» «
Photo

Bug after patch 6

34 replies to this topic
grabber
  • grabber

Three of a kind, let's do this!

• Members

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:32 PM Edited by grabber, 13 April 2010 - 01:40 PM.

Custom mapping for keyboard controls, is broken since the patch. I edited the default keys, to my own key bindings. There were no keys left behind with the message: "???" I want to save my keys, the following message comes up: a critical unmapped key is missing. This can't be true. I checked everything. I don't use any mods or so. Just installed the last patch over 1.0.0.5.

I can't use my own keys right now.

I also deleted the settings map. Or playing this game in safemode, give me the same result.

This is quite annoying.

SLAYERMAGGOT
  • SLAYERMAGGOT

Stay Wild

• Members

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:39 PM

This is curious, but may you have to install this patch on a fresh GTA IV install. I'll install GTA IV right now again and install the patch. I can tell if it worked. icon14.gif

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:41 PM

Did you try deleting the controlmap.dat file in the savegame folder?

grabber
  • grabber

• Members

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Apr 13 2010, 12:41)
Did you try deleting the controlmap.dat file in the savegame folder?

Yes, I did.

zirkulin
  • zirkulin

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:19 PM

Same problem here, Cant change hte key settings anymore, Should I re-install the game?

sloopy
  • sloopy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:28 AM

I'm having the same problem, and it's with a freshly installed copy of GTA IV with patch 6 right after a reformat. If i try to map anything to the up or down arrow keys (which i use for walking AND driving), it gives me the unmapped error message and won't let me save the settings. i have never had this propblem before with any of the other patches.

grabber
  • grabber

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:05 AM

Temporary solution: Don't change the key on foot for backwards. Default is "s". Then you can save.

hugh750
  • hugh750

i drive fast in gta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:15 PM

i too been having this issue with the new 1.0.6.0 patch die.gif
so i guess i can't remap my walking keys until they fix this issue. whatsthat.gif

Rockstar Toronto
  • Rockstar Toronto

Rockstar Games Technical Support

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:44 PM

Hi guys,

In Episode 2 there are new key mappings (ie. detonate sticky bomb) that are mandatory keys mapped to the "down" key.

These mappings aren't exposed in Patch 6 until you add E2 which we realize not everyone will do.

We've created a left hand controlmap.dat file that swaps the WASD keys with the Up,Down,Left,Right arrow keys. Please download the file and place it into your savegame folder. You'll still be able to modify the key mappings with this file as long as the Down key is left alone.

Apologies for this, thanks for your continued support.

http://updates.rocks.../ControlMap.dat

grabber
  • grabber

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:50 PM

Thanks for the support too. How will this be fixed in the future? A update through Live?

hugh750
  • hugh750

i drive fast in gta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:28 PM Edited by hugh750, 14 April 2010 - 08:38 PM.

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ Apr 14 2010, 11:44)
Hi guys,

In Episode 2 there are new key mappings (ie. detonate sticky bomb) that are mandatory keys mapped to the "down" key.

These mappings aren't exposed in Patch 6 until you add E2 which we realize not everyone will do.

We've created a left hand controlmap.dat file that swaps the WASD keys with the Up,Down,Left,Right arrow keys.  Please download the file and place it into your savegame folder.  You'll still be able to modify the key mappings with this file as long as the Down key is left alone.

Many thanks for letting us know colgate.gif
now i just need to reinstall the 1.0.6.0 patch (since i gave on it and reinstalled the game and put on 1.0.4.0 patch) lol.gif

exile550
  • exile550

FEARLESS

• Members

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:39 AM

I'm having the same problem with Episodes from Liberty City, will this controlmap fix it too?

thanx

hugh750
  • hugh750

i drive fast in gta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:59 AM

QUOTE (exile550 @ Apr 14 2010, 20:39)
I'm having the same problem with Episodes from Liberty City, will this controlmap fix it too?

thanx

it seems like it would it fixed my keyboard mapping problem, i have just gta 4 no addons.

zick
  • zick

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:27 PM Edited by zick, 15 April 2010 - 03:39 PM.

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ Apr 14 2010, 17:44)
Hi guys,

We've created a left hand controlmap.dat file that swaps the WASD keys with the Up,Down,Left,Right arrow keys.  Please download the file and place it into your savegame folder.  You'll still be able to modify the key mappings with this file as long as the Down key is left alone.

Where exactly is this "Savegame" folder?

EDIT: nevermind, found it. C:\Documents and Settings\Zick\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames\user_e000011ea4c36415

Rockstar Toronto
  • Rockstar Toronto

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:47 PM

Yes, the controlmap should work for all Episodes, DLC or EFLC.

Phienyx
  • Phienyx

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:00 PM

I bought and purchased EFLC through steam. Where would I find the folder or the path where I need to place this file. I've had no luck.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:22 AM

QUOTE (Phienyx @ Apr 16 2010, 01:00)
I bought and purchased EFLC through steam. Where would I find the folder or the path where I need to place this file. I've had no luck.

You had no luck as you haven't been paying attention http://www.gtaforums...entry1058955437

You should also be able to reach that folder if you right click the GTAIV icon in the Start menu programs list.

apexpredator
  • apexpredator

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:53 PM

Still doesn't work on "On Foot". I can't bind down button to "move backwards".

Any solution or another version of ControlMap.dat ?

Thanks.

Rockstar Toronto
  • Rockstar Toronto

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:32 PM Edited by Rockstar Toronto, 16 April 2010 - 10:01 PM.

The control map I posted already has the down arrow mapped to move backwards on foot.

