» «
Photo

Extreme Texture Pop-in

272 replies to this topic
OutOfTimer
  • OutOfTimer

PC Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:07 PM Edited by OutOfTimer, 18 August 2010 - 12:08 AM.

If you're experiencing texture pop-in after applying patch 1.0.7.0, please read this thread. My texture pop-in has been completely fixed using command lines provided by R* Toronto. Apparently this issue is not due to modified memory management but rather specific hardware configurations.

What you have to do now is figure out your own command lines and if you do it right, your problem will most likely disappear.

The screenshot below represents how my game looked for the first half a second after I turned away for a moment. Then all the textures slowly loaded to high quality. For a brief time a number of objects was missing, too.

user posted image

All of R* Toronto responses to this thread are quoted below. Some of them may be out of context so please be careful. Please remember that what you really have to do is find command lines specific to your hardware configuration.

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ Apr 22 2010, 15:15)
Basically -memrestrict is telling the game how much video memory your system has available.  At startup we query the OS for this value but as some of you may have noticed the number can vary even though you are obviously not changing your video card everytime you play the game.

Once the game exceeds the amount of video memory available, the Os finds it from somewhere else (system memory) and eventually this causes fragmentation and the game throws up an RESC10 error because the OS can't find anymore free memory.  The tricky part is that every OS behaves differently, and thats before you factor in other .dll's and drivers that also make requests from this memory pool which will be different from user to user.

Using -memrestrict explicitly tells the game how much video memory to use.  The math is to take the desired meg number and multiply it by 1024 twice.  So if we wanted to declare 600 megs of VRAM:

600 x 1024 x 1024 = 629145600

you would enter the commandline "-memrestrict -629145600"

Lowering this number increases stability of the game by capping the video memory, but there will come a point where there isn't enough memory to draw everything required by the game which is when you see "popping".

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ Apr 21 2010, 21:07)
OutOfTimer, if you use the following commandline the memory settings will be the same as they were in Patch 1.0.3.0 (these are specific to your hardware):

-reservedApp 0 -memrestrict 943718400

I'm not sure if this will cause an RESC10 error with your current video driver, but on some machines the OS manages the memory better than others.

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ Apr 21 2010, 17:26)
- Load Times Cut in Half
I'm not seeing this at all, what are you using as a test?  Loading from the Start Menu to the First Mission?

- Draw Distance Higher than before
This is mainly because our new shadow solution requires less VRAM then the old one

-Auto Configure chooses Medium Textures instead of High Textures

On Vista 32 and Windows 7 32 the video card drivers use up the memory in our application space.  This scenario is unique to these OS'.  On a 32 Bit OS this defaults to 2GB, on 64 Bit OS this is 4GB.  We have no control over Video Card drivers (among other .dll's that end up in our address space due to mods and whatnot) that can change the amount of address space used with every release. 

In our latest profiles, with High Textures we saw that the application memory was exceeding the 2GB limit in some cases so we now auto configure to Medium Textures.  Now it is entirely possible that you can run High Textures on these 32 Bit Os and never see the problem due to the unpredictibility of the game (ie. if you skip a cutscene or do a mission differently) but I think even you can see the logic in our auto configure choice in this instance.

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ Apr 22 2010, 00:25)
I don't see why you couldn't run High Shadows on your rig and have same performance as 1.0.0.4 with Very High Shadows.

We have a Win 7 64 bit i7 rig here running an Nvidia 480 and we get a rock solid 35-45 with Very High Shadows and sliders set at 50/50/50.

You can try the higher mem restrict number as well, but it won't make as big a difference as I expect it to make on OutOfTimers rig.

-reservedApp 0 -memrestrict 943718400

Again, make sure clip capture is ON to avoid the water slowdown bug.

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ Apr 22 2010, 14:56)
With the latest drivers I would expect this setting to cause gameplay stuttering but as I've said before in this thread sometimes the OS' memory management works better on some machines vs others.

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ Apr 22 2010, 16:49)
We have no set "cap" on how much the game will render or how fast it can run.

On this same rig we can configure the game to run a sustained 185 fps.  We allow the user to tailor their experience based on what they personally want out of the game within the limits of the hardware they have.  This is what we beleive the PC gamer wants.

The game looks and plays amazing with the settings we have dialed in on the i7 machine that is hitting 35-45 fps.  If we wanted it to run at 55fps we can change the settings to achieve this but we have to lower some settings due to the constraints of the current hardware.

