GTA Mapmaking

4,460 replies to this topic
DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

This is what I got right now. There won't be many updates anytime soon as it is going to take a long time.

Spoiler

To keep the NOICE train going, NOICE!

• SweetToadette01, Ivan1997GTA, JackDA and 2 others like this

DidSomebodySayYouga
  • DidSomebodySayYouga

Bravado: Thanks for the bailout America

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:09 AM Edited by Niko-las RUS, 18 March 2017 - 05:20 AM.

How about tropic-teme map?

Egdamo Islands WIP:

0_1eb565_d4662dfe_XXXL.jpg

• papa boyy, Ivan1997GTA, CRAZY AL WARD and 6 others like this

CRAZY AL WARD
  • CRAZY AL WARD

#YouAreTheLiquor

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

Quick question regarding mapmaking...

is this topic Only restricted to world maps, or are we allowed to make Interior Maps as well?

I'M asking because i might make some Savehouse maps/blueprints if it's ok.

• Roger Cheeto, DidSomebodySayYouga, _0YELK0_ and 1 other like this

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:26 PM

Interior maps are perfectly fine, yes, in fact it'd be quite interesting to see some of those :)
  • ivarblaauw, Ivan1997GTA, CRAZY AL WARD and 4 others like this

OdysseyTheWarrior
  • OdysseyTheWarrior

Player Hater

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:14 PM Edited by GroveDude, 24 March 2017 - 12:59 AM.

I hope you guys like it! Please tell me anything that I could improve or give me some suggestions for future projects...

p59egdm.png

• LibertyKing, The_Anti-tragedy, SweetToadette01 and 13 others like this

CRAZY AL WARD
  • CRAZY AL WARD

#YouAreTheLiquor

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:16 PM

My First Interior map for a Savehouse i made a Long Time Ago...

7dW2SQX.jpg

Blueprints are of 14 Rue Romero-Mort, Aubin, Parliament City. Enjoy

• RedDagger, ten-a-penny, Carmain and 9 others like this

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

ILL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL

• The Yardies
  • None
  • 2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:06 AM

So close to completion i can almost taste it:

Capital_City_V5.png
  • Mister Pink, killdrivetheftvehicle, papa boyy and 21 others like this

DimitriFaustin
  • DimitriFaustin

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:36 PM

Anywhere City HD Concept: The Mass Transit Update Part I
I've broken ground on the subway system and have already finished up the monorail system, and here's a nice fresh look at them.
The monorail system serves the airport with key Zaibatsu territory in the East Anywhere City District (which is probably why, as an in-universe explanation, the monorail 
was so controversial to begin with) and as a result, I wouldn't expect the elevated train system to have much area to work with in this part of town.
I plan to have multiple subway lines to serve each district. This is actually the first time I've drawn maps with a subway system, so I really could use some suggestions
as to how I should implement this subway system.
Here's my first draft of the subway system (again, I'll be doing Downtown first)
BNfK8er.png
And here's the monorail system and a complimentary station map.
aF7PpPz.png

eX2Jwdp.png
  • killdrivetheftvehicle, The_Anti-tragedy, Carmain and 5 others like this

UrbanAdventuring
  • UrbanAdventuring

Map Maker

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:00 PM Edited by UrbanAdventuring, 22 March 2017 - 02:17 AM.

I think Los Santos in GTA V is a little small and needs to feature more of Southern California, like Orange County, the Inland Empire, and the San Fernando Valley.  I'm starting on a new map to try to fix this.  I am basing it off the real terrain of the Los Angeles area, but the scale will be smaller.  I will also try to fit as many parts of GTA V's Los Santos map as I see fit.

This is what the base terrain looks like so far.

yVV2Srd.jpg

Update

X27GtcG.jpg

• killdrivetheftvehicle, LibertyKing, RedDagger and 14 others like this

killdrivetheftvehicle
  • killdrivetheftvehicle

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:27 PM

@GroveDude: the plan is clear. Now it would be the time to start making the actual map, which in my mind include roads and terrain. You might want to scale it down a little? I take it that you're a beginner, so starting small is something you should consider. Just saying. Even I started small considering how big my maps currently are. Not saying that big is wrong. It's just more rewarding, when you actually finish what you've started.

