» «
Photo

[WIP] Realistic Driving for EFLC

141 replies to this topic
Killatomate
  • Killatomate

Handling.dat Geek

• Members

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:08 PM Edited by Killatomate, 28 November 2010 - 10:25 PM.

Beta1 got outdated before it was even available for download. I have just uploaded Beta2. hopefully it gets approved in time... tounge.gif

Beta2 brings a few teeny weeny itsy-bitsy cosmetic changes wink.gif

changelog:

cars:
-Handbrakes reworked
-Banshee: slight suspension adjustment
-Buccaneer: less oversteer
-Contender: new handling
-Emperor: different oversteer
-Emperor2: different oversteer
-Faction: new brake bias
-Feroci: new handling
-Futo: front wheels no longer go through the hood
-Habanero: new handling, less oversteer
-Huntley: new center of mass, new handling
-Landstalker: more oversteer
-Manana: changed suspension and oversteer
-Perennial: less oversteer
-Pinnacle: suspension change
-Premier: slight suspension adjustment
-Pres: new tire properties and brakes
-Primo: less oversteer
-Rancher: suspension change
-Rebla: new center of mass
-Rhapsody: reworked handling, new brake bias
-Sultan: new handling
-Virgo: less oversteer

helicopters:
-Skylift: increased agility

smile.gif

HaakonXCI
  • HaakonXCI

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:48 PM

Been a while since I played this game. Just bought the episodes pack off Steam. I'm hoping that the 1.2 Beta2 pack gets approved so I can start playing smile.gif

Killatomate
  • Killatomate

Handling.dat Geek

• Members

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:26 AM

i have been driving about 3 hours with Beta 2 and couldnt find anything to improve. smile.gif

Beta 2 is great! it's better than 1.1 in every aspect. I have changed steering response of every car so that they are easier to control and have also tweaked oversteer behaviour so that cars are easier to keep from spinning out of control. Furthermore i have changed suspension of every single car to make it look heavier and more real. You can now see the effect of g-forces more clearly when turning. this was one of the reasons why some players preferred default handling over this mod. they liked the weak sponge suspension of the vanilla game more because you could see the g-forces.

Suspension became way too stiff in my latest releases. The reason for this is a change of speed scale which results in different g-forces. When i started this mod in feb 2009 i was in need of a speedometer to create a realistic handling. Acceleration, braking, traction, g-forces - none of that can be calculated without a speed scale. So after a few days i had finally found a working speedometer and based all my calculations of that speed scale. Version 1.02, 1.03, 1.04 and 1.05 were all based on that speed scale. some day someone complained about a few cars being too fast. the speeds he posted didnt match mine so the first thing i did was question my speedometer. i checked the speedometer's code and found that it mistook the game's speeds for mph (GTA4 uses metric units) and used some strange multiplicators to turn the (wrong) speed into kph. long story short, the speedo i had used for my calculations was 14% off. that's a lot. it meant that my calculations for g-force were 30% off. So i started using a proper speedo and with every release from 1.06 on i did slowly decrease the speed scale (and thus traction and g-forces) to a more realistic level. Back then the suspension was fine. in my latest releases the g-forces are reduced by almost 30%, making suspension seem 30% stiffer. And there is another fact that adds to suspension stiffness. I dont know why R* did this, but suspension is affected by frames per second. the more frames per second, the stiffer the suspension. i remember the postings and youtube videos back then, showing bouncing vehicles and other strange stuff. i did investigate this occurrence and found that all affected players played at less than 20 frames per second. it seemed that below 17 frames per second the shocks of certain vehicles stopped working, resulting in endless bouncing. biggrin.gif if you consider that people nowadays have more powerful hardware and play with significanly increased frames per second you will agree that suspension stiffness might be even more than 130% compared to earlier versions of this mod. I made many changes to suspension in the past. but only changes to single cars, not to cars in general. Since the change in traction and cornering was a slow progress (and not realized in a single update) there was never an obvious need for a suspension change. An adjustment of suspension in general was long overdue.

so that's the story on how suspension changed without me editing any suspension parameters.

so when i developed version 1.2, every change (steering response, changing oversteer behaviour by changing tire properties, reworking suspension stiffness and shocks) had to be applied to every single car separately. this meant changing more than 500 parameters and verifying every change ingame. Every time i waste more of my valuable time on this mod i feel stupid, but in the end it pays off. hopefully. in the end you are always smarter.

