GTA IV Won't start.

23 replies to this topic
XTREME0235
  • XTREME0235

Aviation Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:47 PM

Okay, so recently i had to re-install my GTA IV for unknown reasons, and when i reinstalled my GTA IV, i updated to the latest patch [1.0.0.6]
Now, everything has installed properly so i presume, but now, because the new update allows you to not need to use the RGSC application to launch the game, every time i double click on 'LaunchGTAIV.exe' nothing happens. The game won't load or anything, it acts as though i haven't clicked anything.

Here is what my Grand Theft Auto IV folder looks like.
user posted image

If there is any solution to this problem that someone knows, could you please inform me, sorry if this is in the wrong section.
It has been the second time i have re-installed this since this error. Therefore i have had this problem two[2] times.

Thank you,
XTREME0235.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:29 PM

Try running gtaiv.exe first, then the launcher.

Carlos70
  • Carlos70

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:10 PM

well go to your control panel and add remove programs and see if you got these programs look at the red arrows i have drawn if one of these is missing thats the problem you have. as i had this also then i down loaded the windows live Redistributable and it fixed the problem user posted image

XTREME0235
  • XTREME0235

Aviation Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:48 AM

Thank you Carlos70 for the suggestion, i checked my programs and i do have GFWL and GFWL-Redistributable.
It might have something to do with me not having EFLC? mercie_blink.gif lol.gif
Idk, this is really annoying though....

XTREME0235
  • XTREME0235

Aviation Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:59 AM

UPDATE

I just tried a method that a user Carlos70 suggested, and that was to find out if i have GFWL & GFWL - Redistributable installed, i do.
Now, what i did was, i started up the program [GFWL] and logged in. Then i tried 'LaunchGTAIV.exe' and this time it was loading up, but then i got a 'GTA IV Fatal Error WS10' error message and then GTA IV Still did not launch.

So it seems we're getting closer to the problem, but not quite yet cracking the egg. sad.gif

XTREME0235
  • XTREME0235

Aviation Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:44 AM Edited by XTREME0235, 27 April 2010 - 12:00 PM.

Bump.
Okay guys, it's been a while and in the meantime i have been playing EFLC, but then that stopped working and started crashing as soon as i walked out of the safe house.
Now i re-installed GTA IV and i'm still having the same problem, i see my mouse cursor change into the spinning disc cursor, then the LaunchGTAIV.exe [cmd.exe] window opens, then disappears and then.......NOTHING!

I tried a solution that mkey82 suggested and that was to make sure my Microsoft .NET Framework was installed properly, now i tried re-installing it, and towards the end, i get this error message: user posted image

Keep in mind it says SP1, but i have Win XP SP3.
I do not know what is going on, this is my Microsoft .NET Framework programs list:
user posted image

If anyone can reply, that would be helpful.
My PC info:
Graphic's card = NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
Processor: Pentium ® Dual-Core CPU E6300 @2.80GHz
RAM: 2GB
HDD Size: 178GB

Thanks,
XTREME0235.

zBobG
  • zBobG

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:49 PM

You need to uninstall then reinstall dotnet 3.5 and the dotnet 3.5 SP1.

The SP1 refers to the dotnet version, not to your XP (or Vista) version.

VERY IMPORTANT! -> Make a Restore Point before making any changes to your software.

1. Uninstall dotnet 3.5 using the Control Panel "Add and Remove Programs".

2. Download and install MS MSI CleanUp Utility.

3. Run the MSI Cleanup Utility, in the list remove any remaining references to dotnet 3.5 and dotnet 3.5 SP1. If you find no remaining references then you're done, you do this in case the installer failed to remove all references.

4. Download and install dotnet 3.5 and dotnet 3.5 SP1.

-> dotnet 3.5 web setup from MS
-> Scroll down that page if you prefer to download the full redistributable dotnet installer. It can take quite a long time to install via the web installer. Instead you could download the redistributable overnight when you're not otherwise using your computer.