• DimitriFaustin and Natasha like this

Great Britain
  • Great Britain

★ ✯ ♔ ✯ ★

• Facade
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:47 AM Edited by Great Britain, 23 March 2017 - 10:49 AM.

Spoiler

Ingenious!

• ten-a-penny, Ivan1997GTA, DaniLekBom and 3 others like this

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:02 PM

....But I am a man of my word....

That is absolutely awesome! You must have an amazing sense of achievement after a year of work. Top stuff!
  • Ivan1997GTA and DaniLekBom like this

DaniLekBom
  • DaniLekBom

Brazilian Mapmaker

• Members
  • Brazil
  • Best Fan-Made Map 2016 [GTA San Andreas 2016]

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:19 PM

Spoiler

Ingenious!

....But I am a man of my word....

That is absolutely awesome! You must have an amazing sense of achievement after a year of work. Top stuff!

Thanks Natasha and Great Britain! <3

• Ivan1997GTA and Natasha like this

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

Three stars

• Facade
  • European-Union

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:51 AM Edited by (Ambient), 25 March 2017 - 10:52 AM.

Luther County, Capital - Update #21

HCSzYv5.png
Click on the image above to see a full-scale version.

Doing Renton (no in-GTA name yet).
  • Kyle17, RedDagger, The_Anti-tragedy and 11 others like this

UrbanAdventuring
  • UrbanAdventuring

Map Maker

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:19 PM Edited by UrbanAdventuring, 26 March 2017 - 07:46 PM.

I messed up and forgot to save my master GIMP XCF file before closing.  I had added some new mountains and lost them due to this mistake.  I had also been testing some new mountain making techniques and thought they worked better than my old method.  The end result?  I decided to totally redo the mountains in my Los Santos map.  This is what the terrain looks like now.

0fPLBiq.jpg

This overlay will be used as a rough guide for where to place roads and landmarks.

F2iN5Ps.jpg

• killdrivetheftvehicle, LibertyKing, The_Anti-tragedy and 18 others like this

UrbanAdventuring
  • UrbanAdventuring

Map Maker

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:47 PM Edited by UrbanAdventuring, 27 March 2017 - 09:49 PM.

Most of the major roads have been placed.  The map will be 1:10 scale of the real Los Angeles.   Yellow lines are freeways, red lines are 4-lane avenues, and maroon lines (not many yet) will be 2-lane roads

vG8nMFp.png

• killdrivetheftvehicle, LibertyKing, The_Anti-tragedy and 16 others like this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:49 PM

Not much progress. I think I should wait so there's lots of things to show next time. Oh well...

xi9UwyY.png

Just started working on Algonquin. I just posted because I think the scale between Clover and Algonquin is quite screwed up and I need opinions before I make more stuff. The only major differences will be the abandoned railroad stunt jump will be turned into a park (like NY's) and an aircraft carrier based on the Intrepid replacing the tunnel's maintanence thingy (that I didn't add yet).

• LibertyKing, SweetToadette01, Carmain and 5 others like this

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:54 PM

I messed up and forgot to save my master GIMP XCF file before closing.  I had added some new mountains and lost them due to this mistake.  I had also been testing some new mountain making techniques and thought they worked better than my old method.  The end result?  I decided to totally redo the mountains in my Los Santos map.  This is what the terrain looks like now.

Spoiler

This overlay will be used as a rough guide for where to place roads and landmarks.
Spoiler

I'm loving the realism in this one. Credit to you :^:
  • UrbanAdventuring likes this

UrbanAdventuring
  • UrbanAdventuring

Map Maker

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:28 AM Edited by UrbanAdventuring, 02 April 2017 - 03:28 AM.

Thanks.

I'm trying to name neighborhoods, but I've run out of ideas from GTASA and GTAV.  Suggestions are welcome.  I have one idea to name some neighborhoods after famous people from that area.  Like Tarantino for Torrance or Costner for Lynwood - maybe something a little less obvious.  I settled for "Tarrant" for Torrance instead.  I am also looking at streets, landmarks, and natural bodies within the cities for ideas.

oeLIkvV.jpg

• killdrivetheftvehicle, LibertyKing, The_Anti-tragedy and 10 others like this

Roger Cheeto
  • Roger Cheeto

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:39 AM Edited by Rodger Cheeto, 02 April 2017 - 10:08 AM.

