GTA Mapmaking

4,523 replies to this topic
Zetkut
  • Zetkut

Novice Mapmaker

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:27 AM

@Zetkut: Your San Diego seems a bit too close to LS. I suggest you make California bigger in the south or leave San Diego from the map.

Yes but I did not know how, but now I realize how easy it is to edit it xD

Ivankaracheev
  • Ivankaracheev

Mapmaking Novice

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:28 AM Edited by RedDagger, 14 October 2017 - 03:33 PM.

Here's an update on my B&B map of San Fierro + Las Venturas + surrounding areas.
-image-

I've learned since jumping into mapmaking blind over two years ago that doing so is kind of - I don't know - stupid. I've restructured my map quite a bit in the last little while, and the major changes are as follows:

- Finished adding structures to Las Venturas, including McCarthy Airport (McCarran IA).
- Added Lake Monticello (Lake Berryessa) east of LV.
- Began working on Birchwood (Oakland) across the bridge from SF. I had originally intended for it to be southeast of it, but that didn't pan out.
- Mapped out Lincoln Pull (Boulder City) in the southeast corner of the map. Added a mini Lake Mead called Rum Lake.
- Added mountain ranges surrounding the major cities. 
- Sprinkled a few motels across the desert highway.

As usual, any suggestions are welcome. :)

Can you expand the southeastern city a little bit more to north and east?

Upickeddawronghausfool
  • Upickeddawronghausfool

Big Smoke is my dad

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:32 AM

Wow, it's crazy how we've got to page 147 to 149 in a week!

• Ivankaracheev and Ohhh123r like this

Ohhh123r
  • Ohhh123r

How about Happy Shut the F*ck Up!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:45 AM Edited by Ohhh123r, 14 October 2017 - 11:20 AM.

*Final Fight Intro music plays*

Metro City: Update 4

New Update and dramatic changes..

jjgdvs3.png

Changelog

- Middle Island is now less road to look like Algonquin from GTA IV

- North Island about 65% completed

- Multi-Island Tunnel is added (just like Porter Tunnel from GTA 3 and Unfinished Tunnel from LCS)

- Starting to make south island

- New Logo and moved to bottom-left

- R* and Capcom logo added on bottom-right

Bonus: Here the map that i never posted here, Southtown which is based on SNK Series like Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting which these 2 game were takes place in Southtown and attached to Paleto Bay from GTA V (It's still WIP and Southtown is too small)

vHrCeMq.png

• killdrivetheftvehicle, LibertyKing, RedDagger and 12 others like this

Upickeddawronghausfool
  • Upickeddawronghausfool

Big Smoke is my dad

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:59 PM

https://imgur.com/gallery/o7D3m

Liberty State Update 1.1 Changelog:

• Changed up the edges of most of the newly added terrain to make it look more natural.
  • Added a mansion in Natocke (Nantucket). This mansion will be unlocked upon completion of the storyline.
  • LibertyKing, MakeAmericaGreatAgain, Digweg and 2 others like this

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

I occasionally make maps.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:38 PM

I may or may not be redoing my entire map twice as big just so I can add more detail. Whoops. Honestly, if my computer could handle it, I would make it even larger...

work in progress

25zEiek.png

• Kyle17, killdrivetheftvehicle, RedDagger and 18 others like this

Digweg
  • Digweg

Junior Cartographer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:04 AM

Spoiler

Wow... Real nice job.

May I ask, by re doing it, do you mean actually re drawing everything? Or doing something else?

Thanks!

@Cebra, Looks fantastic, something about it just makes it pop.

@Zetkut All of north and South America? Very ambitious, but I love how San Andreas looks so good luck!

• Cebra and MakeAmericaGreatAgain like this

Ivankaracheev
  • Ivankaracheev

Mapmaking Novice

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:38 AM Edited by RedDagger, 15 October 2017 - 07:35 PM.

-snip-

Keep up the good work.
  • straightupmenace, MakeAmericaGreatAgain and Ohhh123r like this

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:47 PM

@Digweg: I trace over the old map at a larger scale. In the end, the new version will look very similar to the old one, only with more details and smaller changes if I feel like it is needed. Many buildings will be carried over from the old 2015 map. I also add some more details like trees and better elevation, instead of just cliffs.
  • Digweg likes this

David_Loco
  • David_Loco

Player Hater

• Members
  • Chile

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:13 PM Edited by David_Loco, 16 October 2017 - 03:23 AM.

