» «
Photo

Taking the torch back

42 replies to this topic
Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:05 AM Edited by Craig Kostelecky, 25 March 2010 - 05:18 AM.

Well, this may be a mistake on my end, but I'm going to give it a try.

I gave more than two years of my life leading this project and since I've given it up I've watched it slowly die. I don't like that. I'm also at a point in my life where I have very little free time. But I need a distraction from my life during my few free moments. So I want to get this thing going again. Hopefully my actions will motivate others to help because I cannot do much on my own. This may not last long as my current situation (and no I won't elaborate on what's going on in this public forum, and I'll choose who to share it with privately) may not be more than a few weeks or months. At any point things could go back to the way they were a few days ago for me. My first priority is to my two boys (15 months and 3 months old).

But in that short time I will give an effort to reignite this mod. It felt really good to see spaceeinstein post something here as I've valued his contributions greatly. I hope he has more to give. And if some of the old guys (ModelingMan, Hammer83, PatrickW, SteaVor, hell even Demarest) want to get involved again, I would LOVE that. And I will also welcome any new blood to this mod. The things that need doing are not that difficult (in theory). We're not creating anything new, just trying to make old stuff work on the new(er) engine.

This project deserves at least one more major polished release. The way I see it, there's a few scm bugs to fix, which I will work on to the best of my ability. Some more exe hacking may need to be done to finish that properly. There's also a few peds to convert. I'm not worried about the random pedestrians on the street, but all of the actors called by the script should be converted. There's a few minor map glitches that we need to sort out.

So come on and join me. Let's give this thing one more chance!

EDIT: And just to clarify something, we'll be using Sanny Builder now for the scm. Barton's builders are deader than this mod.

krause.799
  • krause.799

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:54 PM

DO IT biggrin.gif

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:34 AM

I've rarely ventured into this part of the forum except for the time I downloaded the mod (which is f*cking awesome BTW).

I don't think people ever come to this part of the forums, mainly because they think this mod is dead.

You need to get in contact with many of the great modders here pronto if you're resurrecting this piece of art.

You have to spread the word man colgate.gif

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:49 AM

I haven't seen anybody that I've worked with on this mod even online since I started up again. I'm sure some of them stop by every few moons to see if anything's new, so maybe they'll show up at some point. Whether any of them have the desire to do anymore is another question.

But this isn't too hard of work for any modders with moderate experience. And it's a great way to learn more. I know I've learned a lot about the GTA engine.

Since I haven't been very active over the last few years, I don't even know who the talented modders are. I do know this mod has a completely open door policy. If ANYbody can do the work that needs to be done, they are officially part of the team. There's a lot that I do not know how to do. So if anybody knows anybody who has some experience in character modeling, map editing, pedestrian path files, and maybe some exe hacking, I would love their help.

Ziero_1986
  • Ziero_1986

BTTF: Liberty City Mod Team

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:40 PM

I would like to see this fired up again, since LC was my fav city and I'd like to see it with VC's abilities... Speaking of, have you heard anything from Blue over at BTTF Hill Valley about the HV mod for this?

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:53 PM

Yes. I worked with him for a while back in November last year. I even put all of his DeLorean effects into my custom LC folder. It doesn't do time travel or anything like that, it just animates the wheels and allows the flying car to shoot forward better. I still have a separate official LC folder. I may release that as a separate download at some point. Sometimes I'll just play that while I get as many wanted stars as possible in my indestructible, impossible to catch DeLorean.

The work that team has done, especially bluespace88 has been unbelievable to me. I never thought the VC engine could do so much.

krause.799
  • krause.799

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:34 AM

so any 'eta' on the final version? I'm honestly just hoping for a moddable Claude and working interriors of clothing stores and such

krause.799
  • krause.799

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:42 AM

ALSO try to get in touch with dingleman, he is also working on lcsa

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:44 AM

There's no ETA on anything. Right now I'm the only one doing anything and my progress has been slow. In a few weeks I'm expecting some help from a very influential team member, so it should start to pick up after that. But either way, things will likely continue to move slowly.

I'm not sure what you mean by a moddable Claude. And working interiors and clothing shops will all be unofficial add-ons that will not be developed directly by the team.

