GTA IV PATCH 6

1,180 replies to this topic
wotsit
  • wotsit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (tpl89 @ May 24 2010, 18:35)
I'm on the verge of buying EFLC, can anyone tell me if the performance is anything like IV is on 1.0.6.0?
If so, there's no way I'm buying it.

Yep. It's the same. Avoid until the next patch comes out, assuming they don't f*ck it up even more.

The re-rendering of the same scene every time you look around just sucks. If they must introduce optimizations like that for lower end systems, they should at least make it configurable on the Options > Graphics screen, so those of us who didn't have a problem with the way it rendered scenes before can continue using the old rendering system.

Likewise with the physics. Perhaps a slider which dictates physics quality. Instead of low, medium, high & very high, they could use text like 1.0.0.6 (low), 1.0.0.4 (medium), 1.0.0.2 (high) & 1.0.0.1 (very high) instead. tounge2.gif

Rockstar Toronto
  • Rockstar Toronto

Rockstar Games Technical Support

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (Marcin6 @ Apr 28 2010, 14:09)
GTA IV in version 1.0.5.0 totally playable on those settings :
user posted image

But in version 1.0.6.0 and in EFLC version 1.1.1.0 totally unplayable even without shadows

Those settings are insanely high in terms of video ram usage with the new shadow solution. We tested similar settings on a fast core I7 with 2 GTX 480's in SLI and seeing a pretty consistant 30fps. The hardware to run this game at FULL MAX settings at 60 fps does not yet exist but the game is coded such that when it does it will take full advantage.

If you want to see the maximum framerate on your setup which is bottlenecked by your CPU, turn all the GPU related settings down to the lowest/Off and run at 800x600 resolution.

Then slowly increase GPU related settings and find a balance between performance and graphic quality.

Each setting has a little message that tells you if it will effect GPU, CPU or both.

The physics are going to feel different if your framerate is lower than it was before. The physics engine has not changed since the game launched.

StillMisters007
  • StillMisters007

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ May 26 2010, 15:38)
Those settings are insanely high in terms of video ram usage with the new shadow solution.  We tested similar settings on a fast core I7 with 2 GTX 480's in SLI and seeing a pretty consistant 30fps.  The hardware to run this game at FULL MAX settings at 60 fps does not yet exist but the game is coded such that when it does it will take full advantage.

If you want to see the maximum framerate on your setup which is bottlenecked by your CPU, turn all the GPU related settings down to the lowest/Off and run at 800x600 resolution.

Then slowly increase GPU related settings and find a balance between performance and graphic quality.

Each setting has a little message that tells you if it will effect GPU, CPU or both.

The physics are going to feel different if your framerate is lower than it was before.  The physics engine has not changed since the game launched.

Hello, my english is bad, but you mayby me understand. When R* make GTA IV, EFLC, why no make good optymalization for this game ?, Only make sh*t, where game works very slow and need i7 and fermi to works very good ^^. Now R* out mayby in 6-7 patch, and this too no fix all bug, lag multiplayer city etc.

The hardware to run this game at FULL MAX settings at 60 fps does not yet exist but the game is coded such that when it does it will take full advantage

Yeah, its true. R* = 2 M$

Simulated-AI
  • Simulated-AI

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:05 PM

user posted image

But in version 1.0.6.0 and in EFLC version 1.1.1.0 totally unplayable even without shadows

Those settings are insanely high in terms of video ram usage with the new shadow solution. We tested similar settings on a fast core I7 with 2 GTX 480's in SLI and seeing a pretty consistant 30fps. The hardware to run this game at FULL MAX settings at 60 fps does not yet exist but the game is coded such that when it does it will take full advantage.

The physics are going to feel different if your framerate is lower than it was before. The physics engine has not changed since the game launched.

So you just raised the requirements for the game with patch 6 and EFLC?

Actually it was running quite good with patch 4 and 5 for me, but now its ruined!!!

WHY?