damn headache. i just had my first cup of coffee in 6 months and now i feel like i could fly. Makes me almost forget that head injury. i heard that morphine + coffeine works well together. seems they are right. biggrin.gif
I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away
havent heard that songs in a long time. damn, where did i put that mp3?

anyway, version 1.2 is a significant improvement over version 1.1 - there is barely anything left to improve. sure, there is always something to complain about. but there is nothing i can do about it, since R* has hardcoded all the important parameters. So the only way to create a good handling is COMPROMISE. Steering input and in air steer of cars is hardcoded. the only way to make cars drivable is to sacrifice realism. same for bikes. bike steering is hardcoded and wheelie/stoppie are coded in the worst way possible. furthermore bike handling is very limited by the stupid AI, many missions cannot be completed with realistic handling. Helicopter steering is hardcoded too and also very limited due to AI. Helicopter AI in GTA4 is so bad, pilots behave as if they were driving cars. any realistic handling (one that is not like driving a car) makes AI helicopters drop out of the sky, thus braking many helicopter missions. it was very hard to create a handling that feels realistic and works well with the stupid AI. How am i supposed to make a realistic handling with all these limitations??? It's all a compromise. Even the things that i CAN change are a compromise. There are players complaining about cars spinning out of control while others want more drifting. then there are players crying for more burnouts while keyboard players complain about wheelspin and demand decreased wheelspin. there are players who want to cruise at 40 kph and there are players who want their Veyron to go 400 kph. i cannot satisfy all players. but i can find a compromise that suits most players. thats what this mod is about. making as many players happy as possible.
Sure, one can create a handling that allows more realistic bike wheelies than my handling, but as a consequence all other aspects of bike handling will suck. there is always a way to beat this mod in a single aspect. But as a whole this mod is the best compromise. This mod has gone through 700 hours of development and i think after so much time i have finally figured out what's best wink.gif

nuff said.
i recommend you to download version 1.2 beta right away, it lacks documentation and some extras but the handling is great wont get any better. The beta version offers only 300% vehicle deformation (no option for 150%) and doesnt offer an option for default helicopters but i think you can live with that wink.gif

while writing this i had 7 cups of coffee. yummy
i think i am gonna get another cup of coffee. the pain and dizziness gone. it's so awesome!

Killatomate out. suicidal.gif

no no, officer. that wasnt me! coffee made me do this! cry.gif

hkboondoggle
  • hkboondoggle

Fail

• Members

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:42 AM

Well done Killatomate! Appreciate all your effort & time in this handling mod. Sadly that I can't try it out until the end of exam near Christmas. What a pity!

Have some cookie.gif with your coffee & take a rest will ya? Take very good care. icon14.gif

Neova
  • Neova

Snitch

• Members

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:24 PM

I'm trying to download 1.2 buts it not up on GTA Garage yet! Can you post a mirror link? Preferably on mediashare?

Killatomate
  • Killatomate

Handling.dat Geek

• Members

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:29 PM Edited by Killatomate, 03 December 2010 - 09:10 AM.

QUOTE (Neova @ Nov 30 2010, 18:24)
I'm trying to download 1.2 buts it not up on GTA Garage yet! Can you post a mirror link? Preferably on mediashare?

gtagarage doesnt allow external links. so the only ones who would benefit from this would be a few guys on the forum.

I have made a new vehicle guide. updating all stats for RD EFLC 1.2 and making the guide took 8 hours. brb.

i proudly present:
RD EFLC 1.2 "Getaway" Vehicle Guide

user posted image

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6

biggrin.gif

iOnlyEatCops
  • iOnlyEatCops

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:04 PM

I have a question. Your mod looks awesome and im dying to try it out since the steering in the game blows.

However will this work if I already have a mod? I have a vehicle mod thats only changes the skin. Just asking to be sure.
Also what file do I download so that this works for GTA IV, just the reguler and NOT for EFLC, or is this only for EFLC, I have EFLC but im playing the regular story mode right now?
Dont know which one to download. confused.gif

Realistic Driving n Flying 2.7
Realistic Driving n Flying 2.6
Realistic Driving n Flying 2.5
Custom Car Handling Pack v3
Realistic Driving n Flying 2.0
Realistic Driving 1.08 d
Realistic Driving 1.07
Realistic Driving 1.06
Realistic Driving 1.05'

Help? Intructions? tounge.gif Mod looks awesome.

Killatomate
  • Killatomate

Handling.dat Geek

• Members

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (iOnlyEatCops @ Dec 1 2010, 21:04)
will this work if I already have a mod? I have a vehicle mod thats only changes the skin.