GHIAB

Edit 3:

-Changed the colors of the map to a brighter ones

-Added Buildings to the Principal Area of Philippa

-Added Buildings into the roundabout in Philippa

-Added Mount Ikay (Mountain)

-Added Blessed Oak (City), in the north of Ñuñopolis

-Added Little Clover (City), in the northeast of Ñuñopolis

-Added Principal Highway to Ñuñopolis City

Names:

00iBDUL.png

Now:

SPeMCjf.png

Before:

HhhMUOe.png

I think that soon i should made a "remastered" version, because of the image (i guess) is 800x600 and maybe in other devices the image doesn't look so good...

• killdrivetheftvehicle, LibertyKing, The_Anti-tragedy and 11 others like this

Cebra
  • Cebra

I'm in the Christmas spirit. Vote for me.

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Canada

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:38 AM

Here's an update on my B&B map of San Fierro + Las Venturas + surrounding areas.
-image-

I've learned since jumping into mapmaking blind over two years ago that doing so is kind of - I don't know - stupid. I've restructured my map quite a bit in the last little while, and the major changes are as follows:

- Finished adding structures to Las Venturas, including McCarthy Airport (McCarran IA).
- Added Lake Monticello (Lake Berryessa) east of LV.
- Began working on Birchwood (Oakland) across the bridge from SF. I had originally intended for it to be southeast of it, but that didn't pan out.
- Mapped out Lincoln Pull (Boulder City) in the southeast corner of the map. Added a mini Lake Mead called Rum Lake.
- Added mountain ranges surrounding the major cities. 
- Sprinkled a few motels across the desert highway.

As usual, any suggestions are welcome. :)

Can you expand the southeastern city a little bit more to north and east?

Yeah, I don't see why not. I wouldn't want to make it too big since Boulder City in the 1960s was still rather compact and the map's focal points are more up north, but I could definitely extend it a bit above Rum Lake. I think I'm going to have to expand the canvas size anyway - considering I went into it without planning I'm now realizing that I should make the map boundaries clear. To the west and north it would be infinite water as has always been the case in GTA, but to the south and the east I would cap it off with endless desert and an unscaleable mountain range, respectively. It doesn't affect too much in the grand scheme of things, but I think it would be a welcome change to have a different kind of map barrier that still fits in with its surroundings.

Spoiler

@Cebra, Looks fantastic, something about it just makes it pop.

Thanks man. The one thing I believe I did do right initially was pick a consistent color scheme to run with. I tried to base it off old 1960s maps to fit the time period, and when the actual making of the map is over with I plan to add a semi-transparent overlay of a folded map to give it a real feel with faded colors and such. Hopefully it turns out. :)

• Ivan1997GTA, Ivankaracheev and Digweg like this

Zetkut
  • Zetkut

Novice Mapmaker

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:01 PM Edited by Zetkut, 16 October 2017 - 10:01 PM.

GHIAB

Edit 3:

Names:

Now:

Before:

I think that soon i should made a "remastered" version, because of the image (i guess) is 800x600 and maybe in other devices the image doesn't look so good...

i really like your map xD

• Ivankaracheev and David_Loco like this

David_Loco
  • David_Loco

Player Hater

• Members
  • Chile

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:05 PM

GHIAB

Edit 3:

Names:

Now:

Before:

i really like your map xD

Thanks xD :lol:  :beerhat:  :colgate:

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:13 PM Edited by LibertyKing, 19 October 2017 - 08:16 PM.

work in progress 2 - labeled edition

5kebpkL.png

image is zoomed in 200%. cliffs and other terrain features are subject to changes. #nocaps

Edit: Also I wanted to ask: Does the water look too green to anybody? When I look at the map on my phone, the water looks almost turquoise. My computer monitor sucks an can't display all colors properly.

• Kyle17, killdrivetheftvehicle, RedDagger and 12 others like this

Digweg
  • Digweg

Junior Cartographer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:35 PM Edited by Digweg, 19 October 2017 - 11:18 PM.

Spoiler

Edit: Also I wanted to ask: Does the water look too green to anybody? When I look at the map on my phone, the water looks almost turquoise. My computer monitor sucks an can't display all colors properly.

Wow looks great! Water is a tad bit green, but to be honest matches very well with the rest of the color scheme.

