GTA Mapmaking

3,795 replies to this topic
LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

I occasionally make maps.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:18 PM

Well see you in 10 years when I'll be finished with all that...

Carmain
  • Carmain

Im back bitches...

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:51 PM

I am making a map for a concept thread called GTA VI - Las Venturas. Obviously, it is set in a remade Las Venturas and its surrounding areas. It is set over three county's, LV County (Las Vegas County), Diablo County (Southern Nevada) and Tierra Robada (Sierra Nevada). I started work on the map today. Hope you like it:

l96wbCE.jpg

Click the link for a version without names:http://imgur.com/FTtFtaG

Any Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!  :santa:     

• WildBrick142 likes this

greasy_rainbow
  • greasy_rainbow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:19 PM Edited by greasy_rainbow, 10 November 2013 - 05:20 PM.

I am making a map for a concept thread called GTA VI - Las Venturas. Obviously, it is set in a remade Las Venturas and its surrounding areas. It is set over three county's, LV County (Las Vegas County), Diablo County (Southern Nevada) and Tierra Robada (Sierra Nevada). I started work on the map today. Hope you like it:

l96wbCE.jpg

Click the link for a version without names:http://imgur.com/FTtFtaG

Any Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!  :santa:

It looks pretty good so far.I like how your doing the whole state of Nevada rather then just las ventures.it will be very interesting to see your map progress

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:20 PM Edited by Libertyking, 10 November 2013 - 08:40 PM.

Update:

WorWrUf.png

Click here for the version without names/icons.

My map is really taking shape! I've made it two times bigger so I could write more names and put more detailed icons. I've mixed GTA IV's Liberty City and real life New York, so I needed to change some name. The Chrysler Building is now named Schyster Building (It was named Zirconium Building in IV) . I forgot the Empire State Building, but it will be named Rotterdam State Building instead of Rotterdam Tower. I added New York Public Library (Liberty City Central Library), the Madison Square Garden (Westminster Triangle Garden) and the Vespucci Circus (Columbus Circle). I've named the Lincoln Center "Vespucci Center" because I didn't know there was a name for it in IV (Randolf Art Center). I'll correct this in the next update. I've added names for some unnamed places in IV like the Rockster Center (Rockefeller Center) and Algonquin Museum of Natural History (American Museum of Natural History). I tried to put most venues (Bars, restaurants) in the exact same spot than in IV because my map is basically a larger, better version of IV's Liberty City.

(Sorry for the bar icon over the museum, didn't realize it was there when I made the museum. There won't be a bar in the museum. ;))

Feedback is welcome!

Edit: Forgot to say: The strange icon looking like a table is actually a bed and it's meant to represent an hotel. Also, the Binco icon was made by myself with an HQ logo of Binco which comes from the German GTA Wiki.

• greasy_rainbow likes this

Carmain
  • Carmain

Im back bitches...

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:06 PM Edited by Carmain2K, 10 November 2013 - 11:08 PM.

Las Venturas Map - Update 2

Another Day, Another Update. Now I have cleaned up the coast, added more mountains, sorted out the 'Robada River' (name not final) and started to make Las Venturas (which is the next thing on my to-do list. Here is the update:

DAI7QdK.jpg

Here is the link to the map without names: http://i.imgur.com/ZHkKH3Q.jpg

I hope you like the update, Feedback will be appreciated. My next update will probably be Thursday or Friday. Also, Libertyking, your map looks alot better than the GTAIV one, even in this stage of it. Thanks for reading.  :santa:   

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:31 AM

Update 2:

O9SDT3J.png

(The tunnel layer did not appear. There are tunnels at Booth Tunnel, under the Civilization Committee and north of the Grand Easton Station)

Major update today with much more detail. A lot of areas were updated. Most importantly, I added the Westminster Triangle Park (Madison Square Park), the Triangle Building and the Triangle neighborhood (Flatiron), Presidents City (Stuyvesant Town and Peter Cooper Village), the Purgatory Space, Sea and Air museum (Intrepid Sea, Air and Space museum), the Columbus Cathedral (St. Patrick's Cathedral; forgot to write the name on the map, it's the three gray buildings under "Hatton Gardens), the Jiggleheim Museum (I know, awful name; Guggenheim museum) the Liberty City Marina (New York Marina) and the Rotterdam University (Columbia University). I updated a lot more things, but I won't list them all. I also started a legend. You may see the "O's" logo that says "Ochiddy's". It's in fact a parody of McDonald's. I also made a fast logo for it if anyone is interested.

@Carmain2K: Thanks! I will someday make the whole city, and later the whole state!