We've tried to convey this by telling the user how each setting influences the CPU and GPU.

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ Apr 16 2010, 18:48)
Do not do this unless you know exactly what is going on.  Do not do this if you have less than 4 Gigs of system RAM.

This does not work in XP32 and the game will crash within minutes if you try the /3GB switch.

Vista 32:

Open a command prompt and type the following:

bcdedit /set increaseuserva 3072

Reboot.  To disable, open a command prompt and type the following:

bcdedit /deletevalue increaseuserva

Reboot.

Win 7 32:

Same as above, but you must open the command prompt as the administrator or you will be denied access.

Again, DO NOT TRY THIS IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THE TERMINOLOGY OR NEED MORE DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS. You could put your system into a bad state.

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ Apr 16 2010, 19:47)
Thats only if you have a 32 Bit OS and insist on using High Textures.  Medium textures are recommended for Vista 32 / Win 7.  On those Operating systems the video card drivers are in the same application space as GTA IV so we have alot less to work with.

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ Apr 16 2010, 22:11)
Do not try to run GTA IV or EFLC with a 3GB address space with XP 32 as it will make the game unstable.

Vista 32 / Win 7 32 are unique in that the video drivers share the same memory space as the game which is why we don't recommend High Textures for this OS.

Since XP 32 has more of the 2GB maximum memory space to work with then Vista 32/ Win 7 32, you may be able to use High Textures depending on other hardware.

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ Apr 16 2010, 17:31)
If your setup was stable with Patch 5 and you are seeing excessive popping on high end rigs, try the following commandline:

-reservedApp 0

Do not use any of your old commandlines in conjunction with this when first attempting it; try it on it's own first and let the in game memory management handle the rest.  This should NOT be used on Vista/Win 7 32 bit*.  Same goes for High Textures in general, there simply isn't enough memory available on 32 bit Vista/Win 7.

GTA IV and EFLC are Large Address Aware, on 32 Bit Vista/Win 7 you can use the bcdedit command to enable 3GB memory address space which will allow the games memory management to behave as if it was on a 64 Bit Os.  Do not attempt this if you've never heard of this before, it can cause your system to become unstable when using other software.

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ Apr 21 2010, 21:14)
There is a bug right now with Clip Capture OFF so leave it ON until we can distribute a fix.

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ Apr 21 2010, 21:19)
The disc check is something that was mandated. If you don't want disc check get the Steam version.

viometrix
  • viometrix

Mildly Aggravating

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:18 PM

well thank god i got all of the improvements without any of the drawbacks besides a slight drop in fps :-)

OutOfTimer
  • OutOfTimer

PC Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (viometrix @ Apr 14 2010, 12:18)
well thank god i got all of the improvements without any of the drawbacks besides a slight drop in fps :-)

If you have a reduced loading time and can set a much higher detail distance than before, I see absolutely no way for you not to have a massive pop-in in-game. I've compared both versions of the game side-by-side.

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (OutOfTimer @ Apr 14 2010, 12:07)
The latest patch not only brought a large number of bug fixes, but also significant improvements (particularly concerning shadows). You might've noticed that the loading time has also been vastly reduced and you can set a much higher detail distance. However, we have paid a terrible price for these improvements. Unfortunately, there is a massive texture pop-in in-game. It basically feels like playing the XBox 360 where you have to wait for all the textures to load for several seconds. For me personally, this is almost unbearable. Whenever I look, I have to wait for all the props and buildings to load to high quality. And it goes on... and on... and on...

I've got the same problem with pop-in since the patch. The only problem was there was no gain for me as I could max it out and run smoothly on the previous build.

What is your system spec? Do you have an NVidia GTX 2** card like me by any chance?

livilaNic
  • livilaNic

Got Milf?

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:34 PM

Same thing here. Sure I don't have the best rig, but I've never had this much pop-in before. It must be the way the new shadow system is draw (or w/e method they use) on objects obviously. It seems the shadow hits certain objects then the objects load. Instead of loading with or before the shadow. Not sure how it all truly works so I'm just saying what think I see happening. It happens no matter what view/distance is set for me. Meh.

OutOfTimer
  • OutOfTimer

PC Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:38 PM Edited by OutOfTimer, 14 April 2010 - 01:54 PM.

