Photo

Can I have two installations of GTA IV?

16 replies to this topic
Tizmo
  • Tizmo

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:00 PM

Well, the title really is my question. What I would be wanting to do is to have one installation for 1.0.4.0 which would be modded and meant for singleplayer. The other installation would be for 1.0.6.0. which would be meant for multiplayer. Is this possible?

stevvie
  • stevvie

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:52 PM

YES, I used to do this for GTAiv One with all the tweaks for offline play and the other plain for online play.
All I did was to install it then apply the patches, and apply the tweaks, then rename the folder to GTAivOFFLINE.
Then reinstall it and apply the patches. I had to manually rename the folders each time but I had 2 instances on the HD at once.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:47 AM

A better way

* install the game and update it to the version you consider works the best for you
* now *copy* the installation folder and rename it to something else, like GTAIV-offline
* here you can apply mods and whatnot in the GTAIV-offline folder
* at this point you can update the original GTAIV with the latest patch (if you already haven't done so) so that you can play online

Tizmo
  • Tizmo

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Apr 22 2010, 05:47)
A better way

* install the game and update it to the version you consider works the best for you
* now *copy* the installation folder and rename it to something else, like GTAIV-offline
* at this point you can update the original GTAIV with the latest patch (if you already haven't done so) so that you can play online

Alright, cheers mate. I will try this right now.

Lodis
  • Lodis

Thug

• Members

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:46 PM Edited by Lodis, 22 April 2010 - 11:55 PM.

If you keep GTA IV installations of different patch versions, for example one patched to version 1.0.04 and the other version 6. Each time you play you will have to change the graphical settings because each install will use its equivalent settings i.e if you have patch 1.0.04 set to a certain rendering level, patch 6 might see the equivalent as AF x4 but you might want AF set to 6 or 8 so will have to change it each time. Also some patch versions, if run along side each other will cause crashes or loss of settings but this is only in older ones. All of these minor issues can be solved by either changing settings before playing each different version or using a batchfile to copy over specific settings each time as part of a shortcut that runs the game afterward.

Tizmo
  • Tizmo

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:02 AM

QUOTE (Lodis @ Apr 22 2010, 23:46)
If you keep GTA IV installations of different patch versions, for example one patched to version 1.0.04 and the other version 6. Each time you play you will have to change the graphical settings because each install will use its equivalent settings i.e if you have patch 1.0.04 set to a certain rendering level, patch 6 might see the equivalent as AF x4 but you might want AF set to 6 or 8 so will have to change it each time. Also some patch versions, if run along side each other will cause crashes or loss of settings but this is only in older ones. All of these minor issues can be solved by either changing settings before playing each different version or using a batchfile to copy over specific settings each time as part of a shortcut that runs the game afterward.

Cheers for the information mate. It's not a problem for me to change settings before I play.

LCstuntman
  • LCstuntman

It's a wonderful horrible life.

• Members

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:40 AM

sorry for the bump, but I didn't want to start a whole new topic.

I Installed GTA IV to C:/Program files x86/RS Games, then installed patch 4. I copied everything over from there to C:/Program Files x86/Rockstar Games, then updated the one that is in /RS GAMES to 1.0.7.0.

So now I have two installs:

C:/Program files x86/RS Games -> 1.0.7.0. with NO MODS (for online ofc)

C:/Program Files x86/Rockstar Games -> 1.0.4.0. with Some Car mods and VisualIV 1.4. Havent installed a trainer or anything yet cause I wanted to test it.

HOWEVER, when I click the "LAUNCHGTAIV.exe" thats in MODDED 1.0.4.0. directory (/rockstargames), It opens the little social club thing,

user posted image

I click play, and it opens up the UNMODDED 1.0.7.0. game.

I know I dont have them switched because when I open the LAUNCHGTAIV.exe from the unmodded directory, it opens the unmodded one as well.

What the f*ck?

Can someone help me?

thanks

Lodis
  • Lodis

Thug

• Members

Posted 25 November 2010 - 03:08 AM

The latest patch removed the old Rockstar Social Club component towards the end of the install.