Edit: How to you make the text have two colors, like black and white?

Thanks!

• LibertyKing likes this

David_Loco
  • David_Loco

Player Hater

• Members
  • Chile

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:41 PM

work in progress 2 - labeled edition

5kebpkL.png

image is zoomed in 200%. cliffs and other terrain features are subject to changes. #nocaps

It looks awesome, i always liked the way you do the maps. :colgate:

keep up the good work. :)

• LibertyKing likes this

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:39 AM

Spoiler

Wow looks great! Water is a tad bit green, but to be honest matches very well with the rest of the color scheme.

Thanks!

I use a very old plugin for Paint.NET. I found it here. If you want to download it, go on the page and click on the link that says to download in zip, Once downloaded, extract the one called "Outline Object" on your desktop (Unless you want them all). Then, copy paste or move it to Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects. If you want to use it, you can find it in the Effects tap in the Object category.

I usually put the settings at 1 thickness and 251 softness.

• Digweg and Upickeddawronghausfool like this

Upickeddawronghausfool
  • Upickeddawronghausfool

Big Smoke is my dad

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:24 PM

Spoiler

Thanks!

I use a very old plugin for Paint.NET. I found it here. If you want to download it, go on the page and click on the link that says to download in zip, Once downloaded, extract the one called "Outline Object" on your desktop (Unless you want them all). Then, copy paste or move it to Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects. If you want to use it, you can find it in the Effects tap in the Object category.

Thank you for providing the link for the plugin, I think it's very cool!

• LibertyKing likes this

Digweg
  • Digweg

Junior Cartographer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:03 PM

Spoiler

Thanks!

Thank you so much! May I also ask how you get the font small and clear at the same time? I've been having trouble with that.

Thank you!

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:26 PM

It just the outline that makes it clear. Because my text is black and white, it makes it as contrasted as possible. Here is a comparison:

6mgYOsG.png

This is 6 pt text.

----------------------------------------

also, another work in progress update

J3sI9cb.png

left is old color scheme and right is new, along with some random progress i made yesterday night. not sure about the tree color though. but focus on the water. #StillNoCaps #irony #thisisnttwitter

• Kyle17, killdrivetheftvehicle, SweetToadette01 and 10 others like this

Digweg
  • Digweg

Junior Cartographer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:19 PM Edited by Digweg, 21 October 2017 - 10:53 PM.

Liberty City Update 4.5

Hello everyone! Here is a tad bit of  progress via buildings in my Liberty City map. I've been tinkering with buildings for a while, but finally found a style that I liked (inspired by Libertyking's). 

Hopefully you guys like it, I really love how they are turning out. Anyway there was no actual map additions, so here is labeled and un-labeled.

Un-Labeled

Spoiler

Labeled

Spoiler

I really like how this map is turning out, and I am constantly changing everything, so hopefully it will look nice when (if) I finally finish it.

Remember my SA map? Well that is coming along very well (yes I have been working on it as well), and my next post will probably be that!

Please feel free to leave and questions, comments, concerns, or anything of the type.

Thank you!

EDIT: I hate how Star Junction looks, so I may change it....

• LibertyKing, The_Anti-tragedy, SweetToadette01 and 9 others like this

Upickeddawronghausfool
  • Upickeddawronghausfool

Big Smoke is my dad

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:44 PM Edited by Upickeddawronghausfool, 24 October 2017 - 03:37 PM.

Liberty City Update 4.5

Hello everyone! Here is a tad bit of  progress via buildings in my Liberty City map. I've been tinkering with buildings for a while, but finally found a style that I liked (inspired by Libertyking's). 

Hopefully you guys like it, I really love how they are turning out. Anyway there was no actual map additions, so here is labeled and un-labeled.

Un-Labeled

Spoiler

Labeled

Spoiler

I really like how this map is turning out, and I am constantly changing everything, so hopefully it will look nice when (if) I finally finish it.

Remember my SA map? Well that is coming along very well (yes I have been working on it as well), and my next post will probably be that!

Please feel free to leave and questions, comments, concerns, or anything of the type.

Thank you!

Great map!

P.S. The Nice Map Concept may be over as I accidentally deleted it from file explorer :(

• Digweg likes this

David_Loco
  • David_Loco

Player Hater

• Members
  • Chile

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:54 AM Edited by David_Loco, 24 October 2017 - 01:57 AM.

