GTA 4 - No dialogue audio during cutscenes

16 replies to this topic
Monicreque
  • Monicreque

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:42 AM

Hi,

I have an audio problem in GTA 4, this is a bit strange problem. The game runs ok and sounds fine, except for cutscenes, in which I can hear some background music and noise but no voices whatsoever, so I am missing most of the story. mercie_blink.gif

I have tried Stereo and surround with no difference. Any options I choose in the game menus don't seem to have any effect.

And I don't have noticed any issues with the audio in other games either.

Game is updated to 1.0.0.4
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (up to date)
Ati Catalyst 10.3 (3D options in default)
Auzentech driver for Windows 7 (last version available in gamer mode)
McAfee Viruscan 8.7i

and my hardware is as follows

- 2x ATI 4870X2 in crossfie (tested with Catalyst 10.2 and 10.3, also with 1 and 2 cards in crossfire)
- Auzentech X-fi Prelude 7.1 soundcard (tested all 3 modes, gaming, entertaiment and creation)
- 4Gb DDR2 RAM
- Asus Rampage Formula motherboard
- Intel Core 2 Quad QX9650 @ 3.8Ghz (tested overclocked and stock speed)
- HDD Caviar Black 1Tb
- HDD Velociraptor 150Gb

1 more thing. I think it used to work fine with my previous graphics card, and Nvidia 8800GTX, so the first thing I looked at was the catalyst drivers and its configuration, with no success.

Any suggestions? dontgetit.gif

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:30 PM

GTAIV seems not to like some sound cards. Try messing with sound cards setting, updating the audio driver or using some older on.

Monicreque
  • Monicreque

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:47 PM

Unfortunately, there is only one driver for the Auzentech Prelude 7.1 compatible with Windows 7 so I cannot try different drivers. Windows does not provide one out the box. I tried though uninstalling it completely and re-installing using all default options but no luck.

I configured the speakers as 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 and also headphones, no luck.

Also tried to use digital optical output into my receiver but still no luck.

Not an easy issue to overcome...

I wonder what is so special about the dialogue voices in the cutscenes, because all the other sounds and music in-game are just fine, using surround or stereo.

G#O$TR!D3R - 133457
  • G#O$TR!D3R - 133457

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:57 PM

Has nothing to do with soundcards, I play on ps3 and have the exact same problem. Only on this game as well.

I wonder what is so special about the dialogue voices in the cutscenes, because all the other sounds and music in-game are just fine, using surround or stereo.

A great question, I wonder the same thing. The voice gets cut out, but the rest of the ambience/radio plays normally. Quite odd and really annoying, story is why I play the game. Then again, once you've beat it so many times it loses its luster.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:09 PM

The game probably send the voice component to some channel that doesn't exist.

Do you have some on-board audio you can try out?

Monicreque
  • Monicreque

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:48 PM

Hi,

thanks for the suggestion but I don't have any other audio devices to try. The motherboard shipped with other sound card which I don't have and there is no audio on-board so I use the Auzentech as my only option.

I think that if the issue is that it is sending the voices to channels that don't exist then choosing a stereo setup should fix it since it would mix all signals from all channels into L and R

The fact that above someone describes the same problem happening in PS3 makes it even more odd. (and that's exactly what happens to both of us) I am starting to think it is a code issue in the game audio engine. Something of note is that in the Audio settings it lets you choose between Surround Side and Surround Rear, making no difference as in both cases sounds come only though the Surround Back speakers.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:48 PM

Other people had this problem as well and that's what made me say what I said.

Monicreque
  • Monicreque

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:38 PM

I understand. Thanks anyway.

I even tried forcing the sound to be processed by Alchemy. This results in lots of cracking a popping noises during the game but still no voices.

Maybe someone else knows how to fix it or has any other idea?

Monicreque
  • Monicreque

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:45 PM

Last tests I did was running the game with command line options (using 1 option at a time):

-safemode
-fullspecaudio
-minspecaudio

in the 3 cases no difference, voices still not present. Additionally tried combinations of other options with no result.

At this point I wonder about PC gaming future and how much easier is just to pick up the bloody game on 360 and play. I am running out of patience and reasons to keep trying PC gaming.

Now I am going off topic (right now I can't help it) but the other day I bought Borderlands on Steam to play with a friend and still I haven't been able to create a private game online that works. The game does not use Steamworks and its matchmaking, instead uses crappy gamespy when all my friends are in Steam and none had accounts in gamespy. Coming back to GTA 4, you have to login in 3 different networks to just get to play single player! (Rockstar Social Network, Games For Windows Live and Steam). Guys, this is insane. mercie_blink.gif

Monicreque
  • Monicreque

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:57 PM

Ok, I have finally resolved the issue.

Simply delete the game (option Delete local content) and download it again (I bought it on Steam). Do not apply any updates (aside of Steam itself) and verify the executable version is 1.0.0.4. This worked for me. Haleluyah Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

Lashley
  • Lashley

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:00 PM

BUMP

I have this problem too sad.gif

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:25 PM

Read the post above you. If it didn't solve it, post more details about your problem please. smile.gif

Lashley
  • Lashley

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:33 PM

I'm on latest version and like to play MP though sad.gif

adii5882
  • adii5882

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

sorry to bump this...
i just reinstall gta iv to my new pc...
everything is fine except no audio during cutscenes...

here my spec...
Windows 7 64bit

Asus P8Z68-V LX
i5 2500k
GTX 570
2 x 4gb ddr3

btw my mobo have 5.1 sound...
but i am using headphones...
i tried using speaker but still no sound...
and i am using hdmi for display...

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:31 AM Edited by mkey82, 06 July 2012 - 05:34 AM.

Where did you connect the headphones? It's probably a problem with the audio over HDMI, however I have really no experience with that sort of thing and directing you will be impossible. Look for an HDMI audio option in the GPU control panel.

Check this, if applicable in your situation http://www.mediacoll...i/pc-audio.html

BDG420
  • BDG420

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:10 AM

I am having the same issue with the complete edition on PS3.

NickStone
  • NickStone

My member doesn't have a title.

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE (G#O$TR!D3R - 133457 @ Saturday, Apr 3 2010, 17:57)
Has nothing to do with soundcards, I play on ps3 and have the exact same problem. Only on this game as well.

I'm having this same problem on GTAIV as well. I can't sit through the whole pre-game intro without the sound *eventually* cutting out, about halfway through. Longer in-game cutscenes do that as well, and I can't get through one comedy club act without the sound cutting out. And it's not just voice, it's everything.

I did once find that the second run-through of the same cutscene will work...like, if I fail the first GTAIV mission (Cousins Bellic) and have it run the intro again, then it works. It's just annoying to have to repeatedly do this. I like following the storyline, every time I play through it.

I'm playing the game from the disc, on a "PS3 Slimmer". I didn't have this problem on my PS3 Slim, so it could be the disc, or the system. I can't go back to the PS3 Slim because it no longer reads discs at a reasonable speed (takes forever to load, that's why I got myself a new PS3).

Might just purchase GTAIV through the PSN Store for twenty bucks, and hope that fixes it. I'd rather buy all my games that way anyway, since it loads faster smile.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users