Astrixone
  • Astrixone

Hustler

• Members

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:12 PM

Comapnies usually want to make their game best looking graphics and also that the game will be able to run and look good with even low hardware, and to work the best on good hardware, but you (R*) which your game is not the best looking game in these days but he does have nice graphics, made it so hard to run it, you need a good hardware to somehow run it and for running it good and to have it looking good you expect people to buy a spaceship....

bodom
  • bodom

bodomTerror

• Members

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (Simulated-AI @ May 26 2010, 19:05)

WHY?

for buy new hardware^^

CrazyBricker
  • CrazyBricker

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:02 AM

QUOTE (domy94 @ May 25 2010, 08:57)
So basically, you patched a modded game? In this case I would recommend reinstalling the game (if you made no backup of the original files), then patch it and only then install the mods. And always make backups in case another patch will be released because then you just have to copy your backup back into the game directory instead of reinstalling the entire game.

Yes, you're right. I didn't think it mattered. Thanks. I want to ask you what files should I back up? I was thinkng all the files in the GTA4 folder and everything in the common folder. Are there any others I should back up? Again, thanks for your help..

nicotin3
  • nicotin3

Thug

• Members

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:02 AM

a fast core I7 with 2 GTX 480's in SLI and seeing a pretty consistant 30fps. The hardware to run this game at FULL MAX settings at 60 fps does not yet exist but the game is coded such that when it does it will take full advantage.

Seriously a killer set up like that should run this old game at 120+ fps confused.gif .

domy94
  • domy94

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:15 PM Edited by domy94, 27 May 2010 - 07:22 PM.

QUOTE (CrazyBricker @ May 27 2010, 06:02)
QUOTE (domy94 @ May 25 2010, 08:57)
So basically, you patched a modded game? In this case I would recommend reinstalling the game (if you made no backup of the original files), then patch it and only then install the mods. And always make backups in case another patch will be released because then you just have to copy your backup back into the game directory instead of reinstalling the entire game.

Yes, you're right. I didn't think it mattered. Thanks. I want to ask you what files should I back up? I was thinkng all the files in the GTA4 folder and everything in the common folder. Are there any others I should back up? Again, thanks for your help..

Simply backup the files you change or replace for a mod. For example: You install a car mod, therefore you have to edit the vehicles.img file in Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\pc\models\cdimages. Before you install the car mod, backup the vehicles.img and only then install the car mod (btw: installing a car mod automatically means the same as editing the vehicles.img).
But if your hard drive is big enough, you can also backup the whole game if you want ... but that's nonsense, actually.

By the way, if you once forgot to backup your files: Try out this one: http://www.gtainside...wnload&id=23076 (start as administrator on Vista/7). First set the game directory, then your DVD-ROM drive, then insert the GTA IV DVD 1 and then choose the file you want to recover. Simple as that. And always install the latest patch after you recovered a file (because they're all 1.0.0.0).

@ Rockstar Toronto: Tell us, why is this game that focussed on futuristic computers? I mean, the console versions are running on nice graphics with a smooth framerate; then how the hell do you only achieve 30fps on that monster of a PC?

CrazyBricker
  • CrazyBricker

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (domy94 @ May 27 2010, 19:15)

Simply backup the files you change or replace for a mod. For example: You install a car mod, therefore you have to edit the vehicles.img file in Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\pc\models\cdimages. Before you install the car mod, backup the vehicles.img and only then install the car mod (btw: installing a car mod automatically means the same as editing the vehicles.img).
But if your hard drive is big enough, you can also backup the whole game if you want ... but that's nonsense, actually.

Thanks for the info. I saved a copy of what I said and I do make a copy of the vehicle.img before I change it. But I don't know exactly what the patches change so I think I will just make a copy of the whole GTA4 folder. I have plenty of room.

QUOTE (domy94 @ May 27 2010, 19:15)

By the way, if you once forgot to backup your files: Try out this one: http://www.gtainside...wnload&id=23076 (start as administrator on Vista/7). First set the game directory, then your DVD-ROM drive, then insert the GTA IV DVD 1 and then choose the file you want to recover. Simple as that. And always install the latest patch after you recovered a file (because they're all 1.0.0.0).