Liberty City Update 4.5

Un-Labeled

Spoiler

Labeled

Spoiler

Thank you!

Looks amazing! :)

Ps: What is the size of your image (in px.), is to give me an idea of how big should i make the size of my future maps :D

• Digweg likes this

Digweg
  • Digweg

Junior Cartographer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:37 PM Edited by Digweg, 24 October 2017 - 11:25 PM.

@David_Loco Thank you! My full map is 600X5500, but that is including a lot of empty space. I'd start at 4,000X4,000, and work your way up if you need to.

@Upickeddawronghausfool: Thank you! Sorry about your map, but it allows for a fresh new start. Did you check the Trash Can. Sometimes deleted stuff goes in there first...

@Libertyking: Your map looks great! I really like the new water.

It'll probably be a while till my next map post. Cartography is really hard, and time is short.

Thanks!

• Upickeddawronghausfool likes this

lolznc
  • lolznc

not of Themyscira

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:06 AM Edited by lolznc, 25 October 2017 - 11:14 AM.

LJHtUB3.png

Full size version HERE.

Here's my pet project Benedinta, now featuring a virtually-complete-save-for-a-few-tweaks-and-additions Trimont, plus a few nearby towns and the island's main airport. I'm 70% sure I've messed up the scale but ehhhhhh. I'll probably cut up some of the bigger buildings so they're not so big at some point. Mountain ridge lines are not final, they're just there as visual aids to help imagine the 3D layout. The weird green squares are supposed to be fields.

Y'all out there are making super great maps, keep it up folks.

• killdrivetheftvehicle, LibertyKing, RedDagger and 17 others like this

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:07 PM

@lolznc: I'm sorry but this is too good you gotta step it down a little bit.
  • ClaudX, Carmain and lolznc like this

Ivankaracheev
  • Ivankaracheev

Mapmaking Novice

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:26 PM Edited by Ivankaracheev, 25 October 2017 - 07:28 PM.

LJHtUB3.png

Full size version HERE.

Here's my pet project Benedinta, now featuring a virtually-complete-save-for-a-few-tweaks-and-additions Trimont, plus a few nearby towns and the island's main airport. I'm 70% sure I've messed up the scale but ehhhhhh. I'll probably cut up some of the bigger buildings so they're not so big at some point. Mountain ridge lines are not final, they're just there as visual aids to help imagine the 3D layout. The weird green squares are supposed to be fields.

Y'all out there are making super great maps, keep it up folks.

Nice draw.

Digweg
  • Digweg

Junior Cartographer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:19 PM

@lolznc Holy cow! Looks really good, and almost professional. May I ask what program you use?

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:50 PM

whoops, new work in progress update.

byQR6zp.png

a lot of progress has been done, mostly in detailing algonquin. i also started laying out the roads in broker. i haven't got around to changing the terrain elevation yet.

--------

I have decided that this map will only comprise of the Liberty City Metropolitan Area, instead of the entire state of Liberty and Alderney. All the progress I had done in the previous version of the map will remain, but I won't include new areas to the map.

To better make up what I'm trying to explain here is

Liberty City Metropolitan Area - Update 10

ENHX6Bx.png

9wLQr94.png

So this will be the last update with the small version of the map. All the changes between this update and the last were made before I began the larger version of it. On the labeled map, I have made a draft of the edges of what I intend to do with this map. The blue areas represent removed land. I hope this makes it easier to actually finish and easier for my computer to render.Also, the labeled version of the map may also be divided in boroughs and region in the future instead of being all together on one image.

As for changes, I have made some progress on Staunton Island, detailed a part of Northern Dukes and added some more roads in Bohan.

As always, I hope you like the progress and the decisions I made! Thanks for reading!

• Kyle17, killdrivetheftvehicle, The_Anti-tragedy and 17 others like this

lolznc
  • lolznc

not of Themyscira

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:58 PM

@lolznc: I'm sorry but this is too good you gotta step it down a little bit.

High praise indeed! No can do friendo, but your place as one of the thread pros is quite safe :)

Spoiler

ADDITIONAL: Holy smokes great stuff as ever. I'm liking the Met. area only plan, basically a sexier version of GTA IV's map.

@lolznc Holy cow! Looks really good, and almost professional. May I ask what program you use?

Thanks! I'm other one of the Paint.net users

• LibertyKing and Digweg like this

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users