5. Check to be sure you have installed the dotnet 3.5 SP1. The web setup should automatically install the SP1, the redistributable may not. As a precaution, after you have successfully installed dotnet you can go to the official Windows Update website and have Windows manually check if you need any further updates to dotnet.

XTREME0235
  • XTREME0235

Aviation Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:16 PM Edited by XTREME0235, 27 April 2010 - 09:59 PM.

QUOTE (zBobG @ Apr 27 2010, 19:49)
You need to uninstall then reinstall dotnet 3.5 and the dotnet 3.5 SP1.

The SP1 refers to the dotnet version, not to your XP (or Vista) version.

VERY IMPORTANT! -> Make a Restore Point before making any changes to your software.

1. Uninstall dotnet 3.5 using the Control Panel "Add and Remove Programs".

2. Download and install MS MSI CleanUp Utility.

3. Run the MSI Cleanup Utility, in the list remove any remaining references to dotnet 3.5 and dotnet 3.5 SP1. If you find no remaining references then you're done, you do this in case the installer failed to remove all references.

4. Download and install dotnet 3.5 and dotnet 3.5 SP1.

-> dotnet 3.5 web setup from MS
-> Scroll down that page if you prefer to download the full redistributable dotnet installer. It can take quite a long time to install via the web installer. Instead you could download the redistributable overnight when you're not otherwise using your computer.

5. Check to be sure you have installed the dotnet 3.5 SP1. The web setup should automatically install the SP1, the redistributable may not. As a precaution, after you have successfully installed dotnet you can go to the official Windows Update website and have Windows manually check if you need any further updates to dotnet.

Well all i have are
* .NET Framework 2.0 SP2
* .NET Framework 3.0 SP2
and
* .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

But not .NET 3.5.

|EDIT|: @ zBobG, I have done what you have instructed and now GTA IV actually starts, loading screen and all, but it stays black after that. So it seems we are getting closer to my problem, and thank you for those instructions, they were very helpful.

zBobG
  • zBobG

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (XTREME0235 @ Apr 27 2010, 21:16)
* .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
But not .NET 3.5.

|EDIT|: @ zBobG, I have done what you have instructed and now GTA IV actually starts, loading screen and all, but it stays black after that. So it seems we are getting closer to my problem, and thank you for those instructions, they were very helpful.

If it says dotnet 3.5 SP1, then you also have the vanilla dotnet 3.5, the SP1 is an extension of the vanilla version.

Where does the game quit running?

When you press "Play"?

When you press "Start"?

Does it ever start loading a savegame?

You may have a corrupted savegame, that would stop the game from loading. No easy fix except finding your savegame folder and manually deleting savegames (or just moving them out of the folder).

XTREME0235
  • XTREME0235

Aviation Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:32 AM Edited by XTREME0235, 28 April 2010 - 01:35 AM.

QUOTE (zBobG @ Apr 27 2010, 23:18)
QUOTE (XTREME0235 @ Apr 27 2010, 21:16)
* .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
But not .NET 3.5.

If it says dotnet 3.5 SP1, then you also have the vanilla dotnet 3.5, the SP1 is an extension of the vanilla version.

Where does the game quit running?

When you press "Play"?

When you press "Start"?

Does it ever start loading a savegame?

You may have a corrupted savegame, that would stop the game from loading. No easy fix except finding your savegame folder and manually deleting savegames (or just moving them out of the folder).

As i said, i only had .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and the other, but no 3.0.

The game loads up the Rockstar games logo [Lammy Yellow R* colour], then the Rockstar North logo [Blue R*] then the GTA IV title, as usual, then it stops after that, i don't make it to the main menu where you press 'Start' 'Options' etc.

It can not be a corrupt save file as i do not have one yet, this is a fresh installation, it always worked as of a few months ago finely, nothing has changed except for Patch 6 which i just upgraded to, other than that i do not know what it could be. I have only tried running it once, and that was when i tried your method [which was a success, thanks] as i have school, but i'm posting this as i came home sick.