QUOTE (Jimbatron @ Apr 14 2010, 13:32)
The latest patch not only brought a large number of bug fixes, but also significant improvements (particularly concerning shadows). You might've noticed that the loading time has also been vastly reduced and you can set a much higher detail distance. However, we have paid a terrible price for these improvements. Unfortunately, there is a massive texture pop-in in-game. It basically feels like playing the XBox 360 where you have to wait for all the textures to load for several seconds. For me personally, this is almost unbearable. Whenever I look, I have to wait for all the props and buildings to load to high quality. And it goes on... and on... and on...

I've got the same problem with pop-in since the patch. The only problem was there was no gain for me as I could max it out and run smoothly on the previous build.

What is your system spec? Do you have an NVidia GTX 2** card like me by any chance?

I'm currently using a GeForce 9800 GT (1 GB vRAM) and a 3.0 GHz Core 2 Quad. I was not able to max everything out like you but I was still able to play on very high settings. The only gain for me is all the bug fixes and new shadows. Unfortunately, it seems to be a loss on the whole as R* simply brought my gaming experience down to an XBox 360 level. The funniest thing happens in Playboy X's apartment. When I go outside I have to wait for about 2-3 seconds for the props to load (and believe me that's an eternity). When I turn my head away... I have to do it again... and f***ing again. What the f***, R* ?

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (livilaNic @ Apr 14 2010, 13:34)
Same thing here. Sure I don't have the best rig, but I've never had this much pop-in before. It must be the way the new shadow system is draw (or w/e method they use) on objects obviously. It seems the shadow hits certain objects then the objects load. Instead of loading with or before the shadow. Not sure how it all truly works so I'm just saying what think I see happening. It happens no matter what view/distance is set for me. Meh.

The new shadows are a resource drain, there is no doubt about that for me.

However, I think the pop-in might be an unrelated problem. I tried turning shadows and reflections off completely to see if they were the cause. I still get bad pop-in, especially when flying a chopper.

OutOfTimer
  • OutOfTimer

PC Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:44 PM Edited by OutOfTimer, 14 April 2010 - 01:47 PM.

QUOTE (Jimbatron @ Apr 14 2010, 13:40)
The new shadows are a resource drain, there is no doubt about that for me.

Yes. I had a famous modder confirm this a few minutes ago. I had a problem with stuttering before but it's now fixed by putting the two shadows options to HIGH and MEDIUM.

QUOTE (Jimbatron @ Apr 14 2010, 13:40)
However, I think the pop-in might be an unrelated problem. I tried turning shadows and reflections off completely to see if they were the cause. I still get bad pop-in, especially when flying a chopper.

I think so, too. Notice how the loading time decreased. It's lightening fast now. They must've changed A LOT in the way textures are handled to achieve this.

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (OutOfTimer @ Apr 14 2010, 13:38)
I'm currently using a GeForce 9800 GT (1 GB vRAM) and a 3.0 GHz Core 2 Quad. I was not able to max everything out like you but I was still able to play on very high settings. The only gain for me is all the bug fixes and new shadows. Unfortunately, it seems to be a loss on the whole as R* simply brought my gaming experience down to an XBox 360 level. The funniest things happens in Playboy X's appartment. When I go outside I have to wait for about 2-3 seconds for the props to load (and believe me that's an eternity). When I turn my head away... I have to do it again... and f***ing again. What the f***, R* ?

My Spec is

Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz
6GB DDR 3 RAM
GTX 285 2GB
Windows 7 64 bit.

With title update 5 I would always get atleast 45fps even in congested areas, with all settings maxed out. I can't get this now, more like 20-30, which is still playable, it's the pop-in that is my big greivance.

Interestingly, the pop-in still occurs if I reduce textures to medium. I therefore don't think it is a resource issue. I've also noticed when flying a chopper now that the size of buildings can jump noticably, rather than getting gradually bigger due to perspective as you approach. I've also come across some ATI users now saying they have the pop-in problem, so my initial suspicion that it is an NVidia related issue may have been false.

I'd happily go back to title update 5 and live with the floating street textures. The problem is, I want to use multiplayer, and I doubt this will be an option for EFLC when it comes out on friday. Can anyone from across the pond tell me if you can run title update five graphics for the add on?

OutOfTimer
  • OutOfTimer

PC Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:59 PM Edited by OutOfTimer, 16 April 2010 - 08:14 PM.