Phienyx
  • Phienyx

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:51 PM Edited by Phienyx, 16 April 2010 - 09:54 PM.

Thank you for the info.

Everything seems to work. Just drop the downloaded contolmap file into your userfile and no other adjustements to your arrow keys need be made.

3rr0r
  • 3rr0r

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE (grabber @ Apr 14 2010, 11:05)
Temporary solution: Don't change the key on foot for backwards. Default is "s". Then you can save.

exactly, but Iam oldschool I play on arrow keys... this is f*cked up to be honest, even now I cant use the arrow keys on my phone...this is stupid.

UltimateGTR
  • UltimateGTR

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:07 AM

I got this problem too with patch 6, maybe fix this on patch 7?

heat84
  • heat84

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:32 AM

Keys are working fine for me. Maybe all you guys having problems re-mapped a key that I didn't which caused the problem.

Edit: Oh I see, its when you install the EFLC's that you get the problem.

hugh750
  • hugh750

i drive fast in gta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:48 PM

I did remap a few of the keys but i left the down key alone and it works great!!
and many thanks for fixing the patch glitch with the controlmap.dat file!!

sethman1975
  • sethman1975

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:53 PM

This kind of crap in unacceptable.

I waste an hour of my life trying to figure out why this issue wouldn't work and it's because the programmers think that the keys they choose are what everybody else uses.

EPIC FAIL from RS!!!!!!!! icon13.gif icon13.gif icon13.gif icon13.gif

ALANALF
  • ALANALF

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:59 PM

I have just bought a pc good enough to play GTA iv on after having owned the game since it came out. I have put the latest patch on and being left handed I cannot change the key bindings and save them as the "critical unmapped key" error comes up. I have downloaded the new key mapped file, but this still does not fix the problem as I cannot map the keys to the bindings I require. Having played every GTA since the first one I cannot believe that this is an error that cannot be fixed. If i were to uninstall the game, which patch level can I install up to to allow me to change the key bindings. I cannot play the vanilla version out of the box as even though it is an i7 920 with a 5850 card and 6gb of ram it stutters like crazy. Any help appreciated guys!

Dcrysis02
  • Dcrysis02

The Stronger One

• Members

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:09 PM

Well, this is a disappointment. I use the up, down, left and right arrows in every game, and now a patch forbids me to do this.

Another bad point to the devs. icon13.gif Really, you guys need to get your crap together. confused.gif

[X-Rok]
  • [X-Rok]

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:51 AM

yeah, what kind of fix is this? it's not one, at all. it's a bandaid on a friggin' axe wound. what is the point of having the supposed freedom of choice of the keyboard's keys when it wont work anyway? i don't see a reason for there to even be such permanent binds that can't be overridden in the custom control mapping.

i have num4 and num6 bound to turn left and turn right, but noooo, can't put handbrake on rightarrow (which is also jump, as has been habit since gta3, and all FPSs before since forever), cause when i go driving and try to handbrake, it only and always spins me to the right... took me 20 minutes to figure out what the hell that problem was.

i thought the gta3/vc/sa engine had control problems. strafing while aiming also turned to that side, making hard to keep aim while trying to strafe. couldn't bind numpad5 to my usual backwards movement (8456 instead of wasd or arrows), settled with num2. still awkward as hell though. but that was about it, it was minor enough i worked around it. but at least everything else did it with what key it was assigned to.

gta4 is proving to be a whole new level of sh*t-tarded...
the aforementioned left/right issue.
can't bind home, which i sort of understand because of the windows games ui sh*t, but GUESS WHAT: YOU CAN CHANGE IT'S SHORTCUT KEY! (shift/alt-home)
can't bind numpad7. i assume related to the above because it's also home with numlock off.... but seriously wtf.
having problems with it detecting my mouse buttons to even try and bind things to them, can bind 1, 2, 3(wheelclick), 8 and 9, can't bind 4-7.
can't bind Crouch to downarrow. (despite showing DOWN as the bound key in the keybinds screen, I get errors saying a critical function is unbound and thus won't save the control scheme.)
can't bind anything to any of the F# keys.

games have been doing custom keybind controls like this for over a decade, and doing it fine. gta3's engine was slightly disappointing. gta4 is a frustrating nightmare of implementation failure. and unless something changes, then i'll never have seen gta4 any further than half a block away from the first time leaving cousin's apartment, because i've spent over an hour and a half trying awkward after awkward button configurations, unable to come up with something even remotely resembling what i am used to.

grateful_dead
  • grateful_dead

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:23 AM

QUOTE (sethman1975 @ Apr 23 2010, 07:53)
This kind of crap in unacceptable.

I waste an hour of my life trying to figure out why this issue wouldn't work and it's because the programmers think that the keys they choose are what everybody else uses.

EPIC FAIL from RS!!!!!!!! icon13.gif icon13.gif icon13.gif icon13.gif

WTF.

This is unprofessional.

Can I have my money back?

I'm old school and play with the cursor keys.

jnightz
  • jnightz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ Apr 16 2010, 21:32)
The control map I posted already has the down arrow mapped to move backwards on foot.

Thanks, that 'keyboard config' is almost perfect for me smile.gif the only thing I wanted to change is the 'Lean forward' and 'Lean backward' keys, it's on 'Left shift and 'Left Control' and I want them to be in W and S. But when I remap them the phone's up and down disappear ???

Why we can't remap our own keys? Who cares if I want use the same keys that are used by the phone? As long as the phone is hidden there's no problem and I don't use the game's phone while performing a wheelie or stoppie on a motorbike or driving and killing at the same time biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users