Thanks.

I'm trying to name neighborhoods, but I've run out of ideas from GTASA and GTAV.  Suggestions are welcome.  I have one idea to name some neighborhoods after famous people from that area.  Like Tarantino for Torrance or Costner for Lynwood - maybe something a little less obvious.  I settled for "Tarrant" for Torrance instead.  I am also looking at streets, landmarks, and natural bodies within the cities for ideas.

Playa Del Ray = Playa Del Sol

Marina Del Ray = Marina Del Sol

Long Beach = Playa del Seville

Lakewood = Creekwood or Riverwood

Commerce = Commerce

Montecito Heights = Low Peak Heights, Rolling Peak, Rolling Peak Heights

Monterey Park = Garvey Park or Repetto Park

Paramount (right of compton) = Superior, Los Alamitos or Los Cerritos or even Richards Majestic (or just Richards) but that doesn't really make sense.

Cerritos = Rancho

Downey = Carpenter

Topanga State Park = Tongva Valley or state park

Fashion District = Textile City

Arts District = La Mesa, Crafts, Crafts District, Mental Asylum or just Arts District I don't think that would need a change.

You could probably get away with using a few real names, like R* did with Pershing Square in GTASA and Mission Row in V.

If you plan on naming an area off Anaheim just name it Analheim, I mean there's a neighborhood in GTAV called Morningwood. But if you want to be more serious name it Annaheim or something, I can't really think of another. Annaheim is actually what it was supposed to originally be named. You could use one of the mayors for naming. Or you can base it off whatever Santa Ana is, like Anaheim is.

Volts is clever but in San Andreas Jefferson is actually Watts. I dunno if you would like Jefferson better.

Also I think Japantown should still be Chinatown like in LA. Also, maybe you could make that little area to the left of Japantown Alta.

• UrbanAdventuring, Ivan1997GTA, LincolnClay and 1 other like this

UrbanAdventuring
  • UrbanAdventuring

Map Maker

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:54 PM

Thanks.

Playa Del Ray = Playa Del Sol

Marina Del Ray = Marina Del Sol

Long Beach = Playa del Seville

Lakewood = Creekwood or Riverwood

Commerce = Commerce

Montecito Heights = Low Peak Heights, Rolling Peak, Rolling Peak Heights

Monterey Park = Garvey Park or Repetto Park

Paramount (right of compton) = Superior, Los Alamitos or Los Cerritos or even Richards Majestic (or just Richards) but that doesn't really make sense.

Cerritos = Rancho

Downey = Carpenter

Topanga State Park = Tongva Valley or state park

Fashion District = Textile City

Arts District = La Mesa, Crafts, Crafts District, Mental Asylum or just Arts District I don't think that would need a change.

You could probably get away with using a few real names, like R* did with Pershing Square in GTASA and Mission Row in V.

If you plan on naming an area off Anaheim just name it Analheim, I mean there's a neighborhood in GTAV called Morningwood. But if you want to be more serious name it Annaheim or something, I can't really think of another. Annaheim is actually what it was supposed to originally be named. You could use one of the mayors for naming. Or you can base it off whatever Santa Ana is, like Anaheim is.

Volts is clever but in San Andreas Jefferson is actually Watts. I dunno if you would like Jefferson better.

Also I think Japantown should still be Chinatown like in LA. Also, maybe you could make that little area to the left of Japantown Alta.

Thanks for those names.   Japantown is supposed to be like Little Tokyo.  Little Shanghai is supposed to be like Chinatown.  I had some ideas for Anaheim.  One was to name it after something Disneyland related without being too obvious.  Walton (Walt's town) was one idea I had.

• Roger Cheeto and Ivan1997GTA like this

UrbanAdventuring
  • UrbanAdventuring

Map Maker

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:49 AM

Some more neighborhoods are named.