I will be pleased if you give feedback!

Carmain
  • Carmain

Im back bitches...

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:15 PM Edited by Carmain2K, 14 November 2013 - 10:16 PM.

Las Venturas Map - Update 3:

On schedule, here is the next update for my map. Changelog is as follows:

• Expanded Las Venturas
  • Added Las Venturas Airport (LVA)
  • Beginning to add in neighbourhood names (suggestions would be great) 
  • Longer Railway track (from LV to Coyote)
  • Lake Coyote now has a point from where it flows.
  • More mountains to enclose Lake Coyote a bit more.

Here is the map:

xU4zV1h.jpg

Here is the link to the map with no names: http://i.imgur.com/v74rwJ9.jpg

Hope you like the update. Feedback is, as always, appreciated. Next update will be on Monday or Tuesday, with the main part of LV (inside the ring road) complete. Thank you for reading.   

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:44 AM

@Carmain2K: Your map looks good! As an advice, you should add some curved roads in the city so that it doesn't look too boxy and grid-like. Sorry btw, I just can't stand grid-like maps. :ph34r:

-------------

About my map, I won't do an update before I completely finish Algonquin. BUT, I still have a blurry image of the whole thing to please some people (maybe the three-four people that commented). I don't want to show the finished product, so it's really blurry:

0psVs52.png

With this, you can see the general shape of the map, some parks and bridges. I'm not close to be finished. If I'm fast, the update will be next weekend, but there's more chances it'll be sometimes next week.

greasy_rainbow
  • greasy_rainbow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:31 PM Edited by greasy_rainbow, 16 November 2013 - 06:32 PM.

I would post updates for my san andreas map. But unfortunately my map became corrupt and its completely ruined. I might make another in the future but for now im just gonna take a break from map making

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:59 PM

Oh... Well this is bad news. Sorry for you. It happened to me in the past but as I made bazillions of backups I didn't lose much. I usually save to a USB key or something like that to avoid this kind of things. You didn't have any backups, did you?

greasy_rainbow
  • greasy_rainbow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

No i didnt, i thought nothing was going to happen but i will make backups in the future. Ive learned my lesson

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

But what happened exactly? Did your computer turn off while you were saving or did something like this happen:

7ETaoTo.png

That is what happened to me while making a map of San Andreas some months ago. I was lucky because the only thing I changed since the last backup was the roads under the strange gray area.

greasy_rainbow
  • greasy_rainbow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:19 AM

Wow it was exactly that, haha well now I know to make a backup next time :p

EasterExplorer
  • EasterExplorer

DOCTAH

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:25 AM

Hello everyone ! I am Russian , so I 'm sorry for the mistakes .
I read this topic and also decided to make a map of the city. The city I came up with - it Vinepolis . The map is one large island, which is the city itself . Written the names of bridges and areas. This is a beta version, and I 'll even do a mod on this card (because I know how to do it ) . And soon I will modify the map and plotted the outlines of buildings, streets do better , add a couple of small islands. Rate it! )
FmRjb.jpg
And now about the areas
South Tennant - ghetto in the style of Los Santos.
Downtown - no need to explain .
Vine Docks - the area of ​​ports and factories.
Vinepolis Airport - all too clear , but it involves the private sector in the north of the city.
Smith District - Second Ghetto (to be elaborated )
Vine Beach - beach area . Near area too rich.

EasterExplorer
  • EasterExplorer

DOCTAH

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

Ejc0.jpg

SECf5.jpg

• BIGSON_RUS likes this

Carmain
  • Carmain

Im back bitches...

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

Las Venturas Map - Update 4:

My next update is here. Sorry it is a bit delayed, I haven't had much time to make the map. The changelog is as follows:

• Finished the main part of Las Venturas.
  • Added some new area names to Las Venturas. These are most likely here to stay.
  • Finished the mountains around Lake Coyote.
  • Added a road that links Coyote to Las Venturas. Around the junction will be the town of Hemmingway.

Here is the map:

CBmBlX7.jpg

Here is the link to the map without names: http://i.imgur.com/FJzvFcJ.jpg

Hope you like the update. Libertyking, I have followed your advice and tried to make the city less grid-like. I think it looks better as a result. Next update should be at the weekend and will feature a more complete LV County. As always, feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

:santa:  

• Alchemist likes this

EasterExplorer
  • EasterExplorer

DOCTAH

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:18 PM

08LasVenturas, it's awesome! I like it.

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:01 PM Edited by Libertyking, 27 November 2013 - 09:02 PM.