Also what file do I download so that this works for GTA IV, just the reguler and NOT for EFLC

this mod doesnt work if you use different model files. should work with any textures.

All versions of this mod work with regular GTA IV, the "EFLC" version also supports EFLC DLC cars.
just wait for release of 1.2 beta wink.gif

iOnlyEatCops
  • iOnlyEatCops

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (Killatomate @ Dec 1 2010, 19:12)
QUOTE (iOnlyEatCops @ Dec 1 2010, 21:04)
will this work if I already have a mod? I have a vehicle mod thats only changes the skin.

Also what file do I download so that this works for GTA IV, just the reguler and NOT for EFLC

this mod doesnt work if you use different model files. should work with any textures.

All versions of this mod work with regular GTA IV, the "EFLC" version also supports EFLC DLC cars.
just wait for release of 1.2 beta wink.gif

Ill keep an eye out on this site untill it comes out then.

So this wont work if my cars already have a custom skin?

Pain_Deluxe
  • Pain_Deluxe

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:31 PM

Damn Gta Garage the is no dl link pls upload to rs or whatever

Killatomate
  • Killatomate

Handling.dat Geek

• Members

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:59 PM

i have added a download mirror to the Youtube video. incase file approval takes another 2 weeks...

sajem
  • sajem

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:36 PM

Greetings, I'm new to this site and am also new to mods. I've never installed one and was wondering if anyone could link an instructional video or clear instructions on how to install mods properly. Any help would be appreciated and remember, I'm a noob so the more simple the better. Thanks in advance!

iOnlyEatCops
  • iOnlyEatCops

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (sajem @ Dec 9 2010, 21:36)
Greetings, I'm new to this site and am also new to mods.  I've never installed one and was wondering if anyone could link an instructional video or clear instructions on how to install mods properly.  Any help would be appreciated and remember, I'm a noob so the more simple the better.  Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the site.
Most mods are simple to install. Its a matter of downloading the file. Unziping it, then dragging the folder that contains the mod file over the original GTAIV folder and overwriting it.
Other mods require you to use a program called SparkIV which lets you get into the files in a more detail matter. However most mods aren't like that.
Most mods also come with intructions from the person who made it so its just a matter of reading and following intructions.

Dont know if this is the right place to post this in but hope it helped.

OT: Im waiting for the 1.2 Beta to come out! tounge.gif Taking too long. notify.gif

Killatomate
  • Killatomate

Handling.dat Geek

• Members

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (iOnlyEatCops @ Dec 10 2010, 00:55)
Im waiting for the 1.2 Beta to come out! tounge.gif Taking too long. notify.gif

whats up with gtagarage? Version 1.2 Beta was uploaded 3 weeks ago and still hasnt been approved.
since 1.2 Beta was uploaded 1500 people have downloaded version 1.1.
That's 1500 people that could enjoy version 1.2 instead of 1.1
not even the images have been approved.

wtf is gtagarage doing?

iOnlyEatCops
  • iOnlyEatCops

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (Killatomate @ Dec 11 2010, 16:10)
QUOTE (iOnlyEatCops @ Dec 10 2010, 00:55)
Im waiting for the 1.2 Beta to come out! tounge.gif Taking too long.  notify.gif

whats up with gtagarage? Version 1.2 Beta was uploaded 3 weeks ago and still hasnt been approved.
since 1.2 Beta was uploaded 1500 people have downloaded version 1.1.
That's 1500 people that could enjoy version 1.2 instead of 1.1
not even the images have been approved.

wtf is gtagarage doing?

Maybe the Admins are taking a vacations? suicidal.gif
Im dying to use it! Been holding back on useing 1.1 since 1.2 was "out"
Any other way of uploading it without waiting? tounge.gif

Killatomate
  • Killatomate

Handling.dat Geek

• Members

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE (iOnlyEatCops @ Dec 11 2010, 18:46)
Any other way of uploading it without waiting? tounge.gif

there is a download link in the youtube video wink.gif

iOnlyEatCops
  • iOnlyEatCops

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE (Killatomate @ Dec 11 2010, 22:11)
QUOTE (iOnlyEatCops @ Dec 11 2010, 18:46)
Any other way of uploading it without waiting?  tounge.gif

there is a download link in the youtube video wink.gif

Ah, I see it, downloaded it.

I have a question, hope you dont mind.

Now I have a Crack Version of GTA IV running on 1.0.7.
Where do I place your mod however? I have ALL the DLC but in my GTAIV folder I dont have any folder named after the DLC.

