» «
Photo

Users to ignore list

21 replies to this topic
mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:26 PM Edited by mkey82, 26 October 2010 - 10:21 AM.

Lately I've found myself on the receiving end of some comments I'm simply not intelligent enough to ignore. So this little feature came to mind, something akin to the Buddy/Block PM lists. Why not have a list which would block posts coming from certain members? Basically, something like the "/ignore user" command from chat.

There are obviously ways this could be abused, but generally it should reduce the amount of trash posts and flaming. So to this end I have created a small Greasemonkey script, simple to operate and quite useful.

1. You can find the script here. You will obviously need Greasemonkey and Firefox. Google Chrome should be supported properly with the latest version. IE not tested nor supported.

2. After installation you will be prompted to activate the script by going to the "Skin and languages" options, this is only needed to detect the skin properly.

3. If you go to your profile there you'll find the added functionality for maintaining the block list. I don't think any additional explanations are required.

user posted image

4. Now all occurrences of unwanted posts should be removed, posts from threads with quoted content being hidden behind spoiler tags.

Hopefully, I will not part take in any flaming from this point forth. Special thanks goes to James_Earl_Cash for inspiring me to create this script. Big thanks to NitroBullet as well, he's always a big source of inspiration.

Banana
  • Banana

Ghetto Star

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:36 PM

Is there a way to make it work on skins other than the default?

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:42 PM

Well surely yes, but I use the default one so haven't tested it. Which one do you use, I'll check it out tomorrow.

Banana
  • Banana

Ghetto Star

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Apr 14 2010, 16:42)
Well surely yes, but I use the default one so haven't tested it. Which one do you use, I'll check it out tomorrow.

I usually use the Connection skin. icon14.gif

dills
  • dills

Work it Carlton!

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:30 PM

This is excellent, had been wanting something like this for a while, thanks very much.

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:43 PM

Will you make a script for both Mac and PC versions of Safari?

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:33 PM

Sorry man, I know absolutely nothing about Mac nor do I use Safari. Does that browser have the ability to install some sort of Greasemonkey?

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:20 PM

Updated the script, it should work on all the skins now.

After installation it will ask you to "activate" it, that is visit the Language and skin settings page.

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:31 PM

I searched in it's help about greasemonkey, and no results about where found.

However, you can download it from this link

http://www.brotherso...dows-59845.html

Then, you can do any kind of script for it.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:35 PM

You should look here http://www.simplehel...ipts-in-safari/

It seems rather straightforward. Don't know about any compatibility issues.

kingvercetti
  • kingvercetti

Is this the real life?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:10 PM

It installs natively on Chrome but it doesn't appear to work, which was what I expected really. Not sure how Chrome handles things differently than Greasemonkey, but I thought I'd give you a heads up if you're interested.

Nice work though smile.gif

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:20 PM

Did you visit the Language and settings page in "my controls"?

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:58 PM Edited by Diego "DM" Mendez, 16 April 2010 - 06:26 PM.

user posted image

In the picture, I don't know if I did it right or not.
I marked red at some points to avoid my buddies being spammed.

EDIT : Wait, it was supposed to be in my profile. But I don't see the boxes.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:48 PM

You should go to "my controls" > "skins and languages" here http://www.gtaforums...=UserCP&CODE=06. Then go to your profile here http://www.gtaforums...showuser=465106 , not the PM folder.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:22 PM

Version 1.2 is out now, since I got pounded a bit more lately by some people whose motivation I really can't comprehend. Overhauled the script a bit since it was leaking all over the place.

1. posts weren't blocked in the thread preview below the post in the new post page. They sure are now.
2. the same goes for the edit post page and the preview post window. No leaks anymore.

I also added a blocked post counter in the profile, it actually counts all blocked posts, whenever they occurred.

GTAF Peacekeeper v1.2

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:14 AM

Don't you just love when you find out your work is actually broken and full of unwanted features? It's just a fantastic feeling, the exact opposite of feeling "good" and being "full of oneself".

Bugs

1. it seems the script wasn't actually working on some skins, like at all (| nervous.gif |) due to some f*ckup on my side (probably deleted a random, at the time totally useless, portion of code). So I fixed that
2. the blocked post counter feature was broken, it's working properly now.

New stuff

1. the script should work normally on Google Chrome. Haven't actually tested it (due to being lazy), but it really really should work. The betas may cause issues, but hey, there is a reason why they are in the beta stage.
2. I expanded the functionality a bit so that the content you want blocked will be covered by spoilers if it was quoted by some other user. Simple, really. I was wondering about how to solve this issue and IMO this is a balanced solution. As long as the content was properly quoted, it will be hidden behind spoilers.

Note

After script update the stored user names will not be accessible by the new version, so maybe you'll want to take note of them or maybe give those guys another chance.

GTAF Peacekeeper v1.3

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:51 PM

Nice work, mkey82. This should provide relief to a lot of people on here.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:52 PM

Sorry for the bump, but I recently installed this and I've got a bug. Every time I log out and/or clear my cookies, cache and history (ie every time I shut down Firefox) it clears my ban list, forcing me to go through the entire process every time I log on (skin and language --> block users). If this could be fixed I'd really appreciate it.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:09 AM Edited by mkey82, 01 December 2010 - 06:47 AM.

Heh, this comes from Google chrome compatibility and local storage, the old version didn't have this problem.

I'll work on it.

OK, here it goes

GTAF Peacekeeper v1.31

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:13 PM

Works perfectly. Thank you!

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:53 PM

Another troll bites the dust tounge.gif

Thank you for warning me as I found a few issues that probably broke the script on Google chrome and this is definitively a better implementation. You live, you learn.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

Sorry for the bump, but mkey is inactive and I was just wondering if someone could update this? I'm not sure how complicated it is to work with another man's code, or how much work would go into making this work with the latest version of FF/Greasemonkey but I'd sure appreciate it if someone could give it a try or say it's impossible.

Thanks in advance!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users