Update 3:

9pJMbkQ.png

I couldn't wait until I finish Algonquin before updating. So here I am with a major update for my LC map. I made most of lower Algonquin (Lower Manhattan), excluding Castle Garden City (Battery Park City), the International Exchange Center (New World Trade Center), ports, buildings and parks. I might remake the Exchange's street grid because it doesn't look good enough. I made some bridges: the Broker Bridge (Brooklyn Bridge), the Algonquin Bridge (Manhattan Bridge) and the Williamsburg Bridge, for which I haven't found a name yet. I added a lot of neighborhoods (from S to N): The Exchange (Financial District), Castle Garden City, Bridges Midway (Two-Bridges), City Hall (Civic Center), TriBeRi (TriBeCa, as Canal street will be named River street), South Eastern Side (Lower East Side), Chinatown, Little Italy, Humboldt Plaza (Hudson Square), Suffolk (SoHo), Norfolk (NoHo), Western Town (West Village/Greenwich Village), Eastern Town (East Village) and The Meat Quarter (Meatpacking District). Fishmarket will be just under the Broker Bridge.

@Those who want to see my San Andreas map, you'll have to wait!

Feedback is always welcome, especially for such an update!

Edit: Update 3.5

lJHwCRl.png

Just wanted to show an updated version of lower Algonquin. :)

Carmain
  • Carmain

Im back bitches...

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:00 PM Edited by Carmain2K, 24 November 2013 - 06:03 PM.

Las Venturas Map - Update 5:

My next update is here. Here is the Changelog:

• Towns of Hemmingway and Crystal have been made.
  • More mountains to create a valley for Crystal to sit in.
  • New roads linking Hemmingway to Crstal and the Highway.
  • Mountains now land-lock the map.
  • Roads have been added around Lake Coyote (which is now almost done, only needs fine details)

Here is the map:

pJtFUtY.jpg

Here is the link to the map without names:http://i.imgur.com/opWTmQc.jpg

Thanks for reading. Next up is completely finishing LV and continuing Diablo County. Feedback is  always welcome (And hoped for, so I know what I am doing wrong).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Libertyking: I really like your map now, looks a lot like Manhattan (in a good way). You sorted out my only complaint (Grid around the Exchange) before I could comment. Very nice.

EasterExplorer: Sorry I didn't comment sooner. You have made a very good, original map. In the future, try and add more roads into the map (It will look more realistic). Good Job.    

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

@Carmain2K: Actually, I think the streets in the Exchange are still very ugly, but I can't do anything about it, because it looks like that in New York... Your map looks great! Maybe you should expand Las Venturas a bit out of the highways and why is there no curved roads?

Carmain
  • Carmain

Im back bitches...

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:41 PM Edited by Carmain2K, 24 November 2013 - 09:46 PM.

@Carmain2K: Actually, I think the streets in the Exchange are still very ugly, but I can't do anything about it, because it looks like that in New York... Your map looks great! Maybe you should expand Las Venturas a bit out of the highways and why is there no curved roads?

Thank you. I am going to be expanding LV to the north and west for the next update. I would put curved roads in but in Photoshop you can't...I have tried to make them but a combonation of Photoshop and a half broken laptop mouse button makes them look rubbish. Oh well... next time I will be using Paint.net so my maps should look a bit cleaner in the future. Are you doing north Algonquin now? Can't wait for the next update. 

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:50 PM Edited by Libertyking, 24 November 2013 - 11:55 PM.

Oh, I see, laptop mouse and Photoshop combonation...

And I'm still working on Lower Algonquin as I want to finish this before starting something else. I'm pretty much finished now. I'm currently adding icons. I will update tomorrow or Tuesday.

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:18 AM Edited by Libertyking, 27 November 2013 - 09:03 PM.

Sorry for double posting but there is no other way people could've known I updated.

Update 4:

CJUQAKW.png

So, relatively big update. I changed the roads in The Exchange, added icons, I made Castle Gardens and the World Trade and Finance Center (World Financial Center, I chose this name because in GTA IV it was named WTF Center) and the International Exchange Center (World Trade Center, the new one because I don't think there will a GTA game set in LC before the WTC gets finished). I added ports, parks, I finished the Peter Cooper Village part of Presidents City, I made a new ferry icon (It's not on the legend, sorry). I still have a lot of buildings to add in City Hall, Bridges Midway, South Eastern Side and some other places. I made the Dukes-Easton Tunnel (Queens-Midtown Tunnel), I added some churches in lower Algonquin: St. Paul's Chapel and the Trinity Church. I've got no names for them now, finding names is not my priority. I named the Metropolitan Life Insurance Tower the Getaway Life Insurance Tower so that it matches the Getalife Building name. I moved the heliport in Lower Algonquin north and I forgot to move the helicopter icon.

