - I'm probably the youngest contributer to this thread, my first map was this pile of crap (more than 2 years old at this point - I was 12 when I made it) and I have been heavily inspired and influenced by LibertyKing, Drscot and a few others.

MERRY XMAS AND A HAPPY NEW EASTER!

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

I occasionally make maps.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 25 December 2014 - 09:39 PM Edited by LibertyKing, 25 December 2014 - 09:40 PM.

New Easter? Has Jesus resurrected another time? Did I miss that?

And btw, I'm 15, so you don't have to feel weird cuz you're 14.

• Carmain likes this

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:57 AM Edited by gtamann123, 26 December 2014 - 01:58 AM.

My original unfinished Las Venturas map 

Gigno45.jpg

And my unfinished re-do of it. 

Ckv89xT.jpg

which one do you like better?

The Re-do is almost twice the size of the original one which will allow me to add even more detail. Plus I like the color scheme better. 

• The_Anti-tragedy, Carmain and UhHumanah like this

Carmain
  • Carmain

Im back bitches...

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:30 AM

Gigno45.jpg

Ckv89xT.jpg

The Re-do is almost twice the size of the original one which will allow me to add even more detail. Plus I like the color scheme better. 

The redo seems better, vasty colour wise, but I like where you placed the city on the original. I would say to move the city towards the center of the map, and then just add and add until it is finished/you get bored. Nice beginning, by the way. :santa:  

• gtamann123 likes this

The_Anti-tragedy
  • The_Anti-tragedy

Paintin' it black

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:36 AM

A map I made about a year and a half ago. I will admit, what I said in the original post wasn't true. There isn't a blip version, but that's because my old laptop broke down and I had to get a new one. The new one isn't compatible with many file types and programs, so I couldn't just open up Paint and continue working on it.

But this is a completed version of the map, before the laptop broke down, that I haven't posted here until now.

fR0U2rL.png

I admit, it's pretty absurd that the two cities are connected over water by a long bridge, and the airport in the northern city is way too small. It's pretty funny, actually. I also made an airport road shaped like a penis. You know, Rockstar humor and all that.

About Vice City and my Los Santos Remake, I will continue and resume working on those maps respectively, while having a new map on the side in the works. I feel creative.

Also, Merry Christmas. :santa: 

• DaWiesel, theGTAking101, Carmain and 4 others like this

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:39 AM

-snip-

-snip-

The redo seems better, vasty colour wise, but I like where you placed the city on the original. I would say to move the city towards the center of the map, and then just add and add until it is finished/you get bored. Nice beginning, by the way. :santa:  

Well I figured that if I put the actual city in the bottom right corner then I will be able to use all of that area to the West as countryside and still be able to fit in area 51 without it being right next to the city. 

• Carmain likes this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:23 AM

MERRY CHRISTMAS MAPMAKERS (And people who look on this thread and are like 'DAFUQ how the hell do they do dat?!).

I have not posted anything mapping related for a very long time (Too long in fact), and as a Christmas Present to all of you I have finished the SF portion of my New San Andreas map. Well when I say finished I actually mean I need to add a load of little details but the majority of the map is complete. Here is the map, combined with the existing LS portion, in a link 'cause is is so feckin huge (4000x9300 pixels - gulp!).

LINK CLICK HERE m9

Well, all I need to do is the coast effect (this be tedious as hell), add a few more placenames, county lines (could get interesting), train lines (even more sketchy) and a bit more random refinement and adjustment. Any questions/requests/improvements for the map, fire away. But please, keep the requests to the 'finale', the LV portion, which is east of the current map. But with dat done I wish you all a very merry Christmas and I will (probably) see you all in the new year! And Oooh, I'm the 1600th reply.

Very impressive. Do the yellow dotted lines in your map mark County borders?

Carmain
  • Carmain

Im back bitches...

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:13 PM

LINK CLICK HERE m9

Very impressive. Do the yellow dotted lines in your map mark County borders?

Yeah. The reason doing them for the northern half of the map could be a problem is that I dont even know what countys we are going to have, let alone where the lines will be.

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:52 PM Edited by Queen Elizabeth II, 26 December 2014 - 03:52 PM.

That's mine LV map. Not finished 'tho.

6Xfp99U.png

Based on this Las Vegas map: http://www.mapoflasv...asvegas-map.gif

• The_Anti-tragedy and Carmain like this

CDT_boss
  • CDT_boss

Just Chillin' N Cruisin'

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:03 PM

That's mine LV map. Not finished 'tho.

6Xfp99U.png

Based on this Las Vegas map: http://www.mapoflasv...asvegas-map.gif

I like The blips, where did you get those from?

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:29 PM

GTA IV Map legend :santa:

• CDT_boss likes this

JStarr31
  • JStarr31

Vice Money Murder Gang {V.$.M.G}

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:58 AM Edited by JStarr31, 27 December 2014 - 01:04 AM.

