Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:46 PM
Edited by wotsit, 02 June 2010 - 05:14 PM.
Some more observations after playing GTA:IV and GTA:IV EFLC from scratch with the latest patches:
1) Texture loading priority is now messed up. Foreground textures should take priority over distant textures, but frequently this is not the case. Just now, Niko was talking with Roman, and Roman's shirt wasn't fully rendered. Also, Niko went for a spin in the helicopter with Brucie, and the Helipad 'H' texture hadn't fully loaded even when landing on it. Everything else in these scenes had rendered properly. This problem occasionally extends to the storyline animation screens. The clothing and helipad textures are obviously small/light files and shouldn't be a problem for mid-end cards, never mind my GTX 470.
2) Road textures are frequently 'grayed out' for a couple of seconds. This has always occurred to some extent in GTA:IV (usually when entering the Booth Tunnel), but it plagues 126.96.36.199 all over the city. I suspect these textures are 'alpha overlays'. Ie. 32-bit, transparent textures that contain additional road details, like white lines, potholes, etc.
3) Speaking of alpha texture issues: there is a heck of a lot of flickering going on all over the place now. Alpha texture flickering is a notorious problem with OpenGL and DirectX, but it just got a whole lot worse in GTA:IV with this patch. It is seriously bad.
4) Texture quality is not consistent between GTA:IV and EFLC using same settings. Most glaring example: Tall, cylindrical building lit-up in lights on the corner of Kunzite Street and Burlesque. Approach it from the North in GTA:IV and it is not blurry and the animated words (NASDAQ, etc.) can be read clearly. In EFLC, the render time is much longer and the building doesn't fully render until you're much closer. Same settings (those I've listed above, actually). One example of many.
5) Dwayne. GTA:IV. I can't hang out with him anymore? I've almost completed the game again and I chose to kill Playboy in the relevant mission, not Dwayne, but I just get the latter's answerphone every time I call him now. I remember replying to an email from Dwayne saying we should hang out, but no play. I'm pretty sure bowling, strip club, etc., were options when trying to call Dwayne up to 188.8.131.52, but they no longer exist. I can't get more friendly with Dwayne in order to make him like/respect enough to have his guys help me out. I can't get the 100% friends achievement.
I've got a feeling I'll be adding more to this list.