So this will replace any files that were changed after installation? Thanks, I'll try it. I did find that I could go to install it again but I have to choose and I used repair and that got it working after the failed 1.0.6.0 patch didn't work. And I did reinstall it, then applied the patch and it still didn't work. I called thier Tech Support number and the guy said to make sure I have DirectX 11 installed, and I do. So he said I'll have to wait for another patch to be released. He also asked me if I just called him before hand. Someone else did with the same problem with it not running with Win7 64bit. So I'm not alone.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.
John

Rockstar Toronto
  • Rockstar Toronto

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (Simulated-AI @ May 26 2010, 14:05)
user posted image

Actually it was running quite good with patch 4 and 5 for me, but now its ruined!!!

WHY?

We did the opposite, we increased the maximum potential that the game can reach.

We optimized resource usage so that min spec runs better then it did before and looks better too.

"Very High" shadow quality now did not exist before, you were using before is now called "High". If your system ran great before it should still run great now, but you'll need to recalibrate your settings to get it there.

Blissco
  • Blissco

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:25 PM

I'm..... kinda getting the idea we won't be getting a Patch 7 for quite a while...... O.O

TheAdmiester
  • TheAdmiester

Saywha'?

• Members

I think I've already posted about this patch, but I've got 2 things to ask.

1. In EFLC, what happened to the car lights? They're missing an 'on' texture, they just have the glow now. I know there are mods that supposedly fix this, but what 'was' the problem anyway?

2. In IV, I'm getting a problem (both online and off, so it can't be lag) where my car seems to go slow-motion for a fraction of a second (imagine games like CMR:DiRT where stutters are frequent near corners, similar to that where it makes you less able to control the car).

Rockstar Toronto
  • Rockstar Toronto

• Members
  • None

QUOTE (nicotin3 @ May 27 2010, 06:02)
a fast core I7 with 2 GTX 480's in SLI and seeing a pretty consistant 30fps.  The hardware to run this game at FULL MAX settings at 60 fps does not yet exist but the game is coded such that when it does it will take full advantage.

Seriously a killer set up like that should run this old game at 120+ fps confused.gif .

With the right settings we were able to get an average of 50-60fps on this rig.

bodom
  • bodom

bodomTerror

• Members

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ May 27 2010, 21:25)
a fast core I7 with 2 GTX 480's in SLI and seeing a pretty consistant 30fps.  The hardware to run this game at FULL MAX settings at 60 fps does not yet exist but the game is coded such that when it does it will take full advantage.

yes optimized for the future...but believe me there are other games in the future smile.gif

DKT70
  • DKT70

RealityIV Author

• Members

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:23 PM

Rockstar Toronto, is there anyway of turning the static noise filter off, if one is using stock GTAIV, no mods, and patch 6 ?
Or this is only available to TLAD and EFLC owners ?
Short of going through all your shaders and removing any offending shader, I see nothing of this in any of the menus.
I have tried this on stock GTAIV, fresh install and patched directly to 6, no other patches or mods, and in both Vista and Win7 64-bit. This is retail disc, btw, if that helps.

Jigglyass
  • Jigglyass

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:08 AM Edited by JigglyAss, 28 May 2010 - 03:14 AM.

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ May 27 2010, 17:25)

Uhh? I get 30+ FPS with ASUS ROG 5870 2GB with core being at 1050Mhz and Q9650 at 3.6. Settings are completely maxed out at 1080 (Traffic density at 51)
Just a matter of one commandline which is -memrestrict -2097152000. My FPS never dip lower than 30 and i generally get 50-75 in the city and in the airport i get 130. Record was 155, bluntly starring at the blue sky.

Kinda silly you guys need 2 480s (No house fire?) to run the game at 30FPS+ and have general FPS at 60s...
It seems like the game is really focused on the ROP's and TMUs rather on the shaders...

Astrixone
  • Astrixone

Hustler

• Members

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (Rockstar Toronto @ May 27 2010, 21:25)

Yea, but there are some people that FPS is not the problem for them anymore.
After seeing everytime i am playing GTA IV on XBOX 360 after playing on the PC that it seems to be realy slow (because its 25 fps i think) i dont care if my game will run on 25fps. i want it to not have any graphics issues. I can count a few and there people that can even more. Non-smooth textures loading caused by the last version of your shaders (100%), Low draw distance that got nothing to do anymore even with the detail and view distance, the lights on the Empire states (forgot his ingame name) Are not drawn if you are not standing right near them, and when you get back they are gone again, shaders too (100%).