This is the full map for my interpretation of how a current-gen/HD remake of Vice City would be. I've now finally fully added every neighborhood in the Vice & Brevard County areas. 6g8oj9.jpg
I honestly feel the names I came up with are pretty "R*-ish"....

@The_Anti-tragedy.... Your street layout is AWESOME. You certainly have the best VC rendition in my opinion. It just something about everyone else's that doesn't capture the south Florida/Miami feel. To me, all other maps look like tropical foreign/non-American country maps.... And I'm a Miami native

Names of every Neighborhood:
Spoiler

The full map in its original size:
Spoiler
[/quote]
  • The_Anti-tragedy and theGTAking101 like this

The_Anti-tragedy
  • The_Anti-tragedy

Paintin' it black

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 27 December 2014 - 03:06 AM

A bit of an update. I actually don't know if I can continue Vice City. SumoPaint is being a bitch; it keeps crashing on me at the slightest things. I can't make a small shape or fill something in with colour without the page crashing seconds later.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I figured I also might as well share this; a recoloured version of the map I posted yesterday, with the colour scheme of the Vice City map.

Spoiler

Version w/ alleys the same colour as roads:

Spoiler

• Android, UhHumanah and The Deadite like this

Player Hater

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:54 PM

Update my San Fierro map.
A long time since my last update SF map, so it has many new features. I know that the airport is small. The gray island to SF right is a naval military base, and the 'risk' black is the runway the aircraft carrier. The mountain to the right of the bay is based in Sierra Nevada, and that north of it is a swamp.
I hope you enjoy and please comment.

san_fierro3_GG.jpg
  • theGTAking101 likes this

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:16 PM

I admit, it's pretty absurd that the two cities are connected over water by a long bridge,

Rockstar did that in GTA IV :)

• The_Anti-tragedy likes this

Landotel
  • Landotel

RED DEAD 3 HYPE TRAIN (Just Kidding f*ck TAKE TWO)

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:34 AM

Dang I want to make my own map, but I have an iMac. Is there a great alternative for paint.net?

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:20 AM

Dang I want to make my own map, but I have an iMac. Is there a great alternative for paint.net?

I think GIMP might be Mac compatible as well.

• Landotel likes this

Landotel
  • Landotel

RED DEAD 3 HYPE TRAIN (Just Kidding f*ck TAKE TWO)

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:44 AM

I think GIMP might be Mac compatible as well.

Thanks I will give it a try, I have an application called Sketchbook Express, but it's really no use for me. I wanted to do this map for quite a while so this is what I created in Sketchbook Express. 

These are regions of San Diego County. I named my county San Eduardo County and these regions are based on real life regions. All though I didn't put roads or freeways (that could be happening soon when I install GIMP) it might as well come out soon.

This is my first time making a map so it might look really bad.

*Details coming soon...

NeoaKAD.jpg

• The_Anti-tragedy, SweetToadette01, henriquedematos and 2 others like this

henriquedematos
  • henriquedematos

Proud member of the SA Pfister Owners Club™

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:38 AM

Posted in Future map additions, but after Ivar pointed me to this thread, I guess it could also be relevant here:

North Yankton could easily be added as a small area you can travel to at any moment. Obviously, the in-game NY is hardly in good enough shape to be added as a fully playable map, but I don't think it would be impossible to develop it to that point either:

• Use the long road that heads into Ludendorff, used to drive on in the missions set in NY, as the center of the map and the starting point on which the rest of the map would be built around.
  • Add in a regional or small international airport on the east area, to serve as the connection from North Yankton back to Los Santos and evidently also as a spawn point for aircraft. Additionally, build a small village near it, so it isn't simply an airstrip in the middle of nothing.
  • Develop the town of Ludendorff, make it maybe around the same size as Paleto Bay. Add in a few more towns and villages here and there.
  • Add a few mountains in the north and south and maybe use them for some interesting buildings and activities, like a snow resort or a ski track (Just imagine something like this!)
  • Expand the river that exists in North Yankton, starting in the mountains and ending in a decently-sized lake, for the sake of scenic variety.
  • Use the borders of the map as an endless, generic and foggy snowy terrain, serving as the limits for the player to explore. It might sound a bit dysfunctional, but in the end it really isn't too different from the sea in San Andreas.

Also, I think North Yankton could be reached in two different ways:

• 1 - Purchasing a flight in Los Santos International Airport, which would play a cutscene of the player leaving Los Santos in a FlyUS jetliner and arriving in the North Yankton airport, then spawning the player outside of it. Similarly, the player could buy another flight back in the NY airport.
  • 2 - Piloting an aircraft in any direction away from San Andreas, an advice would appear asking if the player wants to travel to North Yankton or not. Accepting it would promptly spawn the player over the skies of North Yankton. Similarly, flying away from the limits of North Yankton would give the player the opportunity to fly back to Los Santos.

And to better illustrate my ideas about the map, a poorly made MS Paint representation drawn over the original North Yankton map:

y8vkKCW.png
Original: http://i.imgur.com/X2qdvDl.png

• Joriz, DaWiesel, The_Anti-tragedy and 11 others like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users