My goal for the "final" release is to simply get all or most of the peds converted, all of the major scm bugs fixed, and all mapping issues sorted out. Going for anything beyond that moves the release date from "sometime hopefully in the near future" to "likely never."

I have no idea who dingleman is. But I would welcome anybody's help who has the knowledge and desire.

NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

member_title

• Feroci Racing
  • European-Union
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ Mar 25 2010, 02:05)
Some more exe hacking may need to be done to finish that properly.

I'm one of the few people left who can still do EXE hacking, and I'm interested in helping with the finalization of this legendary mod. smile.gif

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:56 PM

Thanks and good luck!

One of the issues we wanted to work on was a way to accurately duplicate the behavior of opcode 03f8 (used in Plaster Blaster) in the Vice City engine. We know that when 03f8 is called it looks at a variable that's defined and controlled by the exe. But we'd have to duplicate all of that too.

There's some discussion about that opcode in the last couple of pages in the BUGS thread. There's also more here.

Don't worry at this point about incorporating any exe changes into the launcher or other files. It would probably be easiest to just work on the exe directly for testing and then when it's all figured out, we'll integrate it.

I hope you're able to figure something out. I'd love to include more people into this mod as well.

Also, is there a difference between the GTA3 and VC 0123 opcode (has actor spotted player)? Sayonara Salvatore doesn't seem to work right and that may be one reason why.

MadcapSmoky22
  • MadcapSmoky22

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:50 PM

OMG can't believe dis, I thought the mod was done already (in both ways, finished and no interest in it meaning it was dead) good luck is all I can wish unless i can help- can't texture or model, I only know scripting a lil bit (in San Andreas though, I believe I could quickly learn VC's scm) most of .dat editing and that's all unfortunely.

NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

member_title

• Feroci Racing
  • European-Union

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:45 PM Edited by NTAuthority, 06 April 2010 - 01:07 PM.

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ Apr 4 2010, 19:56)
One of the issues we wanted to work on was a way to accurately duplicate the behavior of opcode 03f8 (used in Plaster Blaster) in the Vice City engine. We know that when 03f8 is called it looks at a variable that's defined and controlled by the exe. But we'd have to duplicate all of that too.

The variable is set only for an created object matching the 'bodycast' ID, and appears to be some sort of altered health value, which also alters another flag in the CObject::ObjectDamage routine, possibly meant for fine-grained damage control. It's also used in a block which plays the 'breaking' sound and some other stuff in CAutomobile::ProcessEntityCollision... typical 'game-specific' opcode. tounge.gif It looks like it's easy to implement, but I'll very likely need to alter the script code to test it, and I never got the old BW mission builders to work. sad.gif

Also, is there a difference between the GTA3 and VC 0123 opcode (has actor spotted player)? Sayonara Salvatore doesn't seem to work right and that may be one reason why.

Another parameter has been added to CPed::OurPedCanSeeThisOne, but 0123 has it set to 0 still. However, the second parameter to CWorld::ProcessLineOfSight now also gets Z adjustment, which it didn't get in VC III, so that might be an issue.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE (NTAuthority @ Apr 6 2010, 07:45)
0123 has it set to 0 still. However, the second parameter to CWorld::ProcessLineOfSight now also gets Z adjustment, which it didn't get in VC III, so that might be an issue.

That's exactly what I was expecting you to find. In Sayonara Salvatore in GTA3 you could hide out on the rooftops and snipe Salvatore as he left the club. With the same code in LC, they see you on the roof.

So if we can change 0123 to have the same Z axis behavior, that would allow that mission to play properly. The only thing I'd have to change in the scm is getting Sal to go to the cars properly as it's still a little buggy.

Do you need a compiled script for testing? Just let me know what you need and I'll hook you up. I'm also using Sanny Builder to compile the script.

NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

member_title

• Feroci Racing
  • European-Union

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ Apr 7 2010, 01:32)
That's exactly what I was expecting you to find. In Sayonara Salvatore in GTA3 you could hide out on the rooftops and snipe Salvatore as he left the club. With the same code in LC, they see you on the roof.

So if we can change 0123 to have the same Z axis behavior, that would allow that mission to play properly. The only thing I'd have to change in the scm is getting Sal to go to the cars properly as it's still a little buggy.

