• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic
Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:38 AM

I watched the 5-part video that TheIsolatedAuthor linked to earlier, and during the Q&A someone asked Lazlow about the Michael Hollick (Niko Bellic) paycheck controversy:
QUOTE (Lazlow)
Yeah, Michael Hollick... the main actor did an interview with the New York Times, and did a phenomenal interview, and then towards the end they asked him, you know, how much are you getting paid, and all these kinds of questions, and he sort of got sandbagged, and then the article came out, "oh, he's not happy with his pay," which was not the case at all. Mike's an awesome guy, and we're still working with him.

That's the first I've seen that Hollick and Rockstar are still working together! However, Lazlow went on to say that the game's designers are the ones who put in most of the time and bring the game, and the actor's part in it, to life, and so he doesn't feel too sorry for an actor not being treated like a star.

So what is Rockstar working on with Michael Hollick? I'm intrigued!

Dnero
  • Dnero

Top Dawg

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:58 AM

By still working with them, do you think Rockstar will put him in another GTA or other future games... biggrin.gif I hope so...

Drujba_Dreptatii
  • Drujba_Dreptatii

Chainsaw of justice

• Members

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:01 AM

I have the felling that Niko will be back someday tounge.gif
  • theGTAking101 likes this

G#O$TR!D3R - 133457
  • G#O$TR!D3R - 133457

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE (Drujba_Dreptatii @ Apr 4 2010, 07:01)

Probably in a marginal role like the cameo appearances we saw in SA. I'm really glad that the media hype was just that, media hype.

Vidike
  • Vidike

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:52 AM

That would be great. He is my favorite character
  • theGTAking101 likes this

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:49 PM

I recall reading about Hollick. He's American, right? Yet, he captures the serbian accent well enough for the natives to be impressed. Sounds like he's a great voice artist, so it might not be about Niko at all. Point in case, Nolan North. The man has practically built his career on voice acting, for videogames.

Hayze
  • Hayze

• Members

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (DneroJohnson @ Apr 4 2010, 04:58)
By still working with them, do you think Rockstar will put him in another GTA or other future games... biggrin.gif I hope so...

I haven't played EFLC yet so don't know if they used Niko for new or diff. dialog (which is what I think he might have meant) in those games, but these videos are from either 2008 or 2009. So I think thats what he meant by still working with him. I wouldn't take that as a hint that he might show up in a future game unless it is something like a cameo.

D- Ice
  • D- Ice

Gangsta

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:41 PM

Well he did 15 months of voice acting AND motion capture work for Niko for a measly $100,000 - so ofcourse R* will try to keep him.
I'm actually still surprised how little he got for perhaps the best done character in any GTA title.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:45 PM

Nice! I knew he would be back one day, even though he might not have been happy with his pay, I would have been with that amount of money, but you get paid for what you do.

I would have imagined the media twisted this story around some way, not surprising.

TonyClifton
  • TonyClifton

PR Spokesman for Tony Prince

• Members

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:17 PM

I always thought he did so well as Niko, and I hope he will be back. Fingers crossed.

02fishera
  • 02fishera

PSN ID: TeamTango91

• Members
  • England

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:23 PM

Hollick is my favourite voice actor in GTA so for him to return would be great imo.

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE (Hayze @ Apr 4 2010, 15:34)
QUOTE (DneroJohnson @ Apr 4 2010, 04:58)
By still working with them, do you think Rockstar will put him in another GTA or other future games...  biggrin.gif   I hope so...

I haven't played EFLC yet so don't know if they used Niko for new or diff. dialog (which is what I think he might have meant) in those games, but these videos are from either 2008 or 2009. So I think thats what he meant by still working with him. I wouldn't take that as a hint that he might show up in a future game unless it is something like a cameo.

The video was from after GTA IV was done but before any DLC was out. They didn't record any new dialog for Niko for either of the Episodes (since they take place during the same time, there's nothing new for Niko to say), so "still working with him" would mean another project. Worst case, it could have meant only that they reused his recorded performance in the Episodes, although if that's what it is, that would be kind of aggravating what his complaint was, that he doesn't get paid for reuse, like movie and TV actors do. Best case, maybe he's playing a character in Red Dead Redemption?

LordDastardly
  • LordDastardly

Official LC Hotdog Stand Explosive Defuser

• Members

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:42 AM

I wonder what part he would play in RDR? Not a Serbian, obviously, and he most certainly isn't Marston. Perhaps he only has a minor role?

EDIT: If he is in it at all, he might be in the next GTA.

Restelo94
  • Restelo94

Hustler

• Members

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (LordDastardly @ Apr 5 2010, 09:42)
I wonder what part he would play in RDR? Not a Serbian, obviously, and he most certainly isn't Marston. Perhaps he only has a minor role?

Perhaps another immigrant? Didn't one of the RDR trailers say something about "a variety of accents"?

Comet
  • Comet

They call me that for a reason. :)

• Members

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:26 PM

Ah, so him 'not being happy with his pay' WASN'T true. Good.

I hope to be hearing from Niko soon... o.o

TiRANB
  • TiRANB

Snitch

• Members

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:35 PM

I agree and that would be great!

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:33 PM

I really hope we get to kill Niko. Honestly, it would give the character closure, be emotional for the players who had got attached to the character and be completely unexpected.
  • Ss4gogeta0 likes this

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:55 AM

QUOTE (Restelo94 @ Apr 5 2010, 10:19)

Perhaps another immigrant? Didn't one of the RDR trailers say something about "a variety of accents"?

You know he's not really Serbian or an immigrant. Acting!

EduardKoeleJuck
  • EduardKoeleJuck

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Apr 6 2010, 00:55)

(video)

OMG, listen to 0.49, when he says "okehy, uh..". He sounds so much like Niko then.

Cyrus H
  • Cyrus H

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (D- Ice @ Apr 4 2010, 21:41)
Well he did 15 months of voice acting AND motion capture work for Niko for a measly $100,000 - so ofcourse R* will try to keep him.
I'm actually still surprised how little he got for perhaps the best done character in any GTA title.

This now makes me wonder how much Rockstar Games paid Ray Liotta for just the voice work in Vice City.

JD'O Cool
  • JD'O Cool

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:35 PM

He's probably doing motion capture for the next game and i'm sure Scott Hill and Mario D'Leon (Johnny & Luis) are doing it too.

cultivator
  • cultivator

Rat

• Members

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Apr 6 2010, 00:55)

user posted image

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:03 AM

Why is there so many facepalms from Star Trek...

BuMbLeYbEe93
  • BuMbLeYbEe93

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:46 AM

michael Hollick wasnt just the actor for niko, there were multiple actors that done the stunts/ krav maga etc.. also michael hollick acted as random peds as well.. hes probably doing the same for bogt or maybe even other rockstar productions smile.gif

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

Cleaning the Trash since '94

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:41 AM

I bet he is working for motion capture, if he is doing voices that would be great to
could mean a niko cameo. Also he did ped voices too?

@cultivator: That made my day.

Earyb1
  • Earyb1

Player Hater

• Members
  • Albania

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:51 PM

Why do you all say he's Serbian? Ok I know there's a high likely chance but I still believe he's a kosovar rebel. You may ask why and I say because in one part he wears an albanian bike jacket and there was really no point in that unless they were R* was trying to reference something
  • Purple_Eclipse likes this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:58 PM

Nope, he was wearing albanian jacket, because he was suppose to be albanian for that mission. Great way to not understand story and bump three years old topic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users