I don't have a folder named TBoGT or TLAD but I do have the DLC.

So what folders do I copy over out of the 3 you provided and onto where for my situation? (common, tbogt, tlad)

Killatomate
  • Killatomate

Handling.dat Geek

• Members

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:23 AM

QUOTE (iOnlyEatCops @ Dec 12 2010, 03:09)
Where do I place your mod? I have ALL the DLC but in my GTAIV folder I dont have any folder named after the DLC.

in the readme file it says what to do when GFWL GTA4 DLC is installed

Captain828
  • Captain828

Kill Frenzyer

• Members

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:13 PM

Any estimate of when 1.2 final is coming?

Christmas gift for us perhaps? biggrin.gif

iOnlyEatCops
  • iOnlyEatCops

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (Captain828 @ Dec 14 2010, 18:13)
Any estimate of when 1.2 final is coming?

Christmas gift for us perhaps? biggrin.gif

Nope. Should have been out already on GTA Garage but the admins havent approved it yet.

BTW TO OP! I dont know if its me but there are a couple of cars (mostly vans) that when turning, they flip over.
Another thing i ran into was some cars can not drive without having the fires burning, as in, they leave the black marks behind and make that screaching noise as if your drifting.
Other cars have great handeling and turning. Any solution to this?

Killatomate
  • Killatomate

Handling.dat Geek

• Members

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:00 PM

final version is not done yet.
i am very disappointed atm because i havent got a single feedback on version 1.2 beta in 3 weeks.
wtf are you doing? the point of a beta release is to get feedback. did i get something wrong?

iOnlyEatCops
  • iOnlyEatCops

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (Killatomate @ Dec 15 2010, 19:00)
final version is not done yet.
i am very disappointed atm because i havent got a single feedback on version 1.2 beta in 3 weeks.
wtf are you doing? the point of a beta release is to get feedback. did i get something wrong?

^Read my post above yours dude.
I dont know if i installed it wrong or something but for some reason some vans cant turn without them fliping over.

While other cars cant drive straight or turn slightly without having he tire drag as if it was drifting.

I added the handling dat into Common/data because i dont have the AppData folder on my computer while i DO have the DLC.

So i dont know. sad.gif Took the 1.2 out because it was just unstable on some cars that i wanted to drive. Worked great on other cars however.

Killatomate
  • Killatomate

Handling.dat Geek

• Members

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE (iOnlyEatCops @ Dec 16 2010, 00:17)
I dont know if i installed it wrong or something but for some reason some vans cant turn without them fliping over.
While other cars cant drive straight or turn slightly without having he tire drag as if it was drifting.

i dont have any problems with flipping vehicles or wheelspin.
can you make a list of vehicles that flip over and also list of vehicles that have too much wheelspin on your computer?

Captain828
  • Captain828

Kill Frenzyer

• Members

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE (Killatomate @ Dec 15 2010, 19:00)

Give me a day or two and I'll return with some solid feedback on all the cars.

iOnlyEatCops
  • iOnlyEatCops

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:48 PM

BEST DRIVING MOD EVER

My bad on before, I had two Handeling Mods in my folder.
I cant say how happier I am with this game now that you can driving around without crashing into everything every 30 seconds.

I am seriously waiting on 1.2 and I dont understand why its taking over 2 weeks for it to get uploaded.
I think maybe one or two cars in the game fliped over when driving, forgot which. Ill get you back on which one.

Other then that, AMAZING mod, best one out of there.

Now im just waiting for the full 1.2 which is taking forever. mad.gif

Neova
  • Neova

Snitch

• Members

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:47 PM

Can you post a mirror on your youtube page for the final? It has been like forever waiting for GTAGarage to approve the download.

Killatomate
  • Killatomate

Handling.dat Geek

• Members

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:18 PM

i have uploaded version 1.2 final to more than just one host. i'll provide a link as soon as it's available.
see ya next year! biggrin.gif

ikt
  • ikt

*poof*

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:55 PM

Even more changes?

edit: nvm, wrong thread

iOnlyEatCops
  • iOnlyEatCops

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (Killatomate @ Dec 22 2010, 14:18)
i have uploaded version 1.2 final to more than just one host. i'll provide a link as soon as it's available.
see ya next year! biggrin.gif

Sweet! When will it be up? biggrin.gif

Killatomate
  • Killatomate

Handling.dat Geek

• Members

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:35 AM

Version 1.2 Final has been released!

Download

Merry christmas! tounge.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users