So this is my Grand Theft Auto IV for PC status right now: Loads the loading sequence that includes the Rockstar logo's and GTA IV title. Stops before it loads the main menu which leaves me with a blank, black screen.

XTREME0235.

zBobG
  • zBobG

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:35 AM

You never get to the "Start" screen? I think that's what you said.

Sounds more and more like a DirectX problem.

First try running the game with the "-safemode" option (without the quotes) in your shortcut. Or make a commandline.txt file with just that line (without the quotes) in it and put that file in the game's main folder.

Make a shortcut to LaunchGTAIV.exe if you need to with a commandline:
K:/Games/Rockstar Games/Grand Theft Auto IV/LaunchGTAIV.exe -safemode

Of course use your own path to the game.

Alternative 2:
It's possible that something about the game settings is preventing the game from running. Delete or rename the settings.cfg file. Find the settings.cfg file here:
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\Settings
Or...
C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\Settings

Alternative 3:
Other than that you might try updating DirectX 9.0c to the latest version. Yes, you need v9.0c even in Vista and Seven.
DirectX Redistributable
Or...
DirectX Web Installer

Alternative 4:
If none of this helps it might be useful to try a different video driver. I've got an idea that your video is just not initializing properly. It could be hardware or software and I'm pretty much out of ideas.

XTREME0235
  • XTREME0235

Aviation Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:15 AM

UPDATE
I have gotten my GTA IV to work all the way up to gameplay, i spawn inside the first [Broker] safe house as usual.
As soon as i step outside the blue door, it lags like a turtle with testicular cancer!

Idk why this would happen, i have not edited the map files in any way, i have only changed the model of about 3-5 cars, and changed the Annihilator to TBoGT Skylift.
[You can see my weird but funny story about this model change here: http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=447285]
But even then, that should not be the cause, as it starts to lag when i step out of the first, Blue door, still inside the apartment.

XTREME0235.

quechus13
  • quechus13

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:23 AM

Well first of all:

Tell us your FULL PC Specs run dxdiag.exe and save all the information and copy paste it here
and show us the graphics menu.

Second:

Please dont double,triple post again XD

Third:

Have you tried reinstalling? or tried uninstalling mods?

XTREME0235
  • XTREME0235

Aviation Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:11 AM Edited by XTREME0235, 28 April 2010 - 09:58 AM.

System:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_qfe.100216-1510)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: G41M-ES2L
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

Processor: PentiumŪ Dual-Core CPU E6300 @ 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2046MB RAM (2GB)
Page File: 703MB used, 3235MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode
DxDiag Previously: Crashed in system information (stage 4)

Display:
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 9500 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Display Memory: 1024.0 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: ViewSonic VX2235wm
Monitor Max Res: 1680,1050

Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0011.7824 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 10/7/2008 15:33:00, 6058112 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: No
WHQL Date Stamp: None
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys

Any other information will not be released here, as it is not needed.
this really was not THAT necessary quechus13, but you insisted.
Btw, who cares about Double, Triple or even Quadruple posting, this is my topic, i do how ever many posts i like withinreason that there is a given response. I will NOT be the type to spam up the topic to gain publicity, nor shall i plead for posts here.

As i said before, this is a fresh installation with no MAJOR mods.
I have no .asi loaders, no .asi files, no Script hook's and no Trainer of ANY kind, as they do not work when i insert them into the main directory of GTA IV.
Complete list of edited data files and .img files:

DATA FILES:
*Weaponinfo.xml
*Cargrp.dat
*Handling.dat
*Vehicle.ide
*Carcol.dat
*Effects.dat -----> [edited the force of the Fire Hydrants and Rocket explosion size.]

.IMG FILES:
*weapons.img ----->Purpose: To have colored weapon icons, along with 2 new models, replacing the Glock and MP5

I am to hope that this is all you need, in the way of information,
EDIT:
I am still experiencing extreme lag at the rate of 4 FPS, and then only 5 minutes later, i get SMPA60 error.
Here is my Graphic settings:
user posted image

I have already tried the maximum Video Mode settings, and this is what i'm left with currently.
XTREME0235.