QUOTE (livilaNic @ Apr 14 2010, 13:34)

QUOTE (Jimbatron @ Apr 14 2010, 13:50)
Interestingly, the pop-in still occurs if I reduce textures to medium. I therefore don't think it is a resource issue. I've also noticed when flying a chopper now that the size of buildings can jump noticably, rather than getting gradually bigger due to perspective as you approach. I've also come across some ATI users now saying they have the pop-in problem, so my initial suspicion that it is an NVidia related issue may have been false.

Interesting. Perhaps it's indeed connected to the way shadows are handled now.

QUOTE (Jimbatron @ Apr 14 2010, 13:50)
I'd happily go back to title update 5 and live with the floating street textures. The problem is, I want to use multiplayer, and I doubt this will be an option for EFLC when it comes out on friday.

You can go back to Patch 1.0.3.0 and only suffer from the minor shadow bugs while still playing multiplayer with Patch 1.0.6.0. Just make a copy of your whole GTA IV folder and prepare two shortcuts to launch it (only remember you will have to switch the settings file or your game will crash).

viometrix
  • viometrix

Mildly Aggravating

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:59 PM

the reason i dont seem to get the texture pop in is the only settings i changed were my shadows and AF. i did not mess with any of my detail distance at all. i did test it by cranking it up, viola pop in problems, set it back they were gone again. its funny though i got the ballad of gay tony from windows live (installs into same gta iv whereas the steam and disc version get their own directory) i can crank up with no pop in, its only when running original gta iv that i get the pop in. but it is a mystery to me because they are using the same files except TBOGT uses additional resources for new cars scripts etc.

Jimbatron none of the new content will work with patch 5, but if you get the disk or steam version you can use them online, and have your seperate gta iv rolled back with no online. i personally will only go online with tbogt since it has new vehicles and parachutes!!!!

livilaNic
  • livilaNic

Got Milf?

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:02 PM Edited by livilaNic, 15 April 2010 - 02:27 AM.

Never mind.... mercie_blink.gif

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (viometrix @ Apr 14 2010, 13:59)
the reason i dont seem to get the texture pop in is the only settings i changed were my shadows and AF. i did not mess with any of my detail distance at all. i did test it by cranking it up, viola pop in problems, set it back they were gone again. its funny though i got the ballad of gay tony from windows live (installs into same gta iv whereas the steam and disc version get their own directory) i can crank up with no pop in, its only when running original gta iv that i get the pop in. but it is a mystery to me because they are using the same files except TBOGT uses additional resources for new cars scripts etc.

Jimbatron none of the new content will work with patch 5, but if you get the disk or steam version you can use them online, and have your seperate gta iv rolled back with no online. i personally will only go online with tbogt since it has new vehicles and parachutes!!!!

Thanks for confirming, I wasn't holding out much hope of the new content working on patch 5.

The pop-in occurs for me though on the new build for GTA IV even if I reduce my settings. I couldn't crank up the settings up because they were already maxed! Even on pathetically low levels of graphic settings (and I've tried tweaking every one of them), I still get pop-in. It is somewhat encouraging to hear though that it seems to affect the DLC to a lesser extent.

@Outoftimer - being able to play multiplayer with a previous patch? I'm probably revealing my ingnorance here but I didn't realise that was possible. Can you enlighten me how to do this? GFWL forces me to update or signs me out, and while I've not used xliveless, I was under the impression that it disables multiplayer?

kingddd
  • kingddd

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:28 PM

For me, the pop ins aren't as bad as 360. The 360 version would like turn around and voila you see untextured object for 2 seconds. On my end, I don't have that problem more on the very distance objects but it isn't noticable.

OutOfTimer
  • OutOfTimer

PC Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE (Jimbatron @ Apr 14 2010, 15:13)
@Outoftimer: Being able to play multiplayer with a previous patch? I'm probably revealing my ingnorance here but I didn't realise that was possible. Can you enlighten me how to do this? GFWL forces me to update or signs me out, and while I've not used xliveless, I was under the impression that it disables multiplayer?

No no no. It seems I wasn't clear enough. You cannot join MP with the previous patch but you can have two copies of the game folder so that you join MP with the latest patch and play SP with the one of your choice. Unfortunately, this is the best I have to offer here. :'-(

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (OutOfTimer @ Apr 14 2010, 15:33)
QUOTE (Jimbatron @ Apr 14 2010, 15:13)
@Outoftimer: Being able to play multiplayer with a previous patch? I'm probably revealing my ingnorance here but I didn't realise that was possible. Can you enlighten me how to do this? GFWL forces me to update or signs me out, and while I've not used xliveless, I was under the impression that it disables multiplayer?

