Grand Theft Auto: Saint City

40 replies to this topic
gamesguru
  • gamesguru

High Roller

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:42 PM Edited by gamesguru, 3 weeks ago.

Check the google cache you nosey bastard. - gg 2017

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

High Roller

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:44 PM Edited by gamesguru, 3 weeks ago.

-

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

High Roller

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:46 PM Edited by gamesguru, 3 weeks ago.

-

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

High Roller

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:47 PM Edited by gamesguru, 3 weeks ago.

-

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

High Roller

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:48 PM Edited by gamesguru, 3 weeks ago.

-

Lunatic8randon
  • Lunatic8randon

Rat

• Members

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:31 PM

Sounds very good.

I think some people may complain about a game taking place in New Orleans after Katrina but I like it.

I also like your your weapon system but again I think some people might have a problem with it. Are you going to have snipers for large weapons and maybe you could add a sawed-off double barrel to the small guns?

Co-op and your multiplayer ideas sound like great additions.

Kwandilibro
  • Kwandilibro

Be eye itch.

• Members

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:44 PM

the rap sation is new orleans, but almost every song is from new york? also, more weapons.

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

High Roller

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:46 PM Edited by gamesguru, 06 April 2010 - 07:54 PM.

Thanks for the feedback. Taking place just over a year after Hurricane Katrina is definitely a touchy subject. Of course it wouldn't be noted as Katrina, instead obviously a GTA twist in it's place (different name, events). I think it would make for a great story in a game, movie, book, etc.

Also, I meant to put a sniper in the list, thanks for pointing that out blush.gif .

As for the realism, I think it can work. Of course Multiplayer would be a lot more lenient (with the inclusion of Boats & a Helicopter). But I want Saint City to be something that is gritty, and a struggle. I mean, a shoot-out with 3 cops can be as exhilarating as a battle with a whole nations worth if you get the atmosphere and gameplay mechanics right.

EDIT: ^It doesn't matter where the music is from, as long as it encapsulates the right 'sound' and 'feel'. Which is meant to be gritty and urban. Besides, the only artist I know form the top of my head that is from New Orleans is Lil' Wanye, and he doesn't have that vibe. Besides, if I listen to a rap station here (in London), it's not all Rap from London, it's from all around. The same goes for a lot of stations rap or not. I don't mind putting some more New Orleans artists in there, if you could name me a few.

Kwandilibro
  • Kwandilibro

Be eye itch.

• Members

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE (gamesguru @ Apr 6 2010, 15:46)
Thanks for the feedback. Taking place just over a year after Hurricane Katrina is definitely a touchy subject. Of course it wouldn't be noted as Katrina, instead obviously a GTA twist in it's place (different name, events). I think it would make for a great story in a game, movie, book, etc.

Also, I meant to put a sniper in the list, thanks for pointing that out blush.gif .

As for the realism, I think it can work. Of course Multiplayer would be a lot more lenient (with the inclusion of Boats & a Helicopter). But I want Saint City to be something that is gritty, and a struggle. I mean, a shoot-out with 3 cops can be as exhilarating as a battle with a whole nations worth if you get the atmosphere and gameplay mechanics right.

EDIT: ^It doesn't matter where the music is from, as long as it encapsulates the right 'sound' and 'feel'. Which is meant to be gritty and urban. Besides, the only artist I know form the top of my head that is from New Orleans is Lil' Wanye, and he doesn't have that vibe. Besides, if I listen to a rap station here (in London), it's not all Rap from London, it's from all around. The same goes for a lot of stations rap or not. I don't mind putting some more New Orleans artists in there, if you could name me a few.

yeah i like most of the ideas, but like for example, for small guns; if theyre combined into 1 cateegory, their should be more like 3 of each. like a mac, tec9, and something high powered like a p90. and for a handgun a glock, a revolver, and a desert eagle or silenced pistol. and as for the rap, ill help with that

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

High Roller

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:08 PM

Okay cool.
I didn't want too many guns, seeing as the guy you play as is poor, has just got out of prison and lives in a destroyed area of Saint City. I will be including more stuff in the DLC section, and guns are definitely an area I will be looking into.

_Rob_
  • _Rob_

Game Dev, Graphics Artist

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:16 PM

Very nice, not really into these fantasy GTA topics myself but this one has a certain shine too it smile.gif , especially the dual wielding of pistols and uzi's

unknowngtafan
  • unknowngtafan

Trick

• Members

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:18 PM

honestly man seems almost identical to saints row. hell even the achievements are comparable. You even named the city, Saint City. Sorry man if i wanted to play saints row i would i dont want an saints row gta v

RomanViking
  • RomanViking

Labyrinth

• Members

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (gamesguru @ Apr 6 2010, 12:46)
As for the realism, I think it can work.