I've tried to remove the Z axis adjustment, but couldn't test it since in the version I have 1) the time given by Sayonara Salvatore in the text is 3 hours early and 2) when the time passed, nothing happened - Salvatore and the guards just stood behind the club, and that's not exactly testable. sad.gif

Anyway, I've uploaded the 'fix' at http://files.dotbas....otBehaviour.asi - source code'll come if it works. tounge.gif

Do you need a compiled script for testing? Just let me know what you need and I'll hook you up. I'm also using Sanny Builder to compile the script.

Since the current script is not working, and I can't recompile for changes (I'd, for instance, need to recompile for re-enabling 03F8, as it's very mission-specific) an usable source version could be very useful. smile.gif

Also, I've seen 'destination' blips and pickup coronas are still pink, do you already have a fix, or should I whip one up? I've already found where this corona's created, just need to change the used color. smile.gif

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:13 PM Edited by Craig Kostelecky, 07 April 2010 - 06:03 PM.

Yes by all means change that color (if that's the way it's supposed to be in GTA3 of course, it's been ages since I've played the original).

I will try to get you a script with my updated Salvatore code and with 03F8 enabled. In my current version of SS, everybody will walk out to the street properly if the player is not seen, but Salvatore will not enter the car, he'll just stand there waiting to be shot. I just didn't have time to fix that part. My time today is very limited and tomorrow I am building a house for Habitat for Humanity, so I'll be unavailable until Thursday night.

Here is the scm with what you should need.

I also had a quick test of Sayonara Salvatore. It seems to play correctly if you're on the roof of either building.

So, Sayonara Salvatore is almost complete. I just need to tweak the timing of Salvatore leaving the club (it's sped up now for quicker testing), make sure Salvatore gets in the car when he's supposed to, and just test multiple ways of passing or failing the mission.

The script I uploaded here should allow anybody else to test Sayonara Salvatore. Please let me know what you think so far. Plaster Blaster will likely crash until 03F8 is enabled.

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:46 PM Edited by spaceeinstein, 08 April 2010 - 03:45 PM.

It's cool to see NTAuthority working here. This project is finally getting a huge jolt after a long time of hibernation.

I have recently found cool things with pickup types. During "A Drop in the Ocean", instead of creating a pickup and checking if the player goes through the area, use pickup type 13 instead. The pickup actually bobs up and down with the water and you can drive through it to pick it up. So in the end, just replace 035B with 0213 type 13.

I think there was a mistake naming 033B. The last time I tested it, the opcode checks if the plane has completed its path, not if it landed. I don't know if this would affect the current coding of "S.A.M." but just to let you know.

I have compiled a list of vehicles that are spawned using 03C5. I don't know if this opcode has been converted yet but you can see there are some minor differences.

Why was $HOODS_DEFUSAL_GARAGE set to type 1? The original type 14 works perfectly fine in VC. Was that the source of the problem for the mission?

There's a weird thing involving 030D. If you start a new game using a German language, the total mission points is decreased by 2 from the set amount. Is the German version of VC missing two missions? This might affect 100% completion for this mod if people are playing with the German language.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:17 AM Edited by Craig Kostelecky, 09 April 2010 - 03:51 AM.

QUOTE (spaceeinstein @ Apr 8 2010, 09:46)
Why was $HOODS_DEFUSAL_GARAGE set to type 1? The original type 14 works perfectly fine in VC. Was that the source of the problem for the mission?

There's a weird thing involving 030D. If you start a new game using a German language, the total mission points is decreased by 2 from the set amount. Is the German version of VC missing two missions? This might affect 100% completion for this mod if people are playing with the German language.

Rigged to Blow was one of the very first missions I converted. So I probably just didn't know any better when I made the garage. I'll try setting it back to 14 and test it out. Actually, when it's set to type 14, the door closes after the car enters the garage, trapping the vehicle inside. It even closed through the car trapping half of the car in, half out. For me it plays fine set as type 1 (I think).

And that's weird about the German language. As far as I know, the game has access to the exact same scm no matter what language is selected. But that's pure speculation on my part and I would not be surprised if I was wrong.

I feel the same way about NTAuthority. It would be great if more people came by.