No no no. It seems I wasn't clear enough. You cannot join MP with the previous patch but you can have two copies of the game folder so that you join MP with the latest patch and play SP with the one of your choice. Unfortunately, this is the best I have to offer here. :'-(

Thanks for replying - I think I'm generally clutching at straws at the moment! I thought it sounded too good to be true.

Still as you say, having two directories so I can still run SP with the old version is better than nothing.

Weses
  • Weses

Rat

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:55 PM Edited by Weses, 14 April 2010 - 04:17 PM.

I'm now getting stuttering and texture pop-ins even with the "-memrestrict" fix. What the goddamn...

EDIT: I was just driving around aimlessly in MP and this happened:

user posted image

confused.gif

OutOfTimer
  • OutOfTimer

PC Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (Weses @ Apr 14 2010, 15:55)
I was just driving around aimlessly in MP and this happened: [snip]

I had the very same thing at Playboy X's balcony. Was like "WTF, R*?"

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (OutOfTimer @ Apr 14 2010, 17:19)
QUOTE (Weses @ Apr 14 2010, 15:55)
I was just driving around aimlessly in MP and this happened: [snip]

I had the very same thing at Playboy X's balcony. Was like "WTF, R*?"

WTF - my thoughts exactly.

What is particularly criminal was that due to Sony Europe kicking off they had to delay release for a couple of weeks of EFLC, and therefore this patch. They had two extra weeks to spot there were serious problems - how the hell did they miss it?

Personaly, I suspect the Sony debacle was a godsend of an excuse for R* to delay the PC version because they knew they were having problems with the graphics.

westywest
  • westywest

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:46 AM

Eeek not much of a forum poster but after reading around about the pacth 6.... wow....

core 2 quad 9550 @ 2.83
4gig ram (nothing special and only 3 used in 32bit win 7 Home.Prem)
GTX260 stock, never over clocked. (just tried the newest nvidia driver release, no change)

Ran patch 5 at a pretty even 40-ish fps and was always smooth to the eye with every setting to high, 32 view distance, 55 Detail, 55 V.Density and 6 shadow density (When it was there)

Played those settings perfectly in GTA4 upto unlocking the algonquin safehouse with a much better experience that on my 360 in the lounge (besides the aliasing ofc)

Bought TlaD and TboGT in a store, installed, Got the windows live update and instantly.... Insane texture and object load times in both games GTA4 and the Lost/Tony pack, Dropped every setting to low to start working my way higher and find a spot to stop the pop in...... But even on lowest settings i have pop-in, I turn the camera 180 degree's in any direction, in any area of the map and everything is at it's lowest LoD setting or mip level untill it all begins to load....

Played GTA since number 1, but playing GTA4 like this, looks worse than my installed copy of GTA III with the pop-ins, Kinda feels like a PS1 game now so definatly a reinstall here.....

kitch9
  • kitch9

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:56 AM

The higher the view distance the more pop-in you will get as the game has to load textures and geometry you can't even see. I roll with a view distance of 40 (Up from 27 pre-patch.) any more than that and the game starts to show the strain.

Very high shadows and night shadows are a big no no too, I don't know why R* included them, they make my 5870 cry like a baby.

GTAMonkey2012_
  • GTAMonkey2012_

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:21 AM Edited by GTAMonkey2012_, 16 April 2010 - 10:26 AM.

I have 3.2gig AMD x2 64 & GTX260 OC ... and I patched and now have the EFLC and they all have this "popin" thing.

Its the most noticeable thing ive seen over anything since having IV from release day. to me the performance of the game with very similar settings to IV reminds me of when I first played IV unpatched under windows Vista 32. I moved to XP as it was much better, then started tweaking and a patch came then on it was very smooth.

Now its like im back to that again.

Go to the areas in TLAD near the coast/beach where you get the patches/clumps of grass, I can have them pop in meter away from me and it repeats that all the time even when its rendered and you move away and come back. This was the most obvious "something isn't right here" moment I had, and again ive had IV from day one. And again even on settings that match or are lower than IV since install on day one.