My theory is, due to that, it attempts to run the new one so only allowing you to run the latest. Try to reinstall the old Rockstar social club component. Once you have done this, it should use that one when you launch the older patch and the new one with the newly patched.

Since I no longer have any installs patched previous to 1.070, I don't remember where it is located. What you could do is a repair install but that could be problematic since you have the default install directory with an older patch instead of a newer one.

I would have kept the default install location with the latest patch and a non default installation with the Modded older patch version.

LCstuntman
  • LCstuntman

• Members

Posted 25 November 2010 - 03:24 AM Edited by LCstuntman, 25 November 2010 - 03:50 AM.

Thanks for the reply biggrin.gif

After I posted this and before I saw your reply I actually reinstalled the old Social Club starter thing using the 1st gta4 disc. When I launched it and clicked the PLAY button it just opened up the new Social Club thing, which of course doesnt help at all.

However I read your post and then tried to start the game just by double clicking the LAUNCHGTAIV.exe and the 1.0.4.0. game launched, but crashed on the GTA IV logo. I tried again and it crashed on the text. Since I got this far I think it could be because of the mods, since I never tried VisualIV on 1.0.4.0., only 1.0.0.4. So I'm gonna recopy&paste everything and try again.

Thanks a lot for the post

ninja edit: oh yeah and I forgot to say that the resolution is messed up, but I read your old post about that so I dont think thats a problem

lateass edit: Forgot to say that when I launch via LAUNCHGTAIV.exe it completely skips any socialclub stuff and just launches the game

aftertesting edit: Nope, still crashes.....

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Nahiyan
  • Nahiyan

I'm awesome, and I'm a scripter

• Members

Posted 25 November 2010 - 04:03 AM

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=388658

LCstuntman
  • LCstuntman

• Members

Posted 25 November 2010 - 05:49 AM Edited by LCstuntman, 25 November 2010 - 06:32 AM.

I copied the xlive.dll into the main folder but no dice, still crashes.

Ill try 1.0.0.4.

EDIT: Damn... I put the 1.0.0.4. files in, put the xlive.dll in, and it worked wow.gif

I LOVE YOU biggrin.gif

HollywoodPlaya
  • HollywoodPlaya

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:47 AM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Apr 22 2010, 05:47)
A better way

can you give a more clear step by step way to have one gta directory for mods and one for multiplayer? smile.gif

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • None
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:09 AM

Just install the game normally and copy the folder, that's it.

HollywoodPlaya
  • HollywoodPlaya

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:43 AM Edited by HollywoodPlaya, 13 December 2010 - 06:24 AM.

QUOTE (uni @ Dec 13 2010, 02:09)

the problem is that when i apply the 1.0.4.0 patch to my modded it also applies to the regular version. Is there a way to apply it only on the modded version.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:28 AM

QUOTE (HollywoodPlaya @ Dec 13 2010, 04:43)

the problem is that when i apply the 1.0.4.0 patch to my modded it also applies to the regular version. Is there a way to apply it only on the modded version.

No, it does not. The patch applies only in one folder, and that's the original install folder. The patch can't possibly know where your modded folder is located.

HollywoodPlaya
  • HollywoodPlaya

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:29 AM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Dec 13 2010, 06:28)
QUOTE (HollywoodPlaya @ Dec 13 2010, 04:43)

No, it does not. The patch applies only in one folder, and that's the original install folder. The patch can't possibly know where your modded folder is located.

If you say so!

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:36 AM

No, it's not because I say so, but it's because the way the installer works.

When you install the game, it asks you to choose the installation folder. Once you do so and the installer finishes it's job, a registry entry with a specific name and a specific key will be created, pointing to the installation folder. If you copy that folder to something else, the system does NOT know about it. Once you start the patch installer, it will look at the registry key and if the key exists it will install all the files in the folder stated there. Some installer will also check for presence of original files, GTAIV updates (at least the first five) will not, they will get unpacked in the empty folder as well, as long as the registry key exists. It will even create the directory for you if one does not exist.

So, as you see, it's not because I say so.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users