I want Saint City to be something that is gritty, and a struggle. I mean, a shoot-out with 3 cops can be as exhilarating as a battle with a whole nations worth if you get the atmosphere and gameplay mechanics right.

Yeah I agree with what you said here. Shootouts, and other things such as car chases can be exhilarating and genuinely intense if they're done realistically, & exceptionally well. The sequences from GTA IV are rarely very fun because the game doesn't control very well, and other things such as reactions (like when a car crashes) aren't very well done... I guess the gist of what I'm saying is that shootouts and car chases, etc.. in GTA IV are not visceral enough..

About the thread as a whole. You need some actual information about the city. TBH, I've been to New Orleans (4-5 years ago) and the only noteworthy places were the French Quarter and the occasional old plantation mansion.. Most of New Orleans is a lot like most American cities with mostly suburbs and very few interesting urban areas.

I will say that I liked New Orleans much better than most American cities I've been to. The swamps and Bayou are quite real (though not nearly as thick or dark as tradition suggest, at least not anymore..).

In the end, New Orleans was probably a much more vibrant and noteworthy place 100 years ago, before private cars became widespread and North American cities were built to accommodate them.. So pretty much way back when the streets were narrow, public transit was used more, and sleazy places were more common.

^That was golden age of America, before cars and suburbs became the majority. Because modern New Orleans is only a shadow of what it was 100 years ago.

And the recent flood too.. But if some idiots get upset about a GTA game being set in New Orleans, we can just ignore them like always because their retarded ignorant opinion doesn't me jack to us right?

SilentSeas
  • SilentSeas

Formerly 02fishera

• Members
  • England

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (unknowngtafan @ Apr 6 2010, 20:18)
honestly man seems almost identical to saints row. hell even the achievements are comparable. You even named the city, Saint City.

This. It does come across as an arcady concept. But that doesn't bother me because I like it. Keep it up icon14.gif

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

High Roller

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:41 PM Edited by gamesguru, 06 April 2010 - 08:46 PM.

Thanks for the insight.
I'm currently making a map, but not even being to North America let alone New Orleans, it is harder for me to get an overall representation that stays true to the real thing. If however it is not, I could just pin it as a map similar to that of GTA III. As in the GTA III map was a take on the East Coast, yet it struck the biggest resemblance to New York.

The South Side of the map, will be the most atmospheric and most thought out, because the majority of the game would take place there; with the devastation and circumstances being what provokes gameplay mechanics like Drug Dealing and Gang Shoot-outs. At the moment, I've split the map into two. North & South. The South has of course the 'effected' areas, and the North has the French Quarter, Business District and another Suburb Area at the most Northern area of the map. To the right of the North Island is two smaller islands which also are partly abandoned, additionally containing factories, plants and a few Ships washed ashore.

EDIT: The only thing I took from Saints Row is the Weapon Selection and RB/R1 for running (I haven't even checked the Saints Row 1/2 Achievements). The reason it is called Saint City is because that was the best sounding of all the nicknames (to me) for New Orleans. Also, I don't see how it is 'arcadey' confused.gif . Besides, there is a lot more stuff in here that Saints Row 2 doesn't have, than stuff that Saints Row does.

Kwandilibro
  • Kwandilibro

Be eye itch.

• Members

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (gamesguru @ Apr 6 2010, 16:08)
Okay cool.
I didn't want too many guns, seeing as the guy you play as is poor, has just got out of prison and lives in a destroyed area of Saint City. I will be including more stuff in the DLC section, and guns are definitely an area I will be looking into.

the only thing about gangs and guns... no matter where they are, even in london. street guns for gangs are very easy to find. and in the south US, theyr even easier. ak47s, m16s, macs, tec9s, glocks, desert eagles, all easy for gangs to get. even in new york city, i knoww an old guy who sells handguns for as little as 25$

SammiiDoogles
  • SammiiDoogles

Where is my mind?

• Members

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:45 PM

I'm still reading through, and I'll post my thoughts on the rest once I'm done but I'd just like to say I dislike the control changes.
It's always useful being able to press down on the d pad to zoom out the map and see whats furhter ahead of you, also replacing the shoot button for an indicate button seems pointless, especially when you've relocated shoot to the A (X on PS3) button.