The best example is I have had pop-ins like stairs on buildings, a tree graphic render to high in the distance, the odd texture blur come in to focus, but this is a whole building appearing or a section, sometimes a road texture, an most obvious the shrubs/foliage clups all popping up one by one when im not far from them at all. When you have played it since Dec 2007 I think you do get used to visual things and this pop-in "thing" is a new problem and isnt something that's simply lowering settings and its a fix.

So far the best ive seen it play is IV under Xp32 with patch 1.0.4.0 ... anything before or since is certainly not totally right.

Rockstar Toronto
  • Rockstar Toronto

Rockstar Games Technical Support

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:31 PM

Hey guys,

if your setup was stable with Patch 5 and you are seeing excessive popping on high end rigs, try the following commandline:

-reservedApp 0

Do not use any of your old commandlines in conjunction with this when first attempting it; try it on it's own first and let the in game memory management handle the rest. This should NOT be used on Vista/Win 7 32 bit*. Same goes for High Textures in general, there simply isn't enough memory available on 32 bit Vista/Win 7.

GTA IV and EFLC are Large Address Aware, on 32 Bit Vista/Win 7 you can use the bcdedit command to enable 3GB memory address space which will allow the games memory management to behave as if it was on a 64 Bit Os. Do not attempt this if you've never heard of this before, it can cause your system to become unstable when using other software.

OutOfTimer
  • OutOfTimer

PC Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:45 PM

Hey guys,

if your setup was stable with Patch 5 and you are seeing excessive popping on high end rigs, try the following commandline:

-reservedApp 0

Do not use any of your old commandlines in conjunction with this when first attempting it; try it on it's own first and let the in game memory management handle the rest. This should NOT be used on Vista/Win 7 32 bit*. Same goes for High Textures in general, there simply isn't enough memory available on 32 bit Vista/Win 7.

GTA IV and EFLC are Large Address Aware, on 32 Bit Vista/Win 7 you can use the bcdedit command to enable 3GB memory address space which will allow the games memory management to behave as if it was on a 64 Bit Os. Do not attempt this if you've never heard of this before, it can cause your system to become unstable when using other software.

This advice is of critical importance. I will try it in a minute. Thank you.

Astrixone
  • Astrixone

Hustler

• Members

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:23 PM

Hey guys,

-reservedApp 0

So basicly i need to turn on the Physicall Address Extension if i have 32bit? or there is more on that?

Rockstar Toronto
  • Rockstar Toronto

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:48 PM

Do not do this unless you know exactly what is going on. Do not do this if you have less than 4 Gigs of system RAM.

This does not work in XP32 and the game will crash within minutes if you try the /3GB switch.

Vista 32:

Reboot. To disable, open a command prompt and type the following:

Reboot.

Win 7 32:

Same as above, but you must open the command prompt as the administrator or you will be denied access.

Again, DO NOT TRY THIS IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THE TERMINOLOGY OR NEED MORE DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS. You could put your system into a bad state.

Astrixone
  • Astrixone

Hustler

• Members

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ Apr 16 2010, 18:48)
Do not do this unless you know exactly what is going on. Do not do this if you have less than 4 Gigs of system RAM.

Vista 32:

Reboot. To disable, open a command prompt and type the following:

Reboot.

Win 7 32:

Again, DO NOT TRY THIS IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THE TERMINOLOGY OR NEED MORE DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS. You could put your system into a bad state.

Its okay, i have 4GB ram and all, i tried this, everything is fine but i am not sure it worked... i see on the task manager only 2300GB available, also i have only 3300GB in general.

IVSA_Guy
  • IVSA_Guy

Street Cat

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:36 PM

4GB you need to run this game decent... mercie_blink.gif
Very great optimized game.

Luckily I got x64 Vista.

Rockstar Toronto
  • Rockstar Toronto

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:47 PM

Thats only if you have a 32 Bit OS and insist on using High Textures. Medium textures are recommended for Vista 32 / Win 7. On those Operating systems the video card drivers are in the same application space as GTA IV so we have alot less to work with.

Astrixone
  • Astrixone

Hustler

• Members

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ Apr 16 2010, 19:47)
Thats only if you have a 32 Bit OS and insist on using High Textures. Medium textures are recommended for Vista 32 / Win 7. On those Operating systems the video card drivers are in the same application space as GTA IV so we have alot less to work with.

I see some improvment but i think its because of the command, and not because of this BSDedit. i am not sure it worked..

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users