Off topic: does anybody know how to get in touch with SteaVor? He hasn't been online here for many moons and one of the links to the latest files is dead. I wanted to update my "official" copy to the last version he finished.

QUOTE (spaceeinstein @ Apr 8 2010, 09:46)
I have recently found cool things with pickup types. During "A Drop in the Ocean", instead of creating a pickup and checking if the player goes through the area, use pickup type 13 instead. The pickup actually bobs up and down with the water and you can drive through it to pick it up. So in the end, just replace 035B with 0213 type 13.

I don't really want to rewrite that mission to fix this as it plays fine, but if someone else wants to do it, I will use their code (provided it works of course).

Dylan2112
  • Dylan2112

I'm quite aware; my screen name SUCKS...

• Members

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:42 AM

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ Apr 8 2010, 20:17)
Off topic: does anybody know how to get in touch with SteaVor? He hasn't been online here for many moons and one of the links to the latest files is dead. I wanted to update my "official" copy to the last version he finished.

I have the original file (thanks to someone who recently gave it to me whose name I cannot remember...Very sorry!). If you want, I can send it to you. I also have SteaVor's E-mail address somewhere if you want that too.

Weirdo.
  • Weirdo.

Some crazy stuff on that internet!

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE (ITBTD @ Apr 8 2010, 20:42)
(thanks to someone who recently gave it to me whose name I cannot remember...Very sorry!)

Hello! Apology accepted. Just glad to help in any way.

Here's the linky again, in-case someone else is viewing this topic:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lndd6t

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:21 AM

Thanks for that, however there was one file that was newer as it's namee GTALC-Update20090908.zip. Does anybody have that file?

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Feroci Racing

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:55 PM

I've been browsing GTAF for about a month now and I'm happy to see this mod is coming alive again.

In about 4-5 weeks I'm going to have some extra time on my hands and I plan on using that time to work with you folks in completing this mod (it'd be great to get back to some proper programming; Objective-C is quite annoying). It would be good to see the checklist emptied after all these years.

My plans are to scrap the IIItoVC module (it's sloppiness is unmaintainable and it's apparent that it has caused much problems), convert the launcher/gta-lc.asi to C++ and build upon that by adding hacks similar to those which are in IIItoVC (but tidier). This would be contained in a dinput8 proxy dll basically taking away the need to use a launcher to execute VC/LC.

Something I'd like to look back into is making VC compatible with III pedestrian models. A couple questions arise here... Would this render VC peds unusable? No, make VC compatible with both. What about animations that aren't in III? Do an automated conversion of animations (much like how Hammer did, only in reverse). Of course, if this fails I have another plan to automate the ped conversion process.

I can't remember anything else I have planned off the top of my head just now, but I look foward to working on this again.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:20 PM

I look forward to you contributing again (very much so!) And yes, this is the former member I alluded to earlier.

I give you full reign to do what you think is necessary with all the files. My only concern is that it works as best as we can get it. In the meantime, guys like NTAuthority are digging into the exe to fix some issues. But in the end, I'd like to see everybody's work consolidated into as few files as possible.

Hopefully by the time you're able to help, I'll still be active. Even if I am not able to continue my work down the road, I plan on continuing a leadership role (unless someone else can do the job better) until we finish our major release (GTA:LC Final v1).

Weirdo.
  • Weirdo.

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:38 AM Edited by Weirdo., 10 April 2010 - 01:41 AM.

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ Apr 9 2010, 03:21)
Thanks for that, however there was one file that was newer as it's namee GTALC-Update20090908.zip. Does anybody have that file?

That's what it is, the September update. I rearchived it in a .RAR file.

Something I'd like to look back into is making VC compatible with III pedestrian models. A couple questions arise here... Would this render VC peds unusable? No, make VC compatible with both. What about animations that aren't in III? Do an automated conversion of animations (much like how Hammer did, only in reverse). Of course, if this fails I have another plan to automate the ped conversion process.

I remember seeing your original post on that and I wondered, "Wouldn't that mean downgrading from bone animation to III's clunky special version of vertex animation?"

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:41 AM

Why would the files have been renamed to say it was two days earlier?

Weirdo.
  • Weirdo.

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:13 AM

I see. I did not notice that SteaVor updated the files after the sixth. Odd.