Your right thumb controls all of the face buttons on the right and the right analog stick, your left does the same for the left. Your right index and forefinger control the right trigger buttons and the same for the left respectively.
If you're having shoot among the right thumb controls, how are you going to aim? because the right stick is also under those controls?

The IV controls were mostly perfect, these seem rather awkward...

The graphics are nice though, I'll post my thoughts on the rest of the topic when I'm done reading.

Lunatic8randon
  • Lunatic8randon

Rat

• Members

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (02fishera @ Apr 6 2010, 20:38)
QUOTE (unknowngtafan @ Apr 6 2010, 20:18)
honestly man seems almost identical to saints row. hell even the achievements are comparable. You even named the city, Saint City.

This. It does come across as an arcady concept. But that doesn't bother me because I like it. Keep it up icon14.gif

I don't really see it, the only thing that made me think Saints Row was nutshots, otherwise this seems pretty serious.

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

High Roller

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:53 PM

@Kwandilibro That is true. I would say that because it is a deserted area, so not many weapons are coming in, especially with the North watching all vehicles and people coming in and out of the Main City. But this topic is a work in progress, so there will be changes made.

@SammiiDoogles: I wanted to make it harder to shoot. You will be able to aim all the time akin to Driver, Saints Row and many other Sandbox games (reticle in the centre of the screen). I could easily just swap A/X with RB/L1 if people don't like A/X. To me the A button feels more natural (maybe less for the PS3 controller as the shape is slightly different).

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Moonraker.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:56 PM Edited by brownbear, 06 April 2010 - 08:58 PM.

Brilliant mate, well done.
I like the fact youve added achievments.

And Kwandilibro, youre right, even in my small town in the south west of England i know of someone who has a gun. And my brother hangs around in bristol and he's known people who have used aks, handguns and beeen convicted of armed robbery.
So guns do get everywhere.

JTbrokerbridge
  • JTbrokerbridge

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:24 PM

great location man fingers crossed next is new orleans. heres a few rappers from there
c-murder
b.g
juvenile
soulja slim(not boy angry.gif )
also you cant set a game in lousiana without the swamps in cajun country
and bring back k-rose moto_whistle.gif

Kwandilibro
  • Kwandilibro

Be eye itch.

• Members

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE (JTbrokerbridge @ Apr 6 2010, 17:24)
great location man fingers crossed next is new orleans. heres a few rappers from there
c-murder
b.g
juvenile
soulja slim(not boy angry.gif )
also you cant set a game in lousiana without the swamps in cajun country
and bring back k-rose moto_whistle.gif

lil boosie and webbie are from baton rouge. not new orleans, but still LA. and i checked the radio staion playlists, most southern stations and northern players play the same stuff, southern rap. ill try and make an 07 playlist

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

High Roller

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:26 PM

Well it doesn't have need to be 07 necessarily as I have a few 08-10 songs in that list. I like C-Murder, especially 'Down For My Niggas' so I might put that in the radio list. Also, ff people can help me with the Reggae, Classic & Metal stations, then I would be grateful.

Kwandilibro
  • Kwandilibro

Be eye itch.

• Members

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:54 PM

http://answers.yahoo...3?sid=396545139
thats where i get the top 100 lists cuz theyr hard to find

50 Cent "I Get Money"
Rich Boy f/Polow Da Don "Throw Some D's"
Lil Boosie "Wipe Me Down"
T.I. "Big sh*t Poppin"
Kanye West "Can't Tell Me Nothing"
Plies f/T-Pain "Shawty"
Playaz Circle f/Lil Wayne "Duffle Bag Boy"
UGK f/Outkast "International Player's Anthem"
Gorilla Zoe "Hood Nigga"
Birdman/f/Lil Wayne "Pop Bottles"
Lil Scrappy "Livin In The Projects"
ill try to find some underground NO too

TommyMufc-Champs
  • TommyMufc-Champs

Account ditched. New account Tommy.

• Members

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:41 AM

This is really good GamesGuru. You have went into detail by adding achievements etc which is good.

greyamour
  • greyamour

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:27 AM

I paticularly love the realistic gritty feel to this gamesguru. When are the missions coming out?.

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

High Roller

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:27 PM

Thanks.
I hadn't really though about detailing individual missions. To be honest, I don't have the time for that. But if called for, I can give a quick run through the story sometime.

@Kwandilibro: Thanks for the input, I'll check into the list soon.

bcdownloads
  • bcdownloads

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:19 PM

Very nice idea GamesGuru, could make for a great game smile.gif

Sanjeem
  • Sanjeem

• Members

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:33 PM

This sounds quite Awesome wink.gif