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:46 AM Edited by Sweets, 28 May 2010 - 03:13 PM.

This newest patch is the worst patch yet. Before this patch I was running it at 2048x1152 with every single setting maxed out. Now I can't run it at, or even well below the "autoconfig" setting without getting slowdowns. I can't play MP even with everything set to Medium without getting kicked because my "computer is running too slow"

I've completely given up even trying to play this game, if they ever release a patch that unf*cks this patch I hope I'm still interested enough to hear about it.

Oh yeah, the game does use less resources though, which would be some consolation if it wasn't completely unplayable now.

Blissco
  • Blissco

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:02 PM

Well, I dont really see a massive point in this thread anymore...

Weve got Patch 7!! smile.gif Thx for the "Sexy Time" fix!

wotsit
  • wotsit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (Simulated-AI @ May 26 2010, 19:05)

WHY?

The above response says it all really.

Why, if I've owned a game and been able to play it very smoothly on acceptable (medium to high, with good draw distances) settings for 17 months, would R* up the requirements, force us to use much lower settings on the same equipment? GTA:IV's requirements were so narrow to begin with that many people who upgraded their computers to be able to play it suddenly find themselves in the same boat they were in back in Dec 2008 when the game was all but unplayable except on unacceptably low settings.

While I realise that harcore gamers upgrade their computers frequently, I suspect that most of R*'s target customer-base does not, and it doesn't half generate bad feeling against R* when they pull stunts like this. It makes it worse when these "degrade-half-the-customer-base's-gameplay" patches are compulsory if they with to continue using multiplayer and playing for achievements.

I have no problem with R* upping requirements for a new game (EFLC) provided they're clearly stated, but to change the requirements and/or degrade the gameplay of an existing game is plain wrong.

ivangtaiv
  • ivangtaiv

TheIvaneh

• Members

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:20 PM

We tested similar settings on a fast core I7 with 2 GTX 480's in SLI and seeing a pretty consistant 30fps. The hardware to run this game at FULL MAX settings at 60 fps does not yet exist but the game is coded such that when it does it will take full advantage.

I can't believe I'm reading this. You fail. You fail so hard.

jnzooger
  • jnzooger

Just one of those days...

• Members

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:13 PM

The system requirements aren't getting higher. It just seems that way. What was once Very High is now just High, but Low is still Low. Basically, they have made the game better for those who can run it, but people get confused about the new settings.

Blissco
  • Blissco

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:18 PM

I for one am impressed and dissapointed at the Patch 6...
On my gaming computer (Specs in siggy) I could have easily ran GTA IV Patch 5 on MAX, and now that theres a Patch 6/7, I can run it even higher settings on MAX!
But then, was there really a need for an averae of 20 FPS drop? :S

wotsit
  • wotsit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:29 PM Edited by wotsit, 31 May 2010 - 01:33 PM.

QUOTE (jnzooger @ May 30 2010, 23:13)
The system requirements aren't getting higher. It just seems that way. What was once Very High is now just High, but Low is still Low. Basically, they have made the game better for those who can run it, but people get confused about the new settings.

Before patch 1.0.0.6, I could run the game smoothly on these settings:

Aspect ratio: Auto
Texture Quality: Medium
Reflection Res: High
Water Quality: Very High
Shadow Quality: High
Texture Quality: High
View Distance: 25
Detail: 37
Vehicle Density: 26
Shadow Density: 3
Definition: On
VSync: On

So what should I adjust with Patch 1.0.0.6 to get my old "smooth" gameplay back with similar/same graphics quality?

Just the Water Quality to High? Or do I have to turn all the High settings down to Medium too? I notice other people saying Night Shadows have a negative impact, but setting them to High seems to make little or no difference here.

Something else I noticed about 1.0.0.6 is that Video Clips are enabled again. Weren't they disabled by patch 1.0.0.4 to improve gameplay? Or am I mistaken?

jnzooger
  • jnzooger

Just one of those days...