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:21 AM Edited by spaceeinstein, 10 April 2010 - 11:09 AM.

An odd thing with the code you uploaded is that Sanny Builder hangs for a while before finishing compiling. I never had experienced that before. I'll try to isolate that oddity after testing the code.

I just tried out the defusal garage and am banging my head into the keyboard. My documentation on garages couldn't have been this wrong. Back to VC...

Here's an update for the INI file. Opcodes were mainly added (over 30 wow.gif ) and some ridiculously misnamed opcodes were fixed. The next time you decompile, you would see corrected descriptions. If you want to use the replace feature in Sanny Builder to fix the descriptions for the source code:

Find all
"0168: show_on_radar"
and replace with
"0168: set_blip_size"

Find all
"run_away_from_car"
and replace with
"attack"

Find
8383: NOT player $DB2_IceCreamVan car_horn_activated == true
replace with
8383: NOT car $DB2_IceCreamVan special_horn_on

Find
02DD: set_actor $PED_FOR_TAXIMISSION creation_zone 'VICE_C' 1 1 1
replace with
02DD: $PED_FOR_TAXIMISSION = get_random_ped_in_zone 'VICE_C' with_pedtype_civilian 1 gang 1 criminal/prostitute 1

NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

member_title

• Feroci Racing
  • European-Union

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE (spaceeinstein @ Apr 8 2010, 15:46)

One of these things is that German versions of III/VC miss rampages. The other, I don't know, it could be rampages take 2 progress points?

QUOTE (ModelingMan)

My plans are to scrap the IIItoVC module (it's sloppiness is unmaintainable and it's apparent that it has caused much problems), convert the launcher/gta-lc.asi to C++ and build upon that by adding hacks similar to those which are in IIItoVC (but tidier). This would be contained in a dinput8 proxy dll basically taking away the need to use a launcher to execute VC/LC.

I guessed it to be a bit oddly implemented already -- otherwise it shouldn't have had to be reverted, right? tounge.gif The launcher/its asi were originally implemented using Delphi -- odd. tounge.gif Why proxy dinput8? Does the launcher do things before mss32 performs ASI loading?

(funny, most people who do proxying and do it right proxy dinput8.dll -- even I did so with Bully tounge.gif )

Ouch, you're planning on forward-porting a lost 'feature' (even if it's a step back, it's still a feature), but not just any feature, but a major feature. It is something that, if it succeeds, could be an huge help -- but it should be hard to make succeed since the CPedIK and similar functions seem to be really, well, complex. Even more so in assembly. tounge.gif

The 'other plan', I'm wondering what that'd be... tounge.gif

(even more funny, I'm planning to modify SA and its anims to take VC peds. why do people converting large portions of games always think like that?)

Still, great to see MM back again! (pssh, I hope the pager will make its return. text boxes are so not III)

(anyway, I've been gone for a while, partially broken HDD, been trying to save all I can, now I only have to get Windows bootable again)

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Feroci Racing

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE (NTAuthority @ Apr 10 2010, 09:36)
I guessed it to be a bit oddly implemented already -- otherwise it shouldn't have had to be reverted, right? tounge.gif The launcher/its asi were originally implemented using Delphi -- odd. tounge.gif Why proxy dinput8? Does the launcher do things before mss32 performs ASI loading?

Yes I believe there are some things in the launcher which need to be initialised before the execution of the game.
Using a dinput8 proxy is useful to those who use DX hooks (speedo, VC gfx, etc.).

Ouch, you're planning on forward-porting a lost 'feature' (even if it's a step back, it's still a feature), but not just any feature, but a major feature. It is something that, if it succeeds, could be an huge help -- but it should be hard to make succeed since the CPedIK and similar functions seem to be really, well, complex. Even more so in assembly. tounge.gif

It's that complexity that gives me doubts. Yes it's possible, but the amount of time it may take is possibly more than what it's worth. It is a step back, but it is also a step forward to making LC look more authentic.

(pssh, I hope the pager will make its return. text boxes are so not III)

The pager isn't functional??? I'm guessing IIItoVC is broken... (as usual)

Shadow-Link
  • Shadow-Link

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:05 PM

Awesome to see this mod getting some attention again. Keep it up smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users