XTREME0235
  • XTREME0235

Aviation Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:49 AM

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:23 AM

I'm sorry I don't have the time to read everything in detail, but here would be my quick observations.

1) SMPA60 is caused (for the most part at least) by improper car mods which corrupt savegames. So, if you have saved the game with some modded cars parked, you will need to load the game, unpark the cars and then restore original files.

2) Your PC barely meets the minimum requirement, you should attenuate your expectations.

3) There is a detailed guide in the FAQ about proper .net installation.

XTREME0235
  • XTREME0235

Aviation Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Apr 29 2010, 10:23)
1) SMPA60 is caused (for the most part at least) by improper car mods which corrupt savegames. So, if you have saved the game with some modded cars parked, you will need to load the game, unpark the cars and then restore original files.

2) Your PC barely meets the minimum requirement, you should attenuate your expectations.

Reply to 1) I deleted my save game files, i start a new game, and then it lags like HELL when i get to the corner near the safe house, then it crashes, then when i relaunch GTA IV, apparently i have saved it when i haven't.

Reply to 2) That could not be the case, as i have run GTA IV before, since last year actually and it would ALWAYS run 100% smoothly.

LKingdon
  • LKingdon

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:29 PM

Ok, I'm having the same problem. I got the game today so this is a *brand-new* install, and when I click on any of the different ways of getting on to the game, one of those black boxes with a flashing underscore appears for a while, with GTAIV showing in the processes tab of the task manager at about 200,000K memory usage, then after a few seconds it disappears and it's as if I never clicked it.

I have both the GFWL's and the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Any more ideas?

L

XTREME0235
  • XTREME0235

Aviation Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:33 AM

Bump.
Anyone got a suggestion to my situation at this stage?

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE (LKingdon @ Apr 29 2010, 20:29)
Ok, I'm having the same problem. I got the game today so this is a *brand-new* install, and when I click on any of the different ways of getting on to the game, one of those black boxes with a flashing underscore appears for a while, with GTAIV showing in the processes tab of the task manager at about 200,000K memory usage, then after a few seconds it disappears and it's as if I never clicked it.

I have both the GFWL's and the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Any more ideas?

L

Update the game manually, links in my sig.

zBobG
  • zBobG

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:12 AM

Just got SMPA60 error in MP using EFLC retail disk version.

I have NO modded cars, NOTHING is modded. Only using v5.6 simple trainer.

Got this error the very first time I ran EFLC MP, about 15 minutes after the start of that session. Never got this error in GTA IV MP.

Is it possible that some other player in the session (there were two others) may have spawned a modded car and that is what caused my session to crash?

{I'm only posting this here because you (mkey) mentioned that error.}

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:15 AM

QUOTE (zBobG @ May 1 2010, 06:12)

Just got SMPA60 error in MP using EFLC retail disk version.

I have NO modded cars, NOTHING is modded. Only using v5.6 simple trainer.

Got this error the very first time I ran EFLC MP, about 15 minutes after the start of that session. Never got this error in GTA IV MP.

Is it possible that some other player in the session (there were two others) may have spawned a modded car and that is what caused my session to crash?

{I'm only posting this here because you (mkey) mentioned that error.}

Yeah, this is why I said "for the most part".

One guy (rob.zombie was it?) claimed this happens because other people modded vehicles as well, but there were cases where people got the SMPA error in singleplayer as well, without any mods. So it may be some generic form of savegame corruption.

dooplissthethird
  • dooplissthethird

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:48 AM

hello guys, i need help with my gta iv it will not start i get a message that says need to have service pack 1 or higher, please help me.

Shiva.
  • Shiva.

DYOM Player

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:36 AM Edited by shiva s, 07 April 2013 - 02:56 AM.

Which OS is your computer runnig? Maybe, try running GTAIV.exe in Windows XP SP3 or SP2 compatability mode.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users