52FmPHM.png

• killdrivetheftvehicle, LibertyKing, RedDagger and 8 others like this

UrbanAdventuring
  • UrbanAdventuring

Map Maker

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:52 AM

I am not sure about Long Beach's representative.  Other names I am considering are

Reina Maria Beach (or Playa De Raina Maria)

Queen Mary Beach

South Beach (East Beach was kind of Long Beach in GTASA, but it doesn't make sense with this more realistic geography)

Playa Del Seville

Star Beach or Playa De Estrellas

Roger Cheeto
  • Roger Cheeto

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:14 AM Edited by Rodger Cheeto, 04 April 2017 - 05:15 AM.

I am not sure about Long Beach's representative.  Other names I am considering are

Reina Maria Beach (or Playa De Raina Maria)

Queen Mary Beach

South Beach (East Beach was kind of Long Beach in GTASA, but it doesn't make sense with this more realistic geography)

Playa Del Seville

Star Beach or Playa De Estrellas

Playa Del Seville, it was long beach in SA.

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

ILL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL

• The Yardies
  • None
  • 2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:02 PM Edited by The Deadite, 04 April 2017 - 08:04 PM.

Been working on my map and the layout and neighborhoods are already decided, just need to add landmarks, rework some buildings and areas and i'm done with this map:

57og2P4.png

Too lazy to list all the original neighborhoods so here's the real sh*t for reference.

Subway Map:

UFgXv6q.png

And the crime map:

M5VmfGO.png

This map is related to one of the protags of my concept, you can either choose to clean the city or be corrupt and make a profit to Capital City's expense.

This is a WIP and is still open to change, i'll see if i'll add streets names.
  • killdrivetheftvehicle, universetwisters, Kalvin and 23 others like this

Daitojo97
  • Daitojo97

Thug

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Total Overhaul 2016 [Shine o' Vice] [Contribution]

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:07 PM

This map is pretty f*cking nice!

Well done man! :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:

• The Deadite, LincolnClay and DimitriFaustin like this

lolznc
  • lolznc

meh

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:41 PM Edited by lolznc, 04 April 2017 - 08:45 PM.

@ Deadite - That's one hell of a beautiful map. Or several maps. They're all beautiful.

Mapping the Massachusetts Commonwealth #2

ufiMy7j.png

Quite a bit of progress from last time. Most of Fallout 4's base game map has been done at this point. The Glowing Sea area is taking a bit longer, since there's very little remaining infrastructure to base road layout around.

Here's a link to the full size version with town labels.

EDIT: Just realised that I've uploaded a version with the beach layer above the land layer. No clue when that happened, but I can't be bothered to fix it right now so you'll just have to bear in mind the beaches should look tidier than they seem here

• LibertyKing, RedDagger, The_Anti-tragedy and 12 others like this

DimitriFaustin
  • DimitriFaustin

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:34 AM

To The Deadite, lolznc and UrbanAdventuring, you all have some seriously awesome maps and I'd love to see what you got next!

Anyways,

Anywhere City HD Concept: The Mass Transit Update Part II

It's been a busy couple of weeks for me as well, part busy with work, household chores, etc. (please keep in mind I only update this map series in my spare time) and part figuring out where things

ought to go on my maps. I originally planned out a whole cluster of subway stations but it became insurmountable. I must admit it was right after viewing The Deadite's Capital City maps that I finally

had the "light bulb on top of my head" moment regarding where and how many subway stations should be placed. As a nice little bonus, here's the subway lines and stations of the Industrial District

as well as the Downtown District. The subway lines are in orange and the little red squares indicate subway stations. Once everything's been mapped out, each subway line will be coloured a respective

colour to distinguish between lines. Once again, I appreciate all feedback.

http://i.imgur.com/k7eIHZ2.png

• RedDagger, The_Anti-tragedy, The Deadite and 3 others like this

killdrivetheftvehicle
  • killdrivetheftvehicle

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:33 AM

@Deadite: Best map ever! Nobody has had as much detail and still keeping it GTA as this map of yours. GTA map of the year 2017!!!

• The Deadite likes this

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:07 AM

Been working on my map and the layout and neighborhoods are already decided, just need to add landmarks, rework some buildings and areas and i'm done with this map

This looks amazing. You should do a relief version too (greyscale) because someone could potentially make that into something you could import to game ;)
  • The Deadite likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users