• Members

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (wotsit @ May 31 2010, 13:29)
QUOTE (jnzooger @ May 30 2010, 23:13)

Before patch 1.0.0.6, I could run the game smoothly on these settings:

Aspect ratio: Auto
Texture Quality: Medium
Reflection Res: High
Water Quality: Very High
Shadow Quality: High
Texture Quality: High
View Distance: 25
Detail: 37
Vehicle Density: 26
Shadow Density: 3
Definition: On
VSync: On

So what should I adjust with Patch 1.0.0.6 to get my old "smooth" gameplay back with similar/same graphics quality?

Just the Water Quality to High? Or do I have to turn all the High settings down to Medium too? I notice other people saying Night Shadows have a negative impact, but setting them to High seems to make little or no difference here.

Something else I noticed about 1.0.0.6 is that Video Clips are enabled again. Weren't they disabled by patch 1.0.0.4 to improve gameplay? Or am I mistaken?

Night shadows = shadow density from what I read.

I'd say that its not an exact science, but lowering water quality and shadow quality should be all you need to do.

wotsit
  • wotsit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:10 PM

Thanks jnzooger! I'll give that a try when I get home later. smile.gif

wotsit
  • wotsit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:46 PM Edited by wotsit, 02 June 2010 - 05:14 PM.

Some more observations after playing GTA:IV and GTA:IV EFLC from scratch with the latest patches:

1) Texture loading priority is now messed up. Foreground textures should take priority over distant textures, but frequently this is not the case. Just now, Niko was talking with Roman, and Roman's shirt wasn't fully rendered. Also, Niko went for a spin in the helicopter with Brucie, and the Helipad 'H' texture hadn't fully loaded even when landing on it. Everything else in these scenes had rendered properly. This problem occasionally extends to the storyline animation screens. The clothing and helipad textures are obviously small/light files and shouldn't be a problem for mid-end cards, never mind my GTX 470.

2) Road textures are frequently 'grayed out' for a couple of seconds. This has always occurred to some extent in GTA:IV (usually when entering the Booth Tunnel), but it plagues 1.0.0.6 all over the city. I suspect these textures are 'alpha overlays'. Ie. 32-bit, transparent textures that contain additional road details, like white lines, potholes, etc.

3) Speaking of alpha texture issues: there is a heck of a lot of flickering going on all over the place now. Alpha texture flickering is a notorious problem with OpenGL and DirectX, but it just got a whole lot worse in GTA:IV with this patch. It is seriously bad.

4) Texture quality is not consistent between GTA:IV and EFLC using same settings. Most glaring example: Tall, cylindrical building lit-up in lights on the corner of Kunzite Street and Burlesque. Approach it from the North in GTA:IV and it is not blurry and the animated words (NASDAQ, etc.) can be read clearly. In EFLC, the render time is much longer and the building doesn't fully render until you're much closer. Same settings (those I've listed above, actually). One example of many.

5) Dwayne. GTA:IV. I can't hang out with him anymore? I've almost completed the game again and I chose to kill Playboy in the relevant mission, not Dwayne, but I just get the latter's answerphone every time I call him now. I remember replying to an email from Dwayne saying we should hang out, but no play. I'm pretty sure bowling, strip club, etc., were options when trying to call Dwayne up to 1.0.0.4, but they no longer exist. I can't get more friendly with Dwayne in order to make him like/respect enough to have his guys help me out. I can't get the 100% friends achievement.

I've got a feeling I'll be adding more to this list.

wotsit
  • wotsit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:14 PM

And I've just discovered that the Dwayne thing is a much older bug. Only way to fix it is by starting a new game or reverting to an old save (before the killing of Playboy X) and crossing fingers. *sigh*

Jigglyass
  • Jigglyass

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (wotsit @ Jun 2 2010, 13:14)
And I've just discovered that the Dwayne thing is a much older bug. Only way to fix it is by starting a new game or reverting to an old save (before the killing of Playboy X) and crossing fingers. *sigh*

You need to define a memrestrict. How much MB of VRAM does the game see in the graphics options for you?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users