Please give feedback!

weidncol
  • weidncol

World Trade Center Mod Manager

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:58 AM

Very nice job, Liberty! Looks almost exactly like real Manhattan. Like the names also :)

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

Thanks weidncol! It's been a long time since I've seen you online. Good to hear from you.

I will update next weekend.

Carmain
  • Carmain

Im back bitches...

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:44 PM Edited by Carmain2K, 29 November 2013 - 09:07 PM.

Las Venturas Map - Update 6:

Hi everyone. Sorry it's been a while, but here is the next update. The Changelog is as follows:

• Roads connecting Crystal to LV.
  • A new town (name not created).
  • Expanded LVA.
  • Added a load of area on the outskirts of LV. This is going to be the 'South Los Santos' of the map.
  • Made LV Superspeedway.

​Here is the map.

kN7uPTa.jpg

As ever, here is the link to the unnamed version: http://i.imgur.com/pnuOl7B.jpg 

So, that is the update. I have really tried with the roads on the outskirts to try and strike a balance between Grids and Curves, which I think I have done nicely. But, as always, if you disagree or have something you want me to add, please comment. I will try to always implement your suggestions. On the next few updates, I will be focusing on Diablo County, and trying to make that look good.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Libertyking: 'Looks at map... :panic: ...  :cookie:  :cookie:  :cookie:  :cookie:  :cookie: ' Absolutely brilliant. One of the best maps I have seen for a long time. Well Done!

My next update should be out on Sunday or Monday. Thanks for reading.

EDIT: Something is wrong with the changelog. Can't seem to sort it out. Oh Well...

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:03 AM Edited by Libertyking, 30 November 2013 - 04:13 AM.

@Carmain2K: Thank you! I'm proud someone likes my map that much! :) Yours looks great too! I hope to see it completed someday, hopefully soon!

I will update later today, or tomorrow, depends in what time zone you're in. :lol: I'm doing northern Algonquin right now and I think I've got too much inspiration. This might well turn into a piece of art. It's late here in EST (11:00 pm). I think I should always work on my map when I'm tired, it helps me keep focused, somehow.  Can't believe I've done so much in a short amount of time like this. I'll stop showing off now.

Carmain
  • Carmain

Im back bitches...

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:08 PM Edited by Carmain2K, 30 November 2013 - 12:13 PM.

Las Venturas Map - Update 7:

It may of been only 15 hours since the last update, but I am home alone and bored. So here it is. The Changelog is as follows:

• Added Area 69.
  • Added Fort Mitchell
  • Created a new town. Not sure what to name it. Any Suggestions?
  • More roads around Diablo County have been made.
  • Started on the Terra Robada Moutains
  • Rail Line now reaches Fort Mitchell.

Here is the map:

JHDomjM.jpg

As ever, here is the link to the map without names: http://i.imgur.com/MJy5gYf.jpg

So that is the new update. Hope you like it. Feedback is really helpful, so if you think I am doing something wrong, tell me. It is only a small update, but I have only been working on the map for just over a hour. In my next update I will continue with Diablo County, I am really pleased with how its turning out.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Libertyking: Thanks. My time zone is GMT, time is just after 12 PM. Don't stop showing off. :lol: 

My next update may be out tomorrow, but is more likely to be out on Monday. Thanks for reading.   

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:17 PM Edited by Libertyking, 01 December 2013 - 04:10 AM.

Update 5:

Click here to see update 5.

Again, relatively big update. I started northern Algonquin and I've made the general shape of Bohan and Charge Island. I also changed all OChiddy's into Bean Machines because I thought it was more important in the GTA series than a McDonald's parody I made myself. The icon was made with an in-game texture of GTA IV to which I maxed the contrast, reversed the colors and redrawn. I also remade the area of Grand Easton Station, Getalife Building and the Helmsley Building because I originally made it by memory and it was wrong. I've redrawn the Columbus cathedral so that it look more like the real life St. Patrick's Cathedral. I changed some other things that I'm too lazy to list.

Tankzalat for reading. Please give feedback!

----------

Update 6:

smtlDQX.png

Another update today and the last this weekend. I need a break. I finshed Algonquin at 95%: Streets: Done, Names: Done, Icons: Done, General shape: Done. Only some buildings and details remaining. I'm really not in the mood to list every changes because I'm seriously tired.

Again, feedback is welcome!

EasterExplorer
  • EasterExplorer

DOCTAH